Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in Chennai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sangeetha Visweswar
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Sangeetha VisweswarYour feedback matters!
Gynecomastia or'woman-like breasts.
It is a benign enlargement of the male breast resulting from a proliferation of the glandular component of the breast.
Gynecomastia is defined clinically by the presence of a rubbery or firm mass extending concentrically from the nipples. The condition known as pseudogynecomastia, or lipomastia, is characterized by fat deposition without glandular proliferation. Although it is usually bilateral, it can be unilateral.
It is an abnormal development of mammary glands in males resulting in breast enlargement. It is not normal for men to have breasts and this makes this condition very embarrassing and may causes low self-esteem especially in teenagers.
It is very common in adolescents. It occurs due to hormonal imbalance in the male body between the age of 12- 18 when estrogen is sometim
- A number of researchers believe that in many cases an altered androgen / estrogen ratio causes changes in cellular elements in breast tissue. This could be due to:
- Decrease in production of androgen
- Increase in estrogen formation
- Decrease in sensitivity of breast tissue to androgens
- Physiological during infancy and at puberty: gynecomastia can occur physiologically in neonates (due to female hormones from the mother) and sometimes at puberty.
- Refeeding: recovery from wasting diseases.
- Testicular agenesis: failure of testes to develop.
- Orchitis: inflammation of testes.
- Tumor of testes.
- Klinefelter’s syndrome.
- Imbalance of sex hormone: imbalance of estrogenic and androgenic hormones causes gynecomastia.
Drugs: digitalis, spironolactone, phenothiazine and so on. Approximately 4-10% cases are due to drugs. Spironolactone is a common cause, inducing gynecomastia in 10% of those receiving it as a treatment for heart failure. Digoxin and furosemide are also reported to cause gynecomastia.
Certain medications can promote breast growth. They interact with the natural levels of testosterone and estrogen, and upset the balance in some manner. Gynecomastia is a common consequence of estrogen treatment in patients with prostate cancer.
Drugs that may cause it include:
- Hormones (androgens, anabolic steroids, estrogen agonists)
- Antiandrogens or androgen-synthesis inhibitors
- Antibiotics (isoniazid, ketoconazole, metronidazole)
- Anti-ulcer medications such as cimetidine
- Cancer chemotherapeutics, especially alkylating agents
- Cardiovascular drugs, such as captopril and digitoxin
- Psychoactive agents, such as diazepam and tricyclic antidepressants
- Recreational drugs, such as alcohol and marijuana
Alcohol and drugs can cause gynecomastia by mimicking estrogen and stimulating androgen production. Steroids and other excess androgens are sometimes converted by the body into estrogens and consequently cause male breast problems.
Men over the age of 50 tend to produce fewer androgens such as testosterone or gain fat tissue that converts androgen into estrogen. In 3 percent of reported cases, gynecomastia can signal lung, liver, or adrenal cancer. Tumors can secrete estrogen, upsetting the hormonal balance.
- Breast prominence due to excessive adipose is often termed pseudogynecomastia or lipomastia.
- Cirrhosis of liver, rheumatoid arthritis, leprosy is associated with it.
- Any of the conditions that interfere with normal testosterone production, such as klinefelter’s syndrome or pituitary insufficiency, can be associated with gynecomastia.
- Aging: hormone changes that occur with normal aging can cause it, especially in men who are overweight.
- Tumors: some tumors, such as those involving the testes, adrenal glands or pituitary gland, can produce hormones that alter the male-female hormone balance.
- Hyperthyroidism: in this condition, the thyroid gland produces too much of the hormone thyroxine.
- Kidney failure: about half the people being treated with regular hemodialysis experience gynecomastia due to hormonal changes.
- Liver failure and cirrhosis: hormonal fluctuations related to liver problems as well as medications taken for cirrhosis are associated with it.
- Malnutrition and starvation: when the human body is deprived of adequate nutrition, testosterone levels drop, but estrogen levels remain constant, causing a hormonal imbalance.
Gynecomastia in bodybuilders
Some bodybuilders who abuse steroids develop it. It is often hidden behind the well developed chest muscles, but in later life, when the athlete becomes less active and the muscles become less prominent, the gynecomastia effects show up.
Signs And symptoms
Puffy nipples is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This glandular tissue accumulation is concentrated under and typically confined to the areola, or can be slightly extended outside the areola forming a dome shaped appearance to the areola.
Pure glandular gynecomastia is common in bodybuilders and is thought to be a result of the use of anabolic steroids. In this case it is known as anabolic-androgenic steroid (aas) induced gynecomastia. Due to excess testosterone levels from steroids, which is converted to estrogen, bodybuilders and other athletes are sometimes afflicted with gynecomastia in its purest form. Gynecomastia in lean men is usually only a breast tissue gland with little to no adipose tissue.
Congenital or hereditary gynecomastia is typically evident by the ages of 12 to 18 in boys. Thirty percent to sixty percent of young boys suffer from large male breasts. As many as thirty percent may live with enlarged male breasts for the rest of their lives, but in other cases it will recede with age. However, severe forms of adolescent gynecomastia may require an intervention, in consultation with the patient, the parents, and child development professionals.
Pseudogynecomastia is typical of enlarged diameter and or excessive areola projection. However, it is not composed of glandular tissue, but of adipose tissue. It looks much like typical gynecomastia but requires different treatment. Exercise and diet may be effective in combating pseudogynecomastia.
Unilateral / asymmetrical gynecomastia occurs when only one breast is larger due to gynecomastia, the other breast is typically normal in both size and shape. Bilateral asymmetry occurs when it is present in both breasts.
Green tea can effectively tone down your breast. According to recent studies, people who took green tea on a daily basis tend to burn more chest fat faster than who didn’t drink it.
Flax oil is a very effective appetite suppressant; means it makes you feel satiated. As a result you consume less food and there will be less deposition of fat on your body.
Stop taking all recreational drugs, such as marijuana.
Stop taking all nutritional supplements or any drugs you are taking for bodybuilding.
Gynecomastia is a problem affecting more men in society today. There are several causes of man boobs which could include hormonal imbalance and excess body fat. In addition, medical studies have shown that breast enlargement can be due to certain health issues or medical drugs. Diet and exercise along with homeopathy is one way to treat gynecomastia and in most cases are excellent alternatives to surgery.
If you have gynecomastia or man boobs, then it means that you have chest fat. Some people think that surgery is the only cure for the problem, but there are a couple of great chest exercises for gynecomastia. Most likely, the fat will be on your lower chest, so it is best to perform a chest exercise that will target your upper chest.
An exercise recommend for this is the incline bench press exercise. In this exercise, you need an incline weight bench. Most flat benches can be made to incline in case you didn’t know. To perform the exercise, you should lie on the incline bench and raise the weight bar vertically towards the ceiling. To complete one repetition, lower the weight to your upper chest and then raise it again. Try to complete 6 to 8 repetitions with each set, and try to perform 3 sets whenever you do the exercise. You should also adjust the weight such that 6 to 8 repetitions are achievable in each set.
A modification of this exercise is the incline dumbbell press in which dumbbells are used instead of a weight bar. Dumbbells have the advantage of allowing you to work each side of your body independently. When we use weight bars, our body’s stronger side tends to do more work while the other side gets shortchanged.
A treatment doesn’t get any more natural than this. Performing these exercises a couple times per week will have the effect of making your gynecomastia decrease over time along with homeopathy remedies.
Gynecomastia is not physically harmful, but in some cases can be an indicator of other more serious underlying conditions, such as testicular cancer.
Growing glandular tissue, typically from some form of hormonal stimulation, is often tender or painful.
Furthermore, it can frequently present social and psychological difficulties for the sufferer.
Weight loss can alter the condition in cases where it is triggered by obesity, but losing weight will not reduce the glandular component and patients cannot target areas for weight loss. Massive weight loss can result in sagging tissues about the chest, chest ptosis
I hav UTI infection from past 7 days. Initially der Wer small pimples near vagina n at the very low part of vagina der was little swelling. I applied ointment n got to normal again after 2 days thr Z severe burning. Am able to pass the urine but it burns so bad Wen cloth touches d skin. N d itching n burning Z nt at d side but on vaginal folded skin parts. I consulted Dr. She gav me wincit 10 tablet n tenovate M ointment. N she also gav AF kit which I will b taken tmrw. But from ointment n tablets I don't feel any relief. Could you please say what Z wrong with me? I am nt married but I do foreplay Wid my bf nvr had intercourse.
Today during sex my boyfriend was wearing 2 condoms at a time. Then he threw the inside condom in which the semen was filled. And used the outer condom again which was totally dry. So is there any chances of pregnancy? Am really scared as internet is showing various scary answers. So want to know the exact thing. Please do tell me in details as soon as possible.
Isabgol health benefits
Here are some health benefits that this super food has to offer.
The hygroscopic nature of the soluble fiber in isabgol helps in absorbing moisture and swelling up to form soft stools. The insoluble fiber in isabgol helps by providing enough roughage to the wastes and takes it towards the intestine. Together they make the elimination of the waste easy and painless.
How to consume – in case of constipation, isabgol is mostly consumed with warm milk. Milk is high in residue and thus together with isabgol acts as a wonderful remedy to relieve constipation effectively.
If you have severe constipation, add 2 tsp isabgol in a bowl with 1/ tsp sugar, and add warm milk to it, it will thicken and become sticky, you need to intake this at bedtime. In cases where constipation is not very severe or where stools are passed regularly but are hard, mix 1 tsp isabgol in warm milk.
Helps in diarrhoea
Yes it is hard to believe that isabgol can help in both extreme conditions of digestive system. This effect is due to the soluble fiber in isabgol. The soluble fiber absorbs the water in intestine and swells up to bind the loose stools.
How to consume – add 2 tsp isabgol to 3 tsp curd, mix well and eat it twice a day after eating food. The probiotics in the curd helps in healing and recovering from stomach infections.
Helps in weight loss
Fighting hunger is a big challenge while on a weight loss diet. Isabgol helps in reaching satiety. It makes you feel full. And also helps in cleaning the gut. While on weight loss, the body seems to be producing a lot of waste products due to the fat burning process. The sudden increase in intake of raw foods may be a little heavy on digestion and may cause constipation and flatulence. It is important to clear this waste from the body to remain healthy and feel fit. Taking isabgol every day will help in weight loss.
How to consume – isabgol can be consumed with a glass of warm water and lemon early in the morning or just before your main meals. This will help you reaching satiety (the feeling of fullness) early, and naturally reduce your food intake.
If you suffer from indigestion on a regular basis and are experiencing on and off episodes of constipation and diarrhoea, isabgol is your magic wand. Isabgol helps in regularizing the bowel movement and increasing the peristalsis of waste (movement of food towards intestine).
How to consume – you can have 1 tsp of isabgol with a glass of buttermilk after your lunch. In severe cases you can have this after lunch and dinner too.
You may b interested in reading – how to get instant relief from gas and indigestion
Controls cholesterol levels in blood
The soluble fiber in isabgol helps in reducing cholesterol from blood. It forms a gel with the excess cholesterol and fat in the gut and eliminates it with the wastes in the body. Not only does isabgol eliminate the excess fat, but it also helps by reducing the absorption of fat by the intestinal walls.
How to consume – isabgol can be consumed either in the morning or at night based on other problems. You can have it in any of the above mentioned ways.
Read – how to reduce triglycerides
Helps in diabetes
The insoluble fibre in isabgol helps in diabetes by managing hunger pangs. The soluble fiber in isabgol makes a gel with food inside the stomach and hence delays the digestion and absorption of food. This helps in keeping the sugar levels in blood near normal and does help against sugar level hikes in the blood.
How to consume – to maintain the blood sugar level, you can have 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp isabgol mixed with warm milk in a bowl. (please avoid adding sugar).
Read – 1200 calorie indian diabetic diet plan
Helps in conditions like piles and fissures
Isabgol is very helpful in conditions like piles and fissures. It helps in easy elimination of wastes by forming soft stools. Those who suffer from painful eliminations do benefit from isabgol.
How to consume – isabgol can be consumed with a glass of warm milk or warm water at bedtime.
Helps in acidity
Isabgol is a known home remedy for hyper acidity. Isabgol forms a gel with the content of stomach and protects the stomach lining by controlling the secretion of stomach acids and digestive juices.
How to consume – one can consume isabgol during an acidity episode with a cup of luke warm milk. If the acidity occurs regularly, one can continue to take this mix after meals for up to a week. The acidity episodes will surely reduce.
Isabgol is a boon to those who suffer with stomach problems, it has so many health benefits that isabgol suits to be called as a magical fiber.
Rice flakes, a paddy product is also popularly known as poha. Break-fast is the right time to consume poha rice since it has about 76.9% of carbohydrates and 23.1% of fats.
Keeping the basic method same, you can try many variations of it by adding several vegetables of your choice to pack it with vitamins and minerals.
Health benefits of poha: -
1. Lactose free, heart healthy and fat free
Gluten free, it can be consumed by those allergic to wheat products
2. Good source of instant energy as it is rice based and it will stave off hunger cravings.
3. Poha rice is light and easy to digest
Provides the vitamin b1 and hence aids in stabilising blood sugar.
4. Peanuts are usually added to poha preparation and are good source of antioxidants and protein.
5. It contains 20 mg of iron in every 100g raw rice flakes, squeezing a cut lemon on the poha helps in improving iron absorption.
A healthier version to the everyday poha is the red poha, which is made from red rice. The red colour is due to the presence of a pigment called anthocyanin, which is also a flavonoid. Moreover, unlike white rice, red rice doesn't undergo excessive processing, and as such the other bran layer remains intact, which is rich is fiber, vitamin b, and minerals like calcium, zinc, iron, manganese, magnesium etc.
Our endocrine glands work overtime to keep us healthy by secreting hormones which reach each and every cell in our body through the blood. These hormones evoke life changing responses in other cells to keep us alive and healthy. Endocrine surgery is a term for an operation in any one or more endocrine glands in your body.
Types of endocrine glands
- Thyroid gland: This is the most important endocrine gland in your body and it secretes thyroid hormone, which regulates metabolism.
- Parathyroid glands: There are 4 parathyroid glands and these are located behind the thyroid gland in the neck region. These glands secrete the parathyroid hormone which controls calcium levels in the body.
- Adrenal glands: These are located over the kidney. There are 2 adrenal glands and these secrete adrenaline, aldosterone and cortisol- the body’s fight or flight hormone. These also maintain salt levels in the blood and the blood pressure.
- Neuroendocrine glands of the pancreas: These are located in the pancreas behind the stomach. They work to control glucose levels and glucose metabolism.
- Pituitary gland is the master gland of the body: It secretes thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), and other important hormones that control ovaries, thyroid and other endocrine glands in your body.
Depending on the endocrine gland being operated upon, there are different types of endocrine surgeries. The most important ones are-
- Hypophysectomy: This is the surgical removal of the pituitary gland. It is a very sophisticated and critical surgery that surgeons resort to, if there is a tumor in the pituitary gland - especially craniopharyngioma tumors. It can cause atrophy of thyroid, adrenal glands and the ovaries as the pituitary secretes hormones to control their function. In addition, it can result in sterility and sometimes results in a non-functional reproductive tract in both men and women.
- Thyroidectomy: It is an operation that involves removal of the entire or parts of the thyroid gland in the neck. Trained ENT or endocrine surgeons perform this operation, which is indicated for thyroid cancer or hyperthyroidism, goiter or Graves disease. Sometimes it is done for treating an enlarged thyroid gland or obstructions in the neck region, causing problems in swallowing or breathing. In cases of total thyroidectomy patients will need life long thyroid hormone supplementation. Sometime patient can have change in voice which is usually temporary.
- Since the thyroid produces several hormones like thyroxine (T4), triiodothyronine (T3), and calcitonin, you will have to take oral synthetic hormones all your life post surgery. The thyroid is usually removed through an incision in the neck. These days there is the option of minimally invasive surgeries too.
- Adrenalectomy: It is the removal of one or both adrenal glands to treat tumors of the adrenal glands. It is done using an open incision or laprascopic technique.
- Pinealectomy: It is a surgical procedure in which the pineal gland is removed.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I had unprotected sex on 10th June and within the next hour I took unwanted 72. I experienced withdrawal bleeding from 21st to 23rd June. My last period was from 29th May to 1st June and as predicted by my period app, my scheduled period date was 30the June but I'm 8 days late. So I took a pregnancy test (I Can) which was negative. I still haven't gotten my period. Is pregnancy possible?
Trigger thumb is a painful clinical condition in which the terminal phalanx if the thumb gets locked in a state of flexion. Sometimes it is bilateral i. E. Involving both hands. Big toes of the feet are usually not involved. The condition at some stage may become painless. It is more common in diabetics.
Trigger thumb is caused as a result of inflammation of the tunnel of the thumb in which the (flelexor pollicis longus) tendon moves. As a result the tunnel gets narrowed, usually at the metacarpo phalangeal joint and arrests the gliding movement of the tendon. Sometimes there is a nodule formation in the tendon at the same place producing obstruction to the tendon movement.
Non steroid anti inflammatory drugs help in reducing pain and swelling. Physiotherapy helps in regaining movements of the joint. Sometimes in local infiltration with steroids gives relief. However long term effects of steroids are not desirable.
Surgical treatment if the medical treatment does not succeed, then surgical release of the tendon should be undertaken. It a one stitch surgery which can be done under local anesthesia with constantly good results.
Congenital trigger thumb some children are born with it. The congenital variety is usually bilateral. In these cases the treatment is surgical only. It should be done early otherwise the terminal phalanx of the child will not grow and remain small in size.