Doctor in Dharamshila Hospital and Research Centre
Cancer Pain Management
Epidural And Spinal Anesthesia Techniques
Diagnostic Cardiac Procedures
Treatment of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimu
Submit a review for Dharamshila Hospital and Research CentreYour feedback matters!
What is chiropractic therapy?
It is one of the type of alternative medicine which deals with diagnosis, and treatment of disorders of the musculoskeletal system. Doctors who perform it are known as chiropractors.
How was it originated?
It was invented by D. D. Palmer in 1895. It was invented by him by adjusting the spine of a deaf man, and he restored his hearing by doing that. After finding such a great result he proposed that all the diseases are due to subluxation of the spine (95%), and subluxations of other bone (5%).
Thus, he concluded, and formed a base of it by postulating following things:
- Diseases occur because of bones displacement.
- These bony displacements cause nerve entrapment.
- Manipulation of the spine replaces the bones, and removes the nerve interference, and allows a vitalistic life force to restore the health.
But there is no supporting evidence of these postulates.
Why is it done?
The main purpose of it is to correct alignment problems, to reduce the pain, and to support the body's natural ability to heal itself. Sometimes, other methods, such as the application of heat, and ice, electrical stimulation, relaxation techniques, rehabilitative, and general exercise, diet counseling, weight loss, and lifestyle modification are also advised.
What are the advantages of it?
- Spinal manipulation therapy (SMT) is one of the effective therapy for the patients with low back pain but it has shown positive effects only in some patients.
- Chiropractic can effectively treat injuries such as muscle strains, tennis elbow, pelvic sprains.
- Chiropractic helps in relieving pressure in the joints, soft tissue, and it also include typical spinal adjusting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Gastro-intestinal symptoms and diseases can be reduced by chiropractic therapy like colic, chronic constipation, gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD), heartburn, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Chiropractic treatment also helps in improving neck pains due to obstructing structures whether it may be from the distant or nearer cause.
- The nervous system functions simultaneously along with the immune system, and other systems. According to chiropractic, the pathways of nerves from the central nervous system require open communication with the immune system so that our body can repair itself. Chiropractic care removes any obstacles which obstruct this line of communication.
- Chiropractic care can be used in a woman’s pregnancy to make pregnancy comfortable, and can also be used to reduce the chances of complicated labor.
- It also helps in cancer patients for improving wellness, and to prevent it through education.
What are the adverse effects of it?