Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Shanti KarunakaranYour feedback matters!
For about 10 days am feeling too much pain in the legs, back and half of my head maybe due to acidity / gastric problem as my tongue is also white and tastes awful. Kindly suggest a remedy.
Hello docs! I had smoked weed (marijuana) and it wasn't my first time but dunno what happened that day suddenly I got so scared due to too high and I couldn't control. Since next morning I started feeling afraid and scary and my heart beat pounding too fast and I feel my hands and legs would shake. My mind is full of scary feelings and my left top side of chest start paining. I had gone for cardio and everything came clear. I feel pathetic about my condition and just wanna cry out loud. The pain is also not going. It reminds of that event again & again and I feel pity. The cardio doc had prescribed beta-blocker for a month but still I have pain in the top left side of chest and scary feelings.
This is a psychiatric or psychologist problem. I had a serious crush on a girl. When I met her she was in depression and had committed suicide attempts several times after her boyfriend broke up with her. I asked her to be my gf and she agreed. I thought I could love her to help her out if this misery. But its been 2 months, she says she loves me but not as much as her ex. She cries daily for sometime and misses him. But feels like she cannot live without him and will die without him. Sometimes she says he has recovered 80% and sometimes she has only 20%. I do not know what to do. I am damn serious for her and I love her. But she is serious for her ex. Now her ex wants her back What should I do to get her out of her ex? Or is this ever going to work?
This is Surabhi. My days are getting worse to worst I am unable to come out from those negative memories of my life that are continuously making me feel low and depressed, tell me doctor how to come out of this depression.
As soon as you're thinking clearly, express your frustration in an assertive but non confrontational way. State your concerns and needs clearly and directly, without hurting others or trying to control them.
I am a 25 years old from Bangalore I am a drug addicted person I had been using smoke cigerate gutkas pan etc I want to leave everything what medication an procedure should I used.
I am 25 year old I am suffering from depression I complete btech in 2013 but could not get job My family is also in problem due to me please help me.
I can't sleep because I still remember her. Even little things somewhere find associations with her. She cheated on me with her boss while I was busy making a life to be together with her. I'm broken completely mentally. I cry almost everyday. I can't get her out of my head. I have tried forgetting her but it just does not happen at all. I left my job in another country to be with her in India. And this is what she did to me. I've abused her after I found out, but even that isn't liberating enough. I'm broken down completely. Help me get out of this. I am only 26 and a huge career ahead of me. I need to take care of my parents too. I can't get her feelings get in my way. I've tried a lot. Help me forget her. Please I beg you.
If we are stressed can our mind affect functioning of our other organs, like heart, stomach, etc. Is this happens due to inactive lifestyle or it is a kind sickness?
I have an attention and anxiety issue for as long as I can remember? are there any tests that can be done to check for adhd and other issues?
There is a distinct relationship between sleeping disorders and your emotional health, both influence each other. Insomnia is a common sleeping disorder, which is generally caused due to stress and tension. Depression and anxiety also account for insomnia. It has been proven by research that people who experience sleeplessness or cases of insomnia are at a higher risk of depression and similar psychiatric disorders.
Insomnia is an important factor which causes depression and many people affected by it commit suicide. Researchers have found dysfunctional activity in the area of the brain where emotions are processed and regulated, among people with insomnia. Their study explains the mechanism by which insomnia affects and influences emotions in people, which leads to depression and other disorders.
The ways in which insomnia affects your emotions
- There is a clear difference in the brain activities of people with insomnia when compared with normal people who get good sleep. There is usually a great difference between the activities of the amygdala, which are neurons in the temporal lobe of the brain. The amygdala is very important in regulation and processing of emotions.
- Insomnia disrupts the ability of the brain to process negative emotions.
- Neural change and problems with regulating emotions are also caused because of insomnia.
- Insomnia disables the ability of judging or sensing any kind of emotion by looking at the face of a person. It is difficult to judge emotions such as anger and sadness in people suffering from insomnia. This impairment occurs more in women.
- Insomnia and similar sleeping disorders affect our inhibition and disrupt our impulse control mechanism. An insomniac person is likely to develop increased impulsiveness to negative stimulus.
- People suffering from insomnia develop a perception towards negative stuff and perceive most things in a negative way, rather than looking at the bright side which a normal person tends to do. People affected by insomnia are characterized by a negative mood and are pessimists in nature.
- A sleep deprived or insomniac patient shows greater activity around the limbic area of the brain. This is the area where major emotional regulation and processing are undertaken.
- A person suffering from insomnia develops a cranky personality. The patient is in an irritable mood and is triggered by the slightest and pettiest of circumstances. An insomniac patient is also characterized by swinging moods, high temper and general fatigue, which result due to lack of sleep.
Insomnia is a sleeping disorder which directly affects a person's emotions and the processing and regulation of emotions. There is a direct and important link between insomnia and emotional disorders. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.