Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Urologists in India. You will find Urologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Urologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy Procedure
Blood In Urine (Hematuria) Treatment
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment of H.I.V
Hydrocele Treatment (Surgical)
Kidney Transplant Treatment
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Minimally Invasive Urology Surgery
Open Prostatectomy Surgery
Reconstructive Surgery Procedures
Reconstructive Urology Surgery
Transurethral Incision Of The Prostate (Tuip) Proc
Transurethral Resection Of The Prostate (Turp) Pro
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Urology Minimally Invasive Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Venkat SubramaniamYour feedback matters!
I have renal calculus of 4.5 mm in lower calyx of my right kidney. I never felt any severe pain due to this, only very mild pain sometimes. I'm in a profession in which getting medical clearance certificate is vital. The authorities conducting medical for this profession have asked me to get this stone completely removed to provide medical fitness certificate. I have tried my level best - done 3 sessions of ESWL, taken medicines prescribed by various doctors. But still the stone did not get remove. Then I decided to go for PCN or arthroscopic surgery to get this removed, but none of the doctor that I met are prescribing such surgeries on such a small stone. Now I am left with 7-10 days to report back to medical authorities and I have no idea what to do to remove this stone in just 7-10 days. Please guide me. I will be very thankful to you for your help as my job is at stake.
A prostate operation involves the removal of a part of the prostate gland or sometimes the removal of the entire prostate gland. Such a surgery is a serious one and several recovery tips must be followed by a patient to ensure quick and successful healing.
Here are some important tips for recuperating from a prostate operation:
- After the surgery, you need to spend up to three days in the hospital for initial recovery. You might be given fluids, which go directly into your veins until you fully recover from anesthesia.
- After the operation, normal urination will be disrupted in the beginning, as the urethra stays swollen. Urinating gets a little difficult and uncomfortable for a few days after the removal of the catheter.
- You may feel fatigued and may feel under the weather for some weeks after a prostate operation. So you must take things easy for at least two months.
- Avoid lifting or moving heavy objects for some weeks following the surgery. Do not perform any exercise, which causes strain. You should ask your friends and family members to carry out chores for you.
- After becoming slightly stable you should start gentle exercises. Walking is an effective remedy, which helps in blood circulation and lowers the risk of getting blood clots in the legs.
- You should drink lots of water during the recovery stage. This will reduce the risk of getting a urinary tract infection and also help in clearing any trace of blood from your urine.
- For improving bladder control, you should perform several pelvic floor exercises.
- In case of any kind of pain, you can take over the counter painkillers to ease the pain.
- It will take you a time span of three to six weeks for total recovery after a prostate operation. You should consult a surgeon about the best time to return to normal daily activities.
- You can get back to work soon, but it depends on your nature of work. Office jobs are not much of a problem, but in case of physical labour, more time is needed before you can resume your duties.
- Activities such as driving can be started quite soon after initial recovery. However, it varies from person to person. Some people may get back to driving within two weeks while some may need a month.
- You have to wait for 6 to 8 weeks after a prostate operation before getting back to sexual activities.
- In case you experience high fever, pain during urination or the inability to urinate, you must consult your doctor immediately.
- It takes a person several weeks to recover from a prostate operation completely. Initially, total rest is required. But eventually, he can return to normal activities and lead a healthy life.