Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. SaraswathiYour feedback matters!
Addiction not only includes physical things we consume, such as drugs or alcohol, but also includes virtually anything, such abstract things as gambling to seemingly harmless products, such as chocolate, etc. In other words, addiction may refer to a substance dependence (e.g. drug addiction) or behavioral addiction (e.g. gambling addiction).
Causes: There is a link between the repeated uses of an addictive substance and how the human brain experience pleasure, its use has a nice reward, leading to further and more frequent use. The addictive substance, be it nicotine, alcohol or some drug actually causes physical changes in some nerve cells in the brain. After a while, the user of the potentially addictive substance does not get the same pleasure and has to increase the dose, as his/her body's tolerance to it increases. Eventually, the user no longer experiences pleasure from the substance and takes it simply to prevent withdrawal symptoms taking the substance just makes them feel normal. When tolerance increases, the risk of addiction is much greater.
Signs and Symptoms: A person starts to show symptoms when a person takes the substance, such as nicotine , alcohol etc. and has given a serious attempt to stop, but is unable to do so because of the withdrawal symptoms. The body of an addict will go in withdrawal state when once the level of the substance abused is below a certain level. When a person goes in withdrawal state it will show signs, such as craving, bouts of moodiness, bad temper, poor focus, extreme temperament, poor focus, continuous feeling of depression, emptiness, frustration, anger, bitterness and resentment. Apart from these the addict will also display symptoms such as increased appetite, insomnia, constipation,and diarrhea. Withdrawal caused by some substances can also trigger signs like violence, seizures, hallucination, sweating and trembling, etc. However, the addiction continues despite health problem awareness. An addicted person commonly feels they need their drug in order to deal with their problems.
Investigation of Addiction: Blood test is advised to determine whether the substance is still in the blood (whether the substance has been taken recently). DSM criteria for substance dependence that is a patient diagnosed with substance dependence (an addiction) must meet criteria laid out in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), a manual published by the American Psychiatric Association.
What you can do?: Acknowledge the problem and consult for help from an expert. Family members must be supportive in creating a congenial environment for the addicted person.
Role of Homeopathy in Management of Addiction: The first step for the addicted person is to acknowledge that there is a substance dependency problem (addiction problem). The next step is to get help. In most of the world there are several support groups and professional services available. Treatment options for addiction depend on several factors, including what type of substance it is and how it affects the patients. Typically, treatment includes a combination of inpatient and outpatient programs, counselling (psychotherapy), self-help groups, pairing with individual sponsors, and medication.
Talking of medication, Homoeopathy definitely has a major role to play in the de-addiction journey of a 'patient'. Over the years it has been seen that homeopathy has produced tremendous results in such cases. People have approached for quitting alcohol, smoking, drugs, etc. and majority of them have been wonderfully helped by Homoeopathy. Those who haven't achieved desirable results have either lacked willingness or conviction on their own part, or have had a non-congenial and non-co-operative environment at home and work place. For any de-addiction plan to be successful for a patient these 2 factors are the most important. A willing person with a co-operative and supportive environment is much more receptive and responsive to the medical treatment.
The commonest attacking area for any addictive substance is the Central Nervous System (CNS). The substance inhibits the release of neurotransmitters, which are responsible for carrying nerve impulses. Once these neurotransmitters are inhibited in their normal functioning, a person develops delayed nervous responses and irregular nerve impulses leading to addiction. It is a vicious circle. So, as the centre of attack is the CNS, a medical system that boosts and strengthens the CNS would automatically prove beneficial in such dreadful cases. Homoeopathy is that very medical science! The homoeopathic medicines are absorbed through the nerve root endings of the tongue and directly hit the CNS. There are some very powerful Homoeopathic medicines, which have the ability to shake up the CNS and work in a normal manner as it is used to be. These Homoeopathic medicines, thus have the ability to develop control and also the power to abstain from the substance in later stages of the treatment.
But the first and foremost attempt is made to manage the withdrawal symptoms. It is the fear of the withdrawal symptoms only that a patient may lose conviction and confidence in him and give in to the indulgence once again. This is where the role of family and friends also comes in. when the struggle of 1 man becomes fight for the whole team; chances are very high of coming out victorious. There are brilliant medicines in Homoeopathic science, which can help the person in managing and fighting with the withdrawal symptoms with ease. Medicines like Nux vomica, Kali phos., Arsenic Album, Coffea cruda, Aconite, Gelsemium, Argentum nitricum, Ipecac, Acid sulphurosum, Caladium, Daphna indica, Quercus, etc. have proved to be extremely effective in helping a person wean off completely of the addictive substances.
Mind the Mind: Over the past two issues, we took up the burning problem of addiction as a mental illness, explored its, nature and probable causes that go into the making of an addict. The current issue is aimed at spreading awareness about the available evidence based psychological treatments for de-addiction.
- Psychotherapy: Also called as 'talk therapy', is aimed at helping the patient to understand the link between their thoughts, feelings and behaviour so that the maladaptive ones can be replaced with more adaptive and productive processes. Interventions in terms of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Motivation Enhancement Therapy (MET) and Behaviour Therapy are efficient in the treatment of addiction behaviour.
- Craving control: Use of certain medicines and behavioural techniques can help a person deal with the intense feelings of craving when it seems too much to bear. It gives a sense of greater control to the person over the substance, which in turn motivates him/her to stay away from using the substance. Many people report that they tend to continue the abuse the substance since they are unable to handle the period of intense craving, which can come all of a sudden.
- Relapse prevention: Arguably it is the most important component of de-addiction program. Leaving the substance is not that hard, but staying away from it is the most difficult part as reported by many patients with addiction. To ensure that the person stays clean and healthy without the substance, they are taught some techniques like asking for help whenever they feel the need to do the substance or staying away from potentially, dangerous situations, like going to party where alcohol is available. With therapy, the individual gains more confidence in his/her own abilities rather than depending on the substance for facing life situations. In addition to this, they also start enjoying their life without the substance. Both the patient and his/her family play an important part in this process hence they are educated about it and are advised regarding appropriate ways of ensuring sobriety for the patient.
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA): It is a self-hellp group in which ex-alcoholics come together and share their experiences, for instance how they got into drinking, how it affected their life and now how they are maintaining their sobriety. These are mostly weekly sessions and have been found to be very effective in supporting the recovery of alcoholics to stay motivated and be clean without the use of alcohol. Similar to AA, there is NA (Narcotics Anonymous for drug addicts) and Al-Anon (for the family members and friends of problem drinkers).
- Yoga and exercise: A healthy daily routine with yoga or regular exercise promotes feelings of general well-being and ensures healthy mind and body. It detoxifies the body faster and even helps in recovering from the damage caused due to excessive substance use.
- Social skill training: An important aspect for being away from drugs/alcohol is the ability to say NO to such offers from others. Assertive behaviour, healthy communication pattern and good problem solving ability are skills that are taught to assist the person to stay healthy without feeling the need to take the substance.
One of the simplest, yet very powerful principles of staying healthy is 'ONE DAY AT A TIME'! Instead of making any long-term plans for staying sober, which might seem over-whelming and extremely difficult, just plan for that very day and DECIDE to be clean without the substance.
I am suffering with herpes zoraster last 10 day and under going through server pain in my left hand side please suggest some effective medicine, presently I am taking combiflame। But not great result.
This is my 3rd month in pregnancy. During pregnancy still bleeding comes out when ever I do work hard. Please givE me a suggestion. Even I am suffer with pain in kidney areA.
Her period has stopped around 53 days and We tested urine through prega news kit and result was negative, in this situation what should we do?
Yesterday while in a public bathroom I thought these little spots of red were just paint until I turned on the sink to wash my hands and it turned out that it was blood. Now, if that person had aids am I in any way susceptible to getting it?�I have no cuts on my hands.
I am 29 years old. I had a miscarriage one year back. When doctor did ultrasound she said there is no heartbeat of baby. So I abort a baby. Its one year passed I am not able to conceive again. I consulted a gynae she gave me fertomid 50 but no output so she said now I should go for tubes test. Might be doctor who aborted has blocked the tubes. I am bit confused. What should I do now ?
Am having a pale but visible line from belly button to private parts. But I have some kind of foreplay with my bf after 2-3 days completion of my period. My last period date was on 15th july. We haven't done the intercourse but he rubbed his genitals against mine. We were nude though. Is this line on my belly means I am pregnant? Please help. I am also feeling dizziness and weakness. But we haven't done the intercourse. On 10th august means today I noticed some brown discharge from vagina and mild stomach pain. Am I pregnant. Please help.
She had pain in breast and private part when he climbing stairs nd do some work! and this is from 2 or 3 weeks so what will we she do please tell any idea or precaution.
My wife had an ipill after unprotected sex within 72 hrs, after a day we decided that we will have a baby & so had an unprotected sex, it's been a month & a half now since she had her last periods, is there any chances if she can get periods again or get pregnant. Please advice.
I had an unsafe sex 2009 to 2012. Then last month august 4th I checked my STD in which all tests came negative. (Only hsv1positive) I have never had oral sex. Okay but I accept that I have hsv 1. When I was reading about HSV on Google, I read too much about HPV Since the last three months I have read about HPV, I feel like a hpv. After that, my condition was very bad. I showed my skin specialist doctor, so my doctor said that after such a long time period, you do not need to worry anymore But I do not believe in my doctor because the HPV has penetrated in my body, it is not coming out either. Next year my marriage please help me .2009 to 2017 almost 9 years have passed I still have the possibility of being HPV? I haven't any health issues still bot now days I am over thinking about hpv. please help me.
Hi I'm married women I want to know secure days for sex so that I will not get pregnant.Please tell.
Cinnamon is usually seen as a condiment added to almost any kind of dish to make it flavourful. But no dish in this world has ingredients which do not benefit the eater nutritionally. Cinnamon has been used for a long time in Ayurvedic medicines. It is a natural ingredient which keeps people healthy and nourished.
There are several benefits of consuming cinnamon some of them are explained below.
- Antioxidants: Polyphenol is one such antioxidant that is present in cinnamon. In fact, a study has shown that out of twenty-six natural ingredients which contain this property, cinnamon has emerged as a clear winner, even leaving behind garlic. It is also the antioxidant-rich property of cinnamon which makes it a well-known preservative. Thus apart from adding flavour, and having anti oxidant properties, cinnamon also preserves the food for a longer time.
- Anti-inflammatory: This is one of the most important properties of cinnamon. This helps in fighting diseases and keeps infections and diseases causing germs at bay.
- Helps in controlling heart diseases: Diabetes is one of the main causes of heart disease. However, it can be kept in control by controlling cholesterol levels and triglyceride levels. This can be effectively done by cinnamon. Thus by controlling diabetes and increasing good cholesterol in the body, cinnamon actually reduces the risk of getting heart diseases.
- Reduces insulin resistance: Insulin is an important element in the body. It controls hormonal and even blood sugar levels in the body. However, there are many people who have resistance to insulin. This actually is a serious issue which can give rise to diabetes and various other problems. However, a minimal intake of cinnamon everyday reduces the risk of being insulin resistant and helps the body to accept insulin more readily.
- Lowers blood sugar level: After mentioning how cinnamon makes insulin more acceptable in the body, it is important to highlight the other factors which are controlled by this ingredient which helps in maintaining a balanced sugar level in the body. First, it regulates the glucose entering the body. Second, cinnamon is made of a particular type of compound which can act as a substitute for insulin.
- Cancer: Till date, even after heavy research and tests, cancer has no definite cure. But theory has it that there are many natural preventive measures which can be taken against this deadly disease- consumption of cinnamon being one of them.
Thus, these are some of the main advantages of consuming Cinnamon. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.
Hi. I'm 21 years old. I have not had sex before. Yesterday I had anal sex. Is there any possibility that I become pregnant. Even genital organs came nearby.
I am suffering with pcos problem .i consulted one doctor she gave me metahormic hydrochloric acid 500 mg tablets .i was having irregular periods after having tht tablets I got 1 normal period. After that again I missed tht period and I checked for pregnancy I got negative. So what I have to do now to get normal periods again. I should continue those tablets ?or I have to consult a doctor again ?what I should do now.
Me and my fiancee had sex on 21st of last month but condom broke so she had a ipill in 3 hours. She had bleeding from 25th to 29th. We again had sex on 5th of this month. Her regular periods starts from 23rd of every month and never delayed. But this time she did not have periods and its 28. Any chance of getting pregnant?
Today, I had sex with my boyfriend and while washing, I realized that my periods has started. So, should I take i-pill?
Recently my mother has witnessed, near her thigh & knees area, thin pink veins, very prominent. Kindly suggest something, if it's a reason to worry?
Cholesterol pockets or Xanthelasma are yellow patches of cholesterol that form in the inner portion of the eyelids. These patches are not harmful; however, they can be a source of cosmetic concern. This condition can be indicative of an underlying heart disease.
Who are the most vulnerable to this disease?
Xanthelasma is a very rare condition that only affects people who have high blood cholesterol levels. However, this condition has been seen to develop even if one’s cholesterol levels are found to be normal. Usually, people in their middle age are the most susceptible to this condition. Xanthelasma affects women more as compared to men.
High blood cholesterol level is the primary cause for this disorder. One might be prone to this disorder if the percentage of bad cholesterol (LDL) in the body is on the higher side. Another liver disorder known as ‘biliary cirrhosis’, is also known to increase blood cholesterol levels. Generally, Asians are the most vulnerable to this disease.
Derma Treatments for Xanthelasma-
As these patches do not disappear on their own, they need to be given medical attention. Usually, it’s the cosmetic concern that urges one to go for the treatment. The various treatment options for this disorder are:
Surgical removal of the cholesterol pockets.
These pockets can also be removed with a laser.
Certain medications such as trichloroacetic acid can be used to dissolve these patches.
Cryosurgery, a procedure whereby the cholesterol pockets are exposed to freezing temperatures, is also another treatment option.
Electrodessication is a surgical procedure to get rid of the cholesterol pockets. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.