Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Abha GuptaYour feedback matters!
Vaginal dryness is an uncomfortable and painful condition that usually occurs during or after menopause. The estrogen level in your body gets reduced during this time which eventually leads to vaginal dryness. However, there are other factors that can trigger this condition including certain medications and immune disorders. This is a problem that can affect women at any age but it is visible more frequently in older women.
Here are some common factors that may lead to vaginal dryness:
1. Hormonal changes - A decrease in estrogen level that occurs during menopause is one of the most common causes of vaginal dryness. The decrease in estrogen may also occur during perimenopause, during breastfeeding or after childbirth. Radiation and chemotherapy for cancer treatment may also result in a decrease in vaginal lubrication.
2. Irritants - Chemicals present in soaps, dyes, hygiene products and perfumes may cause allergy in some women. Irritants present in underwear or towels and other allergens like objects and lubricants that are placed in the vagina may also cause vaginal dryness.
3. Insufficient arousal - Low libido or other sexual problems may also lead to vaginal dryness. Poor sexual performance and early ejaculation may also contribute to it.
4. Anxiety - Sexual desire can be affected by emotional and psychological factors such as anxiety and stress that may eventually lead to vaginal dryness. High anxiety level in women results in insufficient flow of blood, causing vaginal dryness.
How can vaginal dryness be treated?
Topical estrogen therapy is a common method of treating vaginal dryness caused by low estrogen level. Topical estrogen helps in inserting some hormone that your body is no longer producing. This controls the vaginal symptoms to a certain extent but it does not replace as much estrogen as oral hormone therapy, in your blood stream. Lubricants and moisturizers may also be applied to reduce vaginal dryness and make sex less painful and uncomfortable.
Word of Caution
Please get a PAP Smear done before starting local estrogen and keep a follow up with your doctor.
The recent study says an initial analysis found thousands of chemicals in the clothes and around 100 chemicals were identified. Exposure to these chemicals increases the risk of allergic dermititis. Some of them are suspected or proved carcinogens and some have aquatic toxicity.
The highest concentration of quinolines and aromatic amines were found in polyester. It is difficult to know if the levels of these harmful substances are hazardous and what effects chemicals in our clothes can have in the long run.
I am 33 weeks pregnant now. Am an overweight person. Before pregnancy =74.5kg@33 weeks = 79kgUntil 28 weeks I dint put on weight at all. Since i am overweight I was very conscious about my weight. I didn't maintain any diet but I ate what is sufficient for me and baby. Till now baby is all normal and healthy. But whoever looks at me are shocked and scare me that I am not putting on much weight and baby might be low weight while born n etc etc. I was targeting only 7 kgs for t overall pregnancy weight gain so that I can maintain even after birth. Already I am overweight. I think post consequences as well. Please suggest if am wrong about my pregnancy weight gain.
I am 24 year old female m not married my problem irregular 2 mnth. Se mujhe period nai hue please ask me some medicine Nd solve my problem.
Hello sir, I want ask you one question pls answer me. Muje periods miss hua 5,6 din ho Gaye hai. Muje in Dino kuch thakan, pith me aur Pero me Dard ho Raha hai, khane me Ruchi nahi lag Rahi. Kya me pragnant ho skti hoon?
Hi. I want to ask about pregnancy yesterday me and my gf met but we don't have intercourse I only drop my sperm on her vagina. So I want that she will get pregnant or not is there any chances of pregnancy. My age is 20 and her age is 20.
I am 25 years old girl. Recently,2 months back I got married. Last month I got my periods on 06th June. I am not getting periods this month since it has passed 1 month. I am sure there is no unsafe sex with my husband. I am worried that whether I am pregnant or not. Is there any medicine through which I can have periods or please help me to give proper advice.
The other day I was fooling with my girl friend and I penetrated her for a few seconds. However there was no ejaculation. There may have been some pre cum on my penis though. My girlfriend was on the 4th day of her period and her cycles are generally 32-33 day in length. I heard from various internet sources that pre cum contains sperm which can remain alive for around 5 days inside the vaginal canal and that it is possible for ovulation to happen just as ones period ends. So is there any chance of there being a pregnancy fear. Please do reply. I have been very tensed.
I am 30. I had unsafe sex with my female friend. I had given her unwanted 72 within 12 hours. After that 20 days she didn't get her periods. We went to gynaec sonography reports shows nil but hcg reports positive. We want to get rid of this pregnancy. So what can I do? can she take anti pregnancy pill? what can I do? I am confused. Please help me.
In a normal pregnancy, the egg that the ovaries release enters the fallopian tube. If a sperm fertilises it, the fertilised egg attaches itself inside the uterus. However, sometimes the fertilised egg can attach itself outside the uterus. This condition is called ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic pregnancy can be detected in the first few weeks of the pregnancy itself. If your doctor does discover ectopic pregnancy, you would need immediate medical attention. Ectopic pregnancies can be sad and scary. Fortunately, one ectopic pregnancy doesn't mean you can never conceive again. Many women who lost their first baby to ectopic pregnancy have been able to have a healthy and normal pregnancy the second time around.
The causes of ectopic pregnancy include:
- An inflammation or infection of the fallopian tube can lead it to become entirely or partially blocked.
- Scar tissue from a surgery or an infection of the fallopian tube may also hinder the movement of the fertilised egg.
- Surgery in the tubes or pelvic areas in the past might cause adhesions.
- Birth defects or abnormal growths can cause anomalies in the shape of the tube.
These causes are usually followed by certain risk factors, such as:
- Age (The age group of 35-44 especially)
- An ectopic pregnancy in the past
- Previous abdominal or pelvic surgery
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Several prompted abortions
- Conceiving with an intrauterine device in place
- Endometriosis (growth of uterus lining tissues outside the uterus).
- Fertility treatments.
The signs and symptoms of ectopic pregnancy include:
- Minimal vaginal bleeding
- Vomiting and nausea with pain
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Sharp cramps in the abdomen
- Localised pain (Pain concentrated on one side of your body)
- Pain in your neck, rectum or shoulder
- Rupture of the fallopian tubes can cause fainting due to the bleeding and pain
The treatment of ectopic pregnancy can be any one of the following:
- If the pregnancy has not progressed too far, methotrexate will be administered. This absorbs the pregnancy tissue and can save the fallopian tubes.
- The tubes may be removed if they have ruptured or stretched, and have started bleeding.
- Laparoscopic surgery (operations performed by making minor incisions) may be performed to remove or repair the tubes and recover the ectopic pregnancy. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an IVF Specialist.
Hi I had food poisoning 2 weeks back. I datrted feeling better and had non veg, chips and outside food and again the stomach crampnis back along with vomiting.
Is it true that reading books, hearing music, watching movies, emotions, studying, learning and other activities influences the baby while in pregnancy?
FNAC or FNA stands for fine needle aspiration cytology. This is a simple OPD procedure generally done by pathologists . In this a patient would have a visible swelling or lump. The pathologist will insert a needle in the swelling ,move the needle back and forth, and aspirate ( suck) cells present within the lump. Slides are prepared from these cells aspirated. They then study the cells on a microscope and give a report.
Time required for procedure : few minutes only
Done by : pathologists
Fasting required : not necessary
Any complications of the procedure : usually mild pain for a few minutes, rarely and depending on site of
lump, may experience transient shock, hematoma etc
Report availability : usually by next day .Please check with the doctor performing the procedure.
Special comments :
1. If the swelling is not visible, say it is within the body and detected on scans, then the procedure is done by a Radiologist who localizes the swelling and the pathologist inserts the needle under guidance.
2. Always discuss the report with the pathologist who has done the procedure. Please do not make your own impressions from the report. They may be vastly different from what the pathologist is trying to convey
3. Usually FNAC is diagnostic of parasitic infections .In cases of suspected cancer, report usually says that atypical ( not good looking cells ) present. This needs to be further worked up by biopsy for definite categorization of swelling.
4. Tiny swellings ( usually less than 0.5 cm in diameter ), indiscreet swellings, or swellings that usually cannot be fixed between two fingers generally , should not undergo FNAC procedure - as chances of aspirating cells are pretty low in such cases. So the report would be misleading in most such cases.