Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Submit a review for Dr. SumathiYour feedback matters!
Gonorrhea is a bacterial disease that is transmitted through intimate contact. If not treated on time, gonorrhea can become serious. Every year millions of people get affected with this disease across the globe.The area of infection predominantly involves the anus, vagina, penis and urethra.
Symptoms of gonorrhea
Gonorrhea often shows no symptoms. It is found that only two out of ten women show signs of gonorrhea and one out of ten men show signs of gonorrhea. This disease can take as long as 14 days to show any signs of its existence. Some common signs in women include menstrual irregularities, throwing up, abdominal pain, painful intercourse, swelling of the vulva, frequent urination and yellowish vaginal discharge. Some common signs among men include burning sensation while urinatingand discharge of pus during urination. Some common symptoms include itching of the anus, throat selling, oral infection and painful bowel movements.
- Complications in pregnancy: Apart from premature labour and stillbirth, gonorrhea can get passed on to the fetus as well. Some other symptoms include eye infection and joint and blood infection. If the fetus gets an eye infection, antibiotics drop is prescribed by the Doctor.
- Infertility: If gonorrhea is not treated for a long time, it can lead to infertility. Women might find infections in regions such as the uterus, fallopian tube and ovaries. Men might find infection in their testicles, urethra, etc. It can lead to a condition known as the epididymitis. If this condition is not treated, men can become permanently infertile.
- Arthritis: Arthritis can lead to a condition known as the disseminated gonococcal infection (DGI). This is a condition, which leads to arthritis or soring of skin. Women are more prone to developing this condition than men. Some common symptoms include fever, joint pain and fever. If DGI is not treated on time, it can lead to permanent damage of joints.
How is gonorrhea treated?
Gonorrhea is easily treatable and medication involves antibiotics along with other drugs. In case a pregnant woman gets diagnosed with gonorrhea, antibiotics are not prescribed. It is strictly advised not to involve in any sexual activities while the treatment is underway. Some of the common precautions that should be taken while undergoing treatment involves the following:
- Taking the medication on time. At times, symptoms go away, but completing the full medication course as prescribed by the doctor is required in order to completely get rid of the bacteria.
- Gonorrhea medicines should not be shared with anyone
- Consulting the doctor every three months to ensure that the disease is fully cured
- To make sure that your partner gets treated along with you in order to mitigate the risk of recurrence. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.