Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pathologists in India. You will find Pathologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pathologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Ajit SinghYour feedback matters!
There are 27 bones in the human hand. An injury to any one of them or a disease that affects the bones, tendons, muscles or blood vessels in the hand, are the most likely causes for pain in the hand and tenderness.
Some of the most common conditions that cause hand pain are:
De Quervain's Tendinitis: Pain on and around the thumb is the characteristic sign of this condition. This pain may develop gradually or come on suddenly and can travel the length of the thumb and forearm. De Quervain's tendinitis is caused by the swelling of wrist tendons at the base of the thumb. Repetitive actions and overuse are the most common triggers for this condition.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: The symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome are felt mainly in the thumb, index finger and middle finger. This pain is often worse at night and is caused by the swelling of inflamed tendons at the base of the hand that puts pressure on the median nerve. This syndrome can make it very difficult for a person to grip objects.
Fractures: The fracture can cause extreme pain along with stiffness, swelling and loss of movement. A fracture refers to the breaking of a bone and can be of many types including simple fractures, complex fractures, comminuted fractures and compound fractures. The type of fracture dictates the type of treatment required. Spraining a muscle in the hand is another leading cause of pain in the hands.
Arthritis: This is one of the most common causes of pain in the hand that is related to ageing. Arthritis causes loss of cartilage that makes the movement of one bone against the other extremely painful. It may or may not also be accompanied by swelling. When it comes to the hand, arthritis affects the base of the thumb and middle or top joints of the fingers. Osteoarthritis may also cause bony nodules to be formed on the fingers.
- Trigger Finger: This condition is also known as stenosing tenosynovitis. This condition locks the fingers or thumb in a bent position. This condition is triggered by the flexor tendons getting irritated. These tendons control the movements of the thumb and fingers. As the tendon is inflamed, the sheath that surrounds the tendons may also thicken and nodules may form of the affected tendons. People suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, gout and diabetes are at a high risk of suffering from this condition. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an orthopedist.
After doing exercises and returning back I found pain on the left side of my body and after some time I found my testicle on the left side had swollen. I wanted to know if the situation is permanent or I can get rid of the swelling using medicines?
Common cold as well as flu can give rise to various symptoms like body ache as well as a runny or stuffy nose. These symptoms may also arise as a part of other ailments like allergic cold or hay fever. Mild to moderate fever may be experienced in such conditions. One should be able to treat these symptoms at home so as to be more comfortable until the flu or cold abates. Here are a few ways in which you can treat a runny nose and body ache.
- Rest: One of the first and most important thing that you need to do in such a situation is to take ample rest so that your body gets to rejuvenate rather than getting overworked even in these trying conditions. With the help of sleep and rest, you will be able to feel fresh and the body ache will be reduced as well.
- Diet: To begin with, one will need to drink plenty of fluids in order to remain hydrated. This is one of the most important ways of treating cold and flu as the body can get severely dehydrated due to the ailments. Replenishing the body fluids can ensure that the immunity does not suffer. Also, you should have plenty of soup and vegetables so that your immunity gets a boost even as the digestive system is not overworked with overly heavy food which it may have trouble in processing due to the general weakness of the body. But you must remember to eat well and frequently as the body will not go away unless you put sufficient fuel in your system.
- Steaming: Taking hot water steam with a towel draped over your head can help in treating the runny nose. Ensure that you are sitting down at a sturdy table with the steaming kettle or pan in front of you, so that there are no upsets which can lead to burns and accidents.
- Medication: Along with these measures, you must see a doctor so that the condition may be diagnosed properly. The doctor will also check your symptoms and carry out lab tests in order to ensure that there is no infection at play. Also, the doctor can prescribe medicines accordingly with anti-allergy medication like antihistamines to treat rhinitis and peramivir, zanamivir, or other such drugs to treat the flu. These medicines can also make you drowsy and induce sleep which will help your body in getting adequate rest.
- Emergency cases: If the body ache and runny nose come with other symptoms that persistently grow, you must call the doctor immediately. These include constant painful coughing, tightness in the chest, severe sore throat, vomiting, and persistent high fever.