Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Nephrologists in India. You will find Nephrologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Nephrologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Suresh SankarasubbaiyanYour feedback matters!
I am 21 year old female and I am suffering from burning sensation urination with pinkish blood. What can I do?
I am 40 years male suffering from recurrent micturition and from a long time and intence dezire to micturate after every 30 minuteplz give advice.
Kidney cancer (renal cancer or renal cell carcinoma) is one of the ten most common cancers in both men and women.
It occurs when the cells in kidney grow uncontrollably and start invading surrounding tissues (i. E, undergoes malignant change). The risk factors are age > 40 years, smoking, obesity, long term dialysis, certain genetic conditions, family history, high blood pressure and male gender. However, it can occur to anybody.
What are the symptoms of kidney cancer?
1. Blood in urine
2. Pain or lump in side of upper abdomen
3. Weight loss or loss of appetite
4. Long term fever
However, many of kidney cancers are detected on routine ultrasonograms done for other purposes. Thus, regular ultrasonogram testing can pick up these tumors very early.
What are the diagnostic tests?
Contrast enhanced computed tomography (ct scan) of abdomen is the current gold-standard test to diagnose kidney tumors and evaluate for local spread. Chest x-ray or ct chest helps in diagnosing spread to lungs. Some blood tests will help to evaluate function of kidney and general health condition.
What are the best treatment modalities?
Surgical removal is the best treatment for kidney cancer. Chemotherapy or radiation therapy does not act on kidney cancer and hence are not used.
If the size is small, only the tumor is removed and rest of kidney can be preserved (nephron sparing surgery or partial nephrectomy).
For large tumors, the whole kidney, surrounding tissues and lymph nodes are removed totally (radical nephrectomy).
Both these surgeries can be done through keyholes (laparoscopy), thus reducing the pain and leading to faster recovery.
If the tumor has spread all over the body, then targeted therapy is given using specific drugs (usually in the form of tablets) like pazopanib, sunitinib, sorafenib etc.
How to follow-up after treatment?
Regular check up using ultrasonogram, ct scan, chest x-ray, renal function tests, liver function tests are needed to maintain good health.
Take home message:
Regular ultrasonograms after the age of 40 years (at least annually) can help in diagnosing these tumors and curing them 100%.
I am feeling discomfort while urinating the urine is yellow in colour and feel pain to penis while urinating. It is because of my food intake or something else I do not know. But few say it is because of high heat in body. And they say do not take chapati and oil food etc While I ate 6 chapatis daily with spicy curry. Weather it is the food or something rlse. Please prescribe me some good medication to this uneasiness.
I am 56 years old, I have problem of Kidney Stone problem. Today morning heavy paid, when I drink hot water ONE small stone pass out. Please suggest medicine.
I m born with single kidney. And I m already 21 old and I have smoking and drinking habbite so how it's dangerous of my health just bcoz of one kidney?
My mom had suffered from jaundice, She had been admitted to the hospital from 3 to 15 of April, Now, She improved, But still. The ppl are saying dat you need to control your diet for few months at least, Not to eat oil, Turmeric nd all, Only has to depend on liquids and curd rice, Even doctor had advised to control the diet for few days; So what she can eat, She is fed up of eating curd rice, She feels hungry very often but when she is unable to eat as her stomach becomes heavy after eating 3-4 spoons of DAL & SPICY FOOD What according to should be the diet in jaundice? Till how many days/months she need to stay away from oily & Spicy food?; Which food she can intake now? Moreover, She is 42 years of age having no diabetes, No blood pressure nd no other serious problems, But she is having 1 stone in each kidney Pls satisfy with your valuable answer.
I am a 21 year old female. I need to know whether kidney diseases transferred hereditarily? coz my mom had kidney problem from her childhood. And after pregnancy in 1994, her 1 kidney was removed. Because of that she couldn't breast feed for me. So my immunity power seems to be very less. Am suffering from many diseases like fever often, migrain, sinesitis, body pains. Etc. At some time I got pain in my abdomen part, mainly to the kidney area. Bt it doesnt last long. So I need to know whether is there any chance for me to have the kidney failure diseases as that in my mom.
My father was suffer lower belly pain. Local doctor suspects it is kidney problem. Done USG and report suggests 4.1 mm non-shadowing calculus found in right kidney. Small cyst 2.49 cm x 2.67 cm found in right kidney. Dilated, 1.06 cm single calculus found at left pelvic-uretic junction. Please advise.
The pair of kidneys that human beings have, forms an important part in the excretory system. They perform specific and important functions. They excrete urine as well as help in eliminating the toxins, which accumulate in the body. Kidney stones occur when the minerals present in the urine without being discharged, keep on accumulating. This gives rise to an extremely painful and uncomfortable situation. Though sometimes the situation gets revoked all by itself, many-a-times it requires medical intervention.
Some of the symptoms of kidney stones are:
However, there are several preventive measures which you can undertake in order to avert the situation. Some of them are:
- Drink lots of water: Kidney stone is one of those rare conditions that once occurred, always carry the latent threat of recurring again. Therefore, drinking water in large quantities becomes essential. The more you drink water, the more frequently you would urinate, thereby curbing the chances of the minerals settling in the kidneys.
- Avoid certain foods: Food like beets, spinach, those which are replete with calcium oxalate should be avoided in order to minimize chances of having kidney stones.
- Foods recommended:
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables
- Drink plenty of water ( 10 -12 glasses of water)
- Dietary calcium of 1gm a day
- Low oxalate diet Foods to be restricted
- Reduce the amount of salt in your diet
- Restrict food containing excess of oxalate
- Limit intake of animal proteins
- Change your diet: If you are trying to avoid the eventuality of developing kidney stones, it is imperative that you change your diet a bit. It is recommended that you exclude animal protein as much as possible and assiduously avoid the intake of salt as much as possible.
- Take less calcium supplements: Calcium generally is considered a nemesis to your kidneys and is prescribed by doctors to be avoided. However, recent research has thwarted this claim. Calcium does not pose a threat to kidneys. However, calcium supplements definitely do and therefore, should be avoided. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an urologist.