Find numerous Dietitian/Nutritionists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Dehradun. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Pummy
Weight Loss Treatment
Customised Diet Chart
Treatment of Vitamin Deficiency
Treatment of Overeating Disorders
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Management of Obesity and related Disorders
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Bulimia Treatment & Management
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Treatment of Malnutrition
Treatment of Chronic Fatigue
Submit a review for Dr. PummyYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Someone from the office, referred us that Pummy Virmani. She definitely is aware about the latest and advanced ways to treat serious cases. The The Slim Habit is designed in such a manner that all requirements of patients are taken care of. During the complete polycystic ovary synDrome treatment program she always supported and motivated me. She is very professional and is a really patient listener. I was shocked to experience the symptoms of polycystic ovary synDromeI was in too much pain because of polycystic ovary synDrome, but even after consulting a number of doctors, I was not getting any relief.
Dr Pummy Virmani guidance has helped me immensely and has helped gain confidence. One of my colleague referred Dr Pummy Virmani. I was in too much pain because of fatigue, but even after consulting a number of doctors, I was not getting any relief. Everything was just spick and span in the The Slim Habit. She has in depth knowledge and ensures that she explains the problem in detail.I followed her prescription and I am completely cured from my fatigue issue.
I was shocked to experience the symptoms of swelling of stomach. I consulted a Dr Pummy who is a well known dietician. She helped me resolve the issue. I feel so great after the completion of treatment. She is a very practical doctor. I was quite impressed with her concept of holistic healing. Hygiene is very important, and I must The Slim Habit was extremely clean.
The Slim Habit had all the amenities, a patient requires. I am almost my normal self post the treatment and for that Pummy Virmani is the reason. The friendliness of staff is the best in the The Slim Habit. She is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. Pummy Virmani certainly knows the in and out of herspeciality. she dod the best diet planning for me.
I was amazed that other doctors before her were not able to even diagnose my problem as to why i wasnt able to lose weight, but Dr Virmani did it immediately and started the lose weight treatment for it. Everything was just spick and span in the The Slim Habit. She is not just friendly, but also is very motivating.
All of sudden I developed this stomach pain and didn't know what to do. Dr Pummy, she supported me a lot. Whatever tests she prescribed, were very correct and the gave they gave us an exact idea about my condition. I am happy that I chose to consult her. I folowe the diet given by her and I am absolutely fine now.
She ensures that she gives enough time to each patient. The overall cleanliness in the The Slim Habit was amazing. I am really grateful as her gain weight treatment has give me a ray of hope. I am so happy that I chose this Pummy Virmani for my treatment as now I am perfectly fine. i took a gain weight treatment
I was suffering from kidney stones. I am so happy with the results of my diet to prevent kidney stones, that I will surely recommend Pummy Virmani to anyone gladly. She is so pleasant to talk to and always ready to answer your doubts. Pummy Virmani certainly knows the in and out of her speciality.
I consulted a number of specialists but the way Dt.Pummy treated me was the best. She did my weight loss treatment. She is one of the best physicians in city. Even though my problem was very big, the entire experience of undergoing weight loss treatment was very relaxing.
Ms. Pummy Virmani provides answers that are very helpful. Thanks
Protein comes in ample amount from foods such as meat, eggs, legumes, dairy products, soy, and fish. It serves as the building blocks for the body's cells, muscles, skin, tissue, and organs.
Although, both chicken and egg are infused with high amounts of protein, they do vary on the grounds of the actual protein content per serving. So which is a better source of protein?
Nutritional facts of 100g chicken
Nutritional facts of 100g eggs
Both chicken and eggs are a low calorie and high protein option. However, chicken contains double the amount of protein than eggs per serving, emerging as a clear winner. Not only that, chicken also contains less cholesterol in comparison to eggs, making it a much healthier food choice.
1. Eggs contain riboflavin or Vitamin B2 in abundance, which helps in improving your metabolism
2. Egg whites are a rich source of Vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron, and copper, all of which are essential for the proper functioning of your body
Even though both chicken and eggs are almost equally healthy, the key to proper health is to eat all you want but in a moderate manner. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
Detoxification is a process which helps in cleansing toxins. The toxins which are ingested may give rise to health problems such as insomnia, body aches, fatigue, distraction, and depression. If the chemicals present in your system are unwanted and affecting your well-being then you can opt for cleansing the toxins from your body by following a detox diet. Here are 4 things you need to know before you embark on a detox diet:
1. Not all healthy foods help in detoxification - All foods that help in detoxification are healthy but the reverse is not true. You need to have sound knowledge about anabolic and catabolic food before you start the process of detoxification. Anabolic foods belong to the 'body builder' variant, rich in protein and fat. Chicken breasts, eggs, and fish though otherwise fine to eat should be avoided during detoxification. Catabolic foods help in breaking down toxins in your body. This includes vegetables, fruits, and other complex carbohydrates.
2. You may have a bit of sickening feeling initially - Some people experience sickness when they start a detox diet. Cravings for usual food, nausea and headache can distract you for a while. But if you aim to eliminate the toxic substances from your body you need to have patience. Getting an adequate amount of rest and drinking filtered water and plenty of herbal tea can help you reduce the symptoms experienced. Gradually you will feel stable and energized.
4. You will be back to putting on weight - A good and proper detox diet can eventually result in permanent weight loss and increased metabolism. However, if you start gulping down foods rich in protein and fat, you are bound to put on weight. This will not be a matter of concern if maintained up to a certain extent since the liver helps in opening up pathways to metabolize fat. But if you persistently splurge on cookies, pizza and beer then all the benefits of detoxification will get reversed. Consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Are you looking for an ideal snack, which is capable of providing you adequate energy? The major difference between a snack having staying power, and a snack which makes you hungry soon is the protein content. Protein is hunger busting in nature as it slows down your digestion and keeps your blood sugar levels steady. It also helps in keeping food cravings under check. Protein is important for losing weight as your satisfaction gets fulfilled. Once you are satisfied with your diet, you are less likely to shift to fatty foods.
Here is a list of some most common and beneficial protein snacks, which are widely taken all over the world.
- Single serve cottage cheese: One single serving container of cottage cheese contains over three grams more protein than any usual Greek yoghurt. Its calorie content is also less and you get 125 milligrams of calcium, which helps in body building.
- Hard boiled eggs: Eggs are considered to be an ideal snack or powerful breakfast food item, when taken in moderate amounts. It is a high source of protein and also contains high amounts of vitamin D and vitamin B 12, at 77 calories per egg. They are a handy snack to have while you are on the go and you should peel them before going out.
- Peanut butter pack: Peanut butter is high in protein and is considered to be an ideal, high filling snack. You should carry peanut butter squeeze packs when you travel. A single serving of peanut butter consists of around 190 calories. It is made up of palm fruit oil and peanuts, without any added sugar.
- Single serving oatmeal packets: One packet, or a cup of oatmeal contains around four grams of protein. A bowl of oatmeal, rich in protein and fiber consists of 150 to 200 calories. These single serving packs can be carried anywhere, and all you need is warm water to mix and eat it with.
- Edamame: Edamame, or soya beans present in their pods, is a rich protein snack. One pack of edamame contains 90 calories and three grams of fiber. This combination of protein and fiber is effective against hunger. Dry roasted edamame contains a lot of protein.
- Hummus cup: Hummus is made from olive oil, tahini, and pureed chickpeas. It is an ideal combination containing five grams of protein and four grams of fiber in one serving of a quarter cup.
You can also try rice cups, which is another source of high protein. Whole grains contain good amount of protein, and you can choose easy to eat rice cups, which need to be microwaved for one minute before being eaten.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Most people experience prominent side effects on their body and mind the morning following a night of heavy drinking. These after-effects of consuming excessive alcohol, popularly called a hangover, include rapid heartbeat, headache, anxiety, exhaustion, vomiting, dizziness, lack of energy, and body pain.
Drinking too much alcohol (5 to 7 drinks for men and 3 to 5 for women) not only causes a hangover but also can negatively impact your health by damaging your liver, central nervous system, brain and gastrointestinal system. It takes about 8 to 24 hours to cure a hangover completely, but you can try these natural remedies to get quick relief from the symptoms and reduce the recovery time.
1. Have a banana
A hangover is often associated with decreased potassium levels in your body and having a banana will help replenish it as it contains an adequate amount of the mineral.
Directions: you can either have one or two whole bananas or a banana smoothie with few drops of honey to get relieve from most hangover symptoms.
2. Try honey
Honey contains fructose, which helps to neutralize the negative impact of alcohol on your body. Moreover, honey provides relief from the hangover as it also helps digest the alcohol better.
Directions: take 3-4 teaspoons of honey after each hour (post-hangover) till you feel yourself getting better. You can increase the dosage according to the severity of your hangover.
3. Go for a glass of tomato juice
Tomato juice proves to be very effective in curbing the symptoms of a hangover as it compensates for the dehydration caused in your body due to excessive alcohol consumption. Also, due to its fructose content, tomato helps in metabolizing the alcohol present in your body.
Directions: drink a glass of fresh tomato juice or soup laden with 1 tablespoon each of honey and fresh lemon juice. You can have this juice in the morning once and repeat in the afternoon if needed.
4. Drink a lot of water
When it comes to beating a hangover, there is no substitute for water. Drinking water is not only a tried and tested remedy, but is also the most effective way to cure a hangover. This happens because water fights the dehydration of fluids in your body caused by drinking alcohol.
Directions: to keep the hangover at bay, drink one glass of water after each glass or shot of alcohol you consume. If you forget to do this, starting your day with a bottle of water the next morning will help reduce hangover symptoms drastically. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
The key to graceful ageing is a youthful skin, healthy heart and a fit body. No, these are not really three different things that need to be achieved. All of these are related and once you start following a healthy lifestyle, everything falls into a pattern and the body starts changing in an orderly manner. The organs start working perfectly, thereby improving metabolism, skin, energy etc. In this article, we will particularly focus on the nutrients that we should consume and the ones that we should avoid in order to defy ageing.
While we talk about proper nutrition for a perfectly healthy body and beautiful complexion, it is essential to know about the food that we need to eat and the ones we should avoid. In order to maintain a youthful body, both inside and outside, it is essential to curb food items containing insulin and leptin because these are major accelerants of the ageing process.
Here is a list of things that can easily be avoided to achieve a body and skin that would defy age.
- Any food containing sugar, especially fructose
- Any sort of grains
- Soda of any kind
- Drugs or alcohols
- Any kind of processed food
- Processed table salt
- Pasteurized dairy products
These are few such food products, which would be great if avoided. However, there are certain food items which should definitely be included in the diet for a youthful skin and healthy body.
- Let’s start with nuts. All sorts of nuts, especially almonds, contain lots of antioxidants and vitamin E in them. Vitamin E has shown to fight skin ageing immensely and also helps skin hold a lot of moisture. So including these into the diet can be a great step towards beautiful and glowing skin.
- Red and green vegetables are filled with vitamin A and help in increasing the vitamin A content in our bodies.
- Vitamin C helps in accelerating the process of collagen production in the body. Collagen is the protein which forms the basic skin structure. In case of a collagen breakdown, the skin starts breaking down too and tends to become saggy; this is exactly what happens in case of ageing. So, in order to reverse the process of ageing, we should have products that enhance in collagen formation.
- Also foods rich in Omega-3
There are many more, but consuming these foods can be a great start to a health improvement program.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Do you feel guilty about consuming too much chocolate lately? Well, don’t. Chocolate has various health benefits that even chocoholics are unaware of, which makes moderate amounts of chocolate a must add to your diet.
Here are a few reasons why you should be consuming more chocolate:
- High nutritional value: Switching to dark chocolates is a wise choice as they are packed with a number of nutrients, which makes it equivalent to any other healthy food nutritionists recommend. 100 grams of dark chocolate contains 11 grams of fibre and is packed with zinc, iron, phosphorous and potassium, which classifies it as a nutritious choice.
- Helps in promoting better sexual health: Chocolate is a popular aphrodisiac, which has been known to stimulate blood flow to the different parts of the body. Indulging in chocolate also helps you to get rid of apprehensions; which is why consuming chocolate acts as a sex stimulator.
- Helps in preventing diabetes and reduces cholesterol: It is ironic how the intake of dark chocolate in moderation prevents the onset of diabetes. The cocoa present in chocolate is proven to improve insulin sensitivity thereby delaying diabetes. The high content of flavonoids in chocolate also helps in reducing cholesterol which lowers hypertension and the risk of suffering from coronary diseases and ailments.
- Chocolate might prevent cancer: Cocoa present in chocolates contains ‘pentameric procyanidin’ which restricts the ability of cancerous cells to multiply and spread. When cancer patients were treated with pentameric procyanidin, it was observed that the required protein for multiplication of cancerous cells was restrained and their division was blocked.
The major health benefits of eating chocolate coupled with the relief a bar provides during PMS and pregnancy, advances the delicious food item to the category of healthy food. Hence, consumption of chocolate in moderate amounts daily is something you shouldn’t refrain from. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
Do you like to eat processed foods, and gorge on them a lot to stay away from cooking? It is important for you to know that processed foods are bad for your health and it is best that you avoid consuming them. Although all food items we eat are mechanically processed in certain ways, chemical processing, which is the primary feature of processed food items, is hazardous for your health.
Here are the major reasons why you should not eat processed food items.
- Processed food contains high amounts of sugar and fructose corn syrup: It is a known fact that excessive consumption of sugar in any form is not good for your health. Processed food products are loaded with sugar in huge amounts and also contain high fructose corn syrup, which is equally harmful in excess. Sugar basically has empty calories, which contain no important nutrients. Sugar also has dreadful effects on your body metabolism and may lead to high triglycerides, increased cholesterol levels, insulin resistance, and excess accumulation of fat in your abdominal cavity and liver.
- Processed food is hyper rewarding in nature and over consumption gets likely: Processed food items, because of their high content of sweet and fat, become a sort of addiction for many people. The reward centers of your brain acknowledge them, and as a result, you develop a constant craving for such food stuff.
- Processed food contains harmful artificial ingredients: It is likely for you to not understand the names of ingredients, which processed foods are made of. This is because of the reason that maximum of these ingredients are not actually natural, but are artificial chemicals which get added for several purposes such as preservation, maintaining aroma and much more. These chemicals are associated with several harmful effects on your health. The common ingredients of highly processed foods include the following:
- Chemical preservatives for preventing processed food from rotting
- Chemical colourants, which induce attractive and unique colours to processed foods
- Chemical flavors for giving specific flavours
- Texturants for proving a particular, specific texture to processed foods
The hyper rewarding nature of processed food can lead to severe consequences in many people. It is possible for you to become addicted to processed foods, and lose total control over your consumption rate. This problem of addiction to processed fast foods is a major problem in today’s world. It is an important reason for obesity, which is a prominent health concern today all over the world. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Are you aware of the function of appetite hormones in your body? Appetite hormones or hunger hormones are the hormones which are responsible for making you feel hungry, and also account for a decreased appetite, which is common for all of us at times.
Leptin and Ghrelin are the two primary appetite hormones, which are produced in your body.
Ghrelin is your body’s appetite increasing hormone, which gets released in the stomach. It is responsible for signaling hunger to your brain. It is said that the ghrelin levels in your body play an important role in how quickly you feel hungry after having a meal. Usually, the ghrelin levels increase before you eat. This signifies that you are hungry. They go down for almost three hours after your meal. It is believed that ghrelin plays a more important role in the regulation of your body weight, which is a much more complex procedure.
Among the two appetite hormones, leptin accounts for being the appetite suppressing hormone. It is considered to play a more important role than ghrelin in maintaining the energy balance of your body. It is also believed that leptin is responsible for the regulation of ghrelin. Leptin helps in signaling the brain that your body has enough energy in the form of body fat. It is considered that the more fat you have, the more amount of leptin is present in your blood. However, the level varies based on factors such as when you took your last meal, and your sleeping patterns.
How to control your hunger hormones?
There are certain ways by which you can control your appetite hormones. It can be done primarily by avoiding food items that contain high fat. When you eat, messages are transmitted to several parts of your body, indicating that you have had enough. While consuming fatty food, this system does not send messages as effectively. Consuming fat makes you consume more calories, which in turn lets you store fat and gain fat.
It has been proven that either a diet which is rich in good carbohydrates or a diet which is high in protein, suppresses your ghrelin production more effectively than a high fat diet. It is important for you to get proper sleep for controlling your appetite hormones. Studies prove that sleep deprivation is associated with an increase in your ghrelin levels, appetite, and hunger, compared to people who get 10 hours sleep on a regular basis. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
What happens in diabetes? Your body is unable to breakdown sugar due to either production of less insulin or because of insulin insensitivity. This leads to a surge of sugar in your blood. High sugar damages key organs like kidneys, heart and nerves inside your body. If left untreated, diabetes cuts down on life expectancy and takes life away from the years a diabetic is alive. Its treatment is managing the quantity of blood sugar through diet and lifestyle changes, including exercise.
Diabetes nutrition requires cutting down on foods that raise blood sugar or glucose. These are called high glycemic index foods. The glycemic index is the ability of food to raise blood sugar in the body. Usually, it is measured as a reference to glucose, as 100.
So, ‘bad’ carbs are the highly processed carbohydrates like polished rice, white flours and semolina or sooji with high glycemic index. And the ‘good or healthy’ carbs are those that contain more nutrients like minerals, vitamins and fibre and low glycemic index and include fruits, whole grains and vegetables.
Fat is also a problem for diabetics. But why?
Remember, traditionally doctors have focused primarily on blood glucose management, but diabetes management today has overshot the goalpost. More people with diabetes will die of heart disease than of diabetes. Hence, diabetes nutrition management today emphasises not just glycemic control, but also the management of blood pressure, lipids, and other risk factors that may jeopardise heart health. Hence, to optimise diabetic nutrition, apart from low carbohydrate, low fat, calorie restricted diets are also crucial. Low fat diet also aids in weight loss which helps people with type 2 or adult- onset diabetes control blood glucose better.
How can you make the best use of diabetic nutrition?
Diabetic diet can be optimised by taking these simple steps
- Eat three meals a day at regular times. This helps your body use insulin better.
- Start your day with a good breakfast.
- Eat exactly the same quantity of food every day. Avoid overindulgence one day and abstinence the next.
- Eat more fibre which means more legumes, lentils and peas as well as fruits like pears.
- Use more monosaturated fats that are present in nuts, olives and walnuts.
- Avoid red meats- they contain saturated fats.
- Stay away from baked foods and processed snacks as they contain trans-fats which are bad for the heart.
- Exercise is key to optimising your diabetes diet. It helps you manage both your weight and insulin sensitivity. Even five percent decrease in body weight helps.
These are just some of the ways diabetic nutrition can be optimised to attain multiple goals of attaining proper blood sugar, blood pressure, and lipid goals plus achieve body weight goals for preventing or delaying diabetes complications. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.