Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Cardiologists in India. You will find Cardiologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Cardiologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Mitral Valve Replacement Surgery
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Cardiac Ablation Procedure
Coronary Bypass Surgery
Carotid Angioplasty And Stenting Procedure
Cardiac Catheterization Procedure
Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (Icds) Tre
Intra - Arterial Thrombolysis Procedures
Treatment Of Restenosis
Submit a review for Dr. SelvarajanYour feedback matters!
Hypertension or high blood pressure is common in pregnant women, even in those who have no previous history of high blood pressure. This leads to complications in about 6 to 10% of all pregnancies around the world. High blood pressure may develop before or after conception and as such needs special medical attention.
Hypertension prevents sufficient flow of blood to the placenta and this inhibits the normal growth of the fetus. This could result in low birth weight of the child. However, if diagnosed in time and treated properly, hypertension does not affect the child's health too much. There are various types of hypertension during pregnancies, such as:
- Gestational hypertension: This type of hypertension is developed about 20 weeks after conception. There is no abnormality in urine or any signs of other organ damage (as is common with hypertension during pregnancy) but the condition can worsen and complicate very quickly. Pregnant women below the age of 20 and above the age of 40 are often diagnosed with high levels of blood pressure. Women who have heart or kidney conditions before pregnancy and women carrying more than one child are also likely to develop gestational hypertension.
- Chronic hypertension: Chronic hypertension is high blood pressure which develops around 20 weeks before conception and does not normalize within 12 weeks after childbirth. The patient may also have been suffering from high blood pressure for a long time but the complications appear only during pregnancy because high blood pressure rarely exhibits symptoms without an associated condition.
- Chronic hypertension superimposed with Preeclampsia: Women who have hypertension before pregnancy may develop even higher blood pressure levels during pregnancy. This leads to several health disorders like frequent headaches, fatigue and depression.
- Preeclampsia: Preeclampsia is often a serious complication of gestational pregnancy and affects about 5% to 7% of all pregnancies globally. Gestational pregnancy does not always develop into preeclampsia but it needs to be diagnosed and treated in time to avoid the complication. Women who have conceived for the first time or have a history of hypertension in the family are at a greater risk of preeclampsia. The symptoms of the condition are throbbing headaches, blurred vision, nausea and vomiting, pain in the upper abdominal region and shortness of breath.
The signs and symptoms of heart disease start before the recognizable stabbing chest pain that many would expect with a heart attack.
In fact, many patients have signs that something is wrong with their heart for weeks or even months before they actually have a cardiac event, and doctors warn that sometimes those signs may be subtle
"The more risk factors you have, the higher the likelihood that a symptom means something is going on with your heart"
"People often don't want to admit that they're old enough or sick enough to have heart trouble. Putting off treatment for other medical problems might not be so bad, but a serious heart problem can mean sudden death"
Risk factors of heart disease include high cholesterol, high blood pressure, obesity, smoking, diabetes, or a family history of heart disease, the site said.
Here are seven signs of heart disease that you should have checked out:
1. Chest discomfort or pain (angina): It's the number one recognized symptom of heart problems (although not all chest pain is caused by the heart), sometimes the pain isn't intense.
"Heart-related chest pain is often centered under the breastbone, perhaps a little to the left of center. The pain has been likened to 'an elephant sitting on the chest' but it can also be an uncomfortable sensation of pressure, squeezing, or fullness"
2. Shortness of breath: Several heart problems cause people to feel short of breath, which will often get worse with movement or exercise, reports the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
It can be a sign of heart failure, which occurs when "your heart can't pump enough blood to meet your body's needs" Shortness of breath can also be a symptom of broken heart syndrome, or stress-induced cardiomyopathy.
3. Dizziness, light headed ness, fainting: Any of these symptoms can indicate heart disease, and according to me, the problem can be regarding several heart issues: abnormal heartbeats, weak heart muscles (called dilated cardiomyopathy), and valve problems, among others.
4. Heart arrhythmias, or abnormal heartbeats: If you feel as if your heart is fluttering in your chest, beating too fast or slow, it may be an indication of heart disease, or even a heart attack.
5. Changes to "normal" If it's suddenly difficult to climb stairs you climb every day or do other activities that usually are part of your routine, it can be a sign that there's a problem. Notice if you find yourself saying, "I used to be able to [climb stairs, mow the lawn] but now I have to stop because I get [light-headed, short of breath, palpitations]
6. Erectile dysfunction: Sometimes men are embarrassed or hesitate to see a doctor when they have problems getting erections. But they should be aware, a 2013 study which followed 90,000 men, found "the worse erectile dysfunction, the more heart disease and risk of early death a man had,
7. Swelling in your legs: Puffiness in legs, ankles, calves, and feet can be a sign of a problem with your heart's pumping action. Although other things can cause the issue, such as hormone changes, salt, and medications, a doctor should check out potential heart disease
Dr. Varinder Singh Chandhok
What we do in case of heart failure in the late night conditions. Do we provide them adrenaline for the emergency or can we give a other drug like ace inhibitor. Do we save the patients or we give them shock for the new life. What type of drug should given to ashtama patients. Give a proper treatment for the hairloss. How we change the heredity change in case of hairloss. Give a reason for occurring skin diseases.
I have done angioplasty in Aug, 2014. I'm 63 years old. There was blockage in one artery. Taking medicine like Pan40, Embeta12.5, Clavix150, Aztor40, Eptus 25 Gold etc Please advise how other precaution to be taken.
I am 38 years old. I have a gas trouble, my stomach size is little big, problem of cholesterol (charabi). Second one is, I drink water 15 litter in a day and I have to go for urinal every hours.
I am 24 years old recently I got endoscopy checkup reports came Like I have Erosive Gastropathy I am using medicines since one month & for last few days in morning times while splitting or in flume small amount of light red blood come out from my mouth light throat and chest pain I don't have cough any suggestion.
Hi doctor I want to know that my wife is suffering from low B. P. From last few days instead of taking medicine. I have done all check ups but report is normal so suggest e what can I do. I am waiting for your favorable reply please reply me. Thank you.
My Mother is 76 years old. She has undergone a surgery of uterus removal in 2014. After the Surgery she is always sick. Her haemoglobin level is always 10. Her Sugar level after food is 152, and normal before food. BLood pressure is always high but now she is taking medicines to control blood pressure. Please advise some good health habits for her to be healthy, as soon as she wakes up, she says I am feeling very weak and hungry. Her legs pain a lot. Please advise a routine food schedule for her and some advise on how she should keep her diet.
What are the reasons for high BP early in the morning on awaking from bed around 6.00am. I have BP measuring between 162/105 to 142/88 and taking two medicines daily; Erital H40 in the morning before breakfast and amlodipin 0.5 mg( Amlopress) in the evening at 9.00pm
I am 32 year old male. Married. Recently I gone through a full body check up in which my cholestrol level was increased. What should follow in my diet to maintain my cholestrol level normal. Also suggest medicine thanks.
Safe Treatment Of All Disease Homeopathy
I have pain for 5 days in my left side chest and my eyes will be red on time and after the 5 minutes I will relief that pain automatically. what to do.?
I'm 57 years old. For last fifteen days there was back pain. After a day pain lifted upwards. Now there is a pain in upper side of back and in chest. What may be the cause and what should I do.
Mere dost Jo police department mai karyarat hai unko bp problem hai or sciatica hai please help him.
Heart diseases and hypertension which lead to heart or other organ failures has been on the rise for the past 2 decades. People above the age of 35+ have been seen suffering from such problems due to their unbalanced dietary habits and sedentary lifestyle. Its always advisable to control these factors to reduce your risk.
An indulgent lifestyle and an inadequate diet are two major causes of heart disease which can be changed. To stay fit here are a few measures of care and control
7 warning signals to know about.
Uncomfortable pressure, fullness, squeezing or episodes of pain in the centre of the chest lasting more than a few minutes. Pain spreading to the shoulders, neck or arms. It may feel like pressure, tightness, burning or heavy weight. It may be located in the chest, upper abdomen, neck, jaw or inside the arms or shoulders.
Chest discomfort with light headedness, fainting, sweating, nausea, vomiting.
Shortness of breath or agonal gasp.
Anxiety, nervousness and/or cold, sweaty skin.
Increased or irregular heart rate or flutter or palpitation
Feeling of impending doom with sinking sensation.
Know behind the scene
A heart attack occurs when one or more of coronary arteries (main supply to heart) become blocked. Over time, a coronary artery can narrow from the buildup of various substances, including cholesterol (atherosclerosis). This condition, known as coronary artery disease, causes most heart attacks.
A. B. C of cardiac care
- avoid tobacco (cigarette, shisha)
- be more active (cardio exercises)
- choose good nutrition (eat larger portions of low-calorie, nutrient-rich foods, such as fruits and vegetables, and smaller portions of high-calorie, high-sodium foods, such as refined, processed or fast foods.)
Dietary cholesterol should be 300mg per day. Since it largely comes from animal products, consumption of non-vegetarian, whole full cream milk should be restricted.
Take a health alternative like chicken, fish, beans, vegetables, fruits, breads, pulses, wholewheat flour, cereals, brown rice, millet, skimmed milk and vegetable oils like corn, sesame, soyabean, sunflower, canola, olive and mustard.
Friendly and unfriendly fats
Fat should not exceed 30 per cent of your total calorie intake. Saturated fatty acids in full-cream milk and red meat increase your cholesterol level. Use non-fat or low-fat milk and milk products instead of full-cream milk and avoid sources of saturated fatty acids like lard, butter, cream, palm oil, coconut oil, cheese, etc.
Mono-unsaturated fats that lower cholesterol as well as prevent formation of blood clots are present in olive, canola, peanut and mustard oils. Omega-3, a fatty acid that prevents atherosclerosis is present in foods like herring, mackerel, salmon, tuna, soyabean, walnuts and butternuts. Take these regularly in small quantities to prevent atherosclerosis.
Holistic way to control chest pain
Boil 4 -5 pods of garlic in glass of milk and consume the garlic pods with milk daily to avoid chest pain.
Pound the dates with seeds and eat them every day.
Increase the intake of ginger and lime in your diet.
Drink a glass of milk mixed with kadukai (ink nut) powder every night before going to be.
Take a spoon of tulsi (india basil) juice with honey in empty stomach every day.