Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Sumana MageshYour feedback matters!
Good Evening. Please do not discard my request. Please read my problem completely. 3 years back my mother suffered TIA attack something like paralytic stroke after treatment she recovered and takes Telma 20, Deplatt 75, Calaptin 40 mg and Avas 5mg. Everything was going on well even though she had little weakness and did not get her complete strength. But however after 3 years suddenly last week she complained of pain in Right hand a pulling like tight feeling then suddenly she felt her Right hand is very weak and is not like her left hand and felt tingling sensation in fingers of Right hand and lost grip in her Right hand. We were very much worried as to what is this after 3 years again. So we took her to Apollo hospital where Dr. asked for few tests like Lipid profile, ECG, 2D ECHO and Carotid doppler some ultrasound tests. All her tests showed normal. So Doctor said nothing to worry reports are normal but it was again a symptom of TIA Paralytic stroke attack. Doctor changed Deplatt 75 to Deplatt 75 A. Which has (aspirin). Our Doctor said nothing to worry its just come and gone. But this put my family and especially my mother in a lot of fear as to why this stroke effect had come back after 3 years when BP and other reports are normal. I need your help to please tell me is anything serious going to happen to my mother? Is it any indication to serious health problem? She again lost her strength and her confidence of recovery and is having sleepless nights from 1 week. Please assist me. Will my mother be completely cured or will these attack keep coming and going. Please advice if any risk involved. Thanking you Shalini.
Antioxidants: What are they?
Antioxidants are free radical scavengers known to enhance our immunity. We know that fruits and vegetables with vibrant colors are great sources of antioxidants. Many times we wish that foods that taste delicious were as healthy as these fruits and veggies. Here is something to cheer you up. The foods listed below are not only tasty but also rich in antioxidants.
Antioxidants and their sources:
- Eggs: Egg yolk contains an antioxidants called “lutein”. Lutein is known to prevent muscular degeneration and cataracts. Though the lutein content in yolk is lesser than the lutein content of the green leafy veggies, but according to some studies the lutein from yolk is more effectively absorbed due to the fat content of the yolk.
- Tinned beans: Tinned beans contains phytochemicals. Phytochemicals repair damaged dna and also neutralize free radicals. Small red beans, dark kidney beans and black beans are rich in antioxidants. You can now enjoy your baked beans with a touch of health.
- Whole grain pasta/noodles: These whole grain dishes contain polyphenols. Polyphenols are strong anti-cancerous elements. Whole grain pasta and noodles contain 3 to 4 times more antioxidants than the regular ones. In combination to antioxidants these foods also contain good amount of fiber that help in regulating cholesterol levels.
- Yogurt: There is an additional health benefit to this yummy delight. Although it does not directly contain any antioxidants, it does contain riboflavin which enhances or promotes the activity of antioxidants glutathione. Riboflavin being a water soluble vitamin b, it easily flushes out of the body. You need to consume yogurt on a daily basis to be benefited.
- Organic milk: Organic milk is the milk obtained from cows that feed on organic food. The antioxidant value of this milk is 40 to 50 times greater than the cows raised in a conventional manner. Antioxidants like vitamin e, lutein and beta carotene are present in it. Organic cheese and butter are other options you may choose.
- Popcorn: Popcorn is not only a fast and favorite snack, but it also is good in its fiber and antioxidant content. A study carried out by the university of scranton revealed that the whole grain snack foods such as popcorn have surprisingly high levels of polyphenols which have anti-cancerous properties.
- Natural sweeteners: Natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar contain good amount of anti oxidants. Darker the color of honey, greater is its antioxidant content. The non-commercial varieties of honey contain poly phenol. Adding these natural sweeteners in your dessert instead of table sugar does have some added benefit.
- Canola oil: Canola oil contains alpha-tocopherol. Alpha-tocopherol prevents the oxidation of bad cholesterol (ldl), preventing the release of free radicals. No wonder canola oil is considered to be heart-healthy oil.
After eating any sweet my wife is getting itching in clitoris. Could you pls possible reasons and solution for that.
I am of 29 female. My period lasts 2 days since last year. Normal bleeding not heavy bleed. Not any pain in wastes. Maybe any problem in future in my pregnancy due to less days period?
While some diseases and medical conditions affect people all over the world, there are some that are prevalent only amongst a certain cultural group or region. Dhat roga or Dhat syndrome is one such culturally bound syndrome that affects men in the Indian subcontinent region including India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. In some cases, it may also affect the women of this region.
The word ‘Dhat’ originates from the Sanskrit word ‘Dhatu’ meaning ‘elixir of the body’. The condition was first described in 1960 by Dr Narendra Wig as a condition marked by psychosomatic symptoms such as fatigue, anxiety and sexual dysfunction caused by the passing of a whitish fluid or whitish particles that are believed to be semen in the urine. Other symptoms that person with this condition might express include weakness, lack of appetite, poor concentration and guilt.
How dhat is different from sperm leakage and premature ejaculation?
Dhat is the name given to the collective symptoms, such as sexual, psychological, and physical related to the passing of a whitish fluid, believed to be semen in urine. This is usually followed by psychological distress and anxiety due to semen-loss in patients. The word ‘dhat’ is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘dhatu’ which means ‘metal’ and/or ‘elixir’. Whereas, sperm leakage is a sexual dysfunction which happens due to weak parasympathetic nerves. What happens here is that seminal fluid oozes out of a flaccid penis. This is said to happen due to over masturbation. Dhat, on the other hand, is passing of seminal fluid in urine. And, premature ejaculation is something that happens at the time of coitus. In this, the male is unable to sustain an erection long enough for penetration and ‘comes’ prematurely. In this condition, penetrative sex doesn’t happen or happens for too short a period of time to satisfy the partner.
In the dhat syndrome, males usually believe that they have premature ejaculation and suffer from impotence apart from just leaking the white seminal fluid during urination. This loss frightens them into developing a sense of depression as the fear of semen loss is very strong in the subcontinent. Young men from a rural background or of a lower socioeconomic status typically complain of this syndrome. It may be further categorised under three heads:
- Only Dhat: In this case, the patients present with hypochondriacally oriented symptoms attributed to the loss of semen
- Dhat accompanied by anxiety or depression: In this case depression or anxiety is the core condition that may be accompanied by Dhat
- Dhat accompanied by sexual dysfunction: In such cases, the patient may complain of erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation or other psychosexual dysfunction conditions such as depressive neurosis, somatoform/ hypochondriasis or anxiety neurosis.
- Fatigue and listlessness
- Appetite loss
- Lack of physical strength
- Poor concentration and forgetfulness
- Sexual dysfunction
Common misconceptions about the disease
There are a number of misconceptions about dhat. Most patients think that the semen loss during urination will make them impotent or someway weaker sexually. This anxiety can be traced back thousands of years to certain Ayurvedic treatises in which the loss of a single drop of semen, the most precious body fluid, was enough to weaken the whole body. This cultural belief leads to a lot of stigma, guilt and depression related to dhat.
The morbid hypochondriacal fear that is associated with dhat syndrome is also stuff that myths are made of. Patients believe that dhat will irreversibly harm their bodies and they will be unable to produce male offspring, and that dhat will cause a death of offspring at an early age, lead to the birth of a malformed fetus; or cause anaemia, leprosy, tuberculosis, permanent impotency, and shrinking of the penis.
Factors apart from reproductive health which results in Dhat roga
- Nerves are responsible for keeping the semen locked in during a normal state in men. When nerves get weak, semen is discharged during urination or while doing normal activities in the form of a white discharge, called dhat.
- This problem further strains other organs like liver and a poorly functioning liver increases weakness related to muscles and also reduces energy levels, fat metabolism, and contaminates blood.
- Prostatitis, a disease of the prostate gland which secretes seminal fluids can also aggravate dhat.
- A weak digestive system, prone to constipation and piles also causes dhat. This is seen as a white discharge while defecation.
Modern science has not been able to understand an organic evolution of this condition and hence has no form of medication to treat it. Hence, it is often considered a neurotic condition. According to Ayurveda, apart from excessive masturbation and a weak reproductive health, conditions such as weak digestion, constipation and prostatitis can also trigger the symptoms of Dhat roga.
Ayurveda believes that the body always functions as a complete entity and hence no condition can be isolated and treated. Hence when treating diseases, it approaches it through changes in the person’s diet, exercise and lifestyle, mental health and overall physical health. In the case of treatment for Dhat roga, it is important for the doctor to first correct the patient’s erroneous beliefs and listen to the person before medicating him.
Tips and treatments in Ayurveda
Ayurveda postulates leading a controlled sexual life to counteract dhat.
- Charaka samhita postulates that semen is all pervasive within the body like "oil in the sesamic seed" and suggests one ejaculation per week in summer and 168 total yearly ejaculations as the optimal sexual frequency for males.
- Over-indulgence in sex and especially masturbation can cause an imbalance in the dhatus with a resultant physical illness called dhat.
- Use herbs which enhance energy and performance of the reproductive system. These herbs will remove debility and weakness and will elevate levels of testosterone hormone in the body to rejuvenate and re-energize the reproductive system.
- These pills also contain herbs which strengthen, repair and stimulate nerves and maintain an optimum supply of energy throughout the day to prevent semen discharge with urine.
- Shilajit is a herb that is known for enhancing sexual potency. Shilajit capsules come loaded with herbs which supplement minerals and nutrients in a bio-available form to remove deficiencies improving the functioning of organs and muscles to counteract fatigue.
Regular counselling is often advocated in such cases along with anti-anxiety and anti-depression medication. Medication may also be prescribed to keep semen from leaking into the urine. The patient is also taught to relax so as to ensure the smooth functioning of the genitourinary system. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.
I had unprotected sex yesterday with my girlfriend and she is not getting her periods since 2 months. So is there any chance of getting pregnancy?
Few days back while passing urine blood also came out but I am not sure it passes through urine passage or from back. I am female of 25 years. Kindly tell me is it symptom of any disease.
I am 40 years old female. Having fibroids problem and severe abdominal pain during periods. Consulted 2 doctors already and advised to remove uterus. Need advise. Is there any alternate?
सुबह की आठ गलतियों से बचें
क्या सुबह उठने पर आपका मिजाज हमेशा खराब रहता है? क्या आप सुबह का नाश्ता नहीं करते? कुछ ऐसे उपाए हैं जिनसे आप अपनी सुबह की अच्छी शुरुआत कर सकते हैं.
1. झटके से ना उठें: सुबह धीमी गति का समय है. सुबह उठते समय खुदको समय दें और मांसपेशियों को धीरे धीरे हिलाएं. नींद खुलते ही हड़बड़ाना नहीं चाहिए. सुबह की गलतियों का हमारे दिन की गुणवत्ता पर बुरा असर पड़ता है और लंबे समय में इसका गंभीर प्रभाव हमारे स्वास्थ्य और तंदुरुस्ती पर भी होता है. कुछ मिनट शांति से बिताएं, लंबी सांसें लें और कमरे के तापमान का पानी पिएं.
2. स्ट्रेचिंग: जब हम उठते हैं तब हमारी मांसपेशियां खासकर रीढ़ कठोर होती है. सुबह उठकर बिना स्ट्रेचिंग किए हम इस कड़ेपन को आगे ढोते हैं. इससे भी हमारे पूरे दिन के कामकाज पर बुरा असर होता है. सुबह उठने के साथ शरीर को हल्के हल्के हिलाएं. अगर हैमस्ट्रिंग और पिंडलियों में खिंचाव महसूस हो तो धीरे से स्ट्रेचिंग करें और लंबी सांसें लें.
3. दिन की शुरुआत: अच्छे चयापचय का राज सुबह में चाय के साथ शुरूआत नहीं, बल्कि क्षारीय पदार्थ है. सुबह उठकर नींबू का रस और पानी लेना चाहिए और उसके बाद ही चाय या फिर ग्रीन टी का सेवन करना चाहिए.
4. फोन और ईमेल: सुबह उठते ही अपने फोन और ईमेल को चेक करने से बचना चाहिए. ऐसे सोचिए कि आपको उठने के दो घंटे के भीतर ही दुनिया भर की समस्याएं नहीं सुलझानी हैं. आपकी ऊर्जा को सबसे अहम काम पर केंद्रित करना चाहिए ना कि सबसे गैरजरूरी काम पर. सुबह सुबह ईमेल चेक करने से आपकी उत्पादकता नहीं बढ़ सकती. इसके उलटत आपका मिजाज खराब हो सकता है.
5. सुबह का नाश्ता: हाल की कुछ रिपोर्टों में सुबह का नाश्ता नहीं करने को मोटापे, डायबिटीज और कमजोर प्रतिरक्षा से जोड़ा गया है. जरूरी नहीं है कि आप महाराजाओं की तरह नाश्ता करें लेकिन यह जरूरी है कि कुछ खाएं. सुबह के समय ब्लड शुगर का स्तर कम होता है क्योंकि डिनर और नाश्ते के बीच लंबा अंतराल होता है. अगर उठने के आधे घंटे के भीतर कुछ नहीं खाते हैं तो स्तर और गिर जाता है और हम सुस्त हो जाते हैं.
6. तुनकमिजाज: कई ऐसे लोग होते हैं जो सुबह उठकर हर किसी पर चीखते चिल्लाते हैं. लेकिन सुबह का खराब मिजाज सिर्फ 20 मिनट तक रहता है. अपनी सुबह को बेहतर बनाने के लिए प्राकृतिक शांतिदायक आवाजों को सुनें, जैसे चिड़ियों का चहचहाना, सागर की आवाज और मंत्रों का जाप.
7. दिन की योजना: एक दिन पहले ही अगले सुबह की तैयारी कर लें. जैसे दफ्तर के लिए कपड़े तैयार करना और रात में नाश्ते का इंतजाम कर लेना, तो आपकी सुबह जरूर ज्यादा सुकूनभरी होगी और दिन की अच्छी शुरुआत होगी.
8. सिगरेट और कैफीन: बहुत से लोग उठते ही सिगरेट जला लेते हैं या फिर कड़क कॉफी पीते हैं, लंबे समय तक ऐसा करने का शरीर पर बहुत बुरा असर होता है. सुबह उठते ही एक गिलास पानी पीजिए और पाचन तंत्र के लिए फायदेमंद कोई फल खाइए. इसके बाद ही कॉफी पीजिए.
I missed my period for this month. Home pregnancy test showed negative. Wat should I do to knw reason for missed period this is first time I missed. Worried.
I had given birth to baby before 5 nd a half month n till nw my periods hs nt been started and after delivery also it was jst for 28 days. Is this normal?
Hi doctor I had my physical relationship with my bf without taking any precautions on 7 april I took ipill on 9th april after that I did same for 8 days on 16th april after having sex I got bleed nd had periods immediately I took I pill and for ten days but I have not got periods but today is 28 may I have not got periods I am too much worried about that.
I have 2 sons my second son is 10 months old both my sons r born by operation my question is after delivery then after how many months I can start doing exercise can I use the sliming belt too.
With increasing globalization and lifestyle changes, even general practitioners are getting more and more young patients willing to adopt contraceptive measures. An optimum clinical choice of contraceptive can only be done through a mutual discussion between the physician and patient taking into consideration both clinical aspects and patient's choice. This article gives a brief general summary of the methods of contraception.
Contraception is the process of taking steps to ensure about not becoming pregnant after having sex. There are different types of contraceptive measures. They all have pros and cons. Different methods will be right for different couples, or right at different times in life.
Types of contraceptives:
* percentages mentioned within brackets are failure rates
It involves the use of estrogen and progesterone to prevent fertilization; associated with a 2-3% failure rate.
Oral contraceptive pills suppress the action of fsh/lh from the pituitary gland, they also suppress the lh surge, alter the cervical mucosa to inhibit penetration by spermatozoa, and they inhibit atrophic change in the endometrium.
Complications: venous thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, cva, mi, htn, amenorrhea, cholelithiasis, hepatocellular adenoma. Risks increase with smoking.
Contraindications: dvt, pe, cvd, cva, pregnancy, cancer, abnormal lfts
Monophasic (fixed combination: take estrogen and progesterone on days 1-21 and placebo on days 22-28. Increased estrogen increases the side effects of a headache, weight gain, nausea, and edema decreased estrogen and progesterone increase the risk of breakthrough bleeding and increases the failure rate.
Multiphasic: low-dose estrogen with varying doses of progesterone on days 1-21.
Progestin-only pills: not as effective and can cause breakthrough bleeding.
Levonorgestrel: lasts up to five years.
Medroxyprogesterone: lasts three months.
Decreases the risk of ovarian and endometrial cancer and decreased the risk of ectopic pregnancy.
It involves the insertion of a small device into the uterus with the hopes of inhibiting implantation, altering tubal motility, or inflaming the endometrium.
Intrauterine contraceptive devices are associated with a relatively low failure rate (2-4% pregnancy rate) but do suffer from a higher rate of complications (e. G, four times increased the risk of ectopic pregnancy).
Intrauterine device (iud) with progestogen: it releases progesterone and must be replaced annually.
Iud with copper-t: it contains copper and can last up to 4-6 years.
Increased blood loss and duration of menses, increased dysmenorrhea
Expulsion of iud, pregnancy, perforation of the uterine wall when inserted, increased risk of tubo-ovarian abscess (esp. Among younger nulliparous females with greater than ;1 sex partner). Pid is not as common with the newer iuds but still a significant risk factor.
Indicated for: multiparous women greater than 35 years who smoke.
Concerns about pelvic infections and subsequent fertility often limit the use of iucds to women who are at low risk for sexually transmitted disease and to those less likely to desire further children, i. E, monogamous multigravid patients.
It involves the use of an artificial device to inserted into the vagina or fitted to the penis with the intent to retain the products of intercourse.
Condoms: condoms have a 2% failure rate in consistent couples and a 10% failure rate in occasional users. They are best indicated for std prevention.
Vaginal diaphragms: they have a 15-20% failure rate, but when combined with a spermicidal jelly and left in for 6-8 hours post-coitus failure rate declines to 2%. Diaphragms are associated with side effects of bladder irritation and cystitis, also colonization with s. Aureus if left in too long.
Cervical caps: they must be properly fitted and can be left in for a longer time than the diaphragm.
It has a 15- 20% failure rate and involves the use of sponges and spermicides.
Spermicides contain surfactants to disrupt cervical membranes; placed in the vagina up to 30 minutes before intercourse.
It involves the avoidance of intercourse from an onset of menses to 2-days post ovulation.
This method involves manipulation of parts of male and female anatomy such that conception is prevented by failure and gametes to combine.
Vasectomy: lesser than 1% failure and can be successfully reversed in some cases.
Tubal ligation: lesser than 1% failure rate. Increase risk of ectopic.
Emergency contraception pills - emergency contraception can be used if one had sex without using contraception; or if someone had sex but there was a mistake with contraception.
Emergency contraception options are usually very effective if started within 3-5 days of unprotected sex. The earlier you take this pill, the more effective it is. It works either by preventing or postponing ovulation or by preventing the fertilized egg from settling in the womb (uterus).
A proper patient counseling informing the success rate and complication of contraception should be an integral part of the treatment regime.