Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Surrogacy
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Management of Postnatal Care
Adiana System Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Saroja RamanathanYour feedback matters!
I am undergoing IVF treatment. My stimulation day is 3. Kindly suggest me what is good and what precautions to take during IVF?
Let's be clear about what turmeric can not do:
Turmeric usually does not cause significant side effects -- ( The truth is that some people can experience stomach upset, nausea, dizziness, or diarrhea)
You can use turmeric if you have gallbladder problems -- (The truth is that turmeric can make gallbladder problems worse)
Turmeric is not helpful for diabetes -- (The truth is that early research suggests that taking turmeric daily for 9 months can reduce the number of people with prediabetes who develop diabetes.)
Now that we have cleared up what Turmeric cannot do, let's talk about what it Can do for you.
Turmeric has been used for roughly 4000 years as a medicine for a wide variety of medical conditions. Turmeric was mainly for digestive issues, but can be used to treat everything from indigestion to cancer.
The main active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin, and according to UMMC, 'Curcumin is also a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants scavenge molecules in the body known as free radicals, which damage cell membranes, tamper with DNA, and even cause cell death.
Antioxidants can fight free radicals and may reduce or even help prevent some of the damage they cause. In addition, curcumin lowers the levels of two enzymes in the body that cause inflammation. It also stops platelets from clumping together to form blood clots.'
Turmeric has been shown to treat:
The research that back up these claim is extensive to say the least. For instance, a publication from The International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell
'Although safe in most cases, ancient treatments are ignored because neither their active component nor their molecular targets are well defined. This is not the case, however, with curcumin, a yellow pigment substance and component of turmeric (Curcuma longa), which was identified more than a century ago. For centuries it has been known that turmeric exhibits anti-inflammatory activity, but extensive research performed within the past two decades has shown that the activity of turmeric is due to curcumin, a diferuloylmethane. This agent has been shown to regulate numerous transcription factors, cytokines, protein kinases, adhesion molecules, redox status and enzymes that have been linked to inflammation. The process of inflammation has been shown to play a major role in most chronic illnesses, including neurodegenerative, cardiovascular, pulmonary, metabolic, autoimmune and neoplastic diseases.'
The publications concludes:'The wisdom and scientific credentials of curcumin in the Ayurvedic and Chinese systems of medicine have been corroborated by numerous studies conducted over the past 30 years. These observations are also supported by epidemiological data suggesting lower incidence of chronic diseases in people from countries where curcumin is consumed. The various effects of curcumin have been widely studied in Western systems of medicine for decades, and has been found to possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. Considering that inflammation plays a major role in most chronic illnesses, anti-inflammatory agents are needed for prevention purposes. Although several different steroids and NSAIDS (such as celecoxib, aspirin, ibuprofen, phenylbutazole, etc.) have been approved for treatment of inflammatory conditions, most of them have side effects, especially when consumed over long periods of time. Because curcumin inhibits multiple proinflammatory pathways and is affordable, this phytochemical should be further explored for prevention and treatment of various chronic diseases. Further clinical trials are needed to fully develop the potential of this 'age-old NSAID'.
My wife is suffering with severe stomach ache and back pain during periods how can she overcome that.
I am 22 year female I married before 11 month my first pregnancy fail after that every month I having pain in stomach and I try for pregnancy but it can not work and every month my menses not regular?
I had miscarriages twice, 2nd one was last year, now I want to plan again. Got some tests done and now doctor say I can try, but still I am not confident if third pregnancy will work or not. Need some guidance on that part.
What r the causes of less flow during menstrual cycle, does it because of less endometrium thickness. If yes then how it can be cured.
We are trying for second baby since 4 years now. We both are 38 years old and my wife is having pcos. All other tests like thyroid, HSG are normal. She took letrozole, oosure for six months but no results. Is there any cure for pcos? As we cannot wait more because of age factor, Will laparoscopic ovarian drilling help in our case? What are the chances of conception after this procedure ?or we should go for IUI or IVF? Which treatment is advisable? Multiple opinions from all doctors would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Dear Docter , after putting Vaginal tablets , there was heavy bleeding for a week then bleeding stop , again 2 times minor bleeding gap of 1 week , then after 3rd week I again self test by Prega news kit test was positive , then 3rd time again bleeding for 2 days .So I am fully worried .Pls help
रोज़ स्नान कीजिये
· पर्याप्त नींद(7-8)
· स्वस्थ और पौष्टिक आहार खाइए, जंक भोजन जैसे की बर्गर, पिज़ा इत्यादि न खाइए या कम खाइए
· रोज़ व्यायाम कीजिये
· खूब पानी पीजिये
· रसदार फल जैसे की संतरा, सेब, आम, केला इत्यादि रोज़ खाइए
· नारियल पानी भी सेहत के लिए बहुत लाभदायक होता है.
तन की सेहत के साथ मन का स्वस्थ रहना भी आवश्यक है.
मन या दिमाग को स्वस्थ रखने के नुस्खे :-
· टेंशन या स्ट्रेस न लें
· पर्याप्त नींद
· रोज़ व्यायाम करें
· अगर कोई बात परेशां कर रही हो तो किसी मित्र से बातें या किसी कागज़ पर लिख दें
· मधुर संगीत भी मस्तिष्क के लिए अछा होता है
· पौष्टिक आहार खाएं व खूब जल पियें
· अगर आपको लगें की चिंता हद से ज्यादा हो रही है तो किसी मनोवैज्ञानिक की सलाह लें
· डिप्रेशन से बचें.
इन साधारण बातो का ध्यान रखने से अप एक सुखी व स्वस्थ जीवन जी सकते हैं
How to calculate ovulation date? if m having irregular period cycle. Which is some times 35-36 days or some times 30-32. In this case my period date was 6 th march then 11th april n this month was 9 th may. M trying to conceive. Please guide me.
Pcod + thyroid + psoriasis was diagnosed a few years back and took appropriate allopathic for some time and then homeopathic medication for 3-4 yrs. Pcod was not found after 2nd ultra sound. Eltroxin 25mg continues, though the thyroid test was normal recently. But I have gained weight and have small dark spots appearing near knee and on left breast. Scalp remains super sticky flaky and dry, too much hair fall. No period since 6 months. Sleep deprivation till 3am most nights has been there on and off since many years. Feel low suddenly and I stay alone. Are these all interconnected and what can be controlled in diet apart from adding workout to routine?
I have swelling in my vagina which is itchy and feels dryness there and while having sex it burns and feels itchy too.
You might be extremely conscious of our health and might be working out on a daily basis in order to be fit. However do you know, getting the best result from your workout depends on a number of factors, the most important being the food you consume right before exercise.
Having these 6 foods will give you the best results:
1. Chicken - It is a lean protein and is perfect to build muscle. Also, chicken is rich in healthy minerals and nutrients while being low in fat, thus making it one of the healthiest products to consume before your daily workout.
2. Nuts - Nuts are abundant sources of protein and healthy fats and thus no matter what kind of nuts you consume before working out; they are guaranteed to improve your exercise regime.
3. Milk and Cereal - Milk has the goodness of protein and being liquid it also keeps your body hydrated during the workout. Cereals, on the other hand, are rich sources of carbohydrates that promote muscle growth. Try to pick cereals that are made of grains and have low sugar content.
4. Pasta - It is filled with carbohydrates and rapidly travels through your digestive system, thus instantly giving energy to your body. Moreover, the starchy carbohydrates provide stamina to help build perseverance during the workout.
5) Peanut Butter - It has high calorie content and thus can easily help you build muscle. In addition, it is a rich source of fat and thus consuming peanut butter helps you get the required healthy fat to burn as fuel while you work out.
6) Yogurt - If you indulge in muscle-building exercises and strength training, yogurt can do you a lot of good. This is because it is an abundant source of protein and also contains an adequate amount of minerals and nutrients.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over WhatsApp, Facebook and other media.
Thalassemia is a genetic (which is passed from parents to children through genes) blood disorder. People with Thalassemia disease are not able to make enough hemoglobin, which causes severe anemia. Hemoglobin is found in red blood cells and carries oxygen to all parts of the body. When there is not enough hemoglobin in the red blood cells, oxygen cannot get to all parts of the body. Organs then become starved for oxygen and are unable to function properly.
There are two types of Thalassemia disease
- Alpha Thalassemia disease: There are two main types of Alpha Thalassemia disease. Alpha Thalassemia Major is a very serious disease in which severe anemia begins even before birth. Pregnant women carrying affected fetuses are themselves at risk for serious pregnancy and delivery complications. Another type of Alpha Thalassemia is Hemoglobin H disease. There are varying degrees of Hemoglobin H disease.
- Beta Thalassemia disease: Beta Thalassemia Major (also called Cooley's Anemia) is a serious illness. Symptoms appear in the first two years of life and include paleness of the skin, poor appetite, irritability, and failure to grow. Proper treatment includes routine blood transfusions and other therapies.
Causes of Thalassemia
Thalassemia occurs when there’s an abnormality or mutation in one of the genes involved in hemoglobin production. You inherit this genetic defect from your parents.
If only one of the parents is a carrier for thalassemia, the child may develop a form of the disease known as thalassemia minor. If this occurs, the born child probably won’t have symptoms, but he/she will be a carrier of the disease. Some people with thalassemia minor do develop minor symptoms.
If both of your parents are carriers of thalassemia, you have a greater chance of inheriting a more serious form of the disease.
The symptoms depend on the type of thalassemia:
- Thalassemia Minor: Thalassemia minor usually doesn’t cause any symptoms. If it does, it causes minor anemia.
- Beta-thalassemia: Beta-thalassemia comes in two serious types, which are thalassemia major, or Cooley’s anemia, and thalassemia intermedia. The symptoms of thalassemia major generally appear before a child’s second birthday. The severe anemia related to this condition can be life-threatening. Other signs and symptoms include:
- frequent infections
- a poor appetite
- failure to thrive
- jaundice, which is a yellowing of the skin or the whites of the eyes
- enlarged organs
This form of thalassemia is usually so severe that it requires regular blood transfusions.
- Alpha-thalassemia: Alpha-thalassemia also has two serious types, which are hemoglobin H disease and hydrops fetalis. Hemoglobin H disease can cause bone issues. The cheeks, forehead, and jaw may all overgrow. Hemoglobin H disease can cause:
- jaundice, which is a yellowing of the skin or the whites of the eyes
- an extremely enlarged spleen
Hydrops fetalis is an extremely severe form of thalassemia. It occurs before birth. Most individuals with this condition are either stillborn or die shortly after being born.
How is thalassemia diagnosed?
Thalassaemia is often detected during pregnancy or soon after birth.
- Screening during pregnancy: Screening to check if a baby is at risk of being born with thalassemia is offered to all pregnant women.
- Testing after birth or later in life: Newborn babies aren't routinely tested for thalassemia because the test used isn't always reliable soon after birth and the condition isn't immediately dangerous. However, the main form of the condition – beta thalassemia major – is often picked up as part of the newborn blood spot test (heel prick). A blood test can be carried out at any point to diagnose the condition if a child or adult has symptoms of thalassemia and the condition wasn't picked up earlier on.
- Testing for the Thalassemia Trait- A blood test can be done at any time to find out if you have the thalassemia trait and are at risk of having a child with the condition. This can be particularly useful if you have a family history of the condition or your partner is known to carry thalassemia.
If your child has thalassemia, blood tests may reveal:
- A low level of red blood cells
- Smaller than expected red blood cells
- Pale red blood cells
- Red blood cells that are varied in size and shape
- Red blood cells with uneven hemoglobin distribution, which gives the cells a bull's-eye appearance under the microscope
Blood tests may also be used to:
- Measure the amount of iron in your child's blood
- Evaluate his or her hemoglobin
- Perform DNA analysis to diagnose thalassemia or to determine if a person is carrying mutated hemoglobin genes
Treatment for Thalassemia-
The treatment for thalassemia depends on the type and severity of disease involved. Your doctor will give you a course of treatment that will work best for your particular case.
Some of the utilized treatments include:
- blood transfusions
- a bone marrow transplant (BMT)
- medications and supplements
- possible surgery to remove the spleen or gallbladder
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
If you have a healthy pregnancy, there’s no reason why you and your partner can not have sex. You would not hurt your baby by making love.
There are, however, some circumstances where you may have to be careful about having sex.
If you’ve had any bleeding or spotting in early pregnancy, your doctor may advise you not to have sex until you reach 14 weeks. Your doctor may say it is best not to have sex for the rest of your pregnancy if you have:
- a history of cervical weakness
- a low-lying placenta (placenta praevia)
- had heavy bleeding
- had a vaginal infection
It is advisable to consult your gynecologist if you have a doubt ask your gynecologist. Your doctor is the best person to advise in such matters.