Routine Eye Checkup
Computed Corneal Topography Procedure
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Orbital & Optic Nerve Decompression Procedure
Treatment of Leg Length Inequality
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Laser Refractive Surgery
Laser Cataract Surgery
Submit a review for Dr Pooja Dhama ClinicYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Pooja Dhama to be helped me improve my health. Share feedback in your own words...
Mr Shaikh M.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Pooja Dhama to be caring, practical and professional. a
A cataract usually forms in the eyes due to clouding of the naturally clear lens that coats the eyes.This coating is usually a matter of age advancement or any other injury that the eyes may have sustained. It may also be a birth defect that a baby may be born with. There are various ways to deal with this debilitating condition.
One of the methods of treatment includes cataract surgery. Read on to find out more about this form of treatment:
- Procedure: During this surgery, the ophthalmologist will remove the cloudy lens and clean it before replacing it with a man-made lens.The technique followed for this procedure is known as phacoemulsification which involves a small cut or incision for the cataract surgery. The incision helps the doctor in liquefying and then vacuuming the centre portion of the lens, which is slightly harder than the rest of the lens.
- Device: The doctor will usually administer anaesthesia first and then make the tiny incision on one side of the cornea. Thereafter, an instrument or device will be inserted through this opening to send out ultrasonic vibrations to the eye. These vibrations will help in breaking the lens into tiny pieces. These fragments will be removed with the help of a suction that will go in through the tiny cut. This cut may also be made with the help of a laser beam.
- New Lens: Once the fragments of the old lens have been cleared, the doctor will go about the process of inserting the new man made lens which is usually made up of clear plastic, acrylic or even silicon, and is known as IOL or intraocular lens. This process is generally termed as intraocular lens implantation.
- Improved Vision: With the help of the new lens, the patient will now enjoy better vision and a visible decline in the symptoms of the cataract including problems in night driving.
- Convenient: This procedure usually takes about an hour and is an outpatient procedure. It is a completely safe procedure where numbing drops are placed on the eye so as to reduce any pain significantly. The doctor will usually give you a novocaine injection around the eye. Also, cataracts from both eyes will not be removed on the same day, and the doctor will schedule you for cataract removal from the second eye for another day.
- Aftermath: After the surgery is over, it is normal to feel some amount of irritation in the eye. If this irritation is persistent, you must see a doctor about it.
Painkillers like acetaminophen and ibuprofen can be used to recover from the pain after the surgery. Ask an ophthalmologist about other measures.
Eye surgeries have evolved a long way. Starting from the most basic of eye surgeries, technological advancement has evolved a number of modern eye surgery techniques. LASIK is the latest trend in eye surgery and is the most common type of eye surgery in the modern day.
LASIK or Lasik (laser assisted situ keratomileusis), is a laser eye surgery or laser vision revision. It is a kind of refractive surgery for the rectification of nearsightedness, hyperopia, and astigmatism. The LASIK surgery is performed by an ophthalmologist who utilizes a laser or microkeratome to reshape the eye's cornea with a specific end goal to enhance visual acuity. For most patients, LASIK gives a lasting contrasting option to eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Carrying out a LASIK surgery:
- To begin with, your eye specialist utilizes either a mechanical surgical apparatus called a microkeratome or a femtosecond laser to make a slender, round "fold" in the cornea.
- The specialist then creases back the pivoted fold to get to the fundamental cornea (called the stroma) and expels some corneal tissue utilizing an excimer laser.
- For partially blind individuals, the objective is to smooth the cornea; with farsighted individuals, a more extreme cornea is fancied.
- Excimer lasers additionally can redress astigmatism by smoothing an unpredictable cornea into a more typical shape. It is a misguided judgment that LASIK can't treat astigmatism.
- Laser eye surgery requires just topical soporific drops, and no wraps or fastens are required.
- After your LASIK surgery is completed, you will be given some rest. You may feel a makeshift smoldering or tingling sensation promptly after the surgery is completed. After some post-surgical examinations, you are ready to go home. Abstain from driving by yourself.
- Immediately after the surgery, you may experience blurred vision or hazy vision. It will subside with a little time.
- You must keep away from any kind of activity that causes strain to the eyes after the surgery. Avoid watching television or reading.
Results of LASIK surgery:
- Laser eye surgery offers various advantages and can significantly enhance your personal satisfaction. A great many people accomplish 20/20 vision or better after the surgery. However, LASIK results do fluctuate from people to people.
- You will have to continue wearing your contact lenses or spectacles. The power will be much less after the surgery.
Side-effects: While this surgery strategy provides effective results, LASIK complications can happen and may incorporate diseases such as night glare, and you may experience starbursts or radiances, especially while driving.
LASIK surgery is one of the most carried eye surgeries nowadays and gives satisfactory results. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a ophthalmologist and ask a free question.
LASIK is a corrective eye surgery that aims at repairing the vision impairment. It is known as laser in situ keratomileusis. This surgery is typically used to fix nearsightedness, farsightedness and even astigmatism.
So can this surgery help in removing your spectacles and giving you crystal clear vision? Let us find out!
- Definition: The LASIK procedure basically works towards reshaping the cornea, which is the clear portion that coats the eye. This is responsible for proper travel of light to the retina where it must focus in an appropriate manner so as to reach the back of eye.
- Corrective Technique: With its cornea reshaping technique, this procedure is effective in correcting vision and removing spectacles for at least 96% of the patients who go through this treatment.
- Convenient: The LASIK surgery is a highly convenient one that hardly creates any pain. Numbing drops are used to minimise the pain that may be felt during the procedure. Also, the time taken for the correction is very little with most procedures commencing within a day or two. Further, this procedure does not require any bandages or stitches and usually works with a powerful laser beam.
- Eyeglass Dependence Reduction: Most patients have a dramatic improvement in the quality of their vision and do not require glasses, while other patients usually have a reduced dependence on eyeglasses once the surgery is done.
- Preparing for the Surgery: To prepare for the surgery, it is imperative to meet and coordinate the details with the ophthalmologist who will examine your eye carefully and seek to determine the risk of any kind of side effect. Also, the doctor will ask specific questions regarding the medical history of the patient before conducting the surgery. As a part of the preparation, the doctor will also take measurements of the corneal thickness and other such factors like refraction, corneal mapping, pupil dilation and air pressure, so as to carry out the surgery in the most effective manner. Do not wear your contact lenses for at least three weeks before this evaluation so as to get the correct reading which will make the surgery much more effective due to the correct settings applied to the pulses.
- Procedure: During the procedure, an instrument known as a microkeratome laser will be used to lift the flap of the cornea which will be peeled back while the corneal tissue is reshaped. Then the cornea flap will be put back in its position.
Remember to be prepared for some amount of dryness in the eyes once the surgery is over. Talk to your doctor about other side effects.
Intraocular lenses (IOLs) are medicinal gadgets that are embedded inside the eye to supplant the eye's regular lens when it is evacuated during cataract surgery. IOLs additionally are utilized for a sort of vision remedy surgery called refractive lens exchange. There is quite a large range of IOLs to choose from, in the modern-day market. The most newly developed IOLs are premium by category. (Learn more about Wearing and Caring for Your Contact Lenses)
Here is a list of all the new FDA approved IOLs which are extremely effective:
- Aspheric IOLs: Conventional intraocular lenses have a spherical optical configuration, which means the front surface is consistently bended from the focal point of the lens to its fringe. Despite the fact that a spherical IOL is generally simple to make, this configuration does not copy the state of the regular lens inside the eye, which differs in curvature from focus to fringe. At the end of the day, the eye's common lens is aspheric. Mainstream aspheric IOLs that are FDA-endorsed and accessible in the U.S. include: Tecnis Aspheric, AcrySof IQ, SofPort AO, and Softec HD.
- Toric IOLs: Toric IOLs are premium intraocular lenses that correct astigmatism and also partial blindness or farsightedness. Similar to toric delicate contact lenses, toric IOLs can redress astigmatism since they have diverse forces in various meridians of the lens. They additionally have arrangement markings on the fringe part of the lens that empower the specialist to modify the introduction of the IOL inside the eye for ideal astigmatism redress. Before the cataract surgery, the specialist places transitory markings on the patient's cornea that distinguish the area of the most bended meridian of the front of the eye.
- Accommodating IOLs: Accommodating IOLs are premium intraocular lenses that grow the scope of clear vision with both an aspheric configuration and adaptable "haptics", the supporting legs that hold the IOL set up inside the eye. These adaptable legs permit the obliging IOL to push ahead somewhat when you take a gander at close protests, which builds the centering force of the eye enough to give preferred close vision over an ordinary monofocal lens.
- Multifocal IOLs; Multifocal IOL is another classification of presbyopia-revising IOL that can diminish your requirement for pursuing glasses or PC glasses after waterfall surgery.
Like multifocal contact lenses, these premium IOLs contain included amplification in various parts of the lens to grow your scope of vision so you can see things unmistakably at all separations without glasses or contact lenses.
These new intraocular lens techniques are more efficient than ever and provide successful results for your vision.
Hie sir, im 22, as I have squint eye from My childhood. By gods grace. It did not come completely. When I concentrate on something then squint eye comes automatically .problem is .since then childhood I can manage it (like it will not come usually. But now im unable to handle it. Do you suggest any exercises related to It?
Oculoplastics, or oculoplastic surgery, incorporates a wide assortment of surgical strategies that fix arrangement with the orbit (eye attachment), eyelids, tear channels, and the face. It, likewise, manages the remaking of the eye and related structures.
Oculoplastic surgery is carried out by an Oculoplastic surgeon. He should be an expert ophthalmologist who has embraced further expertise in plastic surgery. Your oculoplastic surgeon's essential focus is the well being and security of your eyes.
There are several procedures or types of oculoplastic surgery. They are enlisted below.
- Eyelid surgery: Blepharoplasty is the most well-known sort of eyelid surgery. It is done through entry points along the lines of your eyelids. The specialist makes the entry point and after that isolates the skin from the hidden tissue to evacuate the abundant fat, skin, and muscle. Sutures are then set in the upper eyelids to close the entry points. The lower covers may not require sutures, contingent on the method utilized. The methodology, for the most part, takes around two hours if both upper and lower eyelids are done together.
- Tear duct surgery: This surgery is also called dacryocystorhinostomy. For carrying out a tear duct surgery or dacryocystorhinostomy, your surgeon will make a little entry point through the nose or through the skin within a corner of your eye and your nose. Another tear drain opening is made from the blocked sac specifically into the nose. A stent might be left in the new tear drain incidentally to keep the pipe open. At times, the obstacle stays blocked and a perpetual manufactured drain is set behind the edge of the eyelids.
- Orbital surgery: There is a wide range of sorts of orbital surgeries, and the surgical methodology that will be picked for your situation relies upon the area, size, and degree of infection present. In a few cases, just a little skin entry point is required without the trouble of incisions. In others, vast entry points are required and unmistakable scars may come about. Your specialist will expel or repair harmed tissues as vital while painstakingly saving eye capacity and vision.
- Botox: The procedure takes only a few minutes and no anesthesia is required. Botox is injected with a fine needle into specific muscles with only minor discomfort. It generally takes three to seven days to take full effect and it is best to avoid alcohol at least one week prior to treatment. Aspirin and anti-inflammatory medications should be stopped two weeks before treatment as well in order to reduce bruising.
There are many procedures of oculoplastic surgery. Your surgeon will choose the best one that goes with your situation. This kind of surgery is very successful.
I have a small injury under my left eye because of a bamboo stick, it was an accident, my cheek got swollen and the skin around my eye became violet in colour, how to get rid of the swelling and the clot immediately?
My eye sight is weak (-1.75) and I am using spectacles from 7 years. I want to know that how can I improve my eye sight. Please Suggest some good diet and exercise for eyes. And also best eye drops and medicines for weak eyes.
I am 63 year old, diabetic patient for last 35 years. retina of my both eyes are affected, My blood group is 'O'Rh ve Can donate my few organs as mentioned in your article ORGAN DONOR?
Hi Dr, I am 25 years male. I have itching in my eyes and its became red due to allergy. Suggest me eye drop and home remedy also.
After squint surgery to both eyes in adults how many days does it take to recover and if recover is their chance to come eyes into original position?
Hi, I am 32 years old female, married.I wear glasses from 4 years age. Nowadays I sometimes feel like my right eye gets very tired & I have a bit of discomfort most of the time for that eye. I got a severe eye infection on 2010 in both the eyes but it was cured .My right eye has more power than left eye from childhood. But somehow I had a feeling after that infection, my right eye started having this problem but I am not sure. I consulted doctors couple of times to find out about eye power & any infection related problem. But nothing was found. Can you suggest what problem I migt have? Also the discomfort is prominent in the right eye whenever I have a headache.
This method is implied for youngsters and people aged below 40 years, who have high power glasses, and are not suitable for lasik treatment. Here, an ultra slender lens of an uncommon configuration and the required force is situated in the eye over the normal lens inside the eye. This lens amends the spectacle force of the eye. ICL is made in Switzerland, and the request for the lens is set according to estimations of the eye.
Here are some facts you should know about ICL:
- Spherical ICL lens redresses only spherical powered glasses. Toric ICL lens rectifies chamber alongside the spherical force of glasses. The main technique for changeless vision rectification that didn't include glasses or contact lenses accessible to patients who are not reasonable contenders for LASIK is the ICL or the Implantable contact.
- It is embedded in the back chamber, behind the iris, over the normal lens of the eye so as to correct the refractive mistake of the eye.
- It offers vision adjustment that is more honed and has more prominent profundity and measurement than other refractive surgeries. Indeed, ICL may create unrivalled visual quality as confirmed by less higher request abnormalities than corneal refractive surgeries. Patients encounter an almost immediate vision recovery.
- The lens is invisible to the eyes of the patient and also other people. The whole surgery takes around 10 to 15 minutes. The lens is biocompatible and made of collamer, a material based on collagen. It contains a UV blocker that forestalls unsafe UVA and UVB rays from entering the eye.
- ICL surgeries are amazingly safe. A few patients may encounter some distress amid the mending procedure like dry eyes or light affectability. These impacts are brief. Your specialist will examine with you the dangers and advantages of the method amid your interview.
Advantages of ICL:
- The lens is foldable and infused through a small, torment free, self-recuperating entry point in your eye.
- The ICL gives very successful results, and fantastic nature of vision. After this treatment, you can leave the clinic following two or three hours, because of fast recuperation. You will have the capacity to make the most of your new sight very quickly and retreat to your dynamic way of life. Your specialist will give you a point by point exhort on this.
- ICL corrects a very large range of visual defects.ICL Is one of the most effective spectacle removal techniques. It corrects your vision instantly after a surgery and lasts quite long.