Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. SelvakumarYour feedback matters!
My baby is 10 month old. I am giving him safola masala oats. Shall I continue is that does not cause any problem sir/mam?
As a parent, we all love our children deeply. And most of us will agree that these days parenting is very demanding and exhausting instead of pleasurable and joyous process. What has changed? It is not that children are any different. The difference is in the environment around them with stronger social influences; and this also affects the way we parent. In today's more democratic and egalitarian world; 'Do as I say and not as I do' style of parenting does not work. But, 'I will do as I see you doing' phrase from kids define our parent child relationship.
With change in social environment and influence, our strategies for correcting their behaviour and impart discipline has to undergo adaptation! When there are so many confusing and conflicting signals reach to our kids from their environment, whether we like it or not, we are still their role models. How positive parenting style will help? The core principle of positive parenting is to accept your child as an individual. We are in a democratic society and family is a small yet important part of society. Democracy does not mean allowing disrespectful and irresponsible behaviour; rather to effectively help kids change their behaviour and create harmonious and cooperative relationship with them. It also means that we as a parent need to learn to think, act and react in a different way.
Through, positive parenting, you will learn respectful disciplining methods, which would work better than demanding compliance. Through these principles and tips you will get your child to listen without screaming, nagging, reminding or evoking rebellious behaviour. More importantly this is all about building stronger relationship bond with your children and nurture them through early childhood to teen age years as they become independent, responsible, capable, kind, happy and successful young adults.
Tips to get you started:
- Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity, including children.
- When your kid misbehaves instead of shouting or hitting, control your anger and respond in a calm and respectful way. Calmer but firmer tone and lower voice, yet not giving into their repeated demand, is much more effective as a discipline tool compare to nagging.
- Understandable that you have a lot on your plate, such as work, managing and keeping the home in order, managing meals and other outside responsibilities, kids sports or extracurricular activities, family obligations and so on. It is easy to get lost in all these 'have to do' activities. Parenting shouldn't be just one more task to deal with. Reconnecting with your parenting goals and aspirations periodically will help take the stress out of it and add fun into it. Spend some time daily (10 minutes will do as well!) to just listen and enjoy your child (without correcting them or giving them suggestion to improve!).
- Let your love for them be the driving force. Shift your internal conversations from 'have to' to 'want to'. As you do enormous things for your child each day, think how you are supporting their ambitions. How you are helping them become independent and strong. How you are nurturing qualities like compassion and deep listening by extending yourself.
- Give promises and keep them. As your children grow they need much more than your words to trust and rely on you. Keeping your promises, letting them know if you need to change the plan, taking their opinion in appropriate matter will go a long way.
- Seek to understand and do not impose yourself on your child. Especially when they are in their teenage, as a parent you have lot of worries, you are afraid of them making mistakes and of course you want to protect them from vices. Listening to them while keeping your focus on genuinely understanding them is the only way to go, when they know you understand them and they can trust you, the street between both of you turns two way street! They will be open to your wisdom and suggestion when they are at the cross road.
- Last but not the least, 'be a role model'. Don't preach. If they see you disrespecting others, they will not respect you. If they see you hooked on your smart phone; that is their license to keep theirs in front of their eyes 24/7. If you are hooked in front of the TV till late night and haven't picked up a book in last 6 months. Advice about reading is going to fall on dumb ears. In short, be the change you want to see in your children.
- Have family nights at least once in a week, play cards, board games or go for a walk together. Talk and listen. Just be there and listen without judgement and criticism, without thinking about how to correct them. Just enjoy each other's company and see how they are changing their opinion about you. Positive parenting doesn't mean you will never have problems in your family. You will? if you are alive and growing family. Positive parenting style will open up the avenues to keep communication alive; it will open your children to your influence. Isn't it something that we all wish for!!
I have boy he is 8 years old. He usually take coffee with his dinner. How bad it is to take coffee at night.
My baby she is 7 years old she has cold and cough and tonsil problemcontentious what medicine should I give her please suggest me.
Here are 6 signs to watch out for that could indicate 'You need to get your Ears tested':
1. Your TV is blaring: Do you often find people around you shouting above the TV sound complaining that it's too loud? When you find it hard to hear the TV at the average volume and find yourself turning up the sound, this could signify a hearing loss. Doctors are seeing a growing number of patients visiting them after prolonged exposure to loud music and sounds.
2. You find it hard to hear phone conversations: Do you find yourself asking the person on the other end of the phone line to 'repeat' themselves, or find yourself pressing the phone instrument right into your ear? If you are trying so hard to hear, you might find yourself missing out on bits of the conversation as focussing to clearly hear the conversation is exhausting work. Getting a hearing test might be a good option if this sounds like you.
3. You have trouble hearing in noisy environments: When you are out dining with friends or family at a busy restaurant or accompanying a friend shopping in a busy street, all that background noise makes it difficult to hear what the people are saying. People with hearing loss often have problems masking out background noise.
4. Family members telling 'you're going deaf'?: Trust the views of the people closest to you, they never lie about your health. Family members often are the first to sense signs of hearing loss as they find themselves repeating things to you or calling out louder to get your 'attention'.
5. You find yourself staying away from social occasions, family gatherings or avoid being the first to start conversations
6. You find yourself leaning closer to people to follow the conversation or staring at their lips trying to lip-read what's being said.
Want to know about PCV vaccination for my 2 month baby.Is it is an important vaccination? ?what is the cost?
Next month my son will be completing 2 years. The issue with him is that till date he don't speak words except mumma and papa. Please suggest me doctors what should I do so that he talks? Or how can I develop an interest to learn things?
Preconception planning: Be prepared to give your baby the best from the start.
Hello, my son is one year old he has deficiency of hemoglobin please suggest me some easy ways which increase hemoglobin in him.
My daughter is 10 year old, she has started developing her body. We are worried about her puberty. Kindly advise how to delay her puberty.
I have given my daughter carrots in her food (lunch & dinner). But the next day I found undigested particles of carrot in her stool. She is absolutely fine. The quality of the stool was also good. I am afraid that is it indigestion? She has recently suffered from UTI and lost 2 kgs. She also suffers from constipation. Her age is 2 years 3 months.
My baby is 3 months I am not having milk so I am giving formula bt I frequently give breast milk to suck but fr the past 4 days he is not sucking my milk bt having formula I donno what to do. Plzzz suggest any way.
Hi doctor. Is lactogen safe for new born babies. My baby weight was 4.25 kg while delivery. Now it's 4 kg. My feeding is not sufficient for him it seems. So if it cries in hungry, we give lactogen often. Is it safe or it has side effects?
My son, details given below is underweight and underweight and poorest eating habits to the extent of not eating any vegetables, fruits, chapatis, milk. He is very much full of anger, gets provoked on small things, gets irritated easily, doesn't pay attention to his physical hygiene. Pls suggest any homoeopathic way of treatment at normal price preferably in South Delhi. Thanks.
My 3 year old is sick with a temperature of 100 degrees she can not keep anything down including liquids. I gave her less than an ounce of water and she threw it up within a matter of seconds! I have tried infant tylenol crackers and water please help.
After multiple patients have asked us about the authenticity of oil pulling as a technique, here's what we have to say:
There is no denying all of us wait for a miracle cure to that terrible disease called dental decay. Much of a dentists or a dental hygienists time goes into answering the question,
why do cavities happen? or how do I prevent cavities?
While people usually assume the answer is brushing and flossing there are some lesser known ancient techniques and some ultramodern gadgets that have contributed to our arsenal of options to keep your mouth healthy.
Oil pulling being one of them has been in the limelight of late.
What is oil pulling?
This oral therapy is a type of ayurvedic medicine that dates back 3, 000 years. It involves swishing approximately 1 tablespoon of oil typically coconut, sesame, or sunflower oil in semisolid form (as shown in the pic) in your mouth for about 20 minutes and then spitting it out.
Start with just 5 minutes a day. Twenty minutes of swishing is a long time, and while the longer you pull, the more bacteria you'll remove, 5 or 10 minutes will still offer some benefit.
A gentle swishing, pushing, and sucking the oil through the teeth is all that's required
Don't swallow. if you find it hard not to, you likely have too much oil in your mouth, spit it out and try again with a smaller amount. just discard the used oil into the nearest cup or trash can.
Why oil pulling? how does it work?
Recent studies show that oil pulling helps against gingivitis, plaque, and microorganisms that cause bad breath.
How? most microorganisms inhabiting the mouth consist of a single cell, cells are covered with a lipid, or fatty, membrane, which is the cell's skin. When these cells come into contact with oil, a fat, they naturally adhere to each other.
Use coconut oil. While you can get the same bacteria-fighting benefits with sesame or sunflower oil, coconut oil has the added benefit of lauric acid, which is well-known for its anti-microbial agents. Also, a recent study found that coconut oil may help prevent tooth decay.
coconut and sunflower oil aren't the only oils with dental health benefits. For irritated, inflamed gums, rub a little vitamin e oil directly on the surface. It's rich in antioxidants, easily absorbed, and helps regenerate healthy gum tissue.
Whitening teeth by keeping clean and smooth surfaces that do not lodge food.
Eliminates bad breath
Preventing gum infections caused by harmful bacteria in the mouth
It doesn't reverse the effects of tooth decay, but it's a great supplemental therapy to reduce the bacterial count in the mouth thereby decreasing the likelihood of decay and other dental and systemic diseases.
The only disclaimer we would want to put in is
Do not ingest or swallow the oil in all your enthusiasm and,
Don't skip brushing and flossing. Oil pulling should never replace routine dental visits and traditional home oral care.
While oil pulling can't change your life or make you never need to go to a dentist again -try it for yourself, if it reduces your chances of decay and maybe even helps you ace your next dental visit with no new cavities.
We say thumbs up! pull away!
Please try this safe and natural practice and let us know how you find it in the comments section.