Doctors in Ramachandran's Diabetes Hospitals - Guindy
Treatment of Headaches
Prevention & Treatment of Diabetes
Treatment of Thyroid Disorders
Laser Hair Removal
Treatment of Forgetfulness
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment of Hypertension
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment of Heart Attack
Treatment of Underactive Thyroid
Treatment of Epilepsy
Treatment of Hormonal Imbalance
Mole Removal Procedure
Treatment of Syncope
Skin Care Treatment
Submit a review for Ramachandran's Diabetes Hospitals - GuindyYour feedback matters!
An unhealthy diet is an absolute no in daily life to remain healthy, fit and without any disease. Unhealthy diets fail to give the body the correct amounts and varieties of proteins and nutrients for a maximum proper health.
Too many intakes of calories lead to an unhealthy diet, which also increases blood pressure. It leads to a very poor calorie ratio-to-nutrient that leads to gain weight and also leads to malnutrition along with various health problems. Unhealthy diets cause chronic disease, hypertension, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease.
Therefore, unhealthy eating habits should be avoided and strongly abandoned.
Why Avoid Unhealthy Diet?
- It causes obesity. Increased intake of nutrient-dense foods like fruits, sugar, processed carbohydrates and animal fat leads to obesity.
- Nutrient deficiency is another harmful effect of following an unhealthy diet.
- Illness is another factor. Poor intake of nutrition leads to diseases like heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Lack of calcium weakens the bones, lack of vitamin A and C suppress the body immune system leaving a person vulnerable to diseases.
- Increases the risk of coronary artery disease as unhealthy diet contributes to building up of plaque in the coronary arteries which can cause heart attacks.
Coronary Heart Disease - A Serious Issue!
It is a disease which leads to plaque building inside the coronary arteries, which supply rich oxygen blood to the human heart muscle. Over time the plaques either hardened or get ruptured and hardened plaque restricts the coronary arteries, which reduce the oxygen flow to the heart. On the other hand, if the plaque is ruptured blood is formed on its surface which also narrows the coronary artery and restricts the blood flow. And if the blood flow is blocked or reduced, then it might lead to Angina and heart attacks leading to loss of life. Angina causes chest pain it can also cause pain in the neck, back or arms. It is a state where one gets a feeling of indigestion.
Changes in lifestyle, eating habits, intake of medicines and its procedures helps to prevent this disease. These steps can also reduce the chances of health problems. Therefore, a proper healthy diet is a must in a person’s routine because it serves as one of the links to coronary heart diseases. In order to live long, live healthily and live happily one needs to adopt a good eating habit, take care of the medicines they intake, certain input time of exercise, change the monotonous lifestyle to lessen down the chances of their occurrence. Adopting healthy food habits also enables the body to fight against diseases and infections, reducing the rate of illness. It also reduces stress and provides a good healthy and happy life.
Laser hair removal refers to a process in which special laser light is shone upon hair follicles. Pigments in the hair follicles soak up the light and this stops the hair from growing. There are several advantages as well and risks associated with laser hair removal treatment. Here is everything you need to know about laser hair removal.
Pregnancy brings with it the need to be extra careful about the overall well-being of the mother-to-be. Extreme caution has to be taken in managing health, as antibiotics and a lot of other treatment modalities are best avoided during pregnancy. With diabetes becoming common in the younger ages and women choosing to delay pregnancy, there are multiple women who are diabetic and choose to get pregnant later in life.
With diabetes being a chronic and a lifestyle condition, it definitely has its effects on pregnancy. However, the key is to manage diabetes cautiously in such a way that its effects on pregnancy, both the mother and the developing baby, are minimal. The increased blood sugar levels from the mother pass on to the baby, so keeping a close watch on the blood sugar levels is very important.
- The maximum effect of diabetes on the baby is during the first few weeks of pregnancy. It is when the vital organs (brain, heart, lungs and kidneys) are forming, and high blood sugar levels can be harmful. This is slightly tricky as most women realise they could be pregnant only after about 6 weeks. If pregnancy is planned, it is best advisable to keep a check on sugar levels much ahead of the pregnancy.
- The baby could be used to high levels of sugar while in the womb, and once delivered, it could have too low sugar levels. This needs to be monitored.
- Preeclampsia, which is increased protein in the urine and high blood pressure, can happen during the second trimester. This may require the baby to be delivered prematurely.
- Babies born to diabetic mothers are often bigger. The baby’s pancreas is used to higher sugar levels and so the extra sugar gets converted to fat, which is the reason for the bigger babies. This may also necessitate C-sections.
- Pregnancy can induce the development of diabetic retinopathy, which may prevent vaginal delivery, as the woman may not be able to exert the required pressure.
- Abnormal calcium and magnesium levels, which need to be monitored for a while after birth
- Most diabetic women reach full term if the sugar levels have been under good control.
Diabetic pregnant women are high at risk. However, with advanced medical care, these risks and complications are managed very well producing healthy babies from normal deliveries with effectively no harm to the mother’s health.
Once a diabetic woman tests positive, it is advisable to seek medical help to plan diet/meal plan, physical activities, exercise regimen, lifestyle changes, and medication dose adjustments. This is not a one-time activity, but needs to be closely monitored with daily blood sugar levels throughout the pregnancy.
While we cannot reverse the aging process, we can slow it down and control the visible signs of aging. Botox is one such therapy that can keep us looking younger. It's mainly used for the facial lines and wrinkles that age, stress, worry, and environmental factors may produce, even on a younger person’s face. Botox is a drug made from the bacterium called Clostridium botulinum. While Botox is one of the most common cosmetic surgery procedure. This unique treatment is also used along with facial plastic surgery procedures such as a facelift or eyelid lift to maximize its cosmetic benefit. Botox treatments can lift the brow making which will make your face look less tired, giving you a more youthful appearance.
It can also be used to treat misaligned eyes, severe sweating of the underarm region, cervical dystonia, migraines and uncontrollable blinking. It can also be used to treat an overactive bladder. In terms of cosmetic enhancements, Botox can reduce fine lines and wrinkles, prevent new wrinkles from developing. Botox is commonly injected into the forehead, glabella or space between eyebrows, outer corners of the eyes, chin and neck.
Botox is used only in small concentrated dosage under the guidance of a doctor, as it can have severe side effects, if used incorrectly. The Botox procedure is as simple as getting an injection. It is administered by injecting a readymade Botox solution into the muscles. This paralyses the muscles by blocking nerve signals to the area and preventing the release of acetylcholine, which is responsible for the contraction of muscles. Usually the results of a Botox injection can be seen within 24-72 hours. In rare cases, it may take upto 5 days for the results to become visible.
Botox is performed as an outpatient procedure and is considered a safe cosmetic procedure. Pregnant women are advised not to undergo Botox treatment until they stop breastfeeding the baby after delivary. However, as with any other procedures, it does have a few risks associated with it. These include:
Slight pain at the injection site
- Temporary weakening of the eye and neck muscles
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Rashes and inflammation
The effects of Botox may be influenced by other medications that you are taking and hence before undergoing the procedure, ensure your doctor knows what medication you are on. Avoid alcohol and strenuous activities for a few days after the injection.
The results of a Botox injection are not permanent and hence they may need to be repeated. Doctors advise maintaining an interval of at least 3 months between Botox injections. However, every time a Botox injection is repeated, the time taken for the lines and wrinkles to reappear reduces. In some cases, the body may also develop antibodies to the Botox injection.
Acanthosis nigricans is a pigmentation disorder, which leads to velvety, black patch formations on the skin. In some cases, the patch of skin may also give off a foul odour while itching is also a normal symptom of the condition. It can appear at several spots of the body, including the knees, elbows, palms, knuckles and neck. Here is a look at the diagnostic procedure for the condition as well as the treatment prescribed to patients.
Diagnosis of Acanthosis Nigricans
Acanthosis nigricans is more common in males than it is in females. Additionally, being overweight, having darker skin or diabetes are some of the risk factors. Here is how the disease is diagnosed-
- Diagnosis of the condition is easy since examination with the naked eyes reveals the patchy black areas of skin on the patient.
- Doctors will perform tests to understand what is causing the condition. There can be two primary causes, namely, insulin resistance or diabetes. Usually, a test to measure the blood glucose levels in the blood is conducted.
- Doctors will also check if any medication is acting as a contributing factor for causing the problem.
- The doctor may also order a biopsy test if he/she feels that the issue is being caused by something other than Acanthosis nigricans. However, such a test is rarely performed during the diagnosis of the skin condition.
Treatment for Acanthosis nigricans
Acanthosis nigricans is not a disease by itself but a symptom caused by an underlying condition affecting the patient. This is why treatment of the skin condition involves dealing with the underlying ailment.
- If your excess body weight is causing the appearance of the black patches on the skin, doctors will advise you to lose weight and get back in shape.
- The help of certain medications may also be taken in such a case to keep the blood glucose levels under check.
- Cosmetic treatments such as chemical peels, Laser, etc are used to treat the condition.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the only long-term solution for the disorder. If you suffer from the same, make sure that you eat healthily and exercise regularly, if you want to stay free from the symptoms of the condition.
Rosacea is a medical condition of the skin that affects people across the globe. The exact cause of rosacea is unknown to scientists and there is still no permanent solution to this. However, heredity is believed to be one of the causes of rosacea. They are small and red in appearance, often filled with pus. They are fairly visible on forehead, nose, and cheeks. They occur in cycles, and temporarily go away only to come back within a short interval of time.
There are four kinds of rosacea, namely erythematotelangiectatic, papulopustular, rhinophyma and ocular. Every rosacea type has its own set of symptoms. Rosacea can get worse if there is a tendency of eating spicy food and alcohol consumption. Ayurveda is known to be a great treatment option for treating rosacea. Here is a set of Ayurvedic treatment options that could fetch great results:
- Turmeric: Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant powerhouse. It can treat a range of skin diseases, such as skin aging, hyperpigmentation and scarring. Not to mention it is one of the finest elements to treat rosacea. Experts of Ayurveda suggest consuming one spoon of turmeric on a daily basis to avoid skin inflammation and other skin problems. It can be taken in the form of juice, with food, and capsule.
- Carrots and beets: Carrots and beets are one of the best forms of iron. The latter is required for the normal functioning of the skin. Deficiency of it can cause the skin to be dry and sallow. Beets and carrots have the ability to control rosacea. They can be consumed daily with food or in the form of juice.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is more commonly known as east Indian ginseng. They are one of the most powerful herbs to treat rosacea. Being anti-inflammatory in nature, it strengthens the skin from within and helps in getting rid of rosacea puss. Ashwagandha can be applied in the form of an extract every alternate day to fetch great results.
- Honey: Honey is a natural cleanser and antioxidant. They directly attack the rosacea causing virus and do not let them spread. Honey can also bring down the reddish patches that are so common of rosacea. Honey should be applied on the face before taking a bath or sleeping, and washed away with warm water after 1 to 2 hours.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek is an ancient medicinal plant that is rich in vitamin C, folic acid, vitamin A, vitamin K, iron, potassium, and calcium. They help the skin to glow and remove the reddish patches on the face. Its anti-inflammatory nature does not allow the pus to form. It is also considered to be an anti-itching agent. It can be consumed daily in meals.