Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Vijayakumar S
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Vijayakumar SYour feedback matters!
Hii My age 23 I am not able defecate at normal intervals. Usually after 2 days on an avg. Or I feel of the call. When concentrated deeply on something like studies. Or when I feel like that I have to go in a hurry but trying to finish the present work (double mind edness. As a result I am not able to eat fully. Have frequent memory loss. Feeling cold more than others. And tiredness also. Can you suggest me some effective medication plz.
I do not feel like working at all, I feel sleepy all day and also very weak. I also get negative thoughts and I do not feel like talking to people and always prefer staying. Alone.
Doc gave me benfotiamine, inositol, alpha lipoic acid, mecobalamin & chromium picolinate for nerves as I was suffering from anxiety disorder but after taking this for 25 days once a day I am realizing that the studies and things I used to do during my anxiety disorder are now a big problem I used to do 10 things at one time but now its like not more than 2 things at one time how can it be cured fast.
I was suffering form day dream issue I don't understand why such thing think these day. Please help me.
- First of all you have to help yourself, be determined to quit smoking and drinking. Be worry free and optimistic, avoid loneliness; be with children, family, relatives or with good friends. You may think of your future happy family life. You may enjoy out going with your family regularly for shopping, temple etc. Engage in your liking hobby, work etc. Chant some liking Mantra, like Gayatri mantra regularly when ever gets time, reading of selected chapters from famous biographies will strengthen your mind power. Proper sleep, exercise like morning walk, yoga, meditation and regular simple vegetarian diet, once in a week fasting or consuming only fruits, dry fruits are beneficial. Do some charity or selfless services, serve your parents regularly. If one became mentally strong and determined, then it will be easy to quit smoking and drink.
- There are some herbal Ayurvedic preparations which help in strengthening will power to mange such situation.
Personality refers to the enduring and habitual patterns of behaviour, cognition, emotion, motivation and ways of relating to others. In simpler terms, it's the persona we have for the world to see and interact with. If these patterns or ways of relating with others become nonadaptive or pathological, a personality disorder develops.
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is such a disorder of personality that causes mood swings, self-esteem issues, impulsive behavior and recurrent self-harm behaviour. It is very difficult to lead a normal life with these varied psychological issues.
The symptoms begin to appear from early childhood but they take a serious form only when one reaches adulthood. Issues with behavior and emotion are difficult to treat, people suffering from this illness should be willing to spend a lot of time and be dedicated towards his/her recovery. Through treatments and therapies, they do make significant improvements over time.
The exact cause of borderline personality disorder is not known but various reasons have been hypothesised as possible aetiology. Neuro-chemical disturbance in the brain, genetic vulnerability, some kind of childhood trauma like abandonment, death, neglect and/ or sexual abuse are probable causes of the disease. Prolonged and chronic stress/ anxiety may also lead to triggering of BPD symptomatology in vulnerable individuals later in life.
- Prolonged dysthymia/ sadness
- Feeling lonely/ misfit
- Emotional dysregulation or Frequent mood swings
- Significant interpersonal issues
- Self-Injurious behaviour like making cuts in skin, burning, pricking etc
These symptoms are warning signs of borderline personality disorder and should be paid attention to:
- Abandonment issue - People suffering from BPD have serious abandonment issues. They have an intense fear that they would be left alone and often act out to restrict their love ones from leaving. Sometimes their strategy is to not get too close to protect themselves from being left alone, so they appear aloof.
- Disturbed self-image - People have self-esteem issues, they sometimes love or hate themselves or see themselves as evil. They have unclear goals, views, beliefs and often end up changing their friends, lovers, jobs, sexual identity frequently.
- Dysfunctional relationships - It is very difficult to maintain a normal relationship for people with personality disorder. They tend to have quick short-lived relationships and get put off very easily which leads to a lot of heartbreak.
Suicidal tendencies and frequent self-harm behaviour like cutting skin using blades/ sharp objects are common.
Drugs and alcohol abuse, eating disorders and sexual promiscuity are other forms of self-destructive behaviour commonly encountered in this population. Extreme aggression, delusions, transitional Psychotic states are other possible symptoms of BPD.
Love and support from family and friends are crucial for patients suffering from this disease. Prolonged counseling sessions, therapies and the effort to break away from the chronic gloomy thoughts will definitely lead one to a better life.