Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shiva Kumar
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Teeth Cleaning (Scaling) Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Shiva KumarYour feedback matters!
I haven't been able to sleep since many days and I am having teeth pain, I have tried multiple home remedies but didn't work, what to do? Please help me!
Your tongue not only helps you in tasting, kissing, chewing or talking, but also helps in maintaining good oral health and hygiene. Since your tongue is exposed to a lot of bacteria and acid while you eat, taking proper care of it is of utmost importance. Not doing so can lead to the development of a whitish layer over your tongue, along with giving rise to bad breath. Not only that, an excess of bacteria on your tongue is harmful for your teeth and can cause tooth decay.
When you clean your tongue properly, you enhance your sense of taste and bid adieu to a host of oral health problems. Here are some handy tips on taking care of your tongue:
- Cleaning your tongue every time you brush with a tongue cleaner can put an end to bacteria growth in your mouth. Make sure to use either a tongue cleaner or a toothbrush with a dedicated tongue cleaner to clean your tongue. Also, clean your tongue in a downward motion to expel all the accumulated bacteria, and never apply a lot of pressure when doing so.
- Apply a thin layer of your toothpaste on your tongue before cleaning it. This makes removing bacteria from your tongue that much easier.
- After every time you're done cleaning your tongue, rinse your mouth thoroughly with water. Also, make sure to use a mouthwash once in a while, as that keeps foul odour at bay. Although, using a mouthwash daily is not advised as it can cause dryness in the mouth.
- A saline water solution to rinse your mouth can keep your tongue clean. All you need is a glass of lukewarm water with half a teaspoon of salt for this.
- Drinking green tea is particularly good for your tongue as it reduces the bacteria in your mouth to a great extent, preventing various oral health problems as a result.
- Foods that are high on natural or added colours (such as berries, black grapes or orange ice popsicles) should be avoided as they leave a thin layer of color behind on your tongue, which can mar its appearance.
- Sometimes, a whitish layer on your tongue can be a sign of a fungal infection, in which case you should go for a professional clean-up.
- Drinking lots of water is good for your tongue as it helps in washing out all the accumulated food and bacteria. Also, discoloration of the tongue can often be caused by dehydration, which is why drinking adequate amounts of water that is 10-12 glasses a day is vital.
Related Tip: "5 Reasons To Get Regular Dental Cleaning"
Gum bleeding is a severe kind of oral trouble and it needs to be resolved as soon as possible otherwise it might get converted into a serious issue. There are some simple ways by means of which bleeding gums can be stopped.
5 ways to prevent bleeding of gums
- Have a healthy diet: Oral health can only be preserved well by maintaining a healthy diet, and this can also prevent bleeding gums. Fruits and veggies are included in this kind of diet. These foods offer necessary nutrients, which get absorbed in your gums as a result of which gums stop bleeding. The state of your gums can be improved by adding those foods into your diet as these are enriched with magnesium, calcium, vitamin C and vitamin A.
- Improving dental care routine: Bleeding gums can be stopped by taking good care of the health of your gums, and this is possible only with the help of a regular dental check-up. Consult a dentist right away. Though flossing and brushing are needed for reducing gum inflammation and swelling, but still medical check-up is required in order to find out whether you are using the correct toothbrush, flossing solution and toothpaste or not. On the other hand, early stages of gum diseases causing bleeding can be detected and thus advanced stages can be easily prevented.
- Quit smoking: You should not continue smoking anymore in order to protect your gums from different troubles or diseases. Tobacco toxins keep on depositing over your gums due to consistent smoking thereby, causing severe troubles, and you might even face gum bleeding.
- Acute relaxation: If your stress levels somehow get increased, then in that case, you might face the trouble of gum bleeding. This is the reason you should steal some time from work for relaxation. You can also start practicing different kinds of stress-releasing therapies like yoga, meditation and other related ones. In this way, your mind troubles will be eliminated, stress level will be controlled, and finally immunity system can be strengthened as a result of which bleeding from the gums can be stopped.
- Stop sharing dental accessories: It has been found that most of the gum diseases are occurring due to sharing of dental accessories with your dear ones; especially toothbrush, braces and others. This will eventually spread affection and love, but along with that infectious gum diseases will also occur, which are highly unwanted. These diseases might lead to severe gum bleeding at times.