Laser Hair Treatment
Hair Loss Treatment
Laser Hair Reduction
Skin Resurfacing & Cellulite Treatment
Advanced Skin Care
Acne Scars Treatment
Pigmentation & Under Eye Circle
Skin Revival Treatment
Skin Rejuvination Treatment
Age Miracle Treatment
Skin Refinement Treatment
Skin Laser Treatment
Fine Line & Stretch Marks Removal Treatment
Facial Hair Transplant
Platelet Rich Plasma
Fine Lines & Stretch Marks
Collagen Induction Therapy
Laser Skin Technology
Tags & Freckles
Age Spots & Tatoo Removal
Pigmentation & Under Eye Circles
Patient Review Highlights
My problem was such that it required a number of sessions, and I must say after all the sessions, I am feeling much better now. I thought it was something very normal, but then I realised the blister is something else. the overall atmosphere in the Berkowits Hair And Skin Clinic - Ghaziabad is very soothing. she is very talented and seasoned doctor. I remember, I read an article of Anupriya Goel in the paper and made contact. Anupriya Goel with great ease handled my serious case with ease. Thanks to him I am totally satisfied with the results. Berkowits Hair And Skin Clinic - Ghaziabad can handle all types of emergency cases.
I had Dark Skin problem and didn't know what to do.dranupriya Goel is not just friendly, but also is very motivating.I have consulted so many doctors , but no one was able to solve my issue. Someone from the office, referred me to him. It was an amazing experience as everyone in the Berkowitz hair and skin clinic ghaziabad is so nice.I am really grateful as heras hertreatment has give me a ray of hope.
i got breast enhancement from Dr. Anupriya Goel at Berkowits Hair And Skin Clinic - Ghaziabad it has all the latest technology in place to handle severe cases. Everything was just spick and span in the Berkowits Hair And Skin Clinic - Ghaziabad. she is very patient with all her patients.
I read about the Berkowits Hair And Skin Clinic on one of the social media platform. It is a very nice clinic for the treatment of acne and pimples. The staff is very good ad polite. It is located in kailash colony.
I consulted dr Anupriya Goel at Berkowits Hair And Skin Clinic in Ghaziabad. She is a very nice doctor. She ended my acne problem very quickly and easily.
It was good. They did the hair & scalp analysis which I found to be really helpful.
Junk Food Effects on Your Health
Junk food has certain adverse affects on your body which if not controlled in time, may lead to severe health complications:
- Obesity– Junk food contains fat and carbohydrates which, when accumulated leads to obesity. You put on weight and ultimately that hampers your health, makes you lazy and inactive.
- Reduces Your Energy Level– Junk food does not consist of nutrients required to make our body healthy and energetic. Thus, when you consume it, you become obese, which further reduces your energy levels and ultimately your performance.
- Health Conditions– Junk food is poison to one’s health. Besides obesity, it also harms the vital organs of our body. Many cardiologists believe that people who prefer junk food are more likely to suffer from a heart attack because of high cholesterol.
Beside this, it also affects the functioning of liver and kidney. Moreover, it is one of the biggest reasons for diabetes. So
Say good Bye to Junk Foods!
Pregnancy is a life-changing phase in a woman’s life. In addition to a baby (or babies!), there are a lot of physical and emotional changes also that come with it. The more evident are the physical ones, and in addition to weight changes, the stretch marks are the most obvious.
The uterus or the womb grows to its full extent to accommodate the developing baby, and so there is stretching of the connective tissue in these areas. After delivery, the tension is lost, and these marks become evident.
What are stretch marks?
These marks appear as lines on the skin and are most commonly found in areas such as the buttocks, arms, breasts, thighs and stomach. They are different in appearance in comparison to the normal skin. It may appear pinkish or purplish initially and then it takes a shiny appearance later. When you feel the stretch marks, you may feel a certain indentation or ridge on the skin. It may feel sore or itchy as well sometimes.
They most commonly appear during adolescence when there is rapid growth and stretching of the skin. It is also seen in women pre and post pregnancy. Stretch marks can also appear when there is a sudden change in weight.
How To Treat Them?
Use Moisturisers: People who use moisturisers show an increased elasticity of the skin, which reduces the appearance of stretch marks on the skin. Keeping the skin hydrated stops the skin from tearing and creating stretch marks. Moisturising is not entirely effective on older marks, but it can help with newly formed stretch marks. You can also use it on areas that are prone to stretch marks.
Retin-A: Retin- A is known to boost collagen production that helps the skin to stretch out with ease and not cause tears. When Retin-A is used, it is recommended to limit the sun exposure as the skin becomes more susceptible to sun damage and burning.
Glycolic Acid: This chemical compound falls under the category of an alpha-hydroxy acid which is commonly found as a major ingredient in chemical peels. It is known to amplify the production of collagen and increase the tensile strength of the skin. Go to your dermatologist for a stronger dose for more effective results.
A Combination of Retin-A and Glycolic Acid: A combination of these two potentiates the action of each other and gives better results.
Vitamin E Oil: You can find Vitamin E oil capsules in medical shops that are known as the miracle medication when it comes to curing stretch marks.
Essential Oils: Certain essential oils like rose oil, lavender oil, or geranium oil are known to reduce stretch marks.
Vascular Laser: Pulsed dye laser that is kept at the wavelength of 585 nm is used to remove the stretch marks that are red and newly formed. It may not be effective on the older ones that have turned silver. This process is highly expensive and needs about 6 sittings. The efficacy of this procedure also depends on the complexion of the skin. Much like laser hair removal, vascular laser does not work on darker skin. The colour difference between the marks and the actual skin tone should be prominent.
Fractional Laser Treatment or Laser Resurfacing: This is used to get rid of the older stretch marks that have turned light and are no longer red. This procedure is more expensive than the previous one and is prone to leave scars on the site of application.
Abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck: The only permanent solution to get rid of stretch marks is to cut them out entirely. If you are tired of the stubborn tiger stripes, then this could be your only way out.
RF Micro-Needling Device: This is a more cost effective alternative to CO2 Laser Resurfacing that could be used on any stretch mark types –“new and old”. The micro needles are driven directly into the skin to a certain depth (0.2mm-3.0mm) and radiofrequency (RF) energy is then released inside the skin. Minimally invasive RF thermal energy creates fractional electrocoagulation in the dermis which facilitates a natural wound healing process promoting the remodelling of collagen. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
Lybrate | Dr Anupriya Bansal speaks on IMPORTANCE OF TREATING ACNE EARLY --
There are many commonly occurring fungal infections of the skin like athlete's foot, ringworm, yeast infection and jocks itch. These infections are caused because of warm, moist and humid environment which is ideal for fungal growth. There is no need to worry, as all these conditions are treatable with topical ointments and medicines. Here is all you need to know of common fungal infections of the skin:
1. Athlete's foot: it is diagnosed with skin sample tests. The common symptoms are:
- Burning and itching
- Redness, blisters, softening or breaking down of skin.
- Peeling, cracking and scaling of feet.
2. Jock's itch: jock itch, also called tinea cruris, is a common skin infection that is caused by a type of fungus called tinea. The fungus thrives in warm, moist areas of the body and as a result, infection can affect the genitals, inner thighs, and buttocks. Infections occur more frequently in the summer or in warm, wet climates. Jock itch appears as a red, itchy rash that is often ring-shaped. Symptoms can be described as:
- Itching, chafing, or burning in the groin or thigh
- A circular, red, raised rash with elevated edges
- Redness in the groin or thigh
- Flaking, peeling, or cracking skin
3. Ring worm: ring worm is a fungal infection which can occur anywhere on the skin. It is circular in appearance and often cause the surrounding skin to become scaly. Symptoms are common as of most fungal infections. Ring worm can be treated with many over the counter creams.
4. Yeast infection: they occur when yeast on the skin grows more actively and causes a red, scaling, itchy rash on the skin. Yeast infections are not contagious. It is especially common among people who are obese or who have diabetes. People taking antibiotics are also at risk of such. Yeast infection is one fungal infection with most varied symptoms.
Signs of yeast infection in skin folds include:
- Patches that ooze clear fluid
- Pimple-like bumps
- Itching or burning
Signs of yeast infection in the nail beds include:
Signs of thrush (yeast infection of the mouth) include:
- White patches on tongue and inside of the cheeks
Signs of vaginal yeast infection include:
- White or yellow discharge from the vagina
- Redness in the external area of the vagina
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dermatologist.
The manufacturers are producing breakfast cereals as per the consumer’s preference, but at the cost of their health.
Many cereals are high in sugar and refined carbs. Added sugar is a bad component of our modern diet and most of the sugar coming in our diet reaches through processed foods, of which breakfast cereals contain relatively higher amounts of sugar.
Avoid cereals high in sugar and carbohydrates. This will be a healthy option, with lots of dietary fibres, minus the unwanted components like sugars, thereby ensuring a nutritious breakfast for you and your family.
It includes vitamins, trace enzymes, amino acids, and minerals like calcium, iron, sodium chlorine, magnesium, phosphate, and potassium. Doctors advise taking Honey.
Some benefits of Honey
Because of its bend toward the acidic PH level (3.2 to 4.5), it helps reduce bacteria growth and the antioxidant properties help it wipe out some free radicals.
Because of its high carbohydrate load, honey is a wonderful source of unprocessed sugar energy.
Honey also helps the brain absorb calcium, which helps with memory as well.
The World Health Organization (WHO) gives credence to honey as a demulcent, which helps alleviate a cough due to the honey acting as a protective film over the throat.
Best way to improve your health is by improving your breathing technique
- Doctors recommend - we should breathe from our diaphragm instead of breathing from our chest. This change in the breathing pattern will help to maximize the oxygen intake and will also ensure that you stay calm.
Change your breathing style to improve the way your body functions and blood circulation.
Remember always -
What you may not have considered is that you can also lose a lot of hair by combing it the wrong way.
Never detangle your hair after shampooing.
Hair is known to be at its weakest when wet, which can also make it prone to tangling. Combing and excessive pulling of tangled, wet hair increases your chances of hair breakage and eventual hair loss.
Doctors always recommend taking green tea.
In our daily routine, the work stress, extra working hours and late night shifts all result in the excess intake of tea and coffee. Though we cannot completely control this habit what we can do is to turn to green tea. Green tea is packed with antioxidants and keeps your heart healthy.
It also contains Polyphemus that aid in cancer prevention. Moreover, don’t’ worry, it stimulates you, in the same way, coffee and tea do!
Remember To Wear A Sunscreen
Sweating is nature’s way of eliminating toxic chemicals that can build up under the skin. Regular exercise maintains healthy circulation and blood flow throughout your body, including your skin. If you’re exercising outdoors, though, remember to wear a sunscreen on your face that protects against UVA and UVB rays or a moisturizer with sunscreen protection.
Enjoy Summers with Berkowits.
In summers - Oil the scalp frequently
Oil your hair as frequently as you can. It moisturizes your hair & uses a gentle shampoo to get rid of the oil. Oiling the scalp is good for your hair.
Love your soft and smooth hair.
Being the first to be noticed, every person (especially woman) tries their best to make sure that the face does not show signs of ageing. As soon as dark circles or pigments appear or the skin begins to sag, people start to look for ways to control this and reverse the ageing look.
What is a thread lift?
A thread lift is a convenient and safe method that is less invasive and can help in reducing the sagging skin around the jawline and neck. The results are far better than conventional surgical methods and with much lesser risk too.
What is done?
Tiny incisions are made in the marked areas of the skin through which special threads are inserted. They are left in place for a while so that they can attach to the skin. The threads also have small cones or hooks embedded in them, which stimulate collagen production when the thread is left in place. This increases the duration of producing a youthful appearance. They are then lifted off, bringing with them the skin too, giving it a literal lift. This helps in repositioning the skin and surrounding facial tissue, giving a facelift that is almost immediately noticeable.
It does not require anaesthesia and the patient is usually awake during the procedure. The patient can even see the results and ask for further lifts to get the desired results. The threads are then knotted in place and left behind in the skin. The threads may or may not dissolve over a period of time. If not dissolvable, they need to be removed. The threads are usually of clear polypropylene and are used along the contour lines that are naturally present in the face. They can be absorbable or nonabsorbable.
Who is it for?
Anybody with good quality skin, usually in the 30s to 60s age group, where the sagging is just beginning to set in and is not very visible. There is still sufficient collagen deposits in these people to allow for regeneration. They also can be useful in younger people to improve facial contours or correct asymmetry.
Referred to as lunchtime facials, there are multiple benefits to this magical procedure.
- These help restore a youthful appearance, especially in the brows, cheeks and neck areas.
- Less commonly, they are also used on the breasts, buttocks and upper arms.
- They can help in improving muscle tone and improving aged appearance.
- They are also useful in shaping and lifting sagging areas.
- The results can last from 1.5 to 4 years, depending on skin care routine and type of treatment done.
- Talk to your surgeon about what to expect before going ahead with the procedure. A well-trained surgeon can definitely do wonders with these threads.
If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.
Hair loss can have a very detrimental effect on the social life and the self-confidence of most of the people whether it is men who suffer from hair loss or the women who faces it. There has been times when use to hide their balding area by using wigs either due to the lack of solution or just because they could not afford hair loss treatments.
Hair loss can happen to anyone and these days it has been even reported that teenagers are also facing it due to excessive use of hair products and treatments. Hair loss is a condition that has affected many and many people all across the globe. Hair loss can be treated but some products do not guarantee that they will grow your hair, especially in the case when the follicles have been dormant for a longer period of time. It depends how much severe the hair loss has been and according to it multiple procedures are suggested. It is now possible to regrow a considerable amount of hair without taking a medication or applying something for the remaining part of your life. Hair transplant these days has become quite a viable option for people availing various hair transplant solutions that also include dedicated cosmetic treatments such as eyebrow and eyelash transplant. It is basically a surgically hair restoration technique that requires an incision in order to get rid of a portion of the scalp, usually at the back of the head, to obtain the donor grafts. The whole procedure is very delicate and requires careful precision by hair surgeons. Doctors may also suggest varied hair care tips after the procedure so that complete assurance is done.
Hair transplant is a great option as long as the patient is aware about the post transplant care. The implants that are done require proper care throughout the whole recovery procedure and needs patience and obedience from the patient. It becomes the duty and the responsibility of the patient to maintain a healthy environment for his/her new hair implants to bloom. Hair transplantation cost is also much affordable as compared to the other treatments. Plus, it recovers fast and is almost scar less. Hair loss is a concern in many people and throughout the years, the technology has significantly improved. Hair care tips are the ones that act as a guide for you to maintain those healthy locks and create a long lasting impression after the hair transplant. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.
In one’s fight with cancer, an inevitable harsh reality stands in the face- imminent loss of hair with cycles of chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Cancer treatment aftermaths is not about a person’s battle with the disease but with oneself after he or she has already defeated one’s cruelest enemy.
We fully and absolutely agree that Beauty is Skin Deep; but it’s just that having gorgeous locks of hair does wonders in boosting one’s self-esteem and confidence. We, at Berkowits, bow down to the warrior spirits in you and lends you a friendly helping hand by offering distinct wigs and hair prosthetics for cancer patients and cancer survivors.
For cancer patients there is wide variety of wigs to choose from, in various styles and colors depending upon an individual’s desires and requirements. These wigs are lightweight, comfortable, safe and are suitably ventilated to wear during heat and humidity. The experts at our clinic assist you in choosing the right wig depending on your face, personality and these wigs can be styled as per your wish. Patients suffering from Alopecia areata totalis and Alopecia aerate universalist can avail this facility. Berkowits provide wigs for cancer patients, best hair wigs for cancer patients, synthetic hair wigs for cancer patients, wigs for cancer patients in Delhi.
Various types of wigs available at our clinic are:
- Ready-to-wear human hair wig
- ?Made from 100% real human hair and looks natural
- Durable and lasts long
- Can be styled, colored, blow-dried etc. just like your own hair
- Ready-to-wear synthetic hair wig
- Made from synthetic thread
- Easy to wash, leave to dry and care for as they bounce back to their original shape and style
- Hair dryer and heated rollers cannot be used
- Cheaper than human hair wig
- Customized wigs
- Tailor made to suit your face, persona and can be styled and colored as per your desire
- Can be made from synthetic or human hair
In the competitive scenario of today, you need to look appealing and pleasant. Period. Though your skill sets and knowledge base are very essential factors to clinch that coveted job, you need to look your best.
The advantages of having a good skin is not limited to your career alone—they extend to social circles, family gatherings and all other places where you need to cast a good impression. So, if you desire to be recognized in a crowd and want to stand far above the rest, then you need to find your way to a good skin clinic.
Role of professional skin Clinic
Different individuals boast of different types of skin tones, color and type. Professional skin clinics are well equipped to address the tailored requirements of dry, oily, flaky, aging and combination skin. They offer various modes of treatment to cure freckles, fine lines, acne, scars, dark spots, hyper-pigmentation and so forth.
Going a long way in enhancing the overall looks and personality of their clients, the technicians and experts connected with these skin clinics have years of experience and expertise behind then. They are aware of all the latest techniques of analyzing your skin problems and offering the best treatment possible.
How do you select the best skin clinic for yourself? Take a look.
Before you select a skin care center, you must make sure that they it is ready to offer the services that you wish you enjoy. Along with providing solutions for the problem on hand, the skin clinic should also have advanced facilities for treatment of hair loss, unwanted hair, acne, patchy skin and so on. The list can be endless.
Experience of the Technicians and Staff
Before starting with the treatment, you should go through the details of its success rate, side effects and potential complications with the doctor or technician involved. To get good, speedy and positive results, you need to look for a skin clinic that caters to its patients in the best possible way and provides professional after-care.
Advanced equipments and tools
The skin care facility should provide the latest and most sophisticated tools to provide the highest levels of services. The technicians handling these tools should be well experienced and efficient in their job and know how to take care of accidental skin damage—if any.
Most skin clinic in Delhi treatments are affordable and fall within easy reach of patients. It is important to ascertain the full cost of the prescribed treatment, the duration and number of sessions and all other ancillary costs involved. You should also get a fair idea of the price of products that you need to use at home—after the treatment in the clinic is over.
These are few of the prime factors that need consideration in the process of selecting the “right” clinic for your facial skin issues and problems.
Skin care is one of the most important regimes in a person’s life. It totally evolves the skin texture and helps in making skin breathe. Who doesn’t know the current status of the environment? Just like it is dynamic, our skin too keeps changing with the weather. It is the largest organ of the body and never remains the same. It ages too as we age and in order to age gracefully; we should take proper care of it.
Our skin bears a lot of things everyday whether it is pollution, harsh chemicals in the form of creams and stress. Stress also affects our skin a lot. In fact, it shows on our skin and our skin starts facing the negative effects of it. These days skin care products which are produced from natural ingredients do not have dangerous chemicals. They do not have side effects also if they do not affect the skin. Pigmentation on the face has affected many people. Pigmentation happens when our body produces too much of a chemical which is known as melanin. Pigmentation on the face is the most prominent though it can also occur on other parts of the body. Acne scars are one of the most major types of scars that become very difficult to cover up. In fact, our face starts to look ugly when they get worse. Today, markets are bombarded with plenty of acne scars treatment and help treating various conditions. Don’t go for the miracle cures when we talk about acne scars treatment as even worsen the condition.
Today, with the advent of technology and science many treatments are available. Laser treatment, dermabrasion and face contouring are one of the most renowned acne scar treatments. Apart from skin problems, one condition which is inevitable is ageing. We all will age at a certain age and its effects starts showing too. Wrinkles, freckles and fine lines are one of the most apparent signs of aging. But, don’t be scared! Today wrinkle removal treatments are available to get rid of the signs of aging. Wrinkle removal treatments include laser treatments and wrinkle creams. The best part of using them is that they take less time for the results to show and are pain less. Moreover, these treatments give a young and bright looking skin. Our face is the most visible part of our body and bears a lot of things every day. Harsh sun rays increases pigmentation on the face and makes it look dull and pale. Avail advanced treatments and make your skin look a decade young! If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a aesthetic medicine specialist.
The duration of the Hair Transplant is dependent on multiple factors. Namely:
1) The number of grafts being implanted
2) The procedure being followed
The number of grafts being implanted
Grafts or hair roots that are extracted and implanted in a procedure determine the duration of the surgery. Each graft can have 1-5 hair strands. Many clinics use hair and grafts interchangeably which is an unethical practice as each graft can contain 1-5 hair.
The Procedure being followed
Majorly, there are two types of Hair Transplant surgeries. (The other types are variants of these procedures)
FUE: Follicular Unit Extraction, as the name suggests, each hair unit is individually extracted i.e each graft is individually extracted. It is a very labour intensive process and the time of the surgery depends upon the experience of the Hair Transplant Team. we boast of a highly skilled Hair Transplant Team that can implant upto 3500 hair grafts in 8 hours.
FUT: Follicular Unit Transplant or Strip Hair Transplant, uses a strip of the scalp to extract hair grafts. A strip of the scalp is cut and is handed over to an experienced technician to dissect and separate the hair grafts from. It usually takes 4 to 6 hours.
Below is table that takes into account the procedure and the number of grafts to approximate the surgery time.
|Number of Grafts||Procedure Type||Number of Hours|
|1000 to 1500||FUE||6|
|1000 to 1500||FUT||4|
|1500 to 2500||FUE||7|
|1500 to 2500||FUT||5|
|2500 to 3500||FUE||8|
|2500 to 3500||FUT||6|
|More than 3500||FUE||Done over 2 Days|
|More than 3500||FUT||8|
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dermatologist.
Chemical peeling is a medical procedure which includes application of a chemical agent to the skin, causing controlled destruction of the epidermis, with or without the dermis, leading to exfoliation and removal of superficial lesions, followed by regeneration of new epidermal and dermal tissues. In simple words chemical peeling or chemical rejuvenation is procedure where a chemical agent or combination of agents of defined strength are applied the skin causing a controlled destruction of layers of the skin. This is followed by regeneration and remodeling leading to improvement of texture and surface abnormalities. It is a safe, effective and affordable option for improving skin ageing and imperfections.
Skin is considered the largest organ of the body and has many different functions. The skin is divided in two main regions, the epidermis and the dermis. The dermis is attached to an underlying hypodermis also called subcutaneous connective tissue.
Epidermis: It is the most superficial layer of the skin. The first barrier of protection from the invasion of foreign substances. The epidermis is divided into four layers – stratum corneum, stratum granulosum, stratum spinosum and stratum basalis(basal layer).
Dermis: It is composed of fibroblasts which are responsible for secreting collagen, elastin and ground substance that gives support and elasticity to skin. It supplies the epidermis with nutrients and has its role in thermoregulation. The dermis is subdivided into two zones, upper papillary and lower reticular layer.
Classification of peels according to histological depth
- Very superficial peel – Exfoliation of the stratum cormeum, without any epidermal necrosis.
- Superficial peel – Destruction of the full epidermis, up to the basal layer
- Medium peel – Destruction of the epidermis, papillary dermis and upto the upper one third of the reticular dermis.
- Deep peel – Necrosis of the entire epidermis and papillary dermis with inflammation extending to the mid reticular dermis.
Classification of chemical peeling agents
Very superficial Peel:
- Glycolic Acid 30-50% applied for 1-2 minutes
- TCA* 10% applied as one coat
- Jessner’s solution 1-3 coats
- Glycolic acid 50-70% applied for 2-10 mins (depending on the type and thickness of the skin)
- TCA 10-30%
- Jessner’s solution 4-10 coats
- Very superficial and superficial Peels are the mildest form and often called, “the lunchtime peel.” These peels break down corneocyte adhesion, causing dead skin cells to shed off to reveal the fresh, healthy underlying skin. These peels address minor skin irregularities like discoloration, acne, surface scarring, fine lines, and sun spots.
- Glycolic acid 70% applied for 3-30 mins (depending on the type and thickness of the skin)
- TCA 35-50%
- Glycolic Acid 70% plus TCA 35%
- Jessner’s solution plus TCA 35%
- Phenol 88%
- Baker Gordon phenol formula
- Medium and deep peels increase the collagen and glycosaminoglycans content, cause collagen remodeling and increase dermal thickness to improve the clinical appearance of the skin with reduced wrinkles, skin tightening and pigmentary dyschromia.
Reason behind chemical peeling:
- Wound healing process is an important reason for rejuvenation. The phases of wound healing after chemical exfoliation are apparent:
- Inflammatory phase (1-5 days) – This phase is evident after peeling as erythma and swelling on the skin
- Proliferative phase (2-21 days) – In superficial peels, the basement membrane is intact, hence normal epidermis is restored in 2 to 3 days. In medium to deep peels, wound is below basement membrane and re-epithelialization takes time.
- Remodeling phase (3 weeks to 2 years) – collagen remodeling is the main reason that chemical peels cause rejuvenation and reduce wrinkles.
Indications for peels:
1. Pigmentary disorders
- Resistant melasma
- Pigmented cosmetic dermatitis
- Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- Comedonal acne
- Post acne scars
- Acne cosmetic
- Acne excoriee
- Fine wrinkling
- Skin glow and rejuvenation
- Oily to rough skin
- Actinic keratosis
- Keratosis pilaris
- Macular amyloidosis
- Dilated pores
- Seborrheic keratoses
- Active bacterial, viral and fungal infection and open wounds
- Oral isotretinoin use within the past three months
- Pregnancy and breast feeding
- History of keloid formation
- History of taking oral contraceptive and photosensitive drugs
- Unrealistic patient expectation
- Uncooperative patient, eg. Patient is careless about sun exposure or application of medicine
- For medium depth and deep peels, history of abnormal scarring, atrophic skin and isotretinoin use in the last six months.
How to choose a patient:
A patient should be chosen depending upon 4P’s:
P – Pathology
P – Point of depth required
P – Patients skin
P – Previous peeling agents
Many peels like mandelic acid, kojic acid, lactic acid, citric acid and many more have been introduced in the market which are also available in combination. These peels are not only more skin friendly but also more patient friendly. They have buffering agents like licorice extract and willow bark extract to minimize irritation to skin and antioxidants to infuse the skin with restorative nutrients. The change in the skin often occurs at cellular level and are not apparent to the naked hence making it more popular amongst busy patients who are seeking effective treatments quickly with little or no downtime.
Benefits of chemical peels:
The skin becomes noticeably smoother and rejuvenated.
- It reduces pigmentation, improves dull and uneven skin tone, reduces signs of photoagaeing, acne and enlarged pores.
- Removes dead and damaged skin cells and improves skin texture
- Helps in removal of tan
- Skin becomes brighter and more vivid because chemical peels not only cause re-epithelialization of the epidermis but also collagen remodeling.
Pre peel and post peel precautions:
- Patient has to be motivated enough to get multiple sittings of the peel ( 4-8, depending on the indication and type of peel) every 2-3 weekly to get the desired result.
- Patient should not wax, bleach, scrub, shave(the same day) or get any other aesthetic procedure like microdermabrasion, ipl, derma-roller one day before the chemical peel procedure. A gap of at least 7 days before and after the peel should be maintained.
- Patient should use a mild soap/ non soap cleanser after the peel
- Broad spectrum sunscreen and moisturizer should be used liberally, at least 2-3 times a day and sun exposure should be avoided.
- Patient should be strictly prohibited from scratching, picking or scrubbing the skin.
Take home message:
Chemical peeling is a simple office procedure for the treatment of acne, pigmentation, skin rejuvenation and photo ageing. These are not one time procedures but require 6-8 sessions and maintenance peels to achieve maximum improvement and prevent recurrences. The newer peels are safer and effective. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dermatologist.