Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Management of Surrogacy
Submit a review for Life line hospital Laxmi NagarYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Dr. Mohd. Sajid Khan provides answers that are caring and professional. Share feedback in your own words...
Back pain is a common source of pain and can be acute, sub-acute or chronic in nature. Back pain is classified along the segments of the spine and can be divided into neck pain, middle back pain, lower back pain and coccydynia or tail bone pain. Back pain can be quite troublesome as it disables a person to move about freely due to constant ache.
Here are some procedures for the treatment of back pain.
- Give your back some rest: Most people who get back pain become obsessed with it and end up getting MRI scans and x-rays done. Some even take injections and other such measures without recognizing the intensity of the pain. It is advised not to rush into the matter immediately and the simplest way to cure the pain is by resting. 90% of pains in the back resolve by themselves in 6 weeks and so you must give your back a break instead of taking medical actions and let time do the healing.
- Pills: While you let time treat your back pain, sometimes the pain increases and gives you a bad time. In this case, you can take anti-inflammatory medicinal pills such as ibuprofen or naproxen. These pills will help you ease the pain. However, using such pills for a continued period of time causes side effects such as gastrointestinal disorders. Hence, you should not take them for more than ten days at a stretch.
- Hot and cold compress: Apply a bag of frozen peas or an ice pack to the affected area for 48 hours after the pain appears. Every session should be about 20 minutes, and you should take more than two sessions each day. After two days, repeat the same procedure using a heat pad instead of ice. The cooling procedure shuts down your blood capillaries and reduces the flow of blood to that area. The swelling is eased as a result. The heating, on the other hand, loosens tight muscles and increases the blood circulation, providing extra oxygen.
- Change your mattress: People who sleep on firm mattresses and cushions on their beds are at a higher risk of having a back pain. According to studies, it has been observed that people sleeping on medium-firm mattresses have healthier backs. In case your mattress in sagging or is over 8 years old, you should replace it.
- Acupuncture: When your back pain is very severe, you can resort to acupuncture, which provides efficient pain relief. The procedure changes the way your nerves react and reduces inflammation.
Back pain arises from various reasons and should always be taken care of. Unattended back pain worsens and makes the affected person suffer. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Jaundice is a disease which causes the skin and the sclerae of the eye to turn yellow. It is caused by hyperbilirubinemia or excess secretion of bilirubin into the blood. The body fluids may also turn yellow. The shade of the skin depends on the bilirubin level. A mild increase in the bilirubin turns the skin pale yellow, and high level makes the skin turn brown.
There are three primary types of jaundice:
- Hepatocellular jaundice: This type of jaundice occurs due to liver disorders.
- Hemolytic jaundice: This type of jaundice occurs due to the breakdown of erythrocytes or red blood cells, and then excess bilirubin is produced.
- Obstructive jaundice: This type of jaundice develops due to an obstruction in your bile duct, restricting the bilirubin to exit the liver.
The common causes of jaundice are as follows:
- Inflammation of the liver disables the secretion and production of bilirubin and results in a buildup of bilirubin.
- Inflammation of the bile duct disables the secretion of bile juice, which results in bilirubin removal and leads to jaundice.
- In case the bile duct gets obstructed, the liver cannot dispose the bilirubin and leads to hyperbilirubinemia.
- Hemolytic anaemia may result in jaundice. When a large number of red blood cells break down, bilirubin production gets enhanced.
- An inherited condition known as Gilbert’s syndrome may also lead to jaundice. The enzyme’s ability to process bile excretion is also impaired.
- Another medical condition called Cholestasis disrupts the flow of bile from the liver. The conjugated bilirubin containing bile remains in the liver and leads to jaundice.
- Jaundice is also caused from alcoholic liver disease, caused due to excess alcohol consumption.
Treatment of jaundice
Jaundice itself cannot be cured and hence, the underlying cause of the jaundice is treated. Different types of jaundice are cured using different methods:
- Jaundice induced by anaemia can be cured by increasing the iron amount in your blood. This is done by intake of iron supplements or having iron rich food.
- Jaundice caused from hepatitis is treated by injections of anti-viral and steroid medicines.
- Obstruction induced jaundice has to be treated by surgical means. The obstruction is removed by surgery.
- Jaundice inflicted from medication is usually treated by choosing alternative medicines and abstaining from the medicines which caused the jaundice.
- Jaundice can be kept away if you take proper care of your liver. For this, you should eat a balanced diet, work out regularly and prohibit yourself from consuming excess of alcohol.
Jaundice is the most common type of liver disorder and occurs in people of all ages and also in newborn babies. Keep away from contaminated food and water, if you want to avoid jaundice.anemia
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult the doctor and ask a free question.
My total bilirubin is 1.46 direct 0.36 indirect 1.10 SGOT 22.90 and SGPT 28.30. I am taking Avas 10 losartan AM (20/5) diagnosed with chronic gastritis and often take rekool 20. Are the LFT results worrisome. Whom should I consult.
Hi! I am persistently facing constipation problem after delivery (section in july) yesterday n today I saw bright red blood in my stool with no severe/ moderate pain while passing it! is this a sign of hemrroids, fissure or what. What should I do. please suggest.
Since 1960, the outbreaks of the chikungunya disease in south eastern asia were reported from india, sri lanka, myanmar, thailand, indonesia, philippines and malaysia. Chikungunya outbreaks typically result in large number of cases but deaths are rarely encountered. Transmission and trends: chikungunya fever epidemics display cyclical and seasonal trends. There is an inter-epidemic period of 4-8 years (sometimes as long as 20 years). Outbreaks are most likely to occur in post-monsoon period when the vector density is very high and accentuates the transmission. Human beings serve as the chikungunya virus reservoir during epidemic period. Types of laboratory tests available for detection of chikungunya virus: virus isolation (exposing cell lines samples from blood). Serological diagnosis (elisa igm specific). Rt-pcr. Differential diagnosis: dengue fever malaria leptospirosis enteric fever rheumatic fever reactive arthritis serum sickness illness rickettsial disease clinical features: acute phase: less than 3 weeks sub-acute phase: &gt; 3 weeks to 3 months chronic phase: &gt; 3 months symptoms: fever arthralgia/arthritis backache headache skin rash/itching symptoms which are seen in children (rarely in adults) photophobia retro-orbital pain vomiting diarrhea meningeal syndrome acute encephalopathy long course symptoms: arthralgia myalgia arthritis persistent joint stiffness restricted joint movement painful joint movement enthesopathy tendinnitis skin pigmentation skin rash impact of chikungunya on pregnancy: a pregnant woman can get affected with the chikungunya virus at any stage of pregnancy. The time of huge risk of chikungunya virus transmission from a mother to a fetus appears to be during birth. Chikungunya is more deadly in children as compared to adults because children cannot express exact symptoms and it may take time to diagnose the disease. Chikungunya in elderly: the elderly are affected in more serious manner than the younger population. The body resistance is low in case of elderly and this causes the debilitating effects on their bodies. Chikungunya in elderly people could cause cerebral problems like dementia and paralysis and kidney disorders. Chikungunya co-infection with dengue: this is not very unusual as both dengue and chikungunya are arboviral diseases, transmitted by the same aedes mosquitoes. The other observed symptoms in the patients who are suffering from infections of chikungunya and dengue are other non-specific constitutional symptoms such as anorexia, vomiting, headache, and muscle or joint pains and subjected the samples to chikungunya serology as well. Guidelines for management of the chikungunya disease: management during acute and sub-acute phase of the illness management during chronic phase or sequelae. There is no antiviral drugs against chikungunya most of the signs and symptoms are self-limiting. Treatment for chikungunya is purely symptomatic-supportive care and rest and nutrition analgesics, antipyretics and fluid supplementation are important aspects in managing this infection. Supportive or palliative medical care with anti-inflammatories supportive care with rest is indicated during the acute joint symptoms. Movement and mild exercise tend to improve stiffness and morning arthralgia, but heavy exercise may exacerbate rheumatic symptoms. There is no vaccine currently available. Disabling peripheral arthritis/ artropathy refractory to nsaid: short term corticosteroid may be used. Long term anti-inflammatory therapy physiotherapy chloroquine phosphate management of chikungunya with high risk group: proper management of co-morbid condition and co-infection. Through the recent epidemics, chikungunya has demonstrated its ability to spread and infect large proportions of the population. There is a very good chance that chikungunya will continue to spread unless measures are taken to improve the recognition of the disease, to control the vectors responsible for the transmission.
Monsoon is happily welcomed by one and all after a hot summer. But the immunity of the body is reduced in this season as it makes our body defenseless to a lot of diseases that are generally associated with the monsoon season. The temperature at a place goes down when it rains, but it brings along uninvited mosquitoes. Hence, our body immunity must be boosted so that it becomes resistant to any disease. The most prevalent diseases that occur due to a mosquito bite are dengue, malaria, brain fever and filaria.
Methods to treat mosquito bites in monsoon: Water stagnation is caused due to rain and the stagnated water acts as an excellent breeding ground for mosquitoes. Even any pond with still water can produce mosquitoes easily in just 4 days. Mosquito coils and repellents are not that very effective, and they cannot captivate these invaders totally. It is best to make use of home remedies that are helpful as well as harmless than using mosquito repellants that contain chemicals in them.
Effective and simple remedies to treat mosquito bites:
The after effects of a mosquito bites are not only annoying, but also very harmful and it is better that mosquito bites are treated by use of home remedies:
- The most effective anti-itch remedy that can be used to treat a mosquito bite is the use of Ammonia. The acidity or the pH of the skin is changed and ammonia is known to oppose chemical reactions that cause the itching. Dry cotton can be moistened by use of Ammonia and applied to the affected area.
- The other effective method that can be used to treat a mosquito bite is rubbing alcohol on the affected area. Alcohol cures the itch and is even known to minimize the swelling. Alcohol can be poured directly on the affected area or can be applied with cotton.
- Hydrogen Peroxide is an excellent antiseptic that is used to prevent any infection caused due to mosquito bites. It is very important that Hydrogen Peroxide is applied in the right way to reduce the swelling and redness. It is an effective remedy that can be used for kids as well.
- Soap can also be applied on the affected area to provide relief and in case of any irritation, it is better to wash off the area with water immediately.
- To minimize the discomfort caused due to a mosquito bite, toothpaste can be applied to that area. Toothpaste that contains menthol, peppermint as well as baking soda is good for treating a mosquito bite.
There are many other such products that are readily available at home and that can be used to treat mosquito bites like garlic, table salt, ketchup, garlic and cocktail sauce.
Platelet deficiency is not the cause of death in people suffering from dengue
According to international guidelines, unless a patient's platelet count is below 10, 000, and there is spontaneous, active bleeding, no platelet transfusion is required. The outbreak of dengue in the city and hospital beds are full and families are seen running around in search of platelets for transfusion. However what most people do not realize is that the first line of treatment for dengue is not platelet transfusion. It, in fact, does more harm than good if used in a patient whose counts are over 10, 000.
The primary cause of death in patients suffering from dengue is capillary leakage, which causes blood deficiency in the intravascular compartment, leading to multi-organ failure. At the first instance of plasma leakage from the intravascular compartment to the extravascular compartment, fluid replacement amounting to 20 ml per kg body weight per hour must be administered. This must be continued till the difference between the upper and lower blood pressure is over 40 mmhg, or the patient passes adequate urine. This is all that is required to treat the patient. Giving unnecessary platelet transfusion can make the patient more unwell.
while treating dengue patients, physicians should remember the formula of 20' i. E. Rise in pulse by more than 20; fall of bp by more than 20; difference between lower and upper bp of less than 20 and presence of more than 20 hemorrhagic spots on the arm after a tourniquet test suggest a high-risk situation and the person needs immediate medical attention.
Dengue fever is a painful mosquito-borne disease. It is caused by any one of four types of dengue virus, which is transmitted by the bite of an infected female aedes aegypti mosquito. Common symptoms of dengue include high fever, runny nose, a mild skin rash, cough, and pain behind the eyes and in the joints. However, some people may develop a red and white patchy skin rash followed by loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, etc. Patients suffering from dengue should seek medical advice, rest and drink plenty of fluids.
Paracetamol can be taken to bring down fever and reduce joint pains. However, aspirin or ibuprofen should not be taken since they can increase the risk of bleeding.
The risk of complications is in less than 1% of dengue cases and, if warning signals are known to the public, all deaths from dengue can be avoided.
Dengue ns1-best test is ns1
Cannot be false ve
Is from day 1 to 7 ideally.
If on day 1 is -ve, repeat it next day.
Always ask for elisa based ns1 tests as card tests are misleading.
Value of igg
There are numerous ways to be healthy and happy. Eating right, exercising and leading a positive life are all methods that are easier said than done. While in theory we all know about these methods, in practice it all goes flying out of the window at the first sign of stress and fast paced urban living.
So, how can you make a conscious effort to be healthy and happy? Try our five sure shot ways, as follows:
- Water: Did you know that hydrating is the key to a long life because not only are you pumping essential fluids into your body, but you are also adding plenty of lubrication to your bones and joints. Cut out the sweetened drinks, carbonated beverages and caffeine to make way for water. For every 200 pounds, a person must drink at least 100 ounces of water in a single day.
- Rainbow Menu: Ensure that you take in all colours of food like red bell peppers, orange carrots, green spinach, yellow squash, and even more. Eating a dietary rainbow everyday can help in ensuring that you get all the essential nutrients that are packed in all these kinds of foods. All the minerals and nutrients can be extracted from these different types of food in order to ensure that your body remains healthy with a well-balanced diet.
- Rest: Get plenty of rest along with your dietary intake. A well-rested mind is a relatively stress free and happy mind. It is a scientifically proven fact that a balanced routine of rest, movement and food can help in keeping your mind in a balance of sorts. The rest factor is one that can be achieved with good nutrition and vice versa, as well. When you are taking good nutrition, your mind will be at rest and the quality of your rest will also help you in working up a normal appetite at the right time, throughout the day.
- Exercise: It is a well-known fact that movement of at least 20 minutes per day can help in avoiding an overly sedentary lifestyle which blocks the metabolism and leads to varied aches and pains due to inaction and lack of lubrication of the bones and joints. Exercise also helps in working up a healthy appetite.
- Small Meals: Eat five or six small meals in a day in order to ensure that the metabolism that works on time, and in an effective manner so that your food gets digested properly.
With these tips, you can ensure that you fall into a normal routine of eating, resting and exercising, which will in turn help you maintain a healthy and happy life.
Nowadays I see a huge rush in hospital opd as well ipd patients getting admitted with a complaint of fever, body ache, cold, and malaise. Some of them have already started antibiotics on their own or by some pharmacist. Antibiotics have no role in the treatment of viral illness.
Avoid antibiotics in viral illness.
Keep good hydration, drink at least 5-6 lit of water, take regular bath
Take only paracetamol for fever and body ache
Visit for any rashes or bleeding, if present visit doctor urgently
Manning criteria 1. Pain relieved by defecation
2. More frequent stools at onset of pain
3. Looser stools at onset of pain
4. Visible abdominal distension
5. Passage of mucus per rectum
6. Sense of incomplete evacuationManning criteria
Summary of recommendations for pharmacological treatment of irritable bowel syndrome Intervention Quality of Benefit/ Strength of evidence harm recommendation Comments Antispasmodics Mebeverine Low Net benefit Qualified Alverine citrate Very low Uncertain trade-offs Definitive Dicyclomine Very low Uncertain trade-offs Definitive Fibre supplements Ispaghula High Net benefit Definitive Bran High No net benefit Definitive Half are made worse Opioids Loperamide High Net benefit Definitive Helps diarrhoea but less effect on pain/discomfort Tricyclic antidepressants Desimipramine Moderate Trade-offs Qualified Ineffective on intention to treat analysis Poorly tolerated at full dose Amitriptyline Low Trade-offs Qualified Poorly tolerated at full dose Nortriptyline SSRIs Better tolerated than TCAs Paroxetine High Net benefit Qualified Global benefit without benefit to specific bowel symptoms Fluoxetine High Net benefit Qualified Global benefit 5-HT4 agonists Prokinetic; benefit IBS-C Tegaserod High Net benefit Definitive NNT = 14 5-HT3 antagonists Antidiarrhoeal; benefit IBS-D Alosetron High T