Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shantha
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. ShanthaYour feedback matters!
Hi Sir, My age is 25 years, my problem is, I tried unprotected sex with my girlfriend 2 months ago she got a pregnant I tested 2 times with pregatest its positive. After that I given papaya after five 5 days month came but she told just 1day came just small bleeding and only one small tissue came. Please tell the full details of pregnancy cleared or its continuing please tel me any pills to stop please urgent. Hi Sir, My age is 25 years, my problem is, I tried unprotected sex with my girlfriend 2 months ago she got a pregnant I tested 2 times with pregatest its positive. After that I given papaya after five 5 days month came but she told just 1day came just small bleeding and only one small tissue came. Please tell the full details of pregnancy cleared or its continuing please tel me any pills to stop please urgent. you. S. G Not taken. Tell me generally pls madam. Any possible to its cleared.
Disabilities can occur due to injuries, infections, or old age. Whatever the reason, the person has limited movement and suffers from pain and stiffness during this period. In addition to surgery and antibiotics, occupational therapy (OT) helps the patient immensely by providing complete rehabilitation and to help recover completely. Many who do not respond well to medications have benefited from occupational therapy and have had complete functional recovery. The occupational therapist helps patients to improve and maintain skills so they can perform their daily chores on their own.
The benefits of occupational therapy are too many and would depend on the setting in which it is used:
- In the elderly: With age, general movement is reduced and OT can help improve overall movement and quality of life, thereby enabling them to lead more independent lives.
- In mentally disabled: Occupational therapists work with people with emotional and mental limitations and teach them the necessary skills to be able to perform their functions in society. This can even enable them to take up a job and lead healthy, positive relationships.
- In physically disabled: OT can help them teach to perform their chores and socialize at school and home. There is a great deal of facilitating age-appropriate social interactions, thereby improving the chances of social acceptance of the affected individual.
No matter what setting Occupational Therapy is used in, the following are definitely some benefits:
- Improves range of motion: The person undergoing OT will see better movement of the affected parts, especially in old age where some joints are more involved than others.
- Increases mobility in injured or disabled patients: Disability or injury can lead to reduced mobility and OT can significantly improve this.
- Helps the body heal naturally: The body is not being subjected to any external chemical, and only natural movements and exercises are done, which is beneficial for the person.
- May reduce or eliminate muscle spasms: Pain and disability can lead to reduced mobility, which can cause muscle spasm. OT can help reduce and in some cases completely reverse the muscles spasms that may have set in. Can be supplemented with thermal modalities and treatment to reduce pain: Adding heat packs and moist heat to the regimen will produce better results.
- Treatment is customized for the individual: Each person is different with the cause and the effect of disability. The therapist will customize the program based on the person's needs and therefore will benefit the patient.
- Can boost self-esteem and promote feeling of well-being: The mere thought of being independent gives a big moral boost to the affected person, thereby improving quality of life.
Occupational therapy forms a part of the holistic regimen and can, therefore be integrated along with physical therapy to reap benefits.
Menopause can be a turnaround for many women in respect to their health and body functioning. It can be disturbing and disruptive. When menstruation ends in women, various changes ranging from physical to emotional occurs which are discussed below.
- Perimenopause: The age of 40-45 years in women is the time when their hormones, progesterone, and estrogen start falling, as the production of these hormones from the ovaries decreases. The onset of menopause, however, begins from mid thirty’s. You can experience significant cramps while having your periods as well as heavy and irregular periods.
- Anxiety and Mood Swings: Mood swings are common during the days of your menstruation, but it becomes severe when you are going through the pre-menopausal and post-menopausal phase. This is a time when most of the women become more teary and emotional without much reason. They become irritated easily as well, and the best way to tackle them is to care and be kind and not flattery or insensible. The woman must understand the phase she is going through and must try to find ways to control her temper and mood swings.
- Night Sweats and Hot Flashes: Hot flashes and night sweats are common symptoms that you experience during menopause. Due to the fall in the levels of estrogen, the body gets heated up, and thus hot flashes are common during these days. The brain needs time to adjust to the changes estrogen level, and then this problem gets solved.
- Reduced Sex Drive: Due to the fall in the hormones, the sex drive or the libido in a woman falls right after having menopause.
- Aging: Menopause acts like the red mark on the age calendar of yours which pin point that now you are becoming old. This increases the agitation and the irritation of getting old. But talking about it in the open and being calm can reduce the irritation and also keeps you youthful all the day.
- Affecting Your Thoughts: Perimenopause can also be symbolized by a reduction in the thought process and the memory of the women. Most of the women complain of having less energy at work and forgetting basic things. This is because of the drop in the estrogen as it helps in keeping you active as well as alert.
- Calcium Deficiency or Bone Loss: With the falling estrogen level, the loss of calcium from the body and thus affecting the mass of the bones is inevitable, and this thing can get serious that it can turn into osteoporosis. You need to have calcium along with Vitamin D from the natural food as much as possible so that the bone mass doesn’t get affected.
Dealing with menopause is more a challenge to a woman. However, being aware of the changes happening in her body and accepting them is aging gracefully, indeed.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
When my menses comes, I faces heavy abdominal cramps. I can't tolerate. I have to take pain killer. I have hormonal imbalance also. I also have pile, fissure problem, before some days of menses, constipation get severe, hard stool, please help me.
Obesity has put a massive number of people at a higher risk of life-threatening health issues in the recent years. Statistics point out that it has already affected 25% of the Indian population. It is one of the leading causes of illnesses such as stroke, cardiovascular problems, cancer and hypertension.
Causes and symptoms you must watch out for -
The most common causes of obesity are-
- Eating high Glycemic Index (measured above 70) foods like refined grains (white rice, white bread) that cause insulin and blood sugar levels to rise up quickly.
- Leading an inactive, sedentary lifestyle
- Genetic predisposition and hormonal changes over the years. As you age, your body loses muscle mass and the metabolic rate becomes slower. This makes it easier for you to gain weight.
- Other medical conditions such as Hypothyroidism, PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome), Prader-Willi Syndrome
- BMI: People who are obese have a BMI equal to or greater than 30.
- Screening test: If you have been encountering the symptoms mentioned above, consider undergoing screening tests like ultrasound, CT scan and MRI scan.
How can Ayurveda treat Obesity?
In Ayurveda, all health problems are the result of an imbalance of the basic humors in the body - kapha, vata and pitta. One effective Ayurvedic therapy to cure obesity is the Panchakarma vidhi. Panchakarma uses medicated herbs, natural ingredients like rice, sand, medicated powder on your body to soothe your senses and flush out the toxins from your body.
There are 5 different ways to restore your body’s dosha balance-
- Vamana- The process of vomiting out the toxins after medication and therapy.
- Virechana- The process of excreting toxins through bowel movement.
- Nasya- Essential oils and medicinal herbs used to massage the head region. The toxins are then released from your system through formentation.
- Basti- Sesame oil and medicinal herbs used to soften and cut the fat tissues. This increases the heat in the fat tissues and triggers metabolism.
- Raktamoskshana- Purifies the blood stream, thereby filtering out the toxins from your body.
Ayurvedic treatment methods are also accompanied by a balanced lifestyle, healthy diet, exercise and meditation. Those suffering from obesity should go for Panchakarma, as it helps cure the condition from within. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Thyme is one of the most famous herbs from the mint family. It is a common herb present in every spice set for garnishing and flavouring of the dish. In fact, apart from its modern-day use, it had been used by Egyptians in the process of mummification as well as by the Greeks as a form of incense. However, apart from its culinary uses, it is gaining a reputation as one of the most useful ingredients with several medicinal properties. Some of these medicinal properties are highlighted below.
- Regulates Blood Pressure: When it comes to blood pressure, consumption of salt and maintaining a balanced level of cholesterol are the two important things to keep a lookout for. Thyme itself can be used as a substitute for salt. Though the taste would not be quite the same without a trace of salt in the dish, but at least it would benefit your health and keep a balanced level of salt and cholesterol in your body. This would help you in maintaining a balanced blood pressure and also prevent you from falling prey to any kind of heart disease or even diabetes for that matter.
- Controls cough and cold: If you feel that you are about to experience an attack of a cough and cold due to seasonal changes or whatever reason, do not forget to keep some thyme at hand. You can make thyme paste and rub it onto your chest. The vapours coming out of it would help in curing cough. Further, thyme oils can always be used for a chest massage or can be rubbed onto the sides of your nostrils. Moreover, drinking warm thyme infused tea helps you in recovering faster.
- Boosts immunity: To maintain a proper immune system the body needs, vitamins, minerals, water and various other elements. With thyme being a rich source of vitamin C and Vitamin A apart from having the benefits of iron, manganese, copper and fibre, it is not unusual to know that it boosts the immune system in an individual. Thus, thyme is often consumed in a small quantity with at least one or two dishes of the day. This makes sure that the quantity of thyme entering your body is regulated and is just enough to provide you with all the necessary elements.
- Acts as a disinfectant: Mould is an element present in the air which not only causes air pollution but can be fatal to human health. In fact, it hurts those with asthma even more than regular people. One of the easiest ways to get rid of moulds in the air is to regularly use thyme oil in your house. Thyme oil acts as a disinfectant and helps in reducing the concentration of moulds in the air.
- Used for therapeutic purposes: Carvacrol is a substance present in thyme which helps it in making a mark as an important compound in aromatherapy. Many essential oils are made of thyme essence. These essential oils are not only used on the skin for massages but also used as incense and de-stressors.
Thus, these are some of the most important uses of thyme apart from adding flavouring to some of your favourite dishes.