Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Speech Therapists in India. You will find Speech Therapists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Speech Therapists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Speech Therapy Treatment
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Treatment of Hearing Disorders
Treatment of Speech Impairment
Therapy Oral Language
Language Therapy Treatment
Language Stimulation Treatment
Treatment of Learning Dysfunction Disorders
Language Presa Treatment
Oral Motricity Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Abhay KumarYour feedback matters!
I am 21 years old and I have stammering problem sometime and while speeching some particular words like starting from- T, P etc, this starts after age of 15 when my head accidentally hit by a stone, what I do?
Doc, follow up question, im using now hearing aid and I can hear everything around me but still the words are not clear but when I pull out my hearing aids, I can understand them and identified them but in and louder voice. What do you think happen to my ears? Thanks.
Hi !i am a stammer since when I was 5 years old @ 17 years I have started trying to over come it but it's not really working I had tried in many ways it really pushing me down in all aspects can any one help me?
I have stammering problem from the childhood age. I am suffering from lot of times, when I talk anyone else. Sometimes I can't speak a single word than sometimes I speak a sentence also.
My friend son is one and a half years old. He is yet to speak. He says only amma and Appa. Is there any therapy techniques available in market for speech? please help.
My nephew is 3 years old and she hardly weighs 5 kg. She early can speak few words. I did consult so many child specialist but outcome is not that much so which investigation should I do or what kind of specialist should I consult?
My grandson is two years old yet he is not speaking. We are doing speech therapy, can we consult a children phycotist?
My father has polyp in the vocal chord since 5 years. We take homeopathy treatment for that. His voice is so hoarse. He don't have any pain BuT his voice is changed from years. He don't want surgery as in allopathy no other treatment. We also don't take endoscopy from 3 years. What to do. Pls suggest. Is dis matter is serious.
I am in teaching profession and I have to speak for 8-9 hours daily so I want to know that is it medically correct to speak for 8-10 hours daily.
I have pronunciation problem. Sometimes I will pronounce wrong. For example I will speak L for R like these kind. When I'm speaking some times I will feel nervous about what others think about my problem. So, what is the solution for my problem?
There are instances when a kid doesn’t show the usual signs of development compared to their peers. Most parents take it casually thinking that their child will catch up in due course only to find a larger problem associated with it. It is therefore extremely important to discuss speech and language related delays with a medical practitioner to find out whether a child is immature or has a genuine problem which requires medical help. A child can show different signs as per age:
Different age group:
- Within the first 12 months, a baby should be able to relate to his environment and make babbling and cooing sound. It is often observed that by month 9, a baby is capable of stringing sounds after seeing things. If a baby is intently watching objects, but is unable to make any sound, this may be an early symptom of speech or language related problem.
- Between the 12th and the 15th month, a baby should be capable of making a wide array of sounds including few commonly used words. Babies should also be able to take few basic instructions and oblige those.
- Between the age of 18th and 24th months, a baby becomes smart enough to pronounce anywhere in the range of 20 to 50 words. They also start combining words and make simple sentences. They should be capable of identifying common objects and remember their names.
- By the age of 3, a toddler should be smart enough to combine 4-5 words and form sentences. Kids of this age also become smart enough to take straightforward instructions and perform them comfortably. Any deviation on this should be immediately reported to the Doctor.
What are the warning signs?
If a child between the age of 1-2 is not able to do the following things:
- Fails to use gesture
- Use more gesture than vocalising by the age of 18 months
- Produce no voice by 18th-month
- Fails to perform simple instructions
A child between the age of 2-3 needs evaluation if:
- Capable of imitating words but isn’t spontaneous in vocalising
- Repeats certain words multiple times
- The tone of voice is unusual compared to his peers
Possible causes of speech and language delay:
- Problems with palate leading to oral impairments
- Short frenulum restricting sufficient tongue movement to produce speech
- Oral-motor problems leading to speech limitation
- Problems related to hearing
- Chronic infection of the ear leading to speech delay
What does the pathologist assess?
- What can the child speak?
- What can the child understand?
- Oral-motor status
- Clarity of speech
Post the above evaluation a pathologist directs a plan of action. Sometimes speech therapy sessions are recommended in order to improve kids’ skill. For a motor related problem, a doctor can state a plan of action and limit the expectation of parents. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Speech Therapist.