Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Submit a review for Dr. Sakundala Barathi MYour feedback matters!
When it comes to health, there is no taking a chance. Most of us are in the habit of storing some medicines at home, which could come in handy, say for a headache or an acidity attack. However, these often remain in the medicine kit for a long time before they are actually used. So, finally when the day arrives when there is an actual need for it, we are not sure if it is still usable. The one thing we dread is the use of a medicine, which is past its expiry date.
What if there is an adverse event? What if there is a complication or a side effect?
Then, if we are not in a position to get a fresh pill, we would rather endure the pain or acidity than pop that outdated pill. Is it really prudent to do so? I say otherwise. Most medicines have the expiry date to indicate the date or time, until when the drug would have the most potency and efficacy. Meaning to say, the drug may become weak (take longer to act or may require more of the drug to produce the same effect) when taken after the listed expiry date.
The truth is that most pharma companies list a date, which could be months, if not years, ahead of the actual expiry date. In reality, a drug never really expires. Most medicines can be used up to a few months after this date. Some medicines may even be useful after years of their expiry date.
It depends as to what the medicine is for:
- Painkillers are usually harmless to take beyond the expiry date. If there is no effect (even prolonged), then try to get a fresh one.
- Chronic medications like anti-hypertensives and anti-diabetic medications can be used up to a few months at the most, not beyond. Make sure to monitor readings to check for the efficacy. Often times, a greater dose may be required to get the desired effect, but this should not be done without medical supervision.
- Biologic products like EpiPen, eye drops or injectable substances should not be used, if they are cloudy. In fact, most of these should be kept for a very short period after opening.
- With any expired medicine, keep your doctor posted, especially your chronic meds to seek further advice and information.
The place and the way the drug is stored also may help in retaining its strength. A drug stored in the fridge is safer than something stashed away in a cupboard with a lot of other things. Keep these in mind, and take a call! If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.
Hello sir/madam Two of my friends are in trouble Thing is they had sex without safety Girl is19 year-old and boy is20. Girls is not getting periods from a month but they had sex on last Saturday and she took I pill. So does the fertilization takes place or not? She won't be pregnant right?
I am a 23yr old female and I have pimples on my face and I also have an ovarian cyst. So what measures should I have to take to overcome this problem.
Is there any problem by doing sex weekly? Is there any advantages by doing sex or any disadvantages?
Jst diagnosed PCOD, doctor gave me hormonal n other medicine but no medicine for periods to cum, have missed my ds months period already, Next month m getting married, can I get my periods.
I am a 28 year old female and I am having some problem in the genital part since morning, I am worried if its an infection or a wound inside, its a kind of sensation there as I am not able to pee comfortable and completely in one time, I also noticed a little blood coming with urine. Is yesterday night sex a reason for this problem? Shall I go and see a doctor or wait for 2 days?
After taking 1 tablet of mifepristone & 4 tablets of misoprostol it's 16 hours but no bleeding then what to do?
My period is on 5th of every month but before one week just little little blood wil come why is that and its normal please help me I'm worried?
Sir I have no sexual desire. And there problems of pimple on my face. It irritates me. My vagina always dry. I faced problems with this. My request is to please solve this.
You are about to go on stage to face an audience. Palms sweaty, heart racing and a fear gripping your in such a way that your feet or tongue refuse to move? Relax. You are having a bout of stage fright. The first and most comforting thing to know is that the biggest and most popular performers and speakers also go through a bout of nervousness before their big show. And yet, when you see them on stage, you'll not detect an ounce of it. You can be that person too.
Why do you experience stage fright? Being the center of attention among an audience focused only on you can trigger thoughts of a bad or unconvincing performance resulting in loss of reputation, mockery and a perception of failure. The physical response your body has to this is called "fight or flight" syndrome which is a natural process designed to protect you.
So how do you face the situation and get better of it? Here are a few steps to get you there:
- Self-hypnosis / Hypnotherapy for stage fright: Imagine if you believed that you are a master public speaker and can feel calm and confident during every performance! A self-hypnosis or hypnortherapy session allows you to reach out into the recesses of your subconscious mind and harness its power to handle stressful situations like a stage performance. You may have heard the common adage of - You are what you believe; and this therapy proves it. The process will help you visualize your actual performance and link it with positive, encouraging and enjoyable images which will replace your anxiety with confidence. You can either visit a consultant or buy a CD online.
- NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) for stage fright: NLP was created in the 1970s by Richard Bandler and John Grinder in California as a connection between neurological process, linguistic and behavioural patterns learnt through experience or programming. NLP claims to cure everything from phobias to depression to even the common cold. Though not scientifically proven, NLP uses a set of mental exercises to allow you to change your perception and blockages and hesitation into positive actions. Similar to hypnosis, it'll allow you to program yourself to believe and practice for a positive outcome in order to achieve it.
- Add the wow factor: Anyone giving you their time deserves to leave with a 'wow'. Add facts, figures or moves that'll give them that. Add 'your' touch and style to it.
I am trying to conceive baby from last 6 months but able to do it. I wan to understand more about IVF and surrogacy.
After eating a meal to your heart’s content, it is very normal to burp or belch. However, it is normal only when it happens occasionally, or after a meal, for someone used to a contented meal every single time. On the other hand, excessive burping or belching can happen due to two reasons.
- Excessive air intake: There are multiple ways that excessive air can reach the food pipe. Sucking on straws, chewing gum constantly and ill-fitting dentures are some common reasons for burping.
- Digestive problems: Ulcers in the stomach, prolonged gastric, gallstones and rarely, esophageal or stomach cancers can also cause burping.
When to see a doctor
Check with a doctor if you have persistent burping, followed by a meal or otherwise, and accompanied by the following symptoms.
- Go slow when eating and/or drinking: Most of us are pressed for time and eating and/or drinking has now become a task that needs to be finished quickly. Eating fast causes air to be swallowed, and therefore one of the best ways to stop burping is to eat slowly. Sitting in a calm, relaxing environment when eating also allows one to enjoy the food and avoid or stop burping.
- Avoid taliking while eating: There is always so much to catch up, whether at home or outside. So, talking while eating is a common practice. This is not just bad manners, but there is also a lot of air that is swallowed, which leads to burping. A solution is to chew the food properly, which not just helps stop burping, but also aids in better food digestion by mixing it adequately with saliva.
- Substitute coke with water: Carbonated drinks are another reason for belching. Replacing them with water, tea, or anything noncarbonated is advisable, not just from burping perspective, but also from the excessive sugar consumption. Carbonated drinks are just sugar solutions, and are absolutely of no nutritive value.
- Avoid straw: When possible, drink from a glass and avoid straws. This reduces the amount of gas taken in and helps stop burping
- Quit smoking: Quitting it has multiple health benefits, and getting rid of smoking is just one of them.
- Dentures: Ill-fitting dentures can be a reason for belching, and so they should be checked and corrected, if required, in a person who has persistent burping.
- Chewing gum: Constantly chewing gum contributes to burping, and so avoiding chewing gum or sucking on hard candy is another way to control burping.
- Avoid certain foods: Foodstuffs like broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, sprouts, and lentils can produce excessive gas and should be avoided in people who have persistent burping.
Follow the above steps in your daily routine; still if your burping problem persists, it is time to consult your physician.
- There are two level of your mind: conscious or subconscious.
- You think with your conscious mind & whatever you habitually think sinks down into your subconscious mind, which create according to the nature of your thoughts.
- Subsconscious mind is the seat of your emotions & is the creative mind. If you think good, good will follow; if you think evil, evil will follow. This is the way your mind works.
- Your subconscious mind accepts what is impressed upon it or what you consciously believe. It does not reason things out like your conscious mind,& it does not argue with you controversially.
- Your subconscious mind is like a soil, which accepts any kind of seed, good or bad.
Your thoughts are active and might be likened unto seeds. Negative, destructive
thoughts continue to work negatively in your subconscious mind, and in due time will come forth into outer experience which corresponds with them.
- Subsconsious mind does not engage in proving whether your thoughts are good or bad, true or false, but it responds according to the nature of your thoughts or suggestions. Example if you consciously assume something as true, even though it may be false, your subsconscious mind will accepts it as true and proceed to bring about results, which must necessarily follow, because you consciously assumed it to be true.
- The law of your mind is this: you will get a reaction or response from your subsconscious mind according to the nature of the thought you hold your conscious mind.
Hi Age 26, Day of cycle 10, follicular scan report is follicle left ovary size 2.6*2.5, ET: 1.2 cm and irregular endometrium. Is this report normal? Last month I have ovulated on 12 day, on which day I may ovulate this month. Is it possible to conceive this month.
- do not forget to take the medicines as prescribed by the doctor.
I am just worried that I have problems with my health. They were saying that menstrual cramps is quite normal, but I've just noticed that most of them can still handle the pain and function well. But with me, it was really painful to the point that I really can't stand, walk, and function well. It feels like my uterus is killing me. I always depend on painkillers and sometimes they are not working with me. I don't want to depend on medicines anymore. It was just really hard, is this still normal?
HI, I am trying to conceive since jan 2015, m taking spine 50 mg and this is my 4th cycle. My thyroid was 18 4 months back and now it is 0.08. Are there any chances to conceive this month? please suggest. Please note: my progesterone is also checked and is 18.2. Please advice.
Hello. I am recently been diagnosed by pcod. I got my last periods on march 10th. But from past 5 years I have irregular periods. I consulted a doctor she asked me to usg, prolactin and thyroid test. Prolactin and thyroid test was normal. Usg depicted that I have pcod. Doctor asked me wait til april 15th to c if I would get my periods on time if not she asked me to start on regestrone from 15th of april for that I would get my periods by 25th after which from 5th day of my periods she asked me to take ginette 35 6 cycles for 6 months. I had an intercourse with my partner on 17th april (i was on regestrone) we did use condom but he has a doubt that the sperms might have gone in. I waited for my periods til 25th but its been delayed by 12 days, to confirm if am pregnant I did hcg urine test at home the result was negative. Please assist me. Am I pregnant? What do I need to do? I'm not looking forward to have a baby as of now. If at all i am pregnant can I abort the child?
Contraceptive pills is safe for future pregnancy? If I use saheli for 3+year so saheli any effect for future baby born? Saheli safe ya not?
Roadside accidents are common and they lead to many health problems in which some may require amputation for removal of one of the limbs to save the life of a person.
Amputation is a life-saving procedure by which a part of the body that has suffered irreversible damage is surgically removed. Amputation is only carried out as a last resort when the infection/ decay spread to the other parts of the body.
Why is this procedure needed?
The most common cause of amputation is blockage of blood circulation. Without blood, the tissues do not get oxygen and begin to decay, and an amputation is carried out to stop the damage from spreading to other tissues. As stated above, an amputation is carried out only as a last resort. The surgeon checks the infected part for the following to make sure that an amputation is required:
- Checking for a pulse close to the region where the cut is to be performed
- Comparing skin temperatures with the affected limb
The surgeon tries to bypass arterial blood from the nearest artery to the affected region to rejuvenate the cells. Some reasons of amputation are:
- Severe injury (extreme burns/ vehicular accidents)
- Cancerous tumor in the bone or muscle
- Serious infection, which has stopped responding to antibiotics
- Thickening of nerve tissue called neuroma
Risks and complications of amputation:
Risk of complication is lower in planned amputations than in emergency amputations. In the case of a planned amputation, the surgeon will shape individual muscles for future prosthetic limbs, smooth out rough bones and bone fragments and take care of all the loose ends of the procedure. In emergency amputations, however, the limb is amputated very fast and bleeding is stopped as soon as possible. The following complications may arise as a result of amputation procedures:
- Heart complications
- Venous blood clots
- Slow wound healing or infection of the wound
- Stump or "phantom limb" pain
- Psychological problems