Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Saravanan. V
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Saravanan. VYour feedback matters!
Hi, My friend took ipill for the first time and she is 24, will it have adverse effects even though she was not pregnant n she took I pill.
Hi doctor. Me and my girlfriend had sex 23 days ago. She missed her periods for one day. But we used condoms. Still we are worrying coz my girlfriend having only mild back pain for last 3 day on and off rather then than no symptoms what so ever. Coz she missed periods one day. We are getting afraid. Will it be a pregnancy. It's been 23 days we had sex using condoms. One mild pack pain on and off she's getting. Will this be a pregnancy or just our fear. Thank you.
Iron Intake Fact!
I have been married and it's 2 years passed now, I have abortion 2 times so I consulted doctor she said that it wasp due to travelling during starting period and their is nothing problem. After that my husband was away from me for about 3 months due his work, now we are together so if I want to get pregnant as early as possible so what are the precautions I need to take?
I am having irregular periods. Last month 14 Jan I am in periods. Still now 70 days gone. No periods for still now. No sexual activity. What is the reasons? Kindly Recommend any type of tablets and syrup for periods.
I am 44 years old for the past 7months am suffering from both breasts and nipple pain CBC reports is normal sonomemography is done it is few tiny cysts in right breast pancheyma and minimal duct ectasia in left retro areola doctor prescribed me evion 400 mg codesoft. And now nervox 30 mg pl suggest me which tab is best for fibrocystic breast whether evion 400 mg or tab codesoft and why tab nervox 30 mg is used for pl give perfect answer from breasts expert doctor waiting for perfect replay.
HI im 25 years female, got married one and a half year back, im trying for a baby but when I consulted a gynaec she told me that I have thyroid problem but after 1 month when I went for check up again, she told me that it is in control, but still there is no sign of pregnancy, can you help me in getting a solution?
Hi Dr. Is normoz tablet is safe during pregnancy. Because I have pcod but I have regular periods. So, is it safe to take normoz before and after pregnancy.
I have gained allot of weight post pregnancy since 1 year .i want to reduce belly fat and sides. Please help me with the best treatment at affordable cost.
It is very common for women to have heavy and painful periods or have a feeling of fullness in the lower abdomen. Although, it may not sound very alarming these could be the symptoms of uterine fibroids. These are the most common types of benign tumours found in women. The fibroids are basically some tissues and muscle cells that grow within the uterus, outside the uterus, or along the wall of the uterus. The fibroids are usually benign and asymptomatic and do not require any treatment unless they cause problems.
Know the causes
Though the exact cause of fibroid formation is not known, it is believed that the female hormones estrogen and progesterone have a role to play in their formation. Fibroids are formed only when a woman is producing these hormones and they are not seen in women in non-reproductive age i.e. before starting of menses or after stoppage of menses (menopause). If fibroids are persisting even after menopause or especially if increasing in size then it is an alarming sign. Such a fibroid needs to be taken care of immediately.
What are the symptoms?
Fibroids often remain quiet for long periods of time. They cause nonspecific symptoms in the pelvis and abdomen including:
- Fullness in the abdomen
- Low back pain
- Irregular menstruation
- Cramping with menstruation
- Painful sex
- Increased urgency to urinate
- Anemia, leading to tiredness and weakness
- Infertility Diagnosing the fibroids
When these symptoms are recurrent, it is good to confirm the diagnosis. This can happen with a pelvic exam followed by ultrasound scanning to confirm the size and location of the fibroids. A blood test also may be done to confirm anemia, which is common due to heavy periods.
Management of fibroids can range from doing nothing to periodic monitoring to surgical removal.
- If pain and heavy bleeding are the only symptoms, then pain killers like ibuprofen should suffice for symptomatic relief. Anemia, if severe, may require iron supplementation.
- Embolization is an option which shrinks the fibroid, at the same time preserving the uterus. The blood flow to the fibroid is cut off, thereby preventing its further growth. It takes about 1 to 3 hours and requires some bed rest after the procedure. There could be some pelvic pain and vaginal bleeding, which will gradually subside. The fibroids may grow back, but the benefits of keeping the uterus are definitely there. This is suitable in case of single fibroid with specific blood supply.
- The next surgical option is myomectomy, where the portion of the uterus which contains the fibroid alone is removed. This is done in women who still wish to get pregnant and in women who would like to retain the uterus. This can also be achieved laparoscopically( key hole surgery). In such cases, fibroids are cut into small pieces and then removed from the body. This procedure should be done by a doctor specialised in advanced gynecological endoscopy as all this cutting should be done in a bag to avoid any spillage of cells inside the abdominal cavity. This procedure is known as Laparoscopic Myomectomy with In-bag Moecellation.
- In women who have crossed their pregnancy phase, hysterectomy or complete removal of the uterus is advised. In these women, the bleeding and pain may not have subsided even after years of treatment with hormones. The growing fibroids could be pressing on the adjacent organs, causing pressure. This is the only definitive treatment and should be done in women have completed their family and don’t desire to be pregnant.
- Myomectomy and hysterectomy may be done laparoscopically or with an open method depending on the overall health, the size and location of the fibroids in the uterus.