Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Physiotherapists in India. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Physiotherapists online in Chennai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Varalakshmi Gunabalan
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Treatment of Splinting
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Heat Therapy Treatment
Post Pregnancy Classes
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for Dr. Varalakshmi GunabalanYour feedback matters!
Gone are the days when back pain affected a person only in their old age. Nowadays, almost every second person suffers from some kind of a backache. From sedentary lifestyle to certain diseases and ailments, the back pain can result from the amalgamation of various factors, making the condition painful (mild to chronic) and uncomfortable to the hilt. In this article, we will mainly stress upon the factors responsible for a back pain.
Underlying factors that often triggers a back pain
More than often, prolonged and chronic back pain interferes with the daily activities of a person, thereby jeopardizing their lives. For a proper treatment and management, one should first identify the factors responsible for the back pain. Some of the common and critical triggers include
- Sciatica: Sciatica is a neurological disorder whereby an inflammation or injury of the sciatic nerve (considered the largest nerve in the body) triggers numbness and a shooting pain that moves downwards, often from the lower back (the lumbar region) through the buttocks and hips into the back of one leg. Sometimes, a person may experience a pain down both the legs.
- Osteoarthritis of the spine: This is a painful degenerative disorder of the spine that mainly affects the neck and the lower back. Here, the cartilage of the discs and joints (lower back and neck) are damaged causing pain and weakness. In some people, the pain is so severe that it limits their motion to a great extent.
- Lumbar spinal stenosis: Stenosis of the lumbar spine results in severe back pain, especially in the lower half (lumbar area), triggered by narrowing down of the spinal canal.
- Osteoporosis of the spine: This is a bone disorder where the bones become so porous, thin and weak that they start to crack and break (including those of the spine), a condition known as vertebral compression fractures. These fractures are a common cause of weakness and back pain.
- Shingles: This is a viral infection (varicella-zoster virus) characterized by the appearance of a rash which is often painful. Shingles can occur in any part of the body including the spine. The viral infection in the spine is what triggers the back pain.
- Spinal Cancer, muscle spasm or ligament tear and strain on the back can give rise to back pain.
- Back pain can also be an outcome of rupture or disorder of the discs that act as a defensive shield between the spinal vertebrae.
- Leading a sedentary life can be dangerous, often causing back pain.
- People who are overweight or obese (especially the lower half) are known to suffer from a back pain.
- In many people, rigorous exercise and physical activities can be a major contributing factor, triggering a back pain.
- Women who wear high heels are more susceptible to developing a back pain.
- In addition to these, bad posture, stress, a poor quality mattress can equally contribute to back pain.
- Do not neglect the condition if the pain persists for more than a week. Get medical assistance to avoid further deterioration and complication. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.
My brother got hip joint fracture. After fixation in first surgery Dr. tells us that it was failed. Now doctor gave three option. 1) try again fixation of hip joint 2) hip joint ball replacement 3) removing that hip joint n living without hip joint femoral head. I want to ask what happened if you go with third option.
My question is how do I get rid of pain which starts from side of the knee till thigh and groin sm time my pelvic starts paining if walk for a longer stretch .This pain started eight months ago showed to orthopedic got my knee and pelvic X-ray as well as MRI.In MRI there is a degeneration of mass on the pelvic bone according to the report. So Dr. gave me heaps of pain killers but nothing happened .can you pl suggest what should I do .I am really upset .pl reply. Thanks in anticipation.
My muscles are damaged near my left knee so I want suggestions how can I fell better from that bone.Please suggest.
I am having knee problem. It unlock many time while walking. And l am having severe pain. Please guide for knee treatment.
My mother suffering from service pain in left arm. I had consult with Ortho in rudrapur. Please suggest can I continued with doctor or exercise is sufficient.
I have an effusion in the left knee since 16 feb. I am taking gluccosmine hci with boswellia tablets and wearing a knee cap. What else should I do?
Hello sir i'm suffering from back pain severely my back was inflation due to pain please give me a remedy sir. Thank.
Knee pain can be caused due to a variety of reasons as the knees are large joints that are often subjected to heavy loads. The occurrence of knee pain is on the rise, which may be caused due to sports injuries and unilateral load. Osteoarthritis, arthritis, wearing of the patella, inflammation of bone and cartilage are some of the common forms of knee pain. If you had been suffering from knee pain for quite some time, then there is nothing to worry about; Ayurveda has a great solution to alleviate this condition.
The herbal remedies offered by Ayurveda help in improving immunity, providing strength and endurance.
- Massage: Massage therapy can relieve the joint pain by soothing inflammation and improving the circulation. Several health studies indicate that the regular massage has the power to alleviate pain along the affected joint. You can pick up any oil such as coconut, mustard, olive, castor or garlic oil and heat it and apply it with a gentle pressure while massaging.
- Hot and cold compress: Heat therapy can help in increasing blood flow, decreasing pain and relaxing sore muscles and joints whereas cold therapy aids in reducing inflammation and benumbing the area around the affected knee. But before you apply them, you will have to wrap them separately in towels and not apply directly to the skin. The hot compress can be placed for 3 minutes and then immediately replaced with cold compress for about a minute. The entire process can be repeated for about 20 to 30 minutes. But you shouldn’t be using hot compress if the affected area is hot and irritated. Also, do not opt for cold therapy in case you have circulatory issues.
- Fenugreek: Owing to its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, fenugreek or Methi is a highly favourable home remedy for knee pain. It is particularly helpful for people suffering from arthritis. So you can swallow a teaspoonful of fine fenugreek seeds’ powder and drink a glass of lukewarm water after that. Follow the process regularly unless you get positive results. You may also soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in warm water overnight and eat them in the morning.
Ayurveda has a solution to all your mental and physical problems, but it is important to note here that the treatment must be administered after evaluating your present health condition and medical history. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.