Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Veterinarians in India. You will find Veterinarians with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Veterinarians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatments For Birds
Neurosurgery In Dogs And Cats
Services For Birds
Treatment For Reptiles
Veterinary Dental Prophylaxis
Veterinary Surgery Soft Tissue
Submit a review for Dr. A K NijhawanYour feedback matters!
Hi Doctor, We had given all vaccination's to our myson ,who is 2+ , lebra but some time we had noticed that he don't eat and avoid eating any thing. Also we had noticed that he want to have sex but after talking to so many people we are unable to get any friend for him. Would like to kindly suggest in this regards.
I have lhasa apso puppy 50days old he is not drinking water his urin is smell strong. As he not drinking water I give him milk. He eat drools starters.
How to get rid of tics on my lab dog it had layed babies on my lab dog can u suggest me best medicine for it sir?
My dog is not eating food since last three or four days.If we feed her food with spone or our hand then she will eat otherwise she drinkd only mink and eag and left the bread.
Doctor, I have a pet dog named "Messy. He is my favorite.He is 11 months aged dog.He has been diseased for the last 3 week. His back legs became very weak.So he couldnot balance his body when he stand up. And falls down when he tries to walk. His body,especially back legs and stomach portion vibrate like shivering. He couldnot raise his tail. Lachrymal fluid is produced more in the eyes. Doctor said that many dogs in our area have this disease. 3 injections had taken to him. Before 2 days,the following injections had been taken by the doctor. Inj. Neurobion forte-1 Inj. Dexona2ml -1 and also gave the syrup Tefroli But still he is in a critical condition. What will I do doctor? kindly reply to this.
Hello sir i owned a German Shepherd dog & it is 11 months old.From month ago my dog is having huge hair loss & it is not taking food propely than before.We feed it with rice , pedegree & sauce.Please suggest for recovery
I have purchase my puppy from 500km away and travelled in train almost 12 hours. During that night only given milk one time and water. Then from next day I have given milk 3-4 times a day and small amount of time rice with milk continuously 2 days. Then since from last 2 days he is not eating anything and vomiting, dissentry and favour. I have given medicines for favour and vomiting but still he is vomiting but favour comes down. I am confused and very tensed what should I do?
Sir/mam, my dog (5 years old) is suffering with urine problem, i.e. He urinates but dropwise. He is otherwise active n takes meals properly There is no pain in stomach on pressing. Few days back he ate the whole small pack of pedigree and after that this happened. I gave him dexona n now giving norflox400. Pls help.
I have a lab and he has a swelling plus he is limping in his right fore arm. Please suggest medication
I have a dog. Who is 2 month old. So I want to know about her food & diet? As she vomits vry frequently aftr eating anything.
My dog she is 4 year n she is a cross breed of papmareian and street dog she often bites us imspite of being oowner is it normal? And she stays in period for nearly for more than two months and sometimes she get mergi attack where her mouth get stick and she get unconscious couldn't even walk properly
I have 1 month 7 day old beagle he bites a lot and tries to eat everything in the house and bites everyone alot.
It is not unnatural to find some lumps or bumps on your dog’s body, particularly when the dog is approaching its senior years. These growths are among the most common issues found in older dogs. But it can also happen to the younger ones. It is natural to be scared and have doubts whether it is a tumor or a lump or is it cancer. As a dog owner, therefore, you must understand the different types of lumps, bumps and growths on the dogs so that you can consult with a reputed veterinarian without delay.
1. Understanding the lumps, bumps, and growths: The veterinary doctor would refer to an unknown lump as a tumor in a general manner. This term do not indicate the malignity or benignity of the tumor. These terms typically indicate that an abnormal growth of tissues has taken place inside the body which has a shape or is a mass. There is no reason to panic in case your vet says that there is a growth or something of similar significance.
2. Getting the right diagnosis of the lumps on dogs: The dog owners are most likely to notice growth on the dogs while taking it for routine grooming or while petting it. When there is a new growth or tumor on the dog, it is safer to consult with the veterinarian who can carry out a thorough checkup. He would discuss the medical history of the dog which may include daily lifestyle, diet, signs and symptoms of illness and then a physical examination will be performed. It is important to note here that sometimes, the growth may not be noticeable and this is the primary reason why taking it out to an experienced veterinarian is crucial. The expert would be able to find visible masses while carrying out a routine examination.
3. Testing the mass or lump on the dog’s body: When there is a lump or growth on the dog’s body, it is important to carry out some tests such as complete blood count, urinalysis, radiographs revealing signs of metastasis and internal abnormalities, ultrasound, CT scan and certain advanced diagnostics.
In some cases when the lump can be easily accessed, the expert may recommend you to take your dog for a fine needle aspirate which is performed by inserting a small needle into the mass and drawing back the syringe. A little amount of tissue gets accumulated in the syringe which is then tested to determine the character of the lump. When the fine needle aspirate test is not effective, usually a biopsy is carried out under general anesthesia or mild sedation where it is cut out surgically or the entire mass is removed following surgical procedures.
Depression in humans is well-known and well-documented, but depression in dogs is less known and studies have not been extended up to a deep level till now. As we say dogs are better known as "humans", it is natural for them to feel low and depressed at times. Some of the dog owners must have noticed that all of a sudden their dogs start acting in a way which is very unlike them. Sometimes, they find places to hide constantly or are spotted to be sleeping all day long.
The reasons for such depression are more or less the same in every species and can be interpreted as the following:
- Abusing: Just like humans, dogs get psychologically affected by the way their owner treats them. If you abuse your dog in a way in which it was not raised up, it is sure that your dog will slip into depression and in a few cases, might display some signs of aggression too.
- Critical depression: Critical depression occurs due to some changes in the dog's body. Chemical imbalances may provoke certain behaviors; one of them could be depression. In such situations, it is recommended to take your dog to a Veterinarian in order to seek professional help.
- Grief: If your dog's companion or its known faces drift away, it affects the dog’s behavior massively and may result into depression. This is because with time, the dogs develop strong emotional bonds and it gets hard for them to handle themselves in their absence.
- Aging: Aging is another reason behind your dog's depression. It is very simple to know and understand too that your dog will not be as energetic as it was in its young days. Also, sometimes sensing that their lifespan is about to end may lead them into depression.
How To Deal With It?
By being compassionate, as most of the times your dog may feel depressed because of the treatment you offer to it. They always want to be loved and adored by their owners and this cures everything unnatural happening with them. Try to play with them whenever you come back home, feed them gently, run your fingers through their fur and be extra attentive. All of these will enlighten their mood. Alternatively, you may try out other methods like going out for a walk twice a day, let it socialize with others in the park, let it feel loved more than anything.
For critical depression and grief, it is better to take recommendation from a Veterinarian. Try being patient with your dog about everything. Not all dogs recover rapidly. Hence, before snapping at it again, give it some time and don't pressurize it for anything that comes from its master affects it the deepest. For more comfort, you may bring a new pet which would be its companion for the entire day. Be cautious about the situation and selection. Sometimes they become envious due to such occurrences. Make sure they both get along well.
Osteoarthritis is related with genetic predisposition, inherited problems or defects in bones & joints. This painful condition often requires veterinary pain killers, supplements which protects bones and joints, scientific measures like controlled exercise, swimming & physiotherapy under the veterinary medical supervision. As pollution related features can bring such disorders causing free radical damage, this problem can be managed and a quality living for the pets can be provided with the application of advanced medicines like glucosamine, chondroitin sulphate, MSM, micronutrients ete. Many commercial diets are available which can nourish pets skeletal system effectively and a good plane of nutrition can guard a pet from gaining extra body weight which aggravates osteoarthritis. A perfect dietary and lifestyle management therefore is highly essential for combating such painful disorders. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Veterinarian.