Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. ThirunavakkarasuYour feedback matters!
I am having floaters which is very annoying heard of laser floater removal. Is it performed anywhere in india?
Sir. I have eye problem. Sir. No clear in night time. What can I take decision. Any problem sir. Will I hs jsjhsgks jzgsh khsg.
Sir , I am experiencing blurred vision (right eye), is there any permanent solution to cure by using medicines without using glasses.
I am 27 years old. I have eyes problem. My eyes in some time watering problems and infection from dust what should I do? Please help me.
I am having a specs and my left side eye number is-2.0 and right one is - 2.5 and I don't like to where specs what can I do so that the number of my eye call fall down to zero.
I don't know what keep happening to me in every 5 days. I am preparing for medical. I read smoothly for 4 days then suddenly I drown and on the 5th day I become depressed. I want to cry. I feel sad. I waste my that day. Doing something on mobile or watching some movie. How do I control this? I don't like to live like this. In fact watching movie too don't work for me. After that too I remain depressed, sad. Then after 2 days, I automatically feel better and continue my studies.
I am suffering from RP. Can you help me if RPE 65 Gene therapy can cure my disease. please guide me sir.
Recently I start to wear eye contact lenses, before that I used glasses, lenses make my eyes irritate, what to do.
I am suffering from cold and my eyes are itching badly since yesterday, the sneezing is continuous when ever I sneeze. Please suggest something.
Mai ye janna chahta hu ki chasme ka no. Thoda jyada ho to kya faraq pdta h? Jese mera no. -0.25 D h jbki chsme ka -0.50 D h to kya use kr skte?
My eyes get burning sensation once in 2 or 3 days. It automatically stops after 20 or 30 minutes. Can you please give me the reasons and suggest a treatment.
Night blindness is also called nyctalopia. It's a type of vision impairment. People with night blindness experience poor vision at night or in dimly lit environments. It is not a disease in itself, but rather a symptom of an underlying problem, usually a retina problem.
What Causes Night Blindness?
A number of eye conditions can cause night blindness, including:
- Nearsightedness or blurred vision when looking at faraway objects.
- Cataracts or clouding of the eye's lens.
- Retinitis pigmentosa, which occurs when dark pigment collects in your retina and creates tunnel vision.
- Vitamin A Deficiency
- Zinc Deficiency
- Dry Eyes
Are the Symptoms of Night Blindness?
The sole symptom of night blindness is difficulty seeing in the dark. You're more likely to experience night blindness when your eyes transition from a bright environment to an area of low light, such as when you leave a sunny sidewalk to enter a dimly lit restaurant. You're likely to experience poor vision when driving due to the intermittent brightness of headlights and streetlights on the road.
How can I Prevent Night Blindness?
You can't prevent night blindness that's the result of birth defects or genetic conditions, such as Usher syndrome. You can, however, properly monitor your blood sugar level and eat a balanced diet to make night blindness less likely.
Orange colored foods are excellent sources of vitamin A, including:
- Sweet potatoes
- Butternut squash
What are the Treatment Options for Night Blindness?
The treatment will depend on its causes.
- Nutrient deficiency (Vitamin A and Zinc) is the easiest to treat.
- If the cause is cataract, you can go for cataract surgery to remove the clouded lens and replace it with artificial intraocular lens. Vision is usually dramatically improved after surgery.
- For dry eye syndrome, lubricate your eyes with artificial tear drops as they provide instant relief. Just make sure that they are without preservatives.
- Diabetic retinopathy can be prevented with tight control over blood sugar, active lifestyle and good dietary habits.
- As for retinitis pigmentosa, unfortunately there are no treatments available. Thankfully, new research is showing that vitamin A might have a slowing effect on the progression of this eye disease. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ophthalmologist.