Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. S.Sridevi
Treatment of Underweight & Malabsorption Disorders
Weight Management Treatment
Treatment of Pcod Problems
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Nutrition For Pregnant Women
Management of Weight Loss
Submit a review for Dr. S.SrideviYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Dr. S.Sridevi provides answers that are knowledgeable, helped me improve my health and very helpful. It's helpful thank you for helping
Dr. S.Sridevi provides answers that are very helpful. Thanks really thanks
Dr. S.Sridevi provides answers that are very helpful. Thankyou ma'am
She is advising a right way and also I admire her friendly manner.
Dr. S.Sridevi provides answers that are very helpful. Very great
Hi Sir, Please suggest me any treatment by which I could make my legs stronger because I can't do even one sit up and can't jump also. please I want to recover from this problem as soon as possible. People make fun of me as I am not able to climb stairs without support.
What is sarcopenia?
It’s the loss of muscle mass, strength & function as one ages. Though everyone is at risk of sarcopenia, it’s most commonly seen in people who lead a sedentary lifestyle. Other factors that may contribute to this condition:
- Hormonal change with age
- Change in protein requirements with age
How does it affect routine life?
- Impairment of daily functioning as muscle mass & strength are required for effective functioning of body
- Disables the aged people
Who is at risk?
- Age more than 40 years
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Low protein intake
How to prevent?
- Proper nutrition: Adequate nutrition is essential to prevent loss of muscle mass with age.Older adults may need more protein per Kg body weight to retain the muscle mass. They may require 1.0 to 1.2 g/kg of body weight per day to maintain the optimal level.
- Exercise: Resistance training is extremely effective for improving muscle mass and strength.Incorporating this fitness regimen in everyday activity helps in reducing the risk and also in prevention of sarcopenia.
- Supplements: Appropriate supplements can be given if required. For example, maintaining optimal vitamin D level using supplements aids in muscle strength and physical performance.
How to manage life with sarcopenia?
- Nutritious diet
- Increase physical activity
- Appropriate steps to avoid falls and fracture