Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. A. K. Anand
Submit a review for Dr. A. K. AnandYour feedback matters!
Hi Dr. Am having fabric in my right breast. And its paining from last 2 days. Is this normal, please suggest.
Penile cancer occurs when cancerous cells form on tissues of the penis. If caught early, penile cancer is treatable. In early stages, a cancerous tumour can be removed with little or no damage to the penis. But if it is diagnosed late, a man may lose part of or all of his penis and sometimes his life too. Hence, it’s vital that you know more about this cancer.
But first, a small primer on the penis.
The penis has two types of erectile tissues, the spongy tissue that gets engorged with blood leading to an erection:
- Corpora cavernosa: This tissue forms most of the penis.
- Corpus spongiosum: This tissue forms a small portion of the penis. It also surrounds the urethra, a tube that transports urine and sperm to outside.
The erectile tissue comes wrapped in connective tissue and skin to form the organ.
Penile cancer is usually found on the ‘glans’ or tip of the penis, but can also occur on the shaft of the penis. Some of the common symptoms of penile cancer include sores and lumps on the penis, redness or irritation on the penis and blood discharge.
Factors that increase the risk of developing penile cancer
- Infection with human papillomavirus (HPV): This virus causes cervical cancer in women. Unprotected skin-to-skin contact as well as unprotected sex with multiple partners, increases the risk of a man getting HPV infection.
- Not being circumcised at birth: Circumcision, an operation in which a part or the entire foreskin is removed surgically is a big protection from penile cancer.
- Phimosis: This is a condition in which the foreskin cannot be pulled back over the glans or tip of the penis.
- Poor hygiene
- UV treatment for psoriasis
- Use of tobacco: The chemicals in tobacco smoke lead to genetic changes in cells of the penis, thereby leading to cancer.
Diagnosis and Treatment
Detection and diagnosis are done using tests like a biopsy in which a small sample of tissue is removed from the penis and tested for abnormalities due to cancer.
Chances of Survival
Treatment of penile cancer depends on what stage it is detected at and so is prognosis. The location and size of tumour, and whether cancer has just been diagnosed or has recurred also affect prognosis.
For stage I and II penile cancer or cancer that is limited only to the penis, the five-year survival rate is 85%.
The survival rate dips substantially if cancer is diagnosed after it has spread to surrounding tissues or lymph nodes in stage III or IV. The five-year survival rate is just about 59%.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am 23 yrs old male and ihave lump under my niples for last 2 yrs, its painfull and looking very awkward, what should I do? help please.
What is the difference between malignant tumor and benign tumor and a cyst forming in the jaw is harmful to what extent and can be identified as benign or malignant and what is the diagnosis in each case?
Hi I had total thyroidectomy due to Thyroid cancer Parathyroids were preserved, RAI is done it's been only 2 months. Currently taking Eltroxin 200 mcg, and calcium supplement along with vitamin3 of 2000 mg. I am looking for a good antioxidant supplement which has vitamin C as well. Please suggest a good antioxidant supplement (capsule form) which can be used on daily basis for rest of life. Please suggest.
I want to kwn tht. Nipples has itching from 2, 3 days and today on left nipples it was having little bit pain whn I pressed the nipple slightly. I can not understand why it's happening like this.
The development of abnormal cells that can spread to other areas of the body is known as cancer. It has about 100 types and includes cancer of the skin, lung, prostate gland and so on. Compared to normal body cells that follow a proper path of cell division, growth, and termination, cancer cells don't die but continue to develop and divide.
Holistic treatment of cancer involves purification and strengthening of body's immune system.
Ayurvedic treatment of cancer comprises an all-around approach keeping in mind your temperament and body characteristics, the affected energies in the body as well as the tissues involved. More importantly, the treatment focuses not only on the malignant spot but your entire body system. This is because Ayurveda believes in restoring harmony to your entire being for the ailment to be treated effectively so as to prevent its recurrence.
The treatment plan involves the purification of the body and of the toxins that influence the cells to attack your body. Certain blood cleansing herbs are administered alongside the recommendation of a detoxifying diet. To stimulate blood flow in your body, herbs that improve blood circulation are prescribed by a practitioner. This renders an efficient removal of toxins, prevents stagnant blood from forming and assists in the healing process of your tissues. Since it's a debilitating disease, herbs and minerals that boost your immunity are also suggested.
What are the holistic methods of treating cancer according to Ayurveda?
The treatment methods for cancer include:
- Elimination of toxins from the body through Panchakarma (a therapy that involves five cleansing procedures)
- Abstinence from lifestyle and foods that lead to the imbalance of the tridosha namely, vata (air), pitta (heat) and kapha (water and earth forces)
- Restitution of the functions of your digestive system
- Rejuvenation through a special form of treatment called rasayanas
- Recommendations on Ayurvedic preparations that can be taken along with radiotherapy or chemotherapy
- Suggestions on Ayurvedic medications for minimizing the side effects of the various cancer therapies
In addition to these, treatment also involves suggesting ways to relax the mind. Yoga, meditation, and praanayam (an ancient practice involving ways to control your breath) are some of the ways that are recommended for bringing about deep personal healing for cancer patients. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.