Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Urologists in India. You will find Urologists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Urologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Senthil
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment of H.I.V
Hydrocele Treatment (Surgical)
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Urology Minimally Invasive Surgery
Kidney Transplant Treatment
Blood In Urine (Hematuria) Treatment
Reconstructive Surgery Procedures
Transurethral Resection Of The Prostate (Turp) Pro
Reconstructive Urology Surgery
Minimally Invasive Urology Surgery
Transurethral Incision Of The Prostate (Tuip) Proc
Open Prostatectomy Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. SenthilYour feedback matters!
While most of the health issues that arise in our body show prominent symptoms, some do not, and the patients discover the problem accidentally. One such condition is Ectopic kidney which is a congenital abnormality wherein the organ is located out of normal place. Generally, the kidneys start forming within the pelvis and then move into their position behind the rib cage. In case of the ectopic kidney, one of the two kidneys does not move to the right place but may remain in the pelvis. Or it may move upward, but fails to reach its desired position. What's more, a kidney may cross over so that both the kidneys are located on the same side of the body.
How is the condition diagnosed?
An ectopic kidney may be able to function normally without causing any symptoms, and the diagnosis happens by chance. Sometimes, the health care provider may discover ectopic kidney after feeling a lump in the unusual position in the abdomen or may notice it due to urinary problems and pain in the abdomen.
What are the complications?
The most common complications of an ectopic kidney include problems in the drainage of urine from the kidney. At times, the urine may flow backward from the bladder to the kidney, an issue which is medically termed as vesicoureteral reflux or VUR. This, in turn, can lead to a host of health issues such as:
- Infection: Through urine, the human body can wash out bacteria and inhibits their growth in the kidneys as well as the urinary tract. When the kidney is out of its normal position, the urine gets trapped in the kidney itself or the ureter. The remaining urine allows the bacteria to grow and spread. Hence, an affected individual may suffer from back pain, abdominal pain, fever and chills and foul-smelling urine.
- Formation of stones: Calcium and oxalate stones may form in the kidney due to the ectopic kidney. This happens when the urine remains in the urinary tract for a long span of time. It could lead to extreme pain on the sides of the body, blood in the urine, fever or chills, vomiting, burning sensation while urinating.
- Trauma: When the ectopic kidney is present in the pelvis, it could become susceptible to injury from blunt trauma. Such people are required to wear protective gear while performing body contact sports.
What are the treatment options for an ectopic kidney?
If tests show evidence of an obstruction, then surgery may be required for correcting the causes of obstruction for allowing better drainage of urine. Also, reflux can be fixed with the help of operation for altering the ureter. When there is extensive damage to the kidneys, then surgery may be required for complete removal of the kidney. So, depending on the condition of the patient, the necessary treatment process would be adopted by the nephrologist.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My girlfriend is suffering with the problem of stones in kidney. What are the precautions to be taken to be get cured.
Painful urination from two days, little fever and headache always, can't sleep, weakness, very painful, repeated painful urination in small intervals.
Dear Sir, I have gas related issues from past three months, actually my problem is the gas is coming from my anus 24/7 day and night without stopping and smelling too. So kindly give a suggestion for recover this problem.
One single kidney in place of two is a scenario which is often termed as solitary kidney.
Who has a solitary kidney?
- Their body functions normally and are generally not unhealthy. This is also known as renal agenesis.
- In some cases, people are born with two kidneys with just one of them healthy and fully functional. The other one does not function fully or partially. This condition is known as kidney dysplasia.
- A person who had to undergo a kidney removal surgery (nephrectomy); such a surgery is conducted when a person has an infected kidney or diseased, malfunctioning/cancerous growths on the kidney.
- A person who has donated a kidney to someone who required kidney transplantation.
What potential health risks does a person with a solitary kidney have?
- Normally, a person born with a single kidney does not have any such potential health risks. They are generally healthy and lead normal lives.
- Later in life, there may or may not be slight loss or degradation in the functioning of the kidney.
- The life span of a person with a single kidney is normal. There is no apparent effect on the mortality rates.
What kind of special diet must a person with a single kidney follow?
- There is no need of any such special diet for a person with a single kidney.
- Normal healthy balanced diet with all the essential nutrients should suffice.
- You must be careful about your animal protein intake and calcium supplements.
- Drink sufficient quantity of water to remain hydrated all day and prevent the urine from turning acidic.
- Controlled consumption of alcohol and caffeine is a must. It is also important to reduce the consumption of aerated drinks.
Exercises and Physical activities for a person with a single kidney:
- A person with a solitary kidney can function like any other normal individual.
- You may also participate in sports. However, you must take enough precaution to prevent injuries to your kidney. Proper padding and protection around your lower abdominal region and back is of utmost necessity.
- You can hit the gym, run a marathon and nothing is impossible for you. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an urologist.