Doctor in Dr Anjali Rani Arora's Clinic
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr Anjali Rani Arora's ClinicYour feedback matters!
When you are pregnant, it is quite difficult to control what you eat. It is because as an expecting woman, you get a lot of cravings and want to eat the weirdest thing sometimes. But to conceive a healthy baby, you must maintain a healthy diet. A healthy baby requires all the essential nutrients for its growth and development within the womb and the mother’s body supplies the food. Hence, it is vital for the mother to eat right.
During the first trimester, it is important to eat food substances that are rich sources of iron, vitamins and folic acid as these three nutrients are essential for the development of nervous system and help in getting relief from nausea. Those females who do not consume at least 600 mg of folic acid in a day, the chances for a baby of getting neural tube defects get increased. The fruits and vegetables that are rich sources of calcium, magnesium, iron, and potassium are very important such as broccoli, spinach etc. Dairy products should be consumed such as milk, cheese, and yogurt. Protein is essential for bodybuilding and rich sources of protein such as chicken and eggs should be consumed. Fish can also be consumed however, not all fishes are advised during pregnancy, and it is better that you should check with your nutritionist for it. Carbohydrates are also required for energy metabolism and therefore, whole grain food substances should be consumed.
Further, there are foods that should not be consumed during pregnancy.
- Raw or undercook chicken or meat
- Fish like swordfish, shark, king mackerel & tilefish as they are high in mercury.
- Unpasteurized dairy products
- Raw or undone eggs
- Canned foods
- Herbal teas
- Licorice (mulethi)
Second trimester Diet -
Calcium and vitamin D is very important in this stage as baby needs strong bones and teeth. The brain development of the baby is required and hence woman should increase the intake of magnesium and omega-3 fatty acid. Again fruits (mangoes etc.) and vegetables (broccoli, carrots, cabbage etc.) that are rich in folic acid, vitamin D, magnesium and calcium should be consumed. Dairy products rich in calcium and magnesium such as pro-biotic yogurt, low-fat milk, low-fat cream cheese etc. should be included in the diet. Food rich in omega-3 like almonds, walnuts, seeds like flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc. and essential carbohydrate containing brown rice, fortified bread etc.
Third-trimester diet -
The third-trimester diet plan must include food items that are rich in carbohydrates and vitamin K such as leafy vegetables that helps in blood clotting. Vitamin K is very essential for the birth procedure and breastfeeding. Iron is required because it is responsible for preventing low birth rate and premature delivery. Food types such as protein-rich foods that contain iron and zinc, eggs, salmon and plenty of fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C and A should be included in the diet.
Hence, the following guidelines as per diet should be followed to avoid any complication during pregnancy and to have a healthy baby.
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian field of medicine that has been in existence since time immemorial. Many people swear by its efficacy and it is also a proper field of study for people who want to practice this form of medicine as doctors. Ayurveda makes use of a variety of herbs and lifestyle changes including diet, rest and massages in order to create a healthier body. Ayurveda combines Yogic postures with these herbs to create various kinds of treatment for varied conditions.
Panchakarma therapy is one of the kinds of Ayurvedic treatments that can greatly benefit the human body in many ways. This is basically made up of five therapies, which aim at removing the toxins from the body of the patient. One must take a proper consultation with a doctor in order to practice this therapy. Read on to know more about this form of treatment and its various benefits.
Five therapies: As mentioned above, this therapy is made up of five therapies including Vamana, Raktamokshana, Nasya, Basti and Virechana. These therapies aim at freeing the body of the toxins that may accumulate and give rise to a variety of conditions and diseases in various organs of the body.
Oils and diet: This therapy is carried out with the help of various medicated oils that help in eliminating the different toxins in one's body. As per the tenets of Ayurveda, one also has to follow a specific diet and a systematic routine along with this therapy so that the Kapha toxins are removed from the body.
Ailments and conditions: There are many kinds of conditions and ailments that can be cured and managed with the help of this therapy. Asthma and cervical spondylitis are some of the conditions. Here, the painful symptoms and attacks can be kept at a minimum because these have to do with the Kapha dosha, which is effectively treated when the Kapha toxins are flushed out of the body following this therapy. This treatment helps in cleansing the body with the help of the various oils and the five therapies that are used here.
Aging process: The Panchakarma therapy helps in preventing the aging process and the signs of aging by replenishing the cells and the energy in the body. This helps in keeping the bones, skin and hair healthy as well since the patient goes through regular bouts of massage in order to get the treatment.
Stress: This treatment eliminates stress as it brings about a more calm state of mind. It does so by strengthening the body through the removal of immunity breaking toxins, which puts the hormones back in balance.
Benefits of Panchakarma Treatment:
- The results of Panchakarma are very powerful and effective. Some of the benefits include:
- The doshas Vata, Pitta and Kapha, will return to their original places and function normally. Mind calms down, and intellect and concentration become sharp.
- It helps to attain a clear and glowing complexion.
- It helps to reverse the negative effects of daily living.
- It restores the natural state of health and wellness by bringing balance in the system and improving bodily function.
- A person undergoing Panchakarma attains longevity, intellect and freedom from diseases.
Pili Annulati is a hair disorder, in which the affected hair has a typical pattern of dark and light banding. People who have pili annulati might well go on to describe their hair as striped or as having silver kinds of beads. This particular condition mainly involves around 20 to 80% of the hair that are present on the scalp, though it can also involve hair present on the face and the whole body. Hair, which gets affected might be prone towards getting broken.
Pili Annulati can crop up during infancy or in childhood or it might also affect people in their later lives. This can be visible with naked eye, though it would be difficult to get noticed on all those people who have dark hair.
There are various kinds of symptoms, which tend to come across when they are faced with this condition. Some of them include:
- Different kinds of colored bands on each strand of hair
- Hair is brittle and so they tend to fall off
- The irregularity of hair could be noticed amongst the normal growth of hair
Causes of Pili Annulati-
- The exact behind the occurrence of Pili Annulati is not known. It usually gets through a gene that is autosomal dominant. Hair getting ringed, which happens during this condition, might well get caused as a result of deficiency in metabolic protein, which leads to the formation of cytoplasmic ribosomes with the hair cells in an abnormal manner, hence, resulting in the unusual formation of keratin which develops in the cortex of one’s hair.
- Most of the cases are thought to be caused due to a mutation in the cells of the hair follicle, which forms the keratin.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Pili Annulati-
Ayurveda looks to treat any problem by implementing natural means, through herbs, powders, pastes, which gets to the root of the problem and that’s where the healing takes place. As Ayurveda is involved in natural treatment methods, hence, people like to prefer undergoing the procedures for solving their health-related problems as there are no side-effects in them.
Some of the methods of Ayurvedic treatment include:
- Herbal hair care shampoos can come to great use and be very effective in treating this problem of ringed hair or Pili Annulati.
- Medicated shampoos can lead to re-growth of hair and hence prevent hair loss.
- Other than this, massaging the hair with olive oil can also be an ideal option for getting this condition healed
- People can also look to have a protein-rich diet, as lack of essential nutrients and protein can lead to this problem.
- So lentils, seeds, fruits, vegetables, meat can be included in one’s diet to heal this problem.
Colorectal surgery is the broad term for surgical procedures performed on the colon, the rectum and the anus. There are various different surgical procedures which fall under colorectal surgery and these are used to treat a vast array of disorders, such as:
The surgeries under colorectal surgery are performed after diagnostic tests such as proctoscopy, sigmoidoscopy and defecating proctography. The most common diagnostic test is colonoscopy. These help to identify the origin and nature of the problem and decide which surgical procedure is to be followed. The procedures under colorectal surgery are as follows:
This procedure involves removal of a section of the large intestine. This is known as partial colectomy. In extreme cases, such as advanced cancer or severe gastrointestinal infection, the entire colon is removed and this is called total colectomy. Sometimes, the rectum is also taken out along with the colon and this is called proctocolectomy.
An abnormal growth of tissues of the inner lining of an organ is known as a polyp. Colonic polypectomy is done to eliminate polyps from the colon and rectum before they become malignant. This can be done endoscopically. Surgery is required in case of large polyps.
Chronic or repeated bowel inflammation causes scar tissue to accumulate in the large intestine. This results in the narrowing of the colon. Stricturoplasty removes the scar tissue so that proper flow of digestive contents is resumed.
4.Colostomy or Ileostomy
A damaged section of the colon is removed and the shortened intestine is then attached to another opening (stoma) in the anterior wall of the abdomen.
This surgical process is used for swollen hemorrhoids or blood vessels which form in the anal canal. Hemorrhoidectomy is extremely effective in removing hemorrhoids but the surgery also involves a number of complications.
Anoplasty or imperforate anus correction is done to correct birth defects in the rectum and the anus. The structural flaw does not allow the stool to pass properly from the rectum and so it is repaired using surgery.
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a medical procedure that side-steps the sexual act of conceiving and helps infertile couples, conceive a biological child. It involves the manual process of fertilization by combining an egg and sperm in the laboratory and then implanting the embryo into the female to impregnate her.
- Lifestyle habits: Certain lifestyle factors can significantly affect your prospects of getting pregnant through this route. Smoking can reduce your prospect of success using this procedure by about 50%. It can cause you to have lesser number of eggs retrieved during the procedure while increasing instances of miscarriages. Likewise, obesity, alcohol use, consumption of excessive caffeine and drugs can adversely affect your chances of getting pregnant using IVF.
- Embryo status: Embryos that are better developed with good grade stand a higher chance of experiencing success than less developed embryos. More importantly, not every embryo is able to survive the development process.
- The age at which you get pregnant: A factor that plays a role in influencing your chances of experiencing success in your IVF procedure is the age at which you opt for this procedure. The lower your age, the chances that you may get pregnant and deliver a healthy child using your own eggs witness an increase. On the other hand, if you're aged 41 and above, or your egg reserve is very low donor eggs are the most preferred option as they help to increase your prospects of meeting a success.
- Cause of Infertility: If your supply of eggs is normal, success rate using IVF is high. Women who suffer from the problem of endometriosis experience lesser chances of getting pregnant than women who have unexplained fertility.
- Reproductive history: IVF success rate chances are higher if you've delivered a baby previously using IVF.
Travelling during pregnancy - Is it safe?
Pregnancy places some restrictions on the expectant mother, and one of them is limiting travel so much so that most women do only the required and essential commutes and skip any other travel, including vacations and business travel, completely until delivery. However, with the lifestyle changing for the woman so radically, this is being revisited. The doctor’s current advice is that unless there are potential complications expected or significant concerns, it is completely safe to travel.
The first trimester especially is a little tricky for travel, with the morning sickness. The second trimester is considered more ideal for travel, as the morning sickness and the feeling of being pregnant is sunk in, so the mother is comfortable. The third trimester is fine too, but the chances of fatigue are higher, and so travel is better avoided.
Read on to know some significant things to remember whether you are on a plane, train, or road during your pregnancy.
- Always buckle yourself up as soon as you enter the car. Use both the seat belt and the lap belt.
- Keep the air bags turned on.
- Try to avoid travel time of four hours at a stretch.
- When stopping for breaks, try to walk around a bit and stretch so that you do not feel the strain of sitting for long hours.
- Most airlines allow women to travel during the first eight months of pregnancy.
- Some airlines do allow for travel during the ninth month, if the doctor approves it, or if there is an attendant with the expectant woman.
- It is okay to walk through airport screening during pregnancy. There are some women who are apprehensive about this aspect.
- Similarly the cabin pressure in the commercial planes reduces, but does not bear any significant impact for a pregnant woman.
- Select an aisle seat, as it allows for easy seating and getting up.
- Walking to the restroom and back should be carefully managed. The aisle is quite narrow and care must be taken to avoid hurting yourself.
- Use the seats for providing support when walking through the aisle.
- Especially, in turbulent stretches, try remaining seated, bearing in mind the safety aspects for yourself and the baby.
- Traveling by bus is safe, but trips to the restroom would be difficult.
- Trains are generally considered safer, as there is a lot of room for movement. Restrooms are available anytime, which is another major advantage.
- Sea travel is also considered safe, but sea sickness could add to the nausea.
- For long-term sailing, check with the cruise provider or the boat facility about availability of a healthcare provider on the ship.
Menstrual disorders are caused by a variety of factors and affect every woman in a different manner. In most cases, it manifests itself in the form of fluctuations in menstrual flow and irregularity in the monthly cycle. Certain disorders are not too severe and can be easily alleviated. Others are more complicated and require the immediate attention of a gynecologist.
As mentioned, there are different specific causes of different kinds of disorders resulting from a range of factors such as hormone levels, functioning of the central nervous system, health of the uterus, etc.
Some of the most common causes of menstrual disorders are as follows:
- Hormonal imbalance: Fluctuating hormone levels in the body have a direct impact on the menstrual cycle. These fluctuations can be caused by dysfunction in the pituitary gland, thyroid gland or adrenal gland. It can also be a result of malfunction in either or both ovaries and the secretion of hormones originating there.
- Anatomic problems: One fourth menstrual disorders are caused by problems of the anatomy. These include various gynecological issues like the presence of uterine fibroids and polyps, reduced uterine contractile strength, adenomyosis (intrusion of uterine tissue into the muscular wall of the uterus), a uterus with an excessively large surface area, and endometrial cancer.
- Clotting irregularities: Abnormality in clotting is a cause of heavy menstrual bleeding in women. It leads to exceeding blood loss from minor cuts and gashes and makes one easily prone to bruising. This may also include medical conditions such as thrombocytopenia (platelet dysfunction) and Von Willebrand disease.
- Medications and supplements: There is a wide range of medications and nutritional or hormonal supplements which often cause menstrual disorders in women and lead to fluctuations in the menstrual cycle. These include medicines such as aspirin, ibuprofen, estrogen pills, Vitamin E supplements etc.
- Miscellaneous factors: These are comparatively rare and require a greater degree of medical attention. It includes conditions such as cervical cancer, ovarian tumors, liver and kidney diseases, uterine infections, extreme psychological stress, obesity, etc. Incidents such as miscarriages and unsuspected pregnancies are also known to cause abnormal menstrual bleeding.
You may be a Greek god in bed but there is always scope for improvement. Food is known to play a major role in your sex life; think of aphrodisiac foods such as banana and dark chocolate. These foods raise your libido levels which make you a better performer in bed.
Oysters: Oysters are a type of food that is high in zinc which is known for its libido enhancing abilities. They also contain important amino acids which boost production of sex hormones in the body.
Avocados: Avocados contain Vitamin E in good amounts which keep your sex spark ignited. They are not only good for your libido but also beneficial for your skin. Vitamin E is known to keep your skin healthy and free from different skin disorders such as acne.
Chilies: A staple ingredient in most Indian kitchens, the humble chili is a well-known aphrodisiac. It contains compounds which influence better secretion of ‘endorphins’ by the brain. Endorphins are called the ‘happy hormones’ which help boost heart rate, thus contributing to improved blood circulation. An enhanced blood circulation to the sexual organs certainly keeps them in better health.
Chocolate: Chocolate, especially its darker cousin, has compounds which increase ‘dopamine’ levels in the body, the hormone which is known to increase pleasure during sex.
Honey: Wondering where the term “honeymoon” came from? Well, it comes from a drink called ‘mead’ which is made from honey. Honey is rich in Boron which boosts energy levels and also helps regulate hormone levels in the body.
Coffee: Caffeine is a strong stimulant of blood flow in the body. It ups energy levels and elevates heart rate, thus giving you the required impetus to last that bit longer.
Pine nuts: Being rich in zinc, this food packs quite a punch below the belt. You can also use them as your evening snack to get rid of food cravings.