Doctor in Max Smart Super Specialty Hospital, Saket
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Facial Cosmetic Surgery
Submit a review for Max Smart Super Specialty Hospital, SaketYour feedback matters!
It's a great hospital! Doctors were really good. My heartfelt thanks to Dr. Sumit Mrig. Great staff, very attentive. Overall experience was really nice!!
Sankalp Ent & Cochlear Implant Centre
Just like there are exercises to lose weight, there are simple exercises, which you can do to stop your snoring completely. Snoring is a common condition and it generally takes place more in men than women. It mostly affects individuals who are overweight and the condition gets worsened with age. Though it is not a serious condition, it has to be dealt with as it affects the sleep of your sleeping partner. The main cause of snoring is an improper flow of air through the mouth or nose.
The airflow to the nose is obstructed by factors like:
How to Prevent Snoring:
It is very essential that prior attention is given to this condition before it turns out to be a serious problem. The self help tips that can be used by individuals to stop snoring include proper exercising, losing weight, quitting smoking and not drinking alcohol as well as setting up an ideal sleeping pattern. There are devices available in the pharmaceutical stores like the mouth guard device which are specially designed to help stop snoring. There are medications also available that help to stop snoring and have a good quality sleep.
Amazing and Simple Exercises to Stop Snoring:
You can cure your snoring problem easily by practicing vocal exercises without the need of even going through a painful and expensive surgery.
- Singing: Singing is an excellent exercise that is very good for your vocal passage and that can cure the snoring problem. It is best that you start singing in a warm shower and the moist steam of the warm water would soothe your throat. The benefit of singing is that it tightens the muscles and it is an excellent and natural way that would cure your sleeping problem. You can practice singing at least 20 minutes in a day, and you would surely experience the difference.
- Yawning: The second simple exercise that can be done to stop snoring is yawning, which involves opening and closing of your mouth. The exercise done in a yawning motion would strengthen both the inner and outer neck muscles. It is very necessary that the mouth is opened widely, and this activity can be done anytime of the day.
- Chewing: The third exercise that is helpful to get relief from sleep disorders is chewing. You can fix your throat by chewing the tip of a pencil. You don't have to bite the pencil, and you just need to fix your throat muscles to make certain that your airway is clear.
Though nosebleeds are usually not a cause for serious concern, it can sometimes be a scary experience and cause a lot of anxiety. The nose is home to a lot of blood vessels and being fragile they bleed easily. Nosebleeds, however, can be a cause of concern if they happen regularly. While a few factors can be taken care of easily, there are a few rare cases that are actually alarming.
- Injury or blow to the nose: Any injury or sudden blow may cause the nose to bleed. The severity of bleeding depends on the intensity and nature of blow/ injury.
- Sinusitis: Bleeding is seen in a moderate number of cases of sinusitis. Not every person with sinusitis experiences nose bleeds though.
- Hypertension/ high blood pressure: People, who have high blood pressure and one or more of other predisposing factors, might experience nosebleed in some cases. High blood pressure basically increases your chances of experiencing nosebleed.
- Liver infection: This condition can be one of the rare causes of nosebleed.
- Conditions hampering blood clot formation: There are certain medical conditions in which the blood clot formation does not take place effectively and thus the bleeding incidents can happen with minor causes as well.
- Blood thinning medication: People having blood thinning medicines are more prone to experiencing an episode of nose bleed for obvious reasons.
- Excessive scratching or sneezing: This might cause the nasal wall to rupture, causing minor bleeding.
- Excessive alcohol consumption: In people who consume alcohol in an excessive amount, nose bleeding might occur as an after effect.
- Blood cancer/ leukemia: In some cases of leukemia, the patient might experience nosebleed along with other complications.
I am suffering from idiopathic sensory neuronal hearing loss of left ear start frm june 2017. Now I am hvng a cavity on d lft lower 3rd molar .shld I go fr extraction? Or it s gonna harmful for my ear ? please answer.
A blocked nose is not only annoying, but is extremely discomforting. Several reasons can be held responsible for it and common cold is certainly not the only one. Some other reasons include:
Therefore, the remedial measures for blocked nose vary, depending on the cause that led to it. Some of the ways by which you can redress this problem are:
- Use a humidifier: Sinusitis is often held responsible for a clogged nose, a condition that is almost always accompanied by severe pain. In such a situation, placing a humidifier in a room proves to be extremely beneficial. This machine treats blocked nose by converting the water to moisture. This fills up the room and significantly increases the humidity of the room. Therefore when you breathe, the humid air soothes the inflamed blood vessels in the nose and helps you to breathe properly.
- Take a hot shower: When you find it difficult to breathe, a quick hot shower can go a long way in curing the discomfort. The logic that operates is the steam generated from the hot shower thins the mucus and also considerably reduces the inflammation in the nose, allowing you to breathe normally.
- Drink lots of water: Though the suggestion may seem incredible, drinking water actually helps in un-blocking that blocked nose. When you drink a lot of water, the mucus in the nostrils is thinned, at the same time it pushes back the accumulated fluids, thereby curbing the condition of blocked nose.
- Using a saline spray: This is one of the most ancient and trusted ways of treating blocked nose. By administering a saline or a nasal spray, the moisture in your nostrils increases and radically diminishes the inflammation.
- Use warm compresses: Using a warm compress has been the most reliable form of medication in times of high temperature and also at times of blocked nose. The compress that was dipped in hot water, when placed on the nose and forehead helps to unblock the nasal passages. The soothing effect of the warm compresses reduces the inflammation and facilitates the process of breathing.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Tonsillitis is a disorder of the tonsils present on the back of your throat. The tonsils acts as a defensive mechanism in the body as they prevent the body from infections. This is a contagious condition and can occur at any age. It is widely prevalent among school going kids.
Tonsillitis may be classified into two types:
- Chronic tonsillitis: This type of tonsillitis tends to last for an extended duration with symptoms of bad breath and tenderness in the lymph nodes.
- Recurrent tonsillitis: This is a form of acute tonsillitis which repeats itself over a year.
Causes: Tonsils prevent various virus and bacteria from entering the body through the mouth by producing antibodies. The tonsils, however, may become vulnerable to these infections. A virus that causes common cold or the bacteria that causes strep throat may result in tonsillitis. The most common cause of this disorder is the strep bacteria. School going children are especially vulnerable to this disorder because they are most prone to various infections.
The various viruses that may cause tonsillitis are:
- Herpes simplex virus
- Epstein-Barr virus
- Influenza virus
- Parainfluenza virus
The various symptoms of tonsillitis are
- Swallowing difficulties
- A sore throat
- The sore throat may result in bad breath
- You may experience fever and chills
- Pain in the head, ear and stomach
- You may experience stiffness in the neck and the jaw
- Swollen tonsils with possible redness
- Changes in voice
- Symptoms of cold
Treatment: The treatment for tonsillitis is usually antibiotics and in some cases, tonsillectomy. The antibiotics help in getting rid of the bacterial infection. Surgery is only done in cases where tonsillitis is chronic in nature. It is important that you drink fluids and restrict smoking to prevent tonsillitis.
Hearing has a deep impact on your life. It determines the kind of life you are going to lead. It has been found by various studies and surveys that hearing aids drastically improve the quality of life you lead. It is the much needed relief to a life, burdened by the stress and strains of living with hearing impairment. The hearing aids are not just instruments. This is a way to live a life of dignity. According to the Evaluation of the Social and Economic Costs of Hearing Impairment report, hearing loss leads to socio and economic stress in ones’ life in major continents like Europe, Australia and the United States.
A research conducted by the National Council on Aging found that over 2,000 people living with hearing impairment or loss experienced positive changes in their respective lives after using hearing aids. They experienced improvements in social, emotional, psychological and physical spheres of life. Furthermore, a US study claims that nine in ten people using hearing aid say that their life has changed for the better after using the aids. It can also be said that hearing aid users lead a better life than non-users of these aids.
How these aids better your life?
Hearing aids gift you a life of expressions and dignity. They can connect you to the rest of the world and empower you to maintain your individualism. You are empowered to make your point in front of others and understand their perspectives too. Here’s what a hearing aid can do for you:
Users of hearing aids have a better life as they have improved cognitive functioning. The family members claim that the users of these aids become more interactive. They are lesser of an introvert than the non-users.
- It improves the social life of user. He or she can participate in group activities and their family and other ties or relationships go smooth. There is no communication gap.
- Hearing aids build up your confidence. You regain your lost dignity and faith on your abilities. Hearing loss kicks you to a life of loneliness, alienation and leaves you with low confidence levels.
- It helps you in having better psychological functioning. It keeps you away from psychological problems like depression, personality disorders and over-all absurd behavioural changes.
- It improves the understanding in closer or personal relationships. The warmth in a relationship is regained or bettered with effective communication. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
Hearing is an essential process in everyone's life. Be it your social life or professional activities, hearing influences every aspect of your life. You can thus, never ignore the health of your ears to enjoy a healthy life. But there are several hindrances to obstruct effective hearing. One of the problems is the accumulation of a natural substance called cerumen produced by the glands present in the ear canal. The accumulated cerumen is medically referred to as Earwax. Over production of cerumen is mainly triggered by the deficiency of Omega-3 fatty acids, zinc and magnesium.
The basic function of the wax is to protect the ear canal from invasion by foreign particles like bacteria and dust particles. This is necessary for the smooth functioning of the ear and its protection from invaders. However, it becomes an irritating problem when the earwax is produced in excess. The problem aggravates when the ear canal is blocked due to accumulation of earwax. In such cases, we use certain objects such as bobby pins, Q-tips or cotton swabs to clean the accumulated earwax from the ear canal. What we do not realise is that pricking the wax using these objects can sometime cause significant damage to the ear. These objects push the wax deep inside the canal, leading to blockage.
The most common symptoms of excessive earwax are as follows:
- Developing a fullness feeling in the ears
- Loss of hearing on temporary basis
- Noises inside the ear
Here are the preventive measures to remove ear wax blockage:
- In order to prevent blockage of ear wax, try keeping it moist by frequently running water into your ear while taking a bath. This will prevent the ear wax from getting dried up so that it doesn’t get blocked in the ear canal. Make sure, you drain the water from the ear after running it for some time.
- Don’t use any pointed objects inside the ears as it can cause ear infection while pushing the wax deeper.
- Avoid inserting cotton swabs or ear buds into the ear canal. You can use them to remove exposed ear wax at the ear opening, but don’t push them deep inside the ear canal. It can push the excess ear wax inside the ear canal, thereby resulting in to an impact.
- Don’t use candle ear wax remover. Ear candles are another method to remove ear wax, but it can be really dangerous as you need to hold the lighted candle very close to your ear. It can even burn your ear.
- Don’t use cold water or a strong jet to drain out the excess ear wax. Strong jet can lead to the damage of the ear drum while cold water may result into dizziness.
- Avoid using any other method to remove ear wax at home, such as suction.
- Don’t use any type of acidic liquid in order to soften the ear wax.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are good for mitigating the problem of ear wax. So, include walnuts, avocados, salmon, albacore and ground flax seed in your diet.
- Consult a doctor if the problem persists even after using home remedies. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
Physical pain can often be overwhelming especially for children. Ear ache can cause terrible discomfort to children and can give sleepless nights to both children and parents. It is important for new mom and dads to know the basic causes and remedies of an ear ache. That way the little kids can get relief faster. We will help you know more about ear pain in children. Infants and toddlers suffer more, as they can’t express their discomfort. It is crucial to watch out for symptoms like high fever, pulling or tugging ear, white or yellowish discharge coming out of the ear, restlessness, loss of sleep and appetite.
- The most common cause for ear pain is Acute Otitis Media (AOM) or middle ear infection. Small children are especially vulnerable to this infection. The infection causes fever and pain in children. Infection occurs when the fluid produced, can’t be drained by the Eustachian tube. It happens mostly after a bout of cold in kids. Because of it, the Eustachian tube gets swollen making it difficult for the fluid to flow out.
- Tonsillitis or an infection of the tonsils can also lead to an ear ache.
- Too much ear wax can also cause pain in the ear.
- In the case of a mild case of infection, certain home remedies can give immediate relief. So before running to the emergency, try a few of these.
- A hot or cold compress can give some relief. Get a heating pad or ice bag/ pack for this treatment. Children and even adults benefit from this remedy. However, it is not advisable to use heating pads on babies.
- If the child is old enough to sleep with a pillow keep his/her head elevated.
- If the pain is too much to bear, over the counter analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be given provided the stipulated dose for children and infants are maintained.
- If the pain is light, simple distraction method works great among children. They can be engaged with either a storybook, a new toy or some game. Letting them munch on their favourite snack can also help.
- Some home remedies recommend putting a few drops of olive oil inside the ear. Though this method does not have any scientific base, it might give relief, however, it is necessary to check with your child’s doctor before applying this.
- The most common way to treat this infection is, however, by giving them antibiotics. If the pain persists, visit your child’s doctor, let them examine his/her ears and then if he feels he will prescribe antibiotics.
Prevention Is Better Than Cure:
Says all seasoned parents. Hence know when to be careful to avoid further ear infections. Some point to ponder.
- Since ear infections typically start with a common cold, get your child a flu vaccine every year. This will prevent him from catching cold often.
- If your child is going to the daycare or school, make sure they do not encourage the sick child to come to school.
- Do not let your infant lie down with a bottle before sleeping. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent specialist.
Swallowing food comes naturally to human beings. But when there is a problem, it is usually called Dysphagia. Esophagus, a muscular tube-like organ located at the back of our throat, usually helps in swallowing food and transferring them to our stomach. When esophagus does not function properly, dysphagia happens. Patients suffering from brain or nerve disorder, seniors and babies might have this problem.
People with dysphagia might witness the following issues:
- Difficulty in swallowing solids and liquids.
- Gaging, choking or coughing usually occurs when trying to swallow.
- Experience pain when trying to swallow and also heartburn.
- Swallowed food might come back up either through mouth or nose.
- A chronic problem might result in weight loss.
There are 2 main reasons, why the Esophagus might become dysfunctional.
- Due to some medical condition the muscles and nerves that help the esophagus work have stopped working.
- The esophagus is blocked by something.
There can be a number of reasons for both the condition. Here are the reasons why the muscles and nerves might not work.
Certain diseases can create problems with your nervous system, which in turn can affect the esophagus. These diseases are polio, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson’s disease.
- A brain stroke, spinal cord injury or brain injury can also affect swallowing.
- Polymyositis or Dermatomyositis are immune system problems that can cause swelling or weakness.
- The muscles of esophagus suddenly squeeze, which is called esophagus spasm.
- Scleroderma causes the esophagus to become thin and weak.
The esophagus might be blocked because of these reasons:
- Esophagus might have malignant or non-malignant tumours.
- Esophagitis is a medical condition when the esophagus is infected, got some allergy or even if a pill got stuck on it.
- People suffering from reflux diseases often experience the acid that backs up into the esophagus. This can cause an ulcer on it resulting in scars. Scars make Esophagus narrower, making it difficult to swallow.
- There are small sacs called Diverticula on the esophagus or the throat, often making it difficult to swallow.
- Lymph nodes, tumours, bone spurs can also obstruct esophagus and create difficulty in swallowing. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ENT specialist.
Balance disorders are a combination of physiological factors that can make you feel unsteady or dizzy. While sitting, standing or lying down, you may feel as if you are floating, moving, or spinning and you may feel dizzy and dazed for the time being. This disorder can intervene in your daily activities of life, and can even lead to falls and accidents, which may cause you to end up with fractures and other types of injuries.
What causes balance disorder?
A combination and coordination of many body systems such as muscles, bones, vision, the balancing organ within the ear, heart and nerves help maintain normal balance. Dysfunction of these systems can lead you to encounter balance problems. Balance disorders can be caused by many types of conditions.
Some of the causes of the disorder are:
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV): This occurs due to dislodged or displaced calcium crystals in the inner ear, which help you maintain balance. It is the most commonly found cause of vertigo. A spinning sensation while turning in bed is a common sign.
- Migraines: Migraines are a general cause of dizziness. Sensitivity to motion can also be caused by migraines. It can also lead to motion sickness, which is dizziness experienced when traveling in boats, cars or airplanes.
- Head injury: A severe concussion can also cause vertigo.
- Ramsay Hunt syndrome: Commonly known as zoster otitis, this condition affects the nerves close to the ears. It can be attributed to hearing loss, vertigo and pain in the ear.
- Vestibular problems and nerve damage: Damaged nerves in the legs can cause difficulty in movement and locomotion. Abnormalities and dysfunctions in the inner ear can lead to a sensation of dizziness and a heavy head.
How do you know if you have balance disorder?
Some of the characteristic symptoms of this condition include:
- Blurred vision
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blood pressure
- Depression and anxiety
- Psychological disorientation
- Fluctuations in blood pressure and heart rate
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychologist.