Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Vinayak Vijayakumar
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Vinayak VijayakumarYour feedback matters!
Dear Sir/Mam My mind disturb every time when I read book and learn any paragraph so not remember me and every time I am in tension so please solved my problem.
When I give presentation, interviews I start stammering, and when I talk to my friends I used to talk normally why it happening, there is any medicine to stop stammering. Please suggest me. Its very painful full.
I feel depressed while I think about my future or any other tension that's my problem pls tell me what should I do.
Sir, I am suffering from stammering since childhood age. Presently I am 27 years old and even suffering from severe stammering, due to which I am unable to find out suitable job for me. And In daily life stammering bothering me. I am in too much tension and need your help. Waiting for your reply hopefully.
I am 21 years old male and my mental state is not healthy. I m getting over tensioned for very simple reasons, please help me in getting out of this. Suggest me some good medicines. Lost my sleep too.
Dear Dr. I am 31 years old married woman got a son & he is 4 years now, Often am worried n my mind is keep on thinking if anything happen to my kid or husband and if I lose them it really puts me down I dunno how to get rid of these thoughts. Sometimes my eyes just flows and am unable to control my self. A year before one of our friend's son died by a snake bite this incident made me so weak after that only am getting these thats Pls help me Dr. sometimes am sleepless these that takes away my peace of mind.
Hi, I am 31 years old and have headache, tension, depression. I always this about my old memories. What should I do? Kindly give me some solutions.
Hi! I have fasting of 270-300 .139 kg, 5-8" thyroid .cannot avoid tension at home as well as office too, always live in depression, uncontrolled situations. Age 50 now. Please suggest.
In the modern day lifestyle, it is extremely difficult to be stress free. Even a tiny situation like losing your pen to a something like meeting a deadline at work can cause stress. Stress acts like a catalyst to different diseases like high cholesterol, hypertension, cardiac diseases, etc. You cannot avoid stress, but what you can do is help yourself fight it; and you can actually fight stress with the help of food as well. Here are a few food items which will help you with your fight against stress:
- Chocolate: Chocolate is one of the best stress busters. It contains magnesium, phenyl ethyl amine and carbohydrates, all of which help lift your spirits. Chocolate helps in the reduction of stress hormones, helping you to relax.
- Coffee: Coffee helps your brain signal the production of BDNF (a brain derived protein), which helps to keep your brain cells healthy. A low level of BDNF can cause a lot of stress and depression. Coffee triggers many neurotransmitters, which control your mood changes; so may be a cup or two of coffee will help your to be chirpier.
- Green leafy vegetables: All green leafy vegetables like spinach contain a high quantity of magnesium. Magnesium prevents headaches and fatigue, which in turn reduces stress.
- Black Tea: Black tea can relieve you of stress, quicker than any other food item. Black tea reduces the amount of cortisol, a hormone which causes stress, and gives you a feeling of calmness.
- Milk: Milk contains calcium, which is known to ease anxiety and control sudden mood swings related to PMS or post menstrual stress.
- Bananas: Bananas have a huge content of dopamine, which is a natural chemical that works towards boosting your mood. This is the same chemical released in your body after a session of working out. Bananas also have a lot of potassium and B group vitamins which work towards soothing your nervous system and a lot of magnesium which brings in positivity to your mood.
- Almonds: Almonds are rich in vitamin E and group B vitamins, which will help you to be more resilient when you are depressed or anxious.
So if you are stressed out, pop in a few almonds or have a cup of tea, and release your stress.
Although there is no single reason why someone may have suicidal tendencies, certain things can increase the risk. An individual is more likely to have suicidal thoughts if he has a mental health condition like depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. The vulnerability also increases in cases of alcoholism, drug abuse or poor job security. It may not be possible to prevent suicidal thoughts, but keeping one's mind healthy with regular exercise, healthy eating and maintaining friendships can help one deal better with stress.
It can be very upsetting, when someone says things which sound as if the person is considering suicide. One may not be sure what to do to help, as to whether one should take talk of suicide seriously or if intervention might make the situation worse. Taking action is always the best choice. One of the best things one can do if someone is feeling suicidal is to encourage them to talk about their feelings and to listen to what they say. One can provide the best help by listening and not being judgemental. If the person has been diagnosed with a mental health condition like depression, one can take advice from his care team.
One should avoid offering solutions. While listening, do not give in to the temptation of providing a solution. One should ask open ended questions so that the person remains in control and expresses his feelings. On the contrary, it will offer an opportunity to talk about feelings, which may reduce the risk of acting on suicidal feelings. Ensure that the person is not left on his own, if there is immediate danger. One cannot always tell when a loved one or friend is considering suicide, so one must be on the lookout for warning signs. The warning signs could be talking about suicide, buying or stocking pills, withdrawing from social life, increase in alcohol or drugs, personality changes like severely agitated and saying goodbye to people as if seeing them for the last time. It is also important that one does not make judgements about how a person is thinking or behaving.
After listening to their feelings, one may feel that certain aspects of their thinking and behaviour are making their problems worse. But pointing this out will not be particularly helpful to them. Reassurance, respect and support will only help someone during these difficult periods. As a final note, one must realise that talking to someone about their feelings is not long lasting and can help them feel safe and secure temporarily. A professional help can provide the long-term support to help someone overcome their suicidal tendencies. That will the person to deal with the primary issues behind someone's suicidal thoughts, besides offering advice and support. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.
Hi I am 21 years old I have suffering from depression for 1year I have been taking tablets zosert 50 mg for 1 year now my head is paining too much feeling as my nerves are passing current I feel shaky every time low mood. Sleepy. Should I stop taken tablets? Please tell me more about these problems thank you.
Mai bahut jyada kalpnaye karta hu. Dimag hamesha planning Karta rahta h. Hamesha restless feel Karta hu. Jaldi hopeless ho jata hu. Future ko lekar upset rahta hu. Bhukh khulkar nahi lagti. Sex life enjoy nahi Kar pata. Sex time 1 mint se bhi kum h. Wife se talmel nahi baith pata. Kabhi kabhi apne aap achcha lagne lagta h fir koi negative vichar aa jata h aur mood kharab ho jata h. Jab apne aapko shishe me dekhta hu to kabhi kabhi man me sawal aata h ki mai koun hu. Life bahut uljhi hui lagti h.
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is talking therapies that can help you manage your problems by changing the way you think and behave. It is most commonly used to treat anxiety and depression, but can be useful for other mental and physical health problems.
CBT cannot remove your problems but it can help you deal with them in a more positive way. It is based on the concept that your thoughts, feelings, physical sensations and actions are interconnected and that negative thoughts and feelings can trap you in a vicious cycle. CBT aims to help you crack this cycle by breaking down overwhelming problems into smaller parts and showing you how to change these negative patterns to improve the way you feel.
Unlike some other talking treatments, CBT deals with your current problems, rather than focusing on issues from your past. It looks for practical ways to improve your state of mind on a daily basis. CBT has been shown to be an effective way of treating a number of different mental health conditions. In addition to depression or anxiety disorders, CBT can also help people with obsessive disorder, postphobias,eating disorderssuch as anorexiaand bulimia, sleep problems such as insomnia, problems related to alcohol abuse,irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
CBT can help you to change how you think (cognitive) and what you do (behaviour). These changes can help you to feel better and breathe better. Once you are de-stressed, there is less cognitive load and your breathing centre in brain is relaxed and less stimulated. It looks for ways to improve your state of mind now.
A situation ? a problem, event or difficult situation.
From this can follow thoughts, emotions, physical feelings and actions. Each of these areas can affect the others.
How you think about a problem can affect how you feel physically and emotionally. All these areas of life can connect like this: fiveareas.
What happens in one of these areas can affect all the others. There are helpful and unhelpful ways of reacting to most situations, depending on how you think about it. The way you think can be helpful or unhelpful.
The Situation: You have had a bad day. You are fed up? Go out shopping. As you walk down the road, someone you know walks by and, apparently, ignores you.
This starts a cascade of thoughts, emotions and action which can range from concern for the other person to actually getting in touch with the other person to find if all is well with him.
The negative way of dealing with it involves being down on yourself imagining the person does not like you, complaining of cramps or illness and finally going home to avoid the person.
The same situation has led to two very different results; depending on how you thought about the situation. How you think has affected how you felt and what you did.
So, in case you thought negatively, you have to change your thoughts and actions, pinpoint the problem, address it and find goals.
Then move towards achieving them. Evidence shows CBT works.
Please help me how to come out from negativity mind and while speaking to others I am getting fear and tensed for little things I ll become full emotional this thing irritates me please help me out.
How to confidently drive my car. I got my licence but my parents try to bring me down by demoralizing me. They tell me to drive the car but also say that I would end up in some problem if I don't drive with my dad. My dad keeps panicking me on road for no use. Me and my friend got license together. He is now able to drive about 2000 km whereas I never crossed 20 km. The problem is my mom makes me think low about myself and have self doubt. I was a good driver but after I took my parents car im all the way getting nervous to drive the car. Please help me how to gain back my self confidence. Please.
Hi, I'm a 64 years old male feel losing balance while bent downwards or sideways and on lying down. Kindly advise.
My wife 42 yrs, lost her baby before 15 days & now when she is alone she feels as if the dead body of baby is kept on bed & wants some one to stay with her always.Please suggest
Are you suffering from seasonal depression triggered by the change in season? This condition is known as seasonal affective disorder or SAD and primarily occurs during the winter. It usually starts when the days start getting colder and shorter. SAD requires treatment as it limits an affected person’s ability to smoothly carry out his or her everyday activities. Here are the several methods by which SAD can be treated or dealt with:
- Light therapy boxes: Light therapy boxes emit light which mimics sunshine in a particular way. This helps in recovery from SAD. The light from these therapy boxes are brighter than normal light bulbs and are of various wavelengths. The patient is required to sit in front of a light box for a period of 30 minutes every day. As a result, the circadian rhythms of the body get stimulated and the natural release of melatonin is suppressed. Light therapy is very effective when undertaken in the morning after waking up. It is a very common treatment used to cure SAD.
- Dawn simulators: Dawn simulators help in the management of SAD. These are devices which work as alarm clocks. However, instead of waking you up abruptly by means of a beep or loud music, they produce light which increases in intensity gradually, just like the sun. There are several models of dawn simulators which are available in the market. You should choose a dawn simulator, which uses a full spectrum light. This form depicts natural sunlight. For people with mild SAD, dawn simulators are as effective as light therapy.
- Consult a doctor: SAD is a type of depression and it is recommended that you to consult a psychiatrist. Several screening questions are asked to a patient to determine his/her level of depression. A doctor will also observe whether your depression is because of SAD or any other factor.
- Antidepressants: In case, psychotherapy or light therapy fails to cure your SAD and the accompanied depression, you should take prescribed antidepressants. These medicines might help in overcoming your seasonal depression. Try to avoid medicines which make you feel sleepy. If you have SAD, you should take antidepressants every winter and not just during the winters when you feel the blues.
It is very important for you to recognise the symptoms of SAD when they start showing, and consult a doctor immediately. This will prevent the symptoms from escalating and you will be able to get early treatment.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!