Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Uma Devanathan
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Uma DevanathanYour feedback matters!
PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) can throw life in jeopardy. A disorder of the endocrine system, PCOS is characterized by the formation of a cyst or multiple cysts in the ovary of a woman of reproductive age. More than often, PCOS affects the ovulation process giving rise to many complications including infertility and menstrual problems. In women with PCOS, the level of the hormone androgen is found to be quite elevated. While conventional treatments and surgical options are available, people are gradually switching over to Ayurvedic treatment. With a holistic approach amalgamated with a healthy diet and beneficial modifications and lifestyle changes, Ayurveda has been instrumental in treating the condition of PCOS with elan. In this article, we will discuss the Ayurvedic approach to deal with PCOD and the associated symptoms.
To enjoy a sound and disease free health, a proper balance and equilibrium between the three doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) are essential. A disruption of the dosha balance can, in turn, trigger contamination and impairment of the any of the seven Dhatus or tissues (Rasa Dhatu, Rakta Dhatu, Mamsa Dhatu, Meda Dhatu, Asthi Dhatu, Majja Dhatu, Shukra Dhatu) leading to a built-up of internal toxins (Ama).
In PCOS, there is vitiation of the Kapha Dosha that goes on to block the Vata and Pitta Doshas. The vitiation affects the Rakta and Rasa Dhatu which triggers the Ama to build up in the Manovahi Strotas (mind channels). This acts as a catalyst resulting in a hormonal imbalance with the symptoms and complications characteristic of PCOS.
Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOS
Once the trigger for PCOS has been diagnosed, the next step involves cleansing (detoxifying) the body of the harmful Ama through
- The use of medicated oil baths and oil massages (Oleation) and Fomentation (the body is made to sweat excessively).
- A Therapy known as Panchakarma is often used to carry out the necessary detoxification.
- Oleation and Fomentation, extensively used in Panchakarma go a long way to soften as well as liquify the toxins which remain attached to the body tissues. The softened and liquefied toxins are then easily eliminated and flushed out using different Panchakarma steps (Vamana, Nasya, Basti, Virechana, and Raktamokshana).
- There is also a dietary modification. In most of the times, a woman with PCOS is recommended a light and vegetarian diet, avoiding saturated and trans fats (Bad fats such as Margarine, cookies, pastries).
- Processed and refined foods, desserts, candies, red meat, dairy products (high fats) aerated drinks, and beverages, white bread, are best left avoided.
- Include foods such as onion, cauliflower, grapefruit, peaches, apples, oats, (low glycemic index).
- Choose complex carbohydrates (lentils, beans, oatmeal, whole grain bread, green leafy vegetables) over simple ones.
- Drink more fluids (water, fresh fruit juice, soup).
- Exercise and meditation is a must. However, do not overstress yourself.
- Keep stress (physical, mental, emotional) at bay.
- Methi seeds and flax seeds can work wonders for PCOS. You can soak the methi seeds in water (overnight) and drink the water the next day.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Thanks for their commitment for health and fitness
Yeah everyone has its unique identity in its odors too but when it comes torturing its unhealthy
Bad body odors (breath, sweat even when urine n stool has normal but bad odor due to normal pitta).
When its notable bad (vitiated pitta to be treated) please consult your (ayurveda doctor)
Family physician to get medical condition.
Yeah diet also plays role to manage the body odors.
October heat may boost all these body odors so consider to detox in this season.
Sure all your near n dear one will note the thing.
Have happy n healthy living.
One of my relative got breast cancer it was cured but now she got it again doesn't cancer have no cure.
Mam, Mera period 10 March tak ho jana chahiye tha Lekin Aaj 24 March tak nahi hua hai, please suggest. Mera 2nd daughter 8 month ka hai,
I have irregular periods or you can say period after 3 months and bipolar disorder how can I cure my disease through Ayurveda and I also have some allergy on my arms these days?
After period having pain and feeling like discharging something but there is no blood at all? What to do?
I had unprotected sex with my bf 13 nov and period just over 11 nov. I took unwanted 72 within 8-9 hrs of my intercourse. After 5 days my bleeding was started. But my period date is 7 december. Now my period delay. Is there any chance of my pregnant? please help me.
My wife is 49 years old breast feeding 1 year 2 month old baby girl. Now she notice vaginal liquid discharge. Is it a symptom of menopause? Is there medical support to elongate menstrual cycle?
Herniated disks or bone spurts in the vertebrae of the neck may become the reason behind severe neck pain. They sometimes take too much space and compress the nerves branching out from the spinal cord.