Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dermatologists in India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dermatologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Chemical Peels Treatment
Derma Roller Treatment
Hair Mesotherapy Treatment
Nail Surgery Procedures
Restylane Vital Procedure
Vampire Face Lift Procedures
Facial Rejuvenation Treatment
Hair Restoration Techniques
Line And Wrinkle Smoothing Procedures
Mole Removal Procedure
Mole Removal Surgery
Skin Polishing Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. ShobaYour feedback matters!
I am suffering from hair loss prob and chin pain prob bcoz of stitches. Can you suggest me what should I do+??
I am suffering with hair fall from last three year I use many shampoos and oil but no change in my hair. I want known some solutions for this.
I want to ask you one question answer that my eyesight is decreasing because I use laptop at night continuously for more than 4-5 hours and also suggest me some steps to remove blackheads.
My face is burning due to sun rays. Now Face skin changed darker and black. Both Cheek of face is look like got black and dark mark. My feeling down. How I change my face color to good and white again. With no mark on face.
I found some pimples on my scrotum and I am facing rubbing or say frictional irritation around my genital area. This irritates more when I am sweating. Irritation on thigh region around the groin . Please suggest me some remedy.
Hi doctors. I'm losing my hair daily. From my scalp and now have thin hair on my bald. please give me solution for how to grow new hair and cure baldness problem.
Hi, my query is regarding my sister. She is 27 years old unmarried girl having acne and hair fall or frontal hair baldness problem. I want to know the cause of illness. Can she take Estrnon tablet for this.
Plz can you gave a good menu plan fr a week to get a flawless fair glowing skin. I am 51 years old n have bleeding piles n thyroid. Thank you.
I konw I am telling my problem that is thay on my face there are lot of pimples and I feel very bad I don to no ko that how to remove dark spots from my face please hlp me.
My son is suffering from sweat rashes since few days. So please Suggest solution/guidelines for my child.
What is Razor Bump (Pseudofolliculitis Barbae)?
It is an inflammatory reaction to the hair shaft entering the skin, most common in blacks who shave regularly.
Who gets razor bumps?
About 50% of black males are said to be affected. Other races can also be affected. Though the condition is most commonly reported in men, women who remove unwanted hair also suffer from this condition.
Causes of Razor Bumps-
The condition is caused by both genetic factors and various hair removal methods.
- Curved hair follicles and curly hair
- A defect in the gene for the hair protein keratin 6hf
Hair removal methods may cause razor bumps by either creating a sharp hair tip that re-enters the skin away from the hair pore (extrafollicular penetration) or by the hair shaft breaking off at different lengths and piercing the follicle from within the skin (transfollicular penetration). An inflammatory reaction is then set up in response to the hair fragments lying in the skin. The following methods may cause razor bumps:
- Ingrown hairs
- Red, skin coloured or dark bumps
- Bumps containing pus
What are the complications of razor bumps?
- Pigmentary problems (darkening of the area most common)
- Abscess formation
- Psychological problems
Razor bumps are most common on the beard, however they have been reported to occur on the pubic area, legs and scalp.
There are several treatment options to deal with razor bumps already present. They include:
- Alpha-hydroxy acids
- Chemical peels
Prevention of Razor Bumps:
It is true to say that 'prevention is better than cure'. Here are the preventions-
- Laser hair removal is the best method of removing unwanted hair in individuals affected with this condition. The laser device is programmed to selectively target the pigment in the hair follicle, destroying it, while leaving the skin intact.
- Electrical clippers are found by many to cause less bumps than razors. If one must shave it is important to avoid a close shave to help prevent razor bumps. The following is a guide to safer shaving methods:
- Brush hairs with polyester sponge before shaving.
- Wash beard, use pre-shave cream or gel.
- Avoid double and triple blade razors.
- Shave in the direction of hair growth.
- Do not pull the skin taut.
- Use a sharp blade, rinse after each stroke.
- Apply a cold compress after shaving, then a soothing aftershave preparation.
- Clipping hairs with a small pair of facial scissors is an option for women with few unwanted hairs.
- Chemical depilatories (hair removal creams) are another option for hair removal.
- Electrolysis is a permanent method of hair removal but requires several sessions. It is operator dependent and can cause bumps and scarring. Waxing and tweezing also have the potential to cause bumps.
- Eflornithine hydrochloride is a cream that slows the growth of hair and therefore can be used in combination with a hair removal method. It is marketed for women with unwanted facial hair.
- Anti-androgen drugs can be used in females who have hirsutism (male pattern hair growth e.g. beard hairs)