Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. SelvamYour feedback matters!
I hav a leg pain in my left leg ankle which is very painful, I hav this from more than a week what sld I do.
I am healthy person but my legs are paining to much when I am running please give me right suggestion to what I do for my problem Give me proper medicine for this My age is just 21 years.
There is lot of pain in back side of leg and upper thigh. It increases too much during 1st two days of period along with back pain.
Hi I'm 24 year old. Being young I should not feel exhausted but I feel pain in my thighs when I walk 500 meter. Kindly give me some suggestions to get rid of this problem.
Dear Doctor, My wife has fell down on stair steps and she is feeling pain at left leg knee and right hand elbow. Little swelling was also there. This happen 2 days back and now she is suffering with fever and body pains. She is a diabetic patient. Kindly suggest.
I am looking for an advice from an Orthopaedic about ankle pain that I have developed in the last one month. I have severe pain as soon as I wake up from bed and it subsidies after I walk for a while. The same thing happens after I sit down for a while and get up. Please advice on the causes and treatment for the same. Some friends suggested me to change shoes and wear insole. I am not sure if thats the right thing to do.
I am feeling pain in thigh always there is muscle pain in my thigh from 2 month sometimes it is too much more sometimes less taken vit d capsule from 1 month total 4 capsule I taken but not any relief wht to do now is it due to masturbation becoz I masturbate daily I also feel weakness in my whole body.
Case 1 : A 65yr old women develops severe pain in the lower back while trying to lift her grandson from the floor. She was then rushed to the hospital and on investigating was found to have osteoporotic collapse of lumbar vetrebrae.
Case 2 : A 72 yr old female sustained a small twisting jerk while walking over the uneven surface and developed sharp pain in the hip region followed by difficulty in walking and when examined was found to have fracture in the hip.
These cases are just to exemplify that Osteoporosis may not cause any apparent symptoms. Patients may not know they have osteoporosis until they break (fracture) a bone.
Osteoporosis is defined as a systemic skeletal disease characterised by low bone mass and microarchitectural deterioration of bone tissue, with a consequent increase in bone fragility and susceptibility to fracture. Although the diagnosis of the disease relies on the quantitative assessment of bone mineral density, which is a major determinant of bone strength, the clinical significance of osteoporosis lies in the fractures that arise.
Common sites for osteoporotic fracture are the spine, hip, distal forearm and proximal humerus. The remaining lifetime probability in women, at menopause, of a fracture at any one of these sites exceeds that of breast cancer.
Osteoporotic fractures are a major cause of morbidity in the population. Hip fractures cause acute pain and loss of function, and nearly always lead to hospitalisation. Recovery is slow, and rehabilitation is often incomplete, with many patients permanently institutionalised in nursing homes. Vertebral fractures may cause acute pain and loss of function but may also occur without serious symptoms. Vertebral fractures often recur, however, and the consequent disability increases with the number of fractures. Distal radial fractures also lead to acute pain and loss of function, but functional recovery is usually good or excellent.
A dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA or DXA) scan can be used as a screening test for osteopenia (bone loss that precedes osteoporosis). This test measures bone density in the hip, wrist and spine and is more precise than an X-ray.
The National Osteoporosis Foundation recommends the following groups of people should have Dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA or DXA) scans to screen for osteoporosis:
All women age 65 and older
All postmenopausal women under age 65 who have risk factors for osteoporosis
Postmenopausal women with fractures
Women with a medical condition associated with osteoporosis
How Is Osteoporosis Treated and Prevented?
There is no current cure for osteoporosis. Osteoporosis treatment involves stopping further bone loss, and strengthening bones that show signs of weakness. Prevention of osteoporosis is key.
Prevention and Treatment:
1. Exercise : Exercise is important in helping improve muscle strength and balance. Consult your doctor for the type and duration of exercise that is right for you
It is also important to consider other medical problems that may also be present (heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure) before starting any exercise program.
2. Quit Smoking and Curtail Alcohol
3. Calcium Supplements
4. Calcium-Fortified Foods
5. Vitamin D
There are several types of medications used to treat osteoporosis.
Menopausal estrogen hormone therapy.
Selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs).
Anabolic drugs: these are the only drugs that actually build bone mass. Teriparatide, a form of parathyroid hormone, is one example of this type of drug
Head and limbs pain me so much pain that I do and sometimes the whole body is rigid, so all told me that treatment should be erased.
I have a guot on my right jaw. When biopsy done on that part, result small composition of fatty tissue. Please advice me what should I do to remove or dissolve this without operating it.
I'm a basketball player The court I used to play was very slippery Know I'm having pain in right leg knee.
Hi I am a computer engineer and am having pain in my left shoulder causing me to stay up in the night sometimes. What should I do?
Hai Sir/Madam my wife is 7 months pregnant now at the time of sleeping she is getting back pain what may be reason? Whether it is normal or not?
Gout is a type of arthritis, which can affect your joints, though usually, it causes maximum harm to your big toe. Symptoms that you are having a bout of gout include having a stiffness and swelling of the joint in question. The pain is very sudden and also causes a burning sensation. Gout is basically a recurrent type of inflammatory arthritis. However, the pain associated with gout can be remedied by Ayurveda.
Here are some of the best Ayurvedic remedies which can be used:
- Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu: Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu is the most common and most widely recommended treatment for gout. However, it needs to be taken on an empty stomach. It is also worth note that it works best when teaspoons of it are taken two times a day with warm milk.
- Kaishore Guggulu: Kaishore guggulu is a type of medicine, which should be accompanying Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu. It Is usually administered after some initial relief is felt from Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu. Its best to consume this medicine in tablet form thrice a day.
- Shallaki: This Ayurvedic remedy is great for decreasing the pain in the joints affected. It also decreases the swelling in those joints, which have been affected by the bout of gout. Shallaki is also crucial in making sure that cartilage forms and that the blood supply to the joint which is affected by gout is still stable.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is medically known as Withania Somnifera. In the West, Ashwagandha is popularly known as Winter Cherry. Also, it has a lot of therapeutic properties, which include reducing joint pains and also inflammation of muscles. This herb can also work wonders on your blood circulation.
- Pinda Taila: This is a type of oil which needs to be applied externally. Pinda Taila is a very rare class of medicines which treats gout externally. Pinda Taila or Guduchyadi Taila is administered by rubbing it on the body part affected. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.
I am 32 years old male, I am suffering from back ache for last 2 years and now for the past few months I have lost weight considerably and my chest and ribs are considerably decreasing in size . What should I do to recover my weight and chest size.
Arthritis is a common musculoskeletal condition that affects elderly men and women. Joint pain, stiffness and inflammation are the most common symptoms of this condition. This pain can get so bad as to affect your movement and leave you unable to do simple things like walking up stairs or even simply turning a doorknob.
Arthritis cannot be reversed but with medication and a few lifestyle changes, your quality of life can be improved.
- Exercise and weight loss: Though it is difficult to do, losing weight can help relieve the pain of arthritis. This takes the pressure off your joints and increases the range of possible motions. Though exercising may be the last thing you want to do, it can help increase your flexibility and help strengthen your muscles. Aerobics, stretching and strength training are ideal for arthritic patients.
- Assistive devices: Arthritis can make a person knock kneed or bow legged. Wearing unloading braces, shoe inserts or walking with a cane or shoe inserts can help redistribute your weight and take the pressure of your joints. It can also help relieve pain and prevent arthritis from worsening.
- Eating right: Some types of food can worsen arthritic symptoms. This includes processed foods like white flour and sugar, yeast, chemical additives, gluten, hydrogenated and trans fats, milk products, caffeine, alcohol and tobacco. Hence, avoid consuming these foods and instead have a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts and whole grain. You could also try alkaline foods like green leafy vegetables, wheatgrass and aloe vera.
- Massage therapy: A massage not only de-stresses the body, but can also relieve muscle and joint pain by improving blood circulation. Massages also help break up muscular waste deposits and increase the amount of oxygen circulated in the body. This helps transport nutrients to tissues and carries toxins away. Ideally, an arthritic patient should have a massage 2-3 times a week in the beginning and at least twice a month once the condition has stabilised.
- Supplements: Along with eating healthy, including a few supplements in your daily diet can also help alleviate arthritic symptoms. When it comes to rheumatic arthritis; the anti-inflammatory properties of vitamin C help fight arthritis by promoting bone and cartilage growth and reducing infection. Fish oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that help reduce inflammation, Vitamin D is another supplement that helps relieve arthritic pain by helping the bones absorb calcium faster and preventing further loss of cartilage. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a rheumatologist.