Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Submit a review for Dr. ShanthiYour feedback matters!
I had a unprotected sex with my boyfriend and after that I took ipill! Is there change of me becoming pregnant?
I'm 18 years old and I have food related problems. I have a habit of eating at irregular times. It have a effect on me. I can not eat anything now a days even when i'm starving. Whats the problem?
She is 19 years old and during menstruation periods she suffers from vomiting, stomach pain etc. Is it common or specific?
For me 2 months delay for period after laparoscopy and hysteroscopy surgery what is reason for delay period.
Hi , I had spotting last month for 2 hrs after that I did not get my periods for the last month . I have done my pregnancy test but it's negative.Please tell.
Hai. Am 24 years old. I have pcod. Am planning for a baby. And taking so many medicines for pcod, vitamin,egg growth and all .past 2 days. I feel a pain in my chest .breathing problem. Am taking thyroid medicine also. My gynaecologist suggested to take. My tsh value is 3.5.am so worried. Can't able to speak continuously. Breathing problem.
I m pregnant. My l. M. P 20-8-2015. please tell me my pregnancy how many weeks. I m feeling pain in lower abdomen and heavy in vagina. I cant stand or do any work. please suggest me what can I do?
Bipolar disorder is also known as manic depression. This usually sets in low and high moods in a person along with changes in energy and sleep.
People with bipolar disorder tend to have periodical changes; sometimes they are over happy and other times they might feel sad, depressed and hopeless. Between these changes they are normal. The highs and lows are considered as extreme poles of moods, thus the name bipolar disorder.
Manic term is used when a person with bipolar disorder is highly excited and feels confident. Also, feelings of irritability and recklessness along with irrationality might occur. Some people with mania might have a hallucinations that is they see and hear things that are not there, along with delusions.
The term hypomania is used to describe mild symptoms of mania, in which a person does not have hallucinations and delusions and the symptoms do not interfere with their daily life. Similarly, the term depressive is used to describe a person's time when they feel depressed or sad.
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
- The highs and lows in a bipolar disorder do not follow any set pattern. One might feel manic or depressed for hours or days or weeks, months and even years together, before they actually switch to a happy mood. The severity depends from person to person and also changes with time by becoming less or more severe.
- Symptoms of mania or the high are extreme excitement, change from being happy to angry and irritable along with restlessness, speech is rapid with low concentration, less sleep and increased energy, grand plans, alcohol and drug abuse and impulsiveness.
- Symptoms of low or depressive phase are lethargy, worthlessness, feeling of sadness and hopelessness, lowered concentration, irritability, loss of sleep or excessive sleeping, loss of appetite and suicidal tendencies.
Diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder
- In case someone exhibits symptoms of bipolar disorder, then talking to a psychiatrist or a doctor helps. Doctors ask questions related to the mental illness and the associated concerns. Diagnosis is basically recognizing the symptoms of the person, whether they are due to some underlying cause or mood swings because of excessive alcohol. The symptoms have to be noted and the duration, for which they last along with the severity should all be noted. The most obvious symptoms are that of lows and highs in mood and changes in behavior, energy, sleep and thoughts.
- Consulting a doctor or talking to family and friends helps to differentiate the symptoms of bipolar disorder from unipolar disorder.
- Medicines that have mood stabilizers, such as lamotrigine, valproate, lithium, carbamazepine and antipsychotics such as olanzapine, quetiapine should be taken. Psychotherapy is also recommended.
For thousands of years, breathing practices were believed to improve our health and wellness.
Modern research has shown that this is still the case: proper breathing can help us boost our immune system, lower blood pressure, accelerate healing and much more.You may be wondering: “why would I need to learn how to breathe? I was born breathing!”
Well, yes, apparently we were all breathing professionals as new-borns.
According to Don Campbell, author of Perfect Breathing: Transform Your Life One Breath At A Time, we were born with a natural ability to breathe. If you ever watched a baby breath, he says, “you will notice that they inhale naturally and deeply and their stomachs expands like a balloon with each breath”.
Sadly, however, this ability doesn’t follow us for too long: modern life and its usual patterns such as stressful lifestyle and sedentary habits take over our natural ability to breathe slowly. Have you observed your breathing pattern when you are experiencing emotional overwhelm or everyday stress?
As stated in one of Harvard Medical School’s publications on breathing: “one reason may be that our culture often rewards us for stifling strong emotions. Girls and women are expected to rein in anger. Boys and men are exhorted not to cry. What happens when you hold back tears, stifle anger during a charged confrontation, tiptoe through a fearful situation, or try to keep pain at bay? Unconsciously, you hold your breath or breathe irregularly.”
Breathing can help us relax and gain focus by getting rid of the tensions in our body.
That’s why ancient practices like yoga, meditation and Pilates are proven methods for your mind body health.
THE BENEFITS OF SLOW BREATHING
“When we go below 10 breaths a minute we engage the parasympathetic nervous system, which helps the body relax when it has been injured”, states Clinical Psychologist Dr. Meunch. Slow breathing, he continues: “activates the vagus nerve, the primary cranial nerve, which is associated with a recuperative state.”
The benefits of breathing don’t stop here though.
Slow breathing has been proved to regulate high blood pressure, which is one of the main risk factors for strokes and heart attacks.
For this reason, different breathing devices have recently landed to the market, including Resporate. This device first monitors patient’s breaths per minute.
Then it plays musical notes so that the patient can breathe in on one note, and breathes out on another.
The slower the breath, the longer the note will play.
On top of physical benefits, breathing also affects our minds.
With deep inhalation we bring more oxygen into our bodies, with deep exhalation we are removing toxins from our body. Simple yet fascinating process.
SO HOW DO WE BREATHE PROPERLY?
The air you breathe in through your nose should go all the way down to your stomach. Your breathing muscles consist of the diaphragm and muscles in your core, chest, neck and shoulders. For deep breath, 70-80% of the inhaling should be done by pushing your diaphragm away from your ribcage. In simple words, go back to being a baby and fill your belly and chest with oxygen!
Try this breathing exercise out. This can be executed anywhere, at your desk in the office, at home or when on public transportation:
1) Inhale deeply, for 2 seconds. When you do this, think of filling your lungs from the bottom to the top.
2) Hold for 1 second.
3) To help activate your diaphragm, exhale for 2 seconds, as it you were blowing out a candle.
4) Hold for another second.
Once you master this simple exercise, your body will remember this breathing technique and you will start to incorporate slow breathing into your daily activities.
I usually get periods after 3 to 4 months and we are planning for baby it has been 5 years we are having sex and as per other doctors I don't have egg but the process will take time almost a year I want to know some fast treatment by which I may conceive in a short period of time my age is 24 years.
Hi, I have pcod n my last period was on 26 dec and in January 26 I did not get my periods bt on feb 10 it was spoting 1 to 2 days and it is stopped n I did not get clear periods at that tym so I consulted doctor she prescribed me krimson 35 tablet n I started it from 6th day of my spoting now it that tab are completed n it is 7th day now by stopping krimson tab but I did not get my periods. please suggest me what to do.
I have one kid (4 years old) While delivery in cesarian Fibroid taken out and tested which is normal Fibroid. But after 4 years, again Fibroid appears in uterus. Due to that heavy bleeding in periods and Head ache. Doctor said operation to be done. Is there any medicine to decrease the Fibroid size. We want one more child, conceive is possible without removing the fibroid. Is there any possibility to remove that without surgery. Pl clarify.
Infection caused in the kidneys, bladder, urethra or the ureters is known as urinary tract infection. According to doctors, women are generally more at risk of suffering from this condition than men.
Some of the causes which contribute to the development of this infection are:
- Invasion of bacteria: Like any other infection, one of the causes of urinary tract infection is the invasion of the bacteria Escherichia coli in the bladder. This type of bacteria is most commonly found in the gastrointestinal tract and is most often held responsible for urinary tract infection.
- Spreading of the bacteria from anus to urethra: The spread of the gastrointestinal bacteria from the anus to the urethra leads to the infection of the urethra thereby causing urinary tract infection.
Some of the symptoms of urinary tract infection are:
- A nagging urge to urinate: One of the most predominant symptoms of urinary tract infection is a persistent, nagging urge to urinate. You would know your urinary tract is infected when you feel the urgency to urinate extremely frequently.
- There is a burning sensation when you urinate: The symptoms of urinary infection are extremely visible and are felt intensely by the one suffering from it. If you feel a burning sensation while urinating, chances are extremely high that you are suffering from urinary tract infection.
- Red colored urine: Sometimes your urine may contain perceptible amount of blood in them. In most cases, presence of blood in urine is a definite sign of urinary tract infection.
- Foul smelled urine: An internal infection in the urinary tract manifests itself in different ways. One of the chief symptoms of this infection is discharging foul smelling urine.
- Pain in the pelvic area: Women who suffer from urinary tract infection experience excruciating pain near the pelvic area, sometimes extending to the pubic bone.
Hello I am 24 year old female. Actually my uterus size is less then normal size. So, I have problems of irregular periods. What to do.?
On 14th day of my period I suffer from pain in my legs and lower back. There is a white discharge also though all that subsides but pain in legs is unbearable. Kindly advise.
Do you love to eat up the whole fruit? Or, is it the freshly crushed juice that appeals to you more. Both as you know are healthy options. However, is there really a difference between the nutritional value of the two, if it involves the same fruit?
The answer is a big 'Yes'.
While freshly squeezed fruit juice is a healthy addition to your daily diet, it cannot replace eating whole fruits (or vegetables). In the choice between juicing and eating whole fruits, though juicing has its advantages, the latter offers more nutrition. Here's why.
Advantage: Juicing is convenient
The convenience of gulping down a glass of juice versus eating a whole fruit is one of the biggest advantages of juicing. However, this counts as a convenience only if you aren't making the juice and cleaning the juicer yourself. When you have to make your own juice, it probably would be easier to simply cut and eat the fruit.
Advantage: Juicing makes it easier for the body to absorb nutrients
Juicing is said to make absorbing nutrients easier for people with digestive diseases such as inflammatory bowel diseases. This is because the process of juicing removes fibers thus giving the digestive system less work to do. Another advantage is eating a whole fruit fills you up more than drinking a glass of juice. This allows you to take in higher amounts of vitamins, minerals, enzymes etc. However, this theory has not been proved.
Disadvantage: Juicing removes fiber
Though the removal of fiber makes it easier for the body to digest fruit juice, this loss of fiber is actually a disadvantage for people with a healthy digestive system. Since the digestive system does not have to work on digesting fibers in juice, the body uses fewer calories in the process. Lesser calories burnt imply lesser weight loss. Since juices are digested faster than whole fruits, hunger is satisfied for shorter periods of time leading to an increased appetite.
Disadvantage: Juicing removes flavonoids
Along with a loss of fiber, flavonoids found in the skin and fruit pulp are also lost in the process of juicing. Flavonoids have been linked to longevity and are best known for their antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that help prevent a number of cardiovascular diseases. In citrus fruits, the whole fruit is said to have five times the flavonoids as a glass of juice made from them.
To fuse the convenience of juice and the healthiness as whole fruit, use a blender instead of a juicer. This way, you don't lose any fruit pulp and can enjoy a tasty glass of juice.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.