Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. A.K. Malhotra
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. A.K. MalhotraYour feedback matters!
Sir, I don't, know what I am suffering from, I had a chest pain last month so I got contacted with a cardiologist he suggested to undergo some test, my ECG was good, TMT was 86%, but there was something found in Echo I.e I am having bicupsidal valve with mild regurgitation and with LV Ejection Fraction of 60%, I am also having high blood pressure and my LFT reports were OK, but still I am feeling something is happening to me i.e I am feeling sometime fatigue specially during evening time and I am feeling heavy head most of the time in a day. So please suggest what is really happening to me.
I was suffering from abdominal pain (daily, gastric,constipation for nearly 3 years. Later I got cured from constipation. And also my pain are reduced from daily to 2 to3 days a week and I also suffered from indigestion which results in green stool, indigestion stool and smells bad now I got cured from indigestion stool. .am suffering nearly for 5 years still I couldn't come out of that completely first three years pain then all these different problem. Now my prob is continuous gas release wit a bad small. Am taking Ayurveda medicines it will give result for 2 weeks and again my problem are raising. Y do am suffering from these many problem?
Around three percent of the world population is affected by the chronic skin disorder Psoriasis, which is triggered by an overactive immune system. Primarily affecting adults, the most common type of the condition is plaque psoriasis and is seen in people suffering from high blood sugar, heart disorders, and obesity.
The symptoms of the disease may vary from one individual to another, and the most common ones include red skin, scaling of the skin, and flakes coming out of areas such as knees, elbows, and scalp.
Understanding the condition
Psoriasis can be of various types, plaque psoriasis, guttate psoriasis, and inverse psoriasis to mention a few. When the entire surface of the skin is affected by the condition, it is called erythrodermic psoriasis while palmoplantar psoriasis affects the palms and causes sores. Nail psoriasis causes yellow pitted nails which are often misdiagnosed with nail fungus.
In recent times, it has been found that people with psoriasis tend to have high blood sugar, high blood lipids, and different types of cardiovascular diseases. Around forty percent of the Psoriasis patients also experience symptoms of arthritis such as inflammation in the joints. In such cases, the disease is termed as psoriatic arthritis.
- Psoriasis is a chronic, inflammatory skin disease.
- Psoriasis is related to inherited genes in some cases.
- The most common form of psoriasis is plaque psoriasis.
- Diabetes, obesity, and heart disease are common in people with psoriasis.
- Psoriasis is not contagious.
- Psoriasis can be initiated by certain environmental triggers.
- Psoriasis gets better and worse spontaneously and can have periodic remissions (clear skin).
- Psoriasis is controllable with medication.
Know the signs of psoriasis
Patients suffering from psoriasis may experience symptoms such as
- Itchy skin of knees, scalp, or whichever area is infected.
- White scales on the skin.
- In case the nails are affected, they will become discolored and separate easily from nail bed.
- In case of pustular psoriasis, the patient will have tint skin pustulates with cracked and scaly skin.
- Redness of skin.
What are the common types of psoriasis?
- Guttate Psoriasis - Commonly affects children and young adults, but the total rate is less than 2%. People affected by affected by it displays symptoms such as pink or red spots. It mostly affects the thighs, upper arms and scalp area.
- Inverse Psoriasis - This type of psoriasis showcases red but smooth and shiny scaleless skin. It mostly affects areas such as groin, armpits, skin folds and area under the breast.
- Plaque Psoriasis - The most common type of psoriasis is the plague type and displays symptoms such as red skin with silvery and white scales. Lower back, elbows, knees, and scalp are some of the areas affected by it.
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis - This is the least common type of psoriasis, however, is the most serious type. Severe itching of the skin along with peeling and burning sensation are some of the signs of this type of psoriasis
- Pustular Psoriasis - Again, a not so common type of psoriasis and mostly affects adults and is not infectious in nature. It can lead to a fast heartbeat, fever, chills, nausea along with muscle weakness.
What can cause Psoriasis?
The exact cause of psoriasis cannot be pinpointed. Various elements ranging from genetic predisposition to environmental factors can be involved in causing the disease. It is found that psoriasis affects individuals of the same family even though it is not contagious.
Psoriasis may also be caused when immune system regulation becomes defective, where the white blood cells known as T cells start targeting the healthy cells instead of attacking unwanted foreign substances. Even though so many factors have come to the fore, the precise cause of psoriasis is still not known.
Some effective treatment options are:
- Topical treatments that include salicylic acid ointment, steroid-based creams, and use of ointments containing Vitamin D and Vitamin A.
- Light therapy – Doctors may prescribe PUVA or PUVB which can help in treating Psoriasis. Also, the narrow-band UVB therapy is considered to be more effective.
- Oral and injectable drugs – Several medications that include Methotrexate, oral retinoids, and biologics that control immune response of the body are used to treat Psoriasis when other treatments fail to improve the condition.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Although self-help measures won't cure psoriasis, they may help improve the appearance and feel of damaged skin. These measures may benefit you:
- Take daily baths.
- Use moisturizer.
- Expose your skin to small amounts of sunlight.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
Several treatments are available to manage the condition however, the disease is chronic, and the symptoms can be best managed with the assistance of a dermatologist. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My uncle is 48 old. The wbc is decreasing and went less than 100k and didn't have any dengue symptoms. What might be the problem?
Exercise is one of the best things one can do for themselves to stay fit and healthy. Regular exercise will always be a great idea for the normal functioning of the body.
Exercises play a vital role in controlling or minimizing heart issues. They greatly help in maintaining good blood circulation. They are also helpful in maintaining blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, and increasing energy levels.
Exercises do help to prevent heart disease, but it is important to do right exercises in right amount.
How Often and How Long Should One Exercise?
If the person is not active, 20 to 30 minutes of Aerobic session for at least four times a week is good enough. However, the more the person can do, the better the result will be.
If a person is already physically active, more exercise time is recommended, to really tone the body.
The amount of exercise also depends upon stamina of the particular person.
What type of Exercise is Beneficial for Heart Disease?
For heart disease, one can always go for exercises that make fasten the heartbeat.
Exercises like Cardio, Weight Lifting and Aerobics are one of the best exercises for heart diseases. For those, who are looking for exercises for joint problems as well, swimming and walking are good options.
Some of the Best Exercises for Heart Diseases:
1. Cardio Exercises
The Cardio exercises fasten the heartbeat and also lower down the blood pressure level. Depending upon the prescription of the cardiologist, one can perform Cardio exercises like Walk, Jog, Jump rope, Bicycle, Skipping, Skate, Row, Dance, etc.
Aerobic exercise like biking, swimming, playing soccer and hiking uphill, can help in increasing heart rate, decreasing blood pressure and improving blood circulation. These may also be effective in lowering blood sugar.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, every adult should get at least two hours and 30 minutes of moderate-intensity Aerobic exercises per week.
3. Strength training
Resistance training or Strength training is another way to lower the risk of heart diseases. Performing strength training twice a week will help in decreasing the bad cholesterol and raising good cholesterol.
Ideally, strength training is combined with Aerobics in sets with 8-12 repetitions.
Some of the strength training exercises are lifting free weights, exercise with resistance bands, pushups, sit-ups, squats, lunges, crunches, etc.
Why Yoga? A promising way to prevent Heart Disease
- According to Cunningham, who has taught Yoga for 40 years, it can be used as a preventive measure for heart diseases.
- Yoga can help improve respiratory function, increase heart rate, boost circulation, lower blood pressure, increase lung capacity, and muscle tone.
- Yoga can also be beneficial for those who have faced Heart attack or Cardiac arrest. Most patients go through depression after Bypass surgery; Yoga also helps to get rid of depression and anxiety. It also helps in reducing emotional stress.
- Some of the effective Yoga Postures are Boat Pose (Paripurna Navasana), Extended Triangle Pose (utthita trikona), Feathered Peacock Pose (pinca mayura), Handstand (adho mukha vrksasana), Hero Pose (veer-AHS-anna), Low Lunge, Supported Headstand (salamba alamba sirsa), and many more.
- Yoga and other exercises help in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. However, one should always consult a trainer or doctor before doing these exercises. Also, these exercises should always be accompanied by a healthy diet, to really make these exercises effective. Eating a burger after a Yoga session is never going to be a good idea.