Lybrate.com has an excellent community of ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Balloon Sinuplasty Procedure
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Treatment of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
Treatment of Foreign Body in Eyes, Ears, Nose and
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Hearing, Speech Impairment
Nosebleed (Epistaxis) Treatment
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Treatment of Nasal Disorders
Canalith Repositioning (Cr) Procedure
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Csf Rhinorrhoea Repair Surgery
Ear Microsurgery Procedure
Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
Micro Laryngeal Surgery
Reconstructive Middle Ear Surgery
Revision Ear Surgeries
Submit a review for Dr. V.Shankar KumarYour feedback matters!
Hello. I am Neelu suffering from severe cold and ear pain from last two weeks. I hav taken medicines but nothing is working out. So, Please provide me a good solution to cure this.
She is 20 years old. She had found tinnitus in left ear last night. Its not too much loud. And appears on turning the head on left side. Can it be cured in this stage? Can garlic help?
My throat is totally choked and have too much pain even very difficult to talk please suggest some medicine for relief.
After sometime sitting or lying when I stand I fell blackout dizziness I gone to my eye and ear tests it is normal so, tell me what it is happen with me any problem?
Hello doctor I am 30 year old man I have nose bleeding problem last two days what should I do please tell me.
I have sinus again after I had been operated 5 years back. I have polyp in my nose left is big but I don't feel that polyp and right is very small which can be cured by medication as by my ct scan report. And I have a sudden breathing problem like breathe is not coming properly which is little bit cured with medication. I want to know whether this can be cured by medication or operated?
When I wake-up in the morning, sneezing started and after that water is coming from my nose and my nose get blocked some times. This is daily phenomena. I don't have any fever and cold also. Which medicine I should take.
Hi am suffering from Cold & throat pain can you suggest some remedy for this please its too paining in throat.
I am a 21 years old male, I work in a call centre I speak for approximately 7 hrs after every 2 months I get a sore throat infection and body pains along with mild fever. Can we put this to an halt, is there any medication to stop this? also I eat healthy food daily still my weight is 51 kgs can you recommend something to that would help me gain weight.
I am having tonsils from last two years I go to doctor to get medicine then it decrease but again it comes after 1 month. Tell me what I want to do and why this happening. I don't want to take operation. Thanks.
Sir, I am 38 years. I sweat more than normal while less labour also got tired. I have problem of dizziness usually. Please advise.
Traditionally, people resort to hearing aids in order to take care of their auditory problems. The perception of hearing reduces as age progresses and people find it absolutely necessary to come up with ways by which they can improve their hearing. However, cochlear implants have become extremely popular because of the method that it uses in comparison to the traditional methods of hearing aids.
What is a cochlear implant?
A cochlear implant is an electronic medical device that replaces the function of the damaged inner ear. Unlike hearing aids, which make sounds louder, cochlear implants bypass the damaged hair cells of the inner ear (cochlea) to provide sound signals to the brain.
Who can they help?
The cochlear implant technology can help people who:
- have moderate to profound hearing loss in both ears
- receive little or no benefit from hearing aids
- score 50% or less on sentence recognition tests done by hearing professionals in the ear to be implanted
- score 60% or less on sentence recognition tests done by hearing professionals in the non-implanted ear or in both ears with hearing aids.
Many people have cochlear devices in both ears (bilateral). Listening with two ears can improve your ability to identify the direction of sound and separate the sounds you want to hear from those you don’t.
What are the benefits of a cochlear implant?
Many adults with cochlear implants report that they:
- Hear better with a cochlear implant than with a hearing aid
- A previous study has shown that people with a cochlear implant achieve an average of 80% sentence understanding, compared with 10% sentence understanding for hearing aids1.
- Can focus better when in noisy environments.
- Find it easier to have conversations with people across meeting tables, in restaurants and other crowded places.
- Reconnect with missed sounds that they could not hear before their cochlear implant.
- Feel safer in the world as they can hear alarms, people calling out and approaching vehicles.
- Talk and hear on the phone.
- Enjoy music.
How is a cochlear implant different from a hearing aid?
A cochlear implant is very different from a hearing aid and is appropriate for individuals for whom hearing aids fail to provide benefit. A hearing aid makes sounds louder. Sound still travels through all the portions of the ear (outer ear, middle ear, inner ear) to the hearing nerve. A cochlear implant bypasses these structures and directly stimulates the hearing nerve with electrical energy. Because hearing aids amplify sounds and rely on the hearing system to convey the message, people with severe to profound hearing loss may be able to hear, but not understand speech well. The main objective of a cochlear implant is to improve speech understanding in quiet. Clarity with a cochlear implant is usually better than a hearing aid because the implant does not make sounds louder but delivers them to the hearing nerve.
There are a number of symptoms, which people should be looking out for before concluding that they have a hearing disorder:
- Inability to hear properly
- Excessive ear pain and stress on the brain
- Failure to communicate properly
- Discomfort in the mouth or nose
- Other feelings of anxiety or stress that may actually be a consequence of the hearing loss problem
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ENT specialist.
Whenever I get up in the morning my voice changes and I have difficulty in speaking and also feel pain in throat. After drinking some water and clearing my throat I get relief. But to avoid this what should I do?
Although nose bleeding is quite common during the cold months, they can occur in the summer months too. This is because, during the summer heat, your nose may tend to get excessively dry. The protective layer of mucus in the nasal cavity tends to dry up during the summer months, thus resulting in nose bleeding. The hot summers can also lead to allergies, which in result can cause it.
Although nose bleeding may be quite messy, it is nothing very serious and can be easily prevented or stopped. Here are a few home remedies that you can try if you are prone to nose bleeding during the summer season:
- Vinegar: Vinegar is easily available in any household and effectively stops nose bleeding. Just pour in some vinegar in a cotton ball or a piece of cloth and put it into your nose for some time.
- Ice: Ice also effectively helps with controlling nose bleeding. Just rub ice against your nose to reduce swelling in the blood vessels. The ice will also effectively numb the pain offering instant relief.
- Foods containing vitamin C: Ensure that during the summer months you take the right amount of Vitamin C into your diet. This is because Vitamin C helps in blood clotting, and will stop nose bleeding faster. Foods that are rich in vitamin C are guavas, kale, mustard, parsley, oranges, strawberries and lemons.
- Baking soda: Baking soda works wonders for nose bleeding. Just mix some amount of baking soda into water, and transfer the solution into a spray bottle. Spray your nose with the solution.
- Steam: Inhaling steam is a great way to prevent nose bleeding. When you take steam, it moistens the nasal cavity and prevents it from becoming dry, thus avoiding any bleeding.
- Right posture: Another way to quickly stop a nose bleeding is to elevate your head. Keep your head in that position until the bleeding stops and try not to bend, as it can just aggravate bleeding.
- Whole-wheat bread: Make whole-wheat bread as part of your daily diet during summer. It is said to contain Zinc, which protects the blood vessels in the body.
- Drink water: ?Also ensure that you keep yourself hydrated at all times during the hot summer months. Drink plenty of liquids like fruit juice and milkshake, to prevent your nose from drying out.
Here are some causes and treatments for epistaxis ( Nasal Bleeding)