Lybrate.com has an excellent community of ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. Siddarthar RathnaswamyYour feedback matters!
Our ears are small in size, but ‘big’ in the work they do. Not only do they help us hear, but also help us maintain our body’s balance. They thus help us stand, walk, drive…you just name it.
Ears are also much bigger in size than they actually are. The part of the ear that we see on our head is only the external ear, there is a middle ear and an inner ear too, silently carrying out complex functions related to hearing and balance. The middle ear that lies behind your ear drum is the seat of balance. And this part is hit hard at the time of an ear infection.
Ear infections cause the Eustachian tubes – small tubes that connect the middle ear to the back of your throat – to become swollen and blocked due to excess mucus. As a result of this, fluid builds up and inflammation takes root in the middle ear, thereby causing pain.
Ear infections can be acute or chronic. Acute infections clear up in a few days, but chronic ones reoccur frequently. If not managed, chronic ear infections can cause permanent damage to the middle and inner ear.
Causes of Eustachian tube blockage are as follows:
- Sinus infection
- Extreme production of mucus
- Infected adenoid, which is a tissue near your tonsils that traps harmful bacteria and viruses
There are a few risk factors associated with ear infections. It can be said that young children are more susceptible to these infections. This is because their Eustachian tubes are short and narrow. It has also been seen that infants who are bottle-fed have a higher incidence of ear infections than breastfed babies.
Other risk factors are:
- Changes in altitude
- Changes in climate
- Exposure to tobacco smoke
- Use of pacifiers
Symptoms of ear infections:
- Pain or discomfort inside the ear
- A prolonged feeling of pressure inside the ear
- Pus-like ear drainage
- Hearing loss
What is also important to know is that the symptoms of an ear infection come and go.
Symptoms can also occur in one or both ears. Chronic ear infection symptoms can be less noticeable than those of acute ear infections.
Hence, fever and ear ache should spur you to see a doctor. You should be extremely careful with babies younger than six months who have fever or ear infection symptoms.
Your doctor will diagnose an ear infection by checking if there is a draining of fluid from the middle ear, perforation in the eardrum or a collapsed eardrum.
Sometimes, ear infections can lead to the following serious complications:
- Hearing loss
- Speech or language delay in children
- An infection in a skull bone called mastoiditis
- Ruptured ear drum
I had tonsillitis before 2 months, and it happened for 2 times, is there any chances to happen again? Is there any treatment of tonsillitis?
There is a problem in my throat it's caused pain. Nose flu in any season. And back pain.Please suggest somthing.
I'm really causing frustration to my roommates because of my snoring Please kindly tell me the best and fastest way to get rid of this problem Thanking you in advance.
Earaches can make life miserable. At times, the pain gets so intense that it throws life in jeopardy. This is where homeopathic medicines come as a huge relief. Earaches of different origins can be effectively treated with homeopathic medicines.
- Chamomilla: Chamomilla is the best homeopathic relief for people suffering from excruciating earache. The pain usually aggravates at night. The maddening pain leaves the person mentally very agitated. The medicine is equally helpful for children who get agitated and irritated due to the unbearable pain.
- Pulsatilla: At times, the earache is accompanied by a thick (mostly greenish) discharge from the ear. As a result, the ear feels quite heavy. A person might also experience difficulty in hearing. The darting pain is at its worst self at night. Such earaches and associated symptoms are best treated with the homeopathic medicine, Pulsatilla.
Sometimes, even a little exposure to cold air can result in earaches. Worse still, there is a pus like discharge from the ear and fever. The ear is very sensitive to touch. Hepar Sulph is an ideal homeopathic remedy under such circumstances. Psorinum is mainly used when the pus like discharge has a very unpleasant odour.
At times, dental problems and throat infections can result in severe earache. Homeopathy has a solution for all. Plantago is an excellent homeopathic medicine to treat earaches resulting from toothache. Merc Sol is effective against earaches originating from dental problems. In such cases, there may be blood or yellow discharge from the ear and the pain gets unbearable at night.
Lachesis and Phytolacca are known to provide great relief from earaches resulting from throat infections. Lachesis is helpful when the throat pain slowly shoots up to the left ear. Swallowing of food makes the situation worse. Phytolacca, on the other hand, is the best medicine when the shooting ear pain is right sided. Belladonna helps to deal with severe and throbbing ear pain.
Infection of the Otitis Media (middle ear) is a common factor, resulting in earaches. There may be fever and pus like discharge. The hearing is also greatly impaired. At night, the pain reaches the superlative degree. Go for Hepar Sulph if the pain intensifies upon slightest exposure to cold air. Use Belladonna in case the ear infection is at a very nascent stage. Pulsatilla is equally effective to treat such earaches.
Many a times, the ear pain can be of nerve origin. It is more of a facial pain, with the ear being affected. Verbascum Thapsus (Mullein Oil) can be of great help and can also be effectively used as an ear drop to provide some relief. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.
What are the cause for snoring. How we can stop it instantly. Permanently. Asking for my husband whose age is 38.
Hi, These are the symptoms I found. Previously I worked as a teacher. Currently I am working as a medical coder. As doctors suggested everything is clear. Could you please suggest any medicine. I am from Vizag. It is very difficult for me to travel. Please do the needful. Change in pitch Reduced pitch range Difficulty in speaking loudly / softly Pain / scratchy feeling in the throat while or after speaking Repeated sore throats / chronic throat irritation. Need to clear the throat frequently Breaks in the voice Feeling of lump in the throat Tremors or shakiness in the voice Strained strangled quality to your voice Voice drops to a whisper as you speak Voice use is effortful. Mostly I am taking more breath while talking and aspiration and sometimes getting sweat while speaking Mostly I am taking more breath while talking and aspiration and sometimes getting sweat while speaking.
I am having a throat pain since last one month nd it comes suddenly and goes I tried gargilling and all bt of no use, I got a pack 6 years smoking history.
Hi one of my frend has nose blockage issue from last 6 months she done everything even all X-ray, nothing come out in case x ray check with many doctors take many medicine but still not cure have same issue having some time problem with taking breath. Now taking homeopathic medicine but still situation is same. please help her.
My dad is 60 year old. He has giddiness from last one month. His blood pressure is fluctuating every day. Today his blood pressure is 140/90. He was suggested to take infection tablets and cold tablets. Can you tell me the exact reason..
How can we overcome weak immune system prone to frequent cold and throat ache. Is diet helpful in overcoming this issue. Pl suggest apart from ignoring cold stuff that is already taken care of.
Why blood coming from throat when doing tongue cleaning from two days please say the reason and solution.
I am 61 my name is yogesh my problem is that whenever i walk in the morning after bath i feel dizziness for some time. My bp is normal and my general health condition is good.
There are various type of nosebleed that can be caused by a variety of conditions. While some of them may not be too serious, one must never ignore heavy and persistent nosebleed. Nosebleeds are of two kinds: anterior nosebleed and posterior nosebleed. While 90% of all nosebleeds are anterior nosebleeds, the posterior nosebleeds are far less common and may be slightly more serious in nature. An anterior nosebleed is usually caused in the blood vessels that lie on the front portion of the nose and can be controlled easily. A posterior nosebleed usually comes from damage to an artery in the rear portion of the nose. Infection, trauma, allergic reactions and other such causes may be behind a nosebleed.
Let us cast a glance on the tips to prevent nosebleeds.
- Salt water and saline nose drops can be used in order to prevent nosebleeds. It is important to take these on a regular basis in case you are experiencing these nosebleeds on a regular basis.
- You can also consult doctor, who may prescribe blood thinners so that the blood does not clot and lead to a nosebleed. You will need to ensure that you take such medication only when the doctor prescribes the same.
- The use of painkillers like Aspirin and other non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs must be limited. Sometimes, taking such medication too frequently may lead to nosebleeds.
- You would do well to control your blood pressure because hypertension and other forms of high blood pressure can also cause nosebleeds. Lifestyle changes like your diet and exercise can help in keeping a more stable blood pressure level so that you do not fall prey to frequent nosebleeds.
- Humidify your home with a humidifier so that the air does not get too dry. Many times, this causes nosebleeds. Also, you may want to keep the heat down in the bedrooms. Many nosebleeds happen due to too warm temperatures while you are sleeping.
- Nose picking should also be discouraged as it can lead to nosebleeds in case there is a scratch or any other kind of damage when you try to force the dirt out.
- It has also been found that smoking has a connection with nosebleeds. This can be fixed if the patient quits smoking.
- One should not use nasal sprays without a prescription from a doctor. This also includes antihistamines, decongestants as well as other medicated sprays. These may not suit the patient at all times, and may also lead to nosebleeds.
In the event of a nosebleed, you will need to lean forward with your head tilted backwards. This will stem the bleeding. If it is possible, you must also try and lie down immediately for a few minutes.