PG Diploma in Guidance and Counseling, Masters in Psychology, PG Diploma in Business Management, Bachelors Medical Biochemistry
Handling ADHD effectively
'Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder' is difficult to put up with and life-long oral medication is often deemed “necessary” for those diagnosed with ADHD. People with ADHD have differences in the parts of the brain that control attention and activity leading to complete inability to focus on certain subjects and tasks. ADHD can affect young children or teenagers and can carry on well into adulthood.
Some natural ways to help manage the condition are listed below –
1) Forget about Artificial Flavorings, Food Colorings and Preservatives – These often cause forgetfulness, stammering and difficulty in organizing things.
2) Avoid Foods that trigger off Allergy - The Mayo Clinic has conducted extensive research into how avoiding certain allergy causing foods helps improve behavioral issues in children diagnosed with ADHD.
Foods such as chocolate, eggs and those which contain salicylates such as grapes, tomatoes, prunes, peaches, berries, cider, chilli powder (yes, that yummy spicy chicken curry is not going to help!) and even apples can cause allergies which can trigger off certain key ADHD problematic traits such as sleep disorders, irritability over prolonged periods and inability to grasp simple everyday communication.
3) Try Massage, Yoga or Tai-Chi! - Deep tissue massage and hot stone therapy have been documented to induce a deeply relaxed state of mind in an individual wherein the brain actually regulates chemical reproduction. The deep breathing exercises along with the ‘balanced’ movements of the Ta-Chi help with neurological conditioning along with increased supply of oxygen to every part of the brain which again helps regulate brain activity.
Patients who undertook these activities cited feeling “less anxious” going about their daily routine and they noted “day dreaming much less” while staying connected to reality with more confidence and self-awareness.
4) Try some supplements - Certain Naturopaths believe that herbs like ginkgo, ginseng, and passionflower also help calm hyperactivity in both children as well as adults diagnosed with ADHD. In certain cases, supplements such as Zinc, L-carnitine, Vitamin B6 and Magnesium have known to help manage the condition. However, please note that using supplements without a doctor’s supervision can be dangerous — particularly in children. Please consult your doctor before trying any of the above mentioned alternative therapies.
5) Entertaining Right - Limit the amount of television you watch on a daily content. Avoid violent and overly dramatic content. Playing light instrumental music in the background throughout the day soothes the mind. One can even try playing the ancient ‘shlokas’ as well their favorite ‘mantras.’
6) Learn To Relax - Switch off the idiot box at least an hour before bedtime. Establish a slow luxurious bed time routine which could include relaxing rituals such as soaking one’s feet into warm water with some bath salts mixed with Epson salt.
Adopting a holistic lifestyle can go a long way in helping successfully combat the effects of ADHD.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over WhatsApp, Facebook and other media.