Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ayurvedas in India. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Vijayakumari
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Submit a review for Dr. VijayakumariYour feedback matters!
Hi, I am Aparna, 30. My problem is that I have irregular periods and it lasts only for 1-2 days. I have also headache regularly and body pain generally in legs.
I eat normally then too I am not gaining weight I am thin whereas other ppl gain weight fast .Why I can't? What's the problem? What's the remedy ?(
Antioxidants: What are they?
Antioxidants are free radical scavengers known to enhance our immunity. We know that fruits and vegetables with vibrant colors are great sources of antioxidants. Many times we wish that foods that taste delicious were as healthy as these fruits and veggies. Here is something to cheer you up. The foods listed below are not only tasty but also rich in antioxidants.
Antioxidants and their sources:
- Eggs: Egg yolk contains an antioxidants called “lutein”. Lutein is known to prevent muscular degeneration and cataracts. Though the lutein content in yolk is lesser than the lutein content of the green leafy veggies, but according to some studies the lutein from yolk is more effectively absorbed due to the fat content of the yolk.
- Tinned beans: Tinned beans contains phytochemicals. Phytochemicals repair damaged dna and also neutralize free radicals. Small red beans, dark kidney beans and black beans are rich in antioxidants. You can now enjoy your baked beans with a touch of health.
- Whole grain pasta/noodles: These whole grain dishes contain polyphenols. Polyphenols are strong anti-cancerous elements. Whole grain pasta and noodles contain 3 to 4 times more antioxidants than the regular ones. In combination to antioxidants these foods also contain good amount of fiber that help in regulating cholesterol levels.
- Yogurt: There is an additional health benefit to this yummy delight. Although it does not directly contain any antioxidants, it does contain riboflavin which enhances or promotes the activity of antioxidants glutathione. Riboflavin being a water soluble vitamin b, it easily flushes out of the body. You need to consume yogurt on a daily basis to be benefited.
- Organic milk: Organic milk is the milk obtained from cows that feed on organic food. The antioxidant value of this milk is 40 to 50 times greater than the cows raised in a conventional manner. Antioxidants like vitamin e, lutein and beta carotene are present in it. Organic cheese and butter are other options you may choose.
- Popcorn: Popcorn is not only a fast and favorite snack, but it also is good in its fiber and antioxidant content. A study carried out by the university of scranton revealed that the whole grain snack foods such as popcorn have surprisingly high levels of polyphenols which have anti-cancerous properties.
- Natural sweeteners: Natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar contain good amount of anti oxidants. Darker the color of honey, greater is its antioxidant content. The non-commercial varieties of honey contain poly phenol. Adding these natural sweeteners in your dessert instead of table sugar does have some added benefit.
- Canola oil: Canola oil contains alpha-tocopherol. Alpha-tocopherol prevents the oxidation of bad cholesterol (ldl), preventing the release of free radicals. No wonder canola oil is considered to be heart-healthy oil.
I am 32 years old, suffering from acne from age 13. Acne recurs leaving black marks mainly on cheeks and chin. I have oily skin. Have tried applying clindamycin, adapelene and benzoyl peroxide ointments but problem persists.
Did you know barley water is good for kidney stones?
Barley (jau), a member of grass family, is a cereal that has been cultivated for over 13, 000 years. Packed with carbohydrates (78%), fat (1%), protein (10%) and water (10%), barley is a rich source of essential nutrients, dietary fiber, vitamins such as niacin, manganese, phosphorus and vitamin B6.
With several health benefits to its name, barley water is termed as the elixir to good health. It has been found to be beneficial in reducing chances of heart disease, soothing bowels, reducing blood cholesterol levels, improving blood sugar regulation in the body and acts as nutritive broth for fever, cold and cough. Additionally, studies support that barley water has also been found to play an integral role in maintaining renal health.
What is a renal stone?
A renal stone is a solid stony piece consisting of crystal forming substances in the urinary tract. They are usually formed when the urine is abundant in substances such as calcium, oxalate and uric acid and lack substances that inhibit their accumulation. While small kidney stones can pass through the urinary system without any symptoms, a stone larger than 5 mm can result in blockages in the urinary tract causing severe pain in the back and lower abdomen.
What causes renal stones?
- A family history for stones, lack of adequate water in the body, high BMI, excessive intake of diets rich in protein, sodium and sugar have been found to be some of the common causes for stone formation.
How does barley water aid the dissolution of renal stones?
Studies show that regular use of barley water can dissolve and eliminate existing kidney stones and prevent the occurrence of stones and other kidney problems. Use of diuretics either natural or synthetic can help speed up the expulsion of the stone.
Diuretic in nature, barley water helps to flush toxins from the kidneys by creating bladder pressure and increasing the frequency of urination.
- It helps maintain the PH levels in the body, making it alkaline, preventing various urinary tract issues, including kidney stones.
- The vitamin B6 and magnesium in barley helps break down the masses of toxic calcium oxalate (primary cause for stones) in the kidney.
Dietary fiber in barley reduces the amount of calcium that is excreted by the body through urine, restoring renal health and cleansing the kidneys.
Ways to prepare barley water:
- Boil 1 litre of water with a tablespoon of barley pearls and boil on a low flame for about 30 minutes or until the water has reduced to half.
- Strain and cool this mix and drink it through the day.
- Add lemon juice or honey to make the mix tasty
Regular use of barley water ensures that the renal system is hydrated, healthy and free of depositions such as renal stones. So, go ahead and add this elixir to your diet to ensure a healthy renal system and a healthier you. Eat healthy, stay healthy!