Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Umamaheshwari M
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Umamaheshwari MYour feedback matters!
At what days should I have sex to make my Wife pregnant as her periods falls from 30 to 35 days am trying but not succeeded suggest me?
Hi I am 27 yrs old and 15 weeks pregnant for the first time. I've pain in my right leg (not always) it gets cured on its own and comes back almost every week. Is it normal?
Being at the peak of optimal health should be the goal of every individual. As the saying goes, 'Health is Wealth'. Certain food items will help you to reach the pinnacle of health if they are consumed regularly. These foods will not only keep you healthy and fit, but will also help the body to function properly with the nutrients it receives from them.
Given below is a list of foods that you should be eating for optimal health:
- Garlic: Garlic contains a compound called "allicillin", which is the major component to make garlic a healthy food item. Garlic is very effective to cure common colds and flu. Garlic also helps reduce high blood pressure. It reduces bad cholesterol and improves good cholesterol levels in the blood. Garlic also helps to detoxify your body. Treating osteoarthritis is another great benefit of eating garlic.
- Yogurt: Yogurt contains probiotics, which control bacterial growth which is harmful to your body. It also provides your body with calcium.
- Broccoli: Broccoli contains sulphur, which makes this green vegetable a cancer fighter. It contains sulforaphane which gives it this property.
- Oats: Oats help to control blood pressure and cholesterol level in the blood. They are also a great source of fibre for the body. Oats help keep your heart healthy.
- Beets: Beets are a rich source of multivitamins. They help to lower blood pressure and also lower the risk of any cardiovascular disease. Beets also help detoxify the body.
- Cabbage: Cabbage helps reduce the risk of having cancer. It also prevents heart diseases, gastrointestinal problems and Alzheimer's disease. Cabbage is loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K, which help it prevent osteoarthritis.
- Fish: Fish helps to control blood pressure. Fish oil can help slow down mental aging. The Omega-3 fatty acids present in fish are very important sources of protein.
- Eggs: Eggs are rich sources of proteins. They aid in the bodybuilding process and the repair and maintenance of the body.
- Spinach: Spinach is a rich source of antioxidants, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin K, and Omega-3 fatty acids. It helps fight cancer, and also detoxifies the body.
- Tomatoes: The vitamins and phytonutrients in tomatoes make them such a healthy food option which keeps cancer and heart diseases at bay.
Related Tip: "6 Foods That Help You Lose Weight"
I have pcod problem. Tell me medicine. Periods not regular. And i am also over weight. so please tell a solution for that
What is legal length for the abortion to be carried out? Some one is saying 12 wks /20 wks? I am very confused. Sir can you suggest me.
There are many reasons leading to infertility, but one of the main causes is the inability of the sperm to travel all the way up to the uterus to fertilize an egg. This is caused by defective sperms and could be due to poor sperm quality, poor motility, etc. There are multiple reasons for this, and even smoking, obesity, diabetes, hypertension, etc. could be reasons.
Many technical advancements in fertility treatments are being done, and they try to keep the natural process of fertilization intact, at the same time improving the chances of success. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI, often used as a standalone term iksee) improves the rate of fertilization in that the sperm is directly injected into the egg. The environment of this artificial fertilization is completely controlled, and the fertilized egg is then placed into the womb for further growth. It is one of the recent methods of improving fertility, a part of ART (assisted reproductive technology).
Poor sperm perms motility
Semen where sperm concentration is low
Male infertility with unidentifiable cause
Poor sperm quality, with sluggish sperms
Ejaculation issues, such as retrograde ejaculation (semen is ejected into the bladder)
Useful in couples who have failed IVF.
What to expect?
The following outlines some of the steps for both male and female before and during the procedure.
Before the procedure - males:
First step is the sperm collection; a screening is first done
Sperms collection happens through either masturbation or directly from the testicles via a small incision
Sperms could be collected fresh or collected and frozen for later use
Before the procedure – women:
In the normal menstrual cycle, only a single egg is released. However, prior to ICSI, the woman is given ovulation drugs, which are high-dose hormone injections prior to ovulation. This ensures multiple eggs are released, which are then retrieved for fertilization in the external environment.
Blood and urine are monitored regularly to identify the ovulation time, and eggs are collected within 24 to 36 hours of release
During the procedure - How ICSI happens:
A healthy egg is chosen and placed in a glass tube, and a sperm is introduced to ensure fertilization
This could be repeated in multiple tubes, and the most healthy one could be chosen to be implanted into the uterus
Some of the fertilized ones could be frozen for later use, in case the implanted embryo fails to grow as expected
The success rate for this procedure is quite high as the fertilization rate is almost 80 - 85 %
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
I had my last period on 25th march now from 6th april i'm spotting little blood and experiencing negligible pain in right side my lower abdomen. I have 30 days cycle. Is it a serious problem or just early sign of mensuration. Suggest me some medicine for regulating my period.
Calcium Defiency in women
Diet is a well balanced food combination which should be tailored according to personal needs and as circumstances changes specially. The wrong food can fail to nourish us, can keep us awake at night, make us sluggish and overweight or tense us up;
Major points to be kept in mind to plan our diet are:
- Personal Needs.
- Stages of our life.
- Genetic and temperament conditions.
- Clinical condition.
- Personal needs are likes, dislikes and your time availability
- Stages of our life we are in is very important as age plays a major role. So, supplement and manipulation of food group depends on our age.
There are many health problems those arise because of lifestyle we follow:
- Posture-related problems.
- Mental health disorders, like depression and anxiety.
- Heart disease.
- High blood pressure.
- Abnormal heart beats.
- Menstrual problems.
- Acne and other skin problems.
Common deficiencies noted in women are:
Vegetarian and non - vegetarian diet have their unique role in maintaining bone mineral metabolism of body.
- Calcium Deficiency in women makes entire matrix of the bone week, therefore keeping check of calcium in our diet can prevent women from osteoporosis in later ages after menopause. Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body, with over 99% of the amount present is being found in the bones and teeth. After the age of 35, both men and women start losing calcium from their bones. During menopause, however, the rate of loss increases rapidly for women. It also has a role to play in nerve function, blood clotting, muscle health, and other areas.
- Source of calcium
- Seeds-sesame ,sunflower , cheese
- Soya bean and their products
- Sources of protein: like fish, meat, Poultry, eggs are also important.
- Source of vitamin-D: Vitamin D can be obtained from sun exposure, food like eggs, mushrooms, orange and fish.
- Source of Phosphorus: Phosphorus is found in high amounts in protein rich foods such as milk and milk products and meat and alternatives, such as beans, lentils, nuts, Sunflower Seeds and Broccoli.
Common menstrual problems faced by women are cramps, pcod, menorrhagia, and amenorrhea.
Certain foods like caffeine, alcohol, caffeinated tea and high salt diets increases intensity of cramps. Include 'Ca' rich foods like broccoli, low fat yoghurt, high fiber diets and omega-3 rich foods to help you during your menstrual cycle.
Working women should Try to include energy booster snacks like nuts for mid meals and plan carbohydrate rich diets with more of complex carbs in form of roasted grains and cereals bars. Keeping a check on amount of water intake is also very important. Replace caffeinated drinks with herbal infusion and buttermilk for detoxification of the body.
Ultimately we have to overcome the fatigue, lethargy and all the clinical condition by planning our meals and having a well balanced diet for a healthy body.
Pain during intercourse is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or immediately following sexual intercourse. The sensation felt in this region differs from woman to woman, and can include itching, burning, inflammation. Vestibulodynia specifically affects the vestibule, the area inside the inner lips of the vulva where the vagina is found. This region contains the Bartholin’s gland which produces vaginal lubrication, the urethra where you pass urine, and some small minor vestibule glands producing vaginal discharge. It is characterised by pain felt whenever pressure is applied to the vestibular region. It is thus a localised form of vulvodynia, chronic pain in the vulva area.
- The symptoms of Vestibulodynia typically lasts for half or quarter a year. However, in some cases it may last for years, and a lifetime if untreated.
- Most women realize that they suffer from Vestibulodynia during their first sexual experience since the vestibular area is so hypersensitive that even the slightest touch during sexual intercourse, moving while in tight clothing as well as inserting tampons may cause some discomfort and pain.
The degree of pain experienced by women suffering from Vestibulodynia is variable. You may experience pain even after having had comfortable sexual relationships.
- Apart from overgrowth or hypersensitivity of the nerve fibers in that region, other possible causes are tendencies of pain problems or disorders, chronic yeast infections like thrush, injuring the vestibular area during surgery or childbirth and/or extreme sensitivity to irritants like panty liners and detergent etc.
- Sometimes, the pain is due to deeply rooted psychological issues, such as sexual trauma and other factors, such as birth or while moving house.
Vestibulodynia is sometimes mistaken for a type of skin diseases. However for the best treatment, you must consult a gynecologist who will treat your condition depending on your symptoms. Mentioned below a few ways to treat Vestibulodynia:
- Vaginal dilators, which are inserted into the vagina to relax the muscles present and gently stretch that area. Vestibulodynia also causes the pelvic floor muscles to tense up which can be overcome through vaginal dilators.
- Anesthetic Gels are water based gels, which have a small amount of local anesthesia and may numb the sensitive nerve fibers present there temporarily. Rub the gel over the tender areas, half an hour before indulging in sexual activities.
- You may even consume nerve fiber blocking tablets if you experience constant pain due to Vestibulodynia to tend to the sensitive nerve endings in your skin.