Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. VelayuthamYour feedback matters!
: my brother is aged 15 yrs. He has zero vision since 7 years now. We got him consulted with various doctors from major hospitals like lv prasad eye institute, hyderabad to shankar netralaya, chennai. Doctors have diagnosed the problem as lebers congenital amaurosis (lca). He was one of the brightest student in his school. He liked cycling and running, but he can't do either. He is a fighter and is learning mobility and braille. I can't see him like this for entire life. Doctor's say that this is a rare disease, but I feel there definitely would be some way out. I request all the doctor's please help my brother see this world. Thank you
During summer you try to take special care about the overall health of your body, particularly, your eyes. Eyes are one of the most important organs of the body, and the scorching summer heat can cause serious eye problems like conjunctivitis, infections, red eye, migraines etc., which is why it's important to take proper care of eyes during the summer season.
Here are some tips to keep your eyes cool and protected during the summer:
- Wearing sunglasses is very important when you are outdoors as it protects your eyes from the harmful UVA and UVB light. This will help in avoiding migraines and even serious conditions like cataract.
- Avoid midday sunshine. Stay indoors as much as possible during the middle of the day to avoid the sunshine then when the effect of the sun and ultraviolet radiation exposure are at their peak.
- When you plan to go for a swim, make sure you wear your swimming goggles. Otherwise you might catch conjunctivitis.
- You should not splash water into the eyes directly unless any foreign particles such as dust enter your eyes. This might damage the tear film of the eye, which protects your eyes.
- You need to maintain proper hygiene by washing your hands and face properly as soon as you reach home so that dust or grime does not enter the eyes as their entry can result in allergies and infections.
- You can keep a slice of cucumber on each of your eyes to relax and cool them down.
- 6 to 8 hours of sleep are a must as they help in revitalizing your eyes.
- Adding green vegetables, carrots, nuts, liver and fruits to your diet would be very beneficial for the health of your eyes.
I Am Having glasses with much number I want to make my eyes more healthy by eating habits please suggest me some nutritional food drinks medicines by which my eyes will be normal thanks in advance.
I consulted Eye Surgeon for irritation in my eyes as well as redness after taking bath .He has advised eye drops GenTeal of novartis. I used for two months but no improvement.
I heard wearing contact lens is not good for eyes. Is it harmful? I done c3r treatment before 8 months and am using Contact lens.
My eyes are always red. What is the reason behind this. Please suggest me proper medication for treatment.
What is amblyopia or lazy eye? Amblyopia is decreased vision in one or both eyes due to abnormal development of vision in infancy or childhood. In amblyopia, there may not be an obvious problem of the eye. Vision loss occurs because nerve pathways between the brain and the eye aren't properly stimulated. The brain, learns to see only blurry images with the amblyopic eye even when glasses are used. As a result, the brain favors one eye, usually due to poor vision in the other eye. Another word for amblyopia is 'lazy eye'. It is the leading cause of vision loss amongst children.
The major causes of Amblyopia are as follows:
- Eye Misalignment: The most basic reason for amblyopia is misalignment of the eyes. In case, both your eyes are not aimed in the same proportion or direction, the image from the affected eye is turned off by the brain. Only the better eye functions. Double vision is restricted. The persistence of this defect for a prolonged time, makes the eye lose connection with the brain's visual cortex. Amblyopia develops.
- Imbalanced error of refraction: If the refractive blunder of both the eyes is not the same, both eyes can't be in the center at the same time. Amblyopia happens when one eye stays out of the center since it is more myopic, farsighted, or astigmatic than the other. One eye becomes dominant. This results in the neglect of the unfocused eye, which neglects to associate with the mind. Treatment with glasses or contact lenses to adjust the refractive blunder of the eye is required.
- Cloudiness in the visual system: Any kind of obstruction or cloudiness in the normal functioning of the eye tissues can be another reason, which leads to amblyopia. Disorder of any kind which blocks a clear image from being focused is capable of blocking the formation of a clear image on your retina. This may lead to amblyopia. This is perhaps the most severe type of this disease.
How to cure amblyopia?
For treating amblyopia, a child must be compelled to utilize his affected, weaker eye. This can be done by correction of any disorder of the affected eye such as refractive error, problems in the retina, etc. The goal is to correct the amblyopic eye. The normal eye is usually covered up by a patch, so that only the affected eye can be used for vision. The patching up may continue for weeks, months or years until the best vision gets restored. The improving eye should be maintained well. Spectacles are also prescribed for correction of errors regarding refraction. Eye drops such as atropine are also used for blurring the vision of the good eye. Amblyopia makes you visually impaired. The earliest symptoms must be perceived and acted upon.