Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Flexible Partial Dentures Procedure
Acrylic Dentures Procedure
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sangeetha ShankarguhanYour feedback matters!
I have my tooth decaying inside and with cavity due to which I get severe pain when any food stuff get stuck to it.
I am 33 years old male. I have behcet? s disease from last 3 months. What should I do for best precaution?
Bad breath, also known as halitosis, can occur due to a multitude of reasons and is quite disconcerting. Chewing gum, using breath mints and mouthwash are just temporary solutions as they do not address the problem. Read on more to find all about the different causes, symptoms of bad breath and also about their prevention.
- Food: If food particles, which are stuck in and around your teeth start decaying, they promote bacterial growth, which causes a foul odor in the mouth. Eating certain foods, such as spices, onion and garlic also cause foul odor.
- Tobacco products: Smoking and chewing tobacco not only causes gum disease, but also causes a foul odor to be present, thus causing bad breath.
- Poor dental hygiene: If you do not brush daily, food particles in your mouth get stuck in your mouth between the teeth in particular, which decay and cause bad breath. A form of bacteria known as plaque forms over the teeth, which over time decays teeth and also causes foul breath.
- Dry mouth: A medical condition known as dry mouth, also known as xerostomia can contribute to bad breath as in this condition; the amount saliva produced from the salivary glands is reduced. This results in the growth of bacteria, which causes bad breath.
- Medications: Some medications can cause foul breath in an indirect manner as they cause dry mouth as a side effect, which in turn causes bad breath. Other medications break down in your body and the chemicals, which the medicine contains can be carried on your breath.
Dentists would usually rate the odor from your mouth either by smelling or by using certain sophisticated odor detectors. The back of the tongue is often the source of smell and the dentist is also likely to scrape the region and rate its odor.
- Maintaining oral hygiene: If the bad breath is due to the formation of plaque, brushing and flossing on a regular basis will prevent its growth, thus reducing or eliminating bad breath. Using mouthwashes also kills bacteria, hence eliminating the bad breath causing bacteria from your mouth.
- Treatment of dental disease: Gum disease can also cause bad breath as in this disease, the gums pull away from the teeth, which gives scope for bacterial growth causing bad breath. Treating gum disease, thus would also eliminate the scope for bacterial growth and eliminate bad breath at the same time. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dentist.
I have pain my back teeth. I check my family doctor. And coming pass in back teeth he said its normal not any major issue. What I do.
Huge number of Indians tend to ignore or abuse their dental health. Most adults in the country need regular scaling due to their food and lifestyle habits.
Teeth scaling is one of the most common methods used for treating gum disease. This procedure helps remove plaque and tartar (causes of gum tissue inflammation) build-up on your teeth. In a nutshell, it reverses the occurrence of gum disease, while preventing further development of it into a serious condition. A non-surgical procedure, teeth scaling is different from a normal dental cleaning as it involves cleaning the tooth areas that are under the gum line. It removes substances that cannot be removed through brushing.
The importance of scaling
In addition to giving you healthy gums, dental scaling is important for reducing your risk of having a heart disease. If you’re wondering how teeth scaling is connected to your heart, here’s how – several studies show that gum disease can increase your risk of heart disease as the bacteria that build up along the gum line get dislodged, enter your blood and attach themselves to the blood vessels, causing the formation of clots. These clots then cause a drop in your blood flow to the heart, bringing about a rise in your blood pressure, and consequently increasing your risk of a heart attack.
How often it must be done?
To keep your gums and teeth in good condition, it is best to go for teeth scaling every 6 months. This is because as you age your saliva becomes thicker with a decrease in its water content. As a result, your mouth becomes more prone to dryness, thereby allowing the food and bacteria to remain longer in the mouth, causing the formation of plaque. A soft sticky film on the teeth, plaque continues to form in your mouth and begins to mineralize into tartar within 10-14 hours. This makes it all the more necessary to get this job done on a regular basis.