Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. V.RaveenthiranYour feedback matters!
My daughter is 6 years old, almost 20 kgs. Has gas problem, sometime also has stomach ache and smelly gas and potty, is slightly underweight also. Pls help with remedy to cure her has problem and for her growth.
The baby is not turning, nor she is moving on her stomach, nor on her knees. She sits well, straight. Doctor suspects of hypotonia? What is the cure.
My son aged 10 years having his one testicles getting enlarged and another one is small since few days. What should we do? is it any serious problem.
Hi I have a kid of 4.4 years. She is intelligent with good grasping power. The only habit which is not good that she used tell our home secrets to her bus attendant (lady). Every thing like of any fight occurred between me and my husband, if I dnt give her noodles. I can't give her noodles everyday which I do occasionally. Please help me how I can improve her this habit. Thanks.
My son's DOB is 23.02. 2016. He was given his 10 week vaccination today - 6.5. 2016 and NXT one is due on 6.6. 2016. Can I give it on 1.6. 2016? As I am going out of station.
My son is 4 year old. He is not at all showing interest towards meal/food. Whatever he eats we have to make him eat forcibly. Consulted paediatrician and showed my concern if this is resultant of any worm, but he did not advise any anti-worm medicine. Now I am little worried about possible reason. Please advise what to do?
My daughter is 1 year 4 month old and she is suffering with chicken pox but the concern is she was already suffering with cold and cough. Which is still there. Is there any problem or what should we do at this point of time?
My daughter is 1.2 year old. She is not having her food in time. Only bottle milk feeding 5 to 6 times a day. Before a month she had food, juices etc but now she is not ready to eat anything. Is there any reason for not having food?
My sons are 11 months old they are twins 7 months born elder one is thin and I can hear loads of bone joint sounds whenever I pick him up and he has white spots on his nails what should I do?
My son is 6 months baby I came recently from San Francisco.I dint use any medicine for stomach but here in India evyone recommend neopeptine n gripe water to be given twice a day compulsorily.Cn I giv that both at a time?n how much quantity.
My baby, who is 2 months old now, was fair when she was born. But now her skin is becoming darker. Pls help me to make my baby look fair.
My daughter had diaper rashes at the age of 7 months. I had applied ointment candid b as prescribed by her doctor. Then it turned into white skin patches just like vitiligo. Is there any treatment for it.
My child is 15 months old and earlier days he didn't like plain cow milk. Can I give any supplements to increase the flavor or test of milk. Suggest any name of supplements which is healthier.
Cleft lip and cleft palate are the two most common birth defects affecting children all over the world. What happens in the cleft lip is that the upper lip is incompletely formed and in cleft palate abnormalities, we see babies with an incompletely formed roof of the mouth. Both these can be found individually or can occur together. These conditions can be severe or mild and affect one or both sides of the face.
The fEtus undergoes the separation of the upper lip and the roof of the mouth pretty early. In certain cases, this separation does not happen or happens incompletely and certain parts of the upper lip and roof of the mouth fail to form properly leading to cleft lip and palate.
Repair through surgery
- Plastic surgery is the only way to repair a cleft lip and/or palate. Both of these impair vital functions like speaking, eating, breathing, and hearing properly.
- Surgery is done to restore function and to make the affected child look more normal.
- Most cleft lip and palate surgeries are done on very young children usually 3 months to a year old.
- Before the actual surgery, a team of specialist define a course of treatment, including repair of the cleft using surgery, which means plugging the hole in the lip or the palate; speech rehabilitation and dental restoration, as the child usually has no teeth in the affected parts of the upper palate.
The specialists required are:
- Plastic surgeon
- Pediatric dentist
- Ear, nose, and throat specialist
- Auditory or hearing specialist
What happens during surgery?
Usually, cleft lip surgery happens in children as young as 3-6 months old. It has to be carried out under general anaesthesia. If the condition is severe, and the cleft lip is wide, special procedures like lip adhesion or a moulding plate are used to bring the two parts of the lip closer and it is fully repaired.
Cleft palate repair surgery is done at the age of 9-12 months only.
What happens here is that plastic surgeons bring together the muscles of the upper soft palate and rearrange them to cover the gaping hole in the roof of the mouth. The surgery is usually done under general anaesthesia and requires a short hospital stay.
- Without a normal palate, the child can’t speak properly. So, surgery helps to improve and normalise speech.
- And that’s not all. The child may require more surgeries as he grows older to treat these two problems.
- This is because the child’s facial structure changes and he or she may require advanced surgeries like pharyngoplasty, which helps improve speech, or alveolar bone grafts to provide stability for permanent teeth.
- A bone graft is usually done when the child is 6-10 years old and it closes gaps in the bone or gums near the front teeth. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pediatrician.