Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Urologists in India. You will find Urologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Urologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Srinivasan L V
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment of H.I.V
Hydrocele Treatment (Surgical)
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Urology Minimally Invasive Surgery
Kidney Transplant Treatment
Blood In Urine (Hematuria) Treatment
Reconstructive Surgery Procedures
Transurethral Resection Of The Prostate (Turp) Pro
Reconstructive Urology Surgery
Minimally Invasive Urology Surgery
Transurethral Incision Of The Prostate (Tuip) Proc
Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy Procedure
Open Prostatectomy Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Srinivasan L VYour feedback matters!
Those two, small bean-shaped organs are indeed essential for a perfectly healthy life. To check if a person is dead or living, medical practitioners need to confirm response from three organs of the human body heart, brain and kidneys. Kidneys absorb impurities from the blood, thus, purifying it and lead to the production of urine. Urine is necessary to rid your system of body wastes. Kidneys play a key role in maintaining hormone balance. The presence of any factor that could impede free functioning of this organ should be diagnosed, treated and eliminated at the earliest possible. Kidney diseases and subsequent kidney failure see no age bar. It affects both young and old people. In case of younger folks, the symptoms take years to surface and thus the chances of a fatal outcome are even higher.
Causes of kidney failure at a tender age:
- Chain smoking is a trigger: Smokers suffer from a higher risk of kidney failure. Smoking is a bad habit that has engulfed almost ninety percent of young adults. Irrespective of awareness programs and warning messages, there are millions who smoke nonchalantly. Smoking is known to impair kidney function which again can have frightening implications.
- High blood pressure levels must be controlled: Since stress is a common phenomenon among most individuals high blood pressure is also prevalent among a majority of these individuals. Younger people suffer from high blood pressure due to workplace politics and familial tensions. High blood pressure should not be taken lightly. Exercising and regular medications should be opted for in order to counter the threat of kidney failure at a young age.
- If you are obese, you are stepping closer to the threat: If not optimal; being close to the optimal body weight is very necessary to keep health disorders in check. If you are obese, you are not safe; one must make efforts to lose weight or else face the alarming situation when his or her kidneys fail to function properly.
- Consumption of junk food can cause complications: Junk food is fatty. One must keep away from high-protein and high-fat diet. Food items rich in protein and fats can push you towards chronic kidney diseases.
- Genetics may discern the health of your kidneys: The incidence of kidney failure in your family history can make you prone to a similar condition. Extra care should be taken to avoid any such possibility. Regular health check-ups should be undertaken. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
I am 24 years old. I hav 3 mm stone in d upper pole renal calculus. Its not flushing out nd I do not want any surgery. Pls help.
Dear Doctor, The problem is with my 1-year-old Niece, currently in Dubai. She has been having repeated urinary infections and after further checkup, the doctor there determined that she had a blockage in the upper part one of her kidneys which was causing her repeated infections. The doctor there recommends she have that portion of her kidney removed. Until then she is put on daily dosage of septran- Paediatric Suspension (Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole. I would like to get a second opinion on the same and would be glad to follow up on the same towards the second week of October when they are visiting India. I am attaching copies of a nuclear scan (99mTc DTPA Diuretic Renal Scan), maturating cystourethrogram, and CT abdomen.
I have got evidence of 5.2mms calculus at mid pole calyx of left kidney in USG compare to 5mms size in last report 4 months back. It started with 4.5 mm in 9 months back. Is it advisable to tale himalaya cystone to cure my stone problem.
My father aged 85 years. For last one day there is a small motion while discharge urine. Suggest any medication please.
Main fissure se pidit tha logo ne mujhe gay ki tarah torture kiya 3 sal tak or ab mai kabhi gay ki tarah kabhi bisexuals kabhi sahi (matlab thik hu) mahsus kr rah hu ab mujhe kya krna chahiye kyoki es badlte vyavahar ke karan mujhe logo se bhi dar lagne laga hai please tell me.
Hi doctor My husband hs stone in right kidney please suggest some medicine as soon as possible. He z in pain.
There is a rich concentration of minerals in the kidneys, and when there is no sufficient medium to clear it out, these can form small crystals within the urinary tract and can settle anywhere along the urinary tract. Stones can, therefore, be found in any part of the kidney and the ureters, which connect the kidney to the bladder.
The pain that is associated with kidney stones is very diagnostic. It includes a sharp shooting pain in the back of the abdomen, on either side of the spine. Kidney stones tend to be recurrent, and so patients who have had an episode would be able to tell when they have kidney stone pain.
When the size of the stone is less than 4 mm, it is usually passed through urine and eliminated from the system. However, if it is more than that, shock waves are used from an external source to break the bigger stones into smaller ones, which then get eliminated from the body through the kidneys on their own.
Ways to manage kidney stones
Immediate relief measures would include intravenous injections of pain relievers, which will help in getting rid of the pain. An additional shot may be required after a while for people suffering from severe pain. Also most people present with severe nausea and vomiting may require anti-emetics for the same. When being sent home, they may be given these medications to be continued at home.
Once you are home, the doctor may ask you to drink lots of water (up to 3 liters of water) and strain the urine to collect the stone as it is passed. The urine turning colourless is an indication that the water intake is adequate. If there is any colour in the urine, water intake should be increased.
Immediate admission to the hospital may be required in the following conditions:
- In people with one kidney where the stone has already come down to the ureter
- Persistently high fever of up to 104 with shaking and chills
- Elderly people, greater than 60 years of age
- Severe dehydration and vomiting
- No improvement of symptoms after an hour of treatment
Larger kidney stones would be removed by one of the following methods:
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL): This is the most common mode of treatment, where shock waves are used to break down the stones into smaller segments, which are then passed out through the urine.
- Ureteroscopy: This involves passing a tube from the urethra all the way up to the bladder to retrieve the stone.