Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
Laser Cataract Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. S.Shanthi PriyaYour feedback matters!
My eyes are paining daily and below my eyes black spots are appearing near my eyes could you give me preventive measures.
I am 58 years old with Diabetic History of 15 years. During my routine check of eyesight I am told that I have catract in priliminary stage. My doctor says it is better to get operated in early stage. is this correct.
Hi I am student now I dealing with computer for software but due to long and continuous seating in front of computer I am facing eye and back problems please give any solution or medicine.
Hello sir mujhe cough ki problem hai from 3 month and eyes bhi thodi pain hoti hai please suggest me.
Can you please tell me how to to improve vision and also about night vision? I am asking about diet.
I'm 20 years old, lately I found that I have eyesight. I don't wanna use any spectacles. Any other way?
I have red eyes for over 3 days. Its also itching mostly the right hand side one. Its itching very hard. What should I do. Thank you sir in advance.
Hiii. I'm omprakash. Mujhe eyes me problem rehta h. Pain rahta h.dryness feel hota h bcoj me online smart phone pe business karta hu. So please advice me how I be free from this problem.
I am 22 years old girl. I have specs I have 3 & 3. 5 no of my eyes I dont wanna go through any surgery or something like that. I want to have some natural or medicines by which I can remove my glasses. Please reply as soon as possible.
I think My eye sight is dropping day by day, and I'm just 13 years old, I watch 2 hr TV and use 1 hr laptop only which I think is common because my brothers do same as well. My eyes hurt when I study. Can you suggest me some remedies?
Recently I check up my eyes and that day my eyes number is also increased. Now after 15 days of checkup my left eye retina again increased why my eyes retina and number is increasing rapidly. How to stop it or how can the number can be decreased?
My face has become dull due blackheads I used many cosmetic but it still appear. I do not know why I feel tired up every day my eyes get tired my teeth. I know what to do please tell what to do?
Hi my Age is 25 and a healthy personality. I've small pain sometimes on my chest also my eyes are going reddish I'm a software engineer can you advice me for over come them.
If you thought smoking was causing damage to only your lungs, thing again. Your eyesight, one of your most valuable possessions, is at high risk of damage because of your bad habit.
The damage done to your eyes by cigarettes happens from two sources; the toxic smoke that hangs in the air which surrounds you as you puff on the cigarettes and 4000 odd toxic substances that enter your bloodstream once you smoke. In extreme cases, smoking also causes loss in vision.
Here is a list of eye disorders and diseases, which can be caused due to smoking:
- Macular degeneration: The risk of developing Age-related Macular Degeneration is there for people above the age of fifty. In case of smokers, the chance of developing AMD is three times more than in nonsmokers. It has been proven that smokers develop the chance of AMD ten years prior to non smokers.
- Cataract: This process involves the clouding of the lens inside the eye. Cataract develops with old age, usually. The risk of developing early cataract is common among smokers, who are twice at risk of cataract than non smokers. The effect of the cataract in the case of smokers is more severe.
- Glaucoma: Glaucoma is the eye disorder where the death of nerve fiber layer behind our eyes takes place, and that results in loss of vision. The increase in pressure within the eyes leads to glaucoma. Smoking enhances the pressure in your eyes, and so smokers are at a potential risk of acquiring this disease.
- Diabetic eye diseases: A number of eye diseases are accompanied with diabetes. This can result in blindness when left ignored or not paid attention to in severe cases. Diabetic patients who are smokers are three times more at a risk of eye diseases associated with diabetes.
- Optic neuropathy: This eye disease causes sudden loss of vision to the eyes without any pain. It happens due to the disrupted flow of blood in the arteries of the eyes. Smokers are 16 times more at a risk of developing optic neuropathy at an earlier age.
- Thyroid associated eye diseases: Patients having thyroid issues or Grave's disease have disorders in their vision. Grave's disease patients who smoke tobacco are likely to develop severe eye diseases associated with the thyroid.
- Dry eye: Smoking causes irritation to the eyes and affects the tear film of the eye. Smokers and passive smokers are likely to develop dry eye disorders. Smoking causes a lot of eye diseases and disorders, and smokers are at a higher risk of acquiring eye diseases than non smokers.
There are many reasons why we are required to wear glasses or contact lenses including poor vision, far sightedness, inward eyelids and a variety of other conditions. These contact lenses have to cleaned, worn and stored properly so as to avoid complications in the eyes. Contact lens discomfort includes symptoms like redness, puffiness, swelling, itching, watering and burning of the eyes along with cloudy vision and pain.
If you are facing contact lens discomfort, here is what you will need to do:
- Cleanliness: The first thing to do when you face even a slight discomfort is to check your lenses properly. You will have to ensure that you clean your contact lenses before and after use, especially if they are not the disposable kind. Yet, any discomfort can point at the fact that there may be some contaminants and infectants lurking around on the surface. Ensure that you clean the lenses again and then wear them. You must make sure that your hands are clean when you are handling them and that you are not using a lint ridden towel to dry them off as this lint can easily get onto the surface of the lenses and cause severe itching, irritation and burning.
- Make Up: Have you used your make up before wearing your contact lenses? Then chances are that you have transferred some of that makeup onto the lenses while wearing them. This makeup can get trapped in the lenses and cause severe discomfort. So remember to apply your makeup only after you have worn your lenses, and remove the makeup only after you have removed the lenses so that you avoid any discomfort.
- Type of Contact Lenses: Prolonged discomfort and pain may point at the fact that your contact lenses are less than ideal for you. You may want to book an appointment with your ophthalmologist in order to check the lens fit and size as well as the material of the lens, as unbeknownst to us, we may be allergic to certain material. Find out whether you need a hard or a soft material or if the soft disposable lenses have some elements that are not suiting your eyes and skin.
- Environmental Factors: You may also want to check with your doctor about conditions like humidity and heat as well as harsh winters and rain in case your contact lenses are causing problems for you. The doctor may be able to change the contact lenses as per the weather conditions so that you are more comfortable.
Tear film stability and dryness of the eye should also be checked before wearing a certain type of contact lens. If you wish to discuss about any specific eye problem, you can consult a specilized opthamologist and ask a free question.