Lybrate.com has an excellent community of ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. Sundara KrishnanYour feedback matters!
Hello I am suffering from throat problems for few years. Always thought is swells always feels there is something in through. Cough issues nose are almost blocked all the time.
My mother snores a lot while asleep, this has been leading to her inadequate sleep. Previously a doctor had recommended a machine but my mother feels utterlyuncomfortable to use it while asleep. Please recommend me a perfect solution, an suggest me the specialisation of doctor which deals this problem.
Hello Doctor I am 29 year old man I have nose allergies problem last 4 month and infection for dust what should I do please tell me.
My age is 29, male.M a non vegetarian. After the meal or while taking my meal I feel a stomach forcefully pushes upwards and constipation, dryness in throat, watery of mouth ,Nausea .I always feel stomach as full .My stomach problem is so irritating that for this I can't take my problem I am taking antidepressant since 3 and 1/2 years .Due to panic disorder and anxiety .What is the actual cause of my stomach problem.
Hi doctor I'm 38 I have sinus I have pain on both side of my head. What I can do for it. I'm having this for long time. Please give me a good treatment. Thank you.
20 week pregnant now currently suffering severe cold and sneezing problem since last three days. What to do as antibiotics cud be harmful for baby As of only iron, calcium and folic acid supplements are taking.
My left ear seems like blocked since 10 days doctor advised to use dexoren s ear drop but it dint work what to do.
I am 49 years male having persistent acidity problem, have been taking omeprazole for years now. Whenever I stop taking medicine in 3-4 days there is a burning problem in my throat and chest.Please guide.
How to solve mucus problem of throat. It's very uncomfortable. It's happened over the year. I am vocalist, so it's very irritating.In the morning. Amount of mucus is more and my voice is getting low and heavy. What to do?
I have a snoring problem since last 1 year. What are the main causes for this and how do I resolve it. Please help.
The tonsils are soft tissue masses which are located at the back of your throat, usually at the pharynx. The tonsils are masses which are part of the lymphatic system that helps fight infections. However, tonsils can themselves become inflamed and cause a lot of pain. Tonsillectomy is a procedure to remove the tonsils and relieve pain.
Why is tonsillectomy performed?
A few decades back, tonsillectomy was a routine surgery performed to relieve any pain within the tonsils. This method of treatment however has changed over the past few decades as pain medications for inflammation have improved vastly. However, tonsillitis is still performed in many cases wherein it tends to cause acute problems. Some of the cases it is applicable in are:
- Chronic bad breath problems caused by recurrent inflammation of the tonsils
- Recurrent sore throats caused by tonsillitis
- It is also done along with dental surgery for correcting teeth with imperfect positioning
- Abscess formation in the mouth
- Upper airway being obstructed due to inflammation, thus causing difficulty with sleeping, snoring, or causing sleep apnea (irregular breathing during sleep)
- Ear infections being regularly caused by inflammation of the tonsils
Other reasons why it may be recommended
Tonsillectomy may be also be recommended when there are no indications of problems but tonsillitis and other infections keep cropping up too regularly. This affects children and can make them sick or keep them in pain regularly. Some of these other indications are mentioned below:
- Tonsil infections and inflammations happening too frequently within a year
- Tonsillitis is caused by bacterial infection wherein the antibiotics aren’t effective
- Formation of pus in the form of an abscess within or around the tonsils which keep forming even after repeated drainage or administering antibiotics
Possible complications and risks
Like any other form of surgery, tonsillectomy has certain risks associated with it as well. However, these are very rare. Some of these risks and complications are mentioned as follows –
- Swelling of the mouth: The tongue and the soft palate or the roof of the mouth may swell, resulting in breathing difficulties an few hours after the surgery.
- Infection: As is the case with any surgery, infections may occur in rare cases, which may require further treatment.
- Adverse reactions to anesthetics: Many patients exhibit an adverse reaction to anesthetics and may develop symptoms such as a headache, nausea, muscle soreness and frequent vomiting.
- Bleeding during surgery or healing: Although it is rare, bleeding during and after surgery has been reported after all sorts of procedures and it may occur with tonsillectomy as well. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ENT specialist.