Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Vijayalakshmi.P.RYour feedback matters!
One of the emerging psychiatric disorder that has significant medical and psychiatric consequences is compulsive sexual behaviour or hypersexuality, is an obsession with sexual thoughts in which people cannot manage their sexual behaviour. It may involve a commonly enjoyable sexual experience as self-stimulation which becomes an obsession. The person suffering from the condition may also get involved in sexual behaviours that are outside the bounds of commonly accepted conduct like paying for sex or having extramarital affairs.
Untreated compulsive sexual behaviour damages one’s self-esteem, health, job, relationships and career. However, with treatment and self-help, one can manage compulsive sexual behaviour and learn to manage one’s urge. Males are more likely to be unfaithful than females because they have stronger sexual impulses and weaker self-control. Compulsive sexual behaviour symptoms vary in type and severity. During intense sexual impulses, one feels as if they're beyond control. This is the first and the most common symptom as the patient uses compulsive sexual behaviour as an escape route for problems like loneliness, depression, anxiety and stress. One has trouble establishing and maintaining emotional closeness, even if one is married or in a committed relationship.
The treatment for compulsive sexual behaviour involves psychotherapy and medications. A primary goal of treatment is to help one manage urges and reduce excessive behaviours while maintaining healthy sexual activities. If one has compulsive sexual behaviour, one may need treatment for mental health condition. People with compulsive sexual behaviour often have alcohol or drug abuse problems or a mood disorder such as depression.
Counselling sessions can help one learn how to manage one’s compulsive sexual behaviour. Intensive treatment programs for compulsive sexual behaviours focus on identification of core triggers and beliefs about sexual addiction. It assists in development of healthier choices and coping skills to minimize urges and deal with the preoccupation of sexual addiction. Psychodynamic psychotherapy can prove to be very useful as it focuses on increasing one’s awareness of unconscious thoughts and behaviours, and developing new insights into their motivations. Resolving conflicts using this therapy is also recommended. The other kind of treatment program is cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy helps one to identify unhealthy, negative beliefs and behaviours and replace them with healthy, positive ones. Family therapy and couples therapy may restore trust, minimize shame and guilt thus establishing a healthy sexual relationship between partners.
Medications include anti-depressants like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, mood stabilizers and anti-androgens have also been used to treat compulsive sexual behaviour. Anti-androgens are prescribed as it reduces the biological effects of sex hormones in men thus reducing sexual urges. Luteinizing hormone is also prescribed as it reduces obsessive sexual thoughts by reducing the production of testosterone. Anti-seizure medications, naltrexone, and medications which decrease male hormones have been found to decrease the compulsive urges and impulses associated with sexual addictions for some sufferers. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychiatrist.
In my right breast since morning not a pain that is some like (jum, jum) not continuously 10 seconds are 20 seconds what to do this problem I am scary pls help me.
I am having irregular periods and have been detected BY PSO. I have been under homeopathic treatment for sometime. But once the medication is stopped I am again missing my periods. I am 20 years old. Could you suggest me some remedy?
1. First, don’t isolate yourself – When you’re feeling lonely it is hard to go out and be with others who seem to be OK, and don’t really notice how lonely you feel. But putting up a wall and withdrawing from your friends will only intensify that sense of loneliness, and will further undermine your self-esteem.
2. Second, keep yourself busy – Do things that you normally enjoy with others. For example, listening to a band or maybe going to watch a game … or you could always try something that’s new, but interests you! That would allow you to connect in a non-threatening way … as it takes the focus off talking, and off you.
3. Third, be kind to yourself - It’s likely that you regularly beat yourself up, criticise yourself and are unrealistic in the kinds of expectations that you have for yourself. So what, if it goes wrong? You can always try again – just learn what you can from the experience. And notice your successes and the times when it goes well. It’s likely that this happens a lot more than you think!
4. Fourth, recognise that we ALL battle loneliness at times - You’re not some kind of freak – it’s actually quite normal. It something we’ve all known and understand.
5. Fifth, talk to someone you like and trust – It can really help to talk about your feelings with a family member, a friend or counsellor. It relieves some of the painful sense of isolation – and help to get your life back in perspective again.
Is there any tablet named saffron to postpone periods? If there tell if there will be any side effects.
I am married for over 2.5 years now. Trying for a baby but couldn't succeed. More importantly I am losing interest in sex. Please advise.
Hello Doctor, We are trying for baby past 3 months at the time of ovulation but no positive result, because of this my periods come before date with heavy pain, please suggest me, I am 28 year old and my husband is 29, year, my office schedule is also very hectic, daily travelling need,
I am having period irregular due to thyroid. Having tablet for thyroid prescribed by doctor. Any option that make my period regular.
Had not intercourse but his penis was inside vagina for not more than a minute, and when he removed he saw a drop of precum over his penis, I washed my vagina and in 20 hours I took ipill too. I also experienced radish pale urine 2-3 times, and a little blood piece once in the urine. My periods were about to come on 27 july but have not come yet. I am worried if I am pregnant.
Hai. Am 23 years old. Am having pcod. Through treatment we r planning. My LMP is 27/8/16. Today taken beta hcg. Value is 13. Am pregnant or not. Whether I need to wait or not. Chances are there or not. Pls help me.
I had my delivery on 02.12.2016. But my periods stops since then and four & a half months has been passed. I want to know is it normal after delivery or something problematic situation?
I am 19 years old. My menses started at the age of 10 and half. Earlier it was regular. But from 2 years it is irregular. I have consulted allopathy doctor. She gave me contraceptive pills. That I have taken for seven months. She diagnose pcod. But the above pills have side effect. So I switched to homeopathy. But it is not regular. How much time I have to wait. And is there any particular cause for pcod. Pls guide me.
I am a female and I had some sort of spotting from 11 nov I had my previous period on 14th but I am just getting spots from last 7 days n my menstrual fluid is just that spotting .I am not having any flow .I just did skipping like I used to do on 11th nov so I thut maybe it was because of that but its not the case as from 7 days there is no flow? What can be reason for it? I just started taking lipton green tea a month ago .any possible reasons n I am at home from 4 months not so much physical activity or anything .I have become a phone freak :/ is it because of my lifestyle .Do I need to consult a doctor now or wll wait for my next cycle next month .Please suggest something because I am very much worried as the spot are there even today after 7 days .What shud I do?
I delivered a baby 3 months ago. It was a normal vaginal delivery. I want to loose mybelly fat please help. I hvae not done any exercise so far canu help me reduce my belly fat. N reduce my weight. I'm currently breast feeding Need your help please.
Obesity is a disorder that leads to fat accumulation in the body. It is chronic in nature and may cause serious complications in the body. It increases the risk of various diseases in the body like diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. The fat tissues in the body needs nutrients and oxygen for nourishment, thus the blood vessels in the body direct blood to these tissues.
This ups the workload of the heart as it has to pump more blood, which results in excessive pressure on the walls of the artery. When the pressure on the arteries increase, it is known as high blood pressure. Being obese also hampers the ability of the body to transport blood throughout your body and so weight loss is compulsorily advised.
The causes of obesity are:
- Genetics: You are likely to be affected by obesity if your family members are obese. Your genes also play a role in regulating your hormones that deal with fat in the body. It may cause a hormone called leptin that regulates your appetite to be less in the body, which in turn triggers obesity.
- Diet: If your diet is high in simple carbohydrates like refined products and sugar-based foods then it increases the risk of obesity. Foods those are rich in simple carbohydrates cause high insulin production in the body which promotes accumulation of fat.
- Being inactive: You are likely to be overweight if you follow a sedentary lifestyle. This happens if you have a desk job or if you are lazy.
- Psychological issues: Certain psychological problems such as stress and emotional problems may cause you to binge eat which leads to weight gain.
- Disorders: Certain disorders like polycystic ovary syndrome (presence of cysts on the ovaries) and hypothyroidism (reduced production of the thyroid hormone).
Since obesity can significantly affect your blood pressure, you need to take steps to mitigate the damage. Apart from making various changes to your lifestyle, you can opt for various surgical procedures like ultrasonic liposuction (where sound waves are used to get rid of fat) and mesotherapy (where various medicines are injected in the adipose tissues). These are safe and non-invasive treatments that are very effective in promoting fat loss. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.